Glock Condition 2 Carry Option?

PDA

GLOOB
September 16, 2007, 10:40 PM
Ok, I would never even consider carrying like this. But I WAS curious whether anyone else had considered doing this, so I googled, and couldn't find anything. So here it is. Mind you it's just here to be flamed, not to be taken seriously. There are several safety issues here, which should be obvious.

1. Field strip the Glock, removing the slide.
2. Lift the barrel out, and place a live round inside.
3. Replace the barrel and reassemble
4. Push the slide back till it clocks, but doesn't reset the trigger.
5. Place a full mag.
6. To ready, partially rack the slide to reset the trigger, but not enough to cause a double feed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock Condition 2 Carry Option?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Joe the Redneck
September 16, 2007, 10:46 PM
Very cute. I bet someone out there tries it one of thses days! :)

I think I have another method.

Disassemble Glock, sell Glock.

Buy gun with safty switch until operater learns to keep finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target.

Joe

Lennyjoe
September 16, 2007, 10:50 PM
I've carried a Glock with one in the pipe for years. G-19 and G-20 both with rounds in the pipe. Why carry any other way:confused:

spartan55
September 16, 2007, 10:59 PM
I carry the same way

orionengnr
September 16, 2007, 11:18 PM
Any carry method that deliberately requires the use of both hands to bring the pistol into a useable condition is downright crazy. The only advantages of a pistol are a) concealability and b) one handed operation.

If you have serious doubts about the safe carry of your pistol, sell it and buy something with a design more to your liking.

Please. All this talk about Glock Saf-T-Blocks or disassembling/reassembling a pistol just to put it in a certain configuration (never intended by it's designer) shows a fundamental distrust of it's design. FWIW, I'm not picking on Glock guys; all the Condition Three discussions on 1911 threads fall into the same category.

Pick something you are comfortable with. Use it as designed. Or come up with something better, and we'll all buy it.

Quiet
September 16, 2007, 11:22 PM
But I WAS curious whether anyone else had considered doing this
No.
:cuss:

GRIZ22
September 16, 2007, 11:37 PM
Why would you want to do this? I've carried Glocks (5 or 8 lb trigger) for 9 years with a round in the chamber ready to go. The idea of being able to partially rack the slide under stress is absurd.

If you don't trust carrying the Glock the way it was designed to, find something that is more comfortable to you.

Geronimo45
September 17, 2007, 12:23 AM
I think the OP is stating the answer to a possible future 'trivia question': "Is it possible to carry a Glock in condition 2?"

He mentioned at the beginning that he didn't advocate it. Interesting, not expected to be used.

Condition 2 seems to be best with DA guns, to say the least. :D

rosco22
September 17, 2007, 12:36 AM
Some folks just think way to much . Not enough doing .

6. To ready, partially rack the slide to reset the trigger, but not enough to cause a double feed.

I would like to see ya pull the slide back just so far under stress ..........aint going to happen , you'll be dead .

Carry a sidearm in Con 1 or dont carry a sidearm .........:cuss:

skinewmexico
September 17, 2007, 02:29 AM
I'm sure you could partially rack the slide in an emergency situation. Yeah right.

Glockman17366
September 17, 2007, 07:29 AM
Sounds like a recipe for a first shot jam to me...
Or, an ND when you're replacing the slide.

M1 Shooter
September 17, 2007, 10:36 AM
That practice is very dangerous to do with a Glock. First of all, it defeats ALL the internal safeties. When the trigger is in it's fired position, the firing pin/striker is in it's forward position with the pin sticking out of the slide. Those of you with Glocks, go check it out. So in other words, a Glock carried this way would have the firing pin resting right on the primer of the chambered round, substantially increasing the risk of an AD if the gun is dropped or struck hard on the back of the slide.
PLEASE, DO NOT DO THIS!!

If you want a gun to carry in condition 2, please go buy one that was meant to be carried this way, like a SIG or Beretta 92.

Jim Watson
September 17, 2007, 10:40 AM
Back in the early days of Glocks in the US market, there were some fools actually doing that. I knew a dealer who took one in on trade and found the striker down on a live round.

CountGlockula
September 17, 2007, 12:29 PM
I agree with M1 Shooter: DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Hauptmann
September 17, 2007, 12:40 PM
This is a Darwin Award in the making......

Obiwan
September 17, 2007, 12:48 PM
Do a search on Chamber empty or Israeli method

Been done to death

My Advice

Find a weapon you are comfortable carrying loaded

lanternlad1
September 17, 2007, 01:37 PM
+1
My wife won't carry a semi chambered, so I have her carrying a revolver. You never know when that split second will be the one you never get.

Black Majik
September 17, 2007, 02:33 PM
At that point you might as well carry a loaded mag with empty chamber, you'll be doing the same thing. However, there is only ONE way to carry a Glock firearm. Loaded magazine, loaded chamber. Everything else is a deathwish.

DoubleTapDrew
September 17, 2007, 02:43 PM
Would the extractor still grip the rim if you put a round in the chamber then put the barrel back in?
That sounds like a horrible way to carry. Under stress you'll either rack it so hard you'll send the round into the next zip code or if you try to do it just enough you're asking for a double feed.

MrPeter
September 17, 2007, 03:02 PM
Sounds like you would end up ejecting the round or causing a doublefeed unless you had some kind of mechanical stop that wouldn't allow you to rack the slide too far. That mechanical stop would of course only have to be there for one rack of the slide, otherwise it would cause your gun to not cycle.

All in all it sounds like a horrible idea. If you want to carry condition two, get something with a decocker or DAO. I'm sure that you'll have tons of people here on THR willing to give you recommendations based on what you like or don't like about the glock. Not me though, I'm a SAO or SA/DA guy. No glocks for me, XD all the way :D

I will say though that I don't believe in the "all or nothing" mentality's effectiveness. Not everything is black or white. You can have an effective and quickly accessible means of self defense without condition one or condition three. Condition 2 is a fine alternative, or carrying a revolver on an empty cylinder (which I would argue is a waste of a round unless your revolver doesn't have a transfer bar) can cast at least a shadow of an idea of more safety for some people. When I started to carry I carried for some time condition 3, feeling very uncomfortable with the idea of a loaded pipe. Now, condition 1 will a topped up mag or nothing.

For those of you who may be new:

Condition 1 : One round in the chamber, hammer cocked back, safety on
Condition 2 : One round in the chamber, hammer safely decocked, safety may be on or not present
Condition 3 : Chamber empty, hammer down, safety usually off if present

Gun Slinger
September 17, 2007, 06:39 PM
GLOOB,

I know that you just put it out there to be "flamed" and "flamed" is what it got.

I would say that regardless of the particular pistol's design, be it a Glock, S&W, Colt or Springfield, that doing anything that would circumvent the safeties within the pistol's construction would be an inherently foolhardy pursuit and an ill-advised one at that. If someone were to seriously consider doing this because they did not like the pistol that they had, my advice would be to dump it in favor of something that is a better fit for what they want in a pistol design.

As mentioned above, anyone attempting such a task would definitely be a strong contender for the "Darwin Award".

I am glad to see that everyone here, sees it for the bad idea that it is.

G/S

mballai
September 17, 2007, 07:53 PM
This is a very bad idea. For about six months when I first carried a Glock I was rather nervous about having an AD. Frankly this is really quite silly. You have to consciously pull the trigger for the gun to fire. If your finger never goes near the trigger, the gun isn't going to go bang.

There is a safety that can be installed in a Glock if you really aren't comfortable with the Glock design. I don't think it's at all necessary. It detracts from the gun's design.

Harley Quinn
September 17, 2007, 08:27 PM
I leave the chamber empty around the house. Really not a biggie to jack one in very fast. It seems prudent to me anyway.:uhoh:

I have the trigger in the fired position and know it is Chamber empty. I likee;)

HQ

CTPistol
September 17, 2007, 09:14 PM
I think that consistency is the key, dont carry chambered half the time and empty the other half...be consistent and train frequently. Its the guys who mix it up who seem to get the NDs

That being said, IMHO a Glock is best to be carried chambered and in a high quality holster.

CTPistol
September 17, 2007, 09:16 PM
I think that consistency is the key, dont carry chambered half the time and empty the other half...be consistent and train frequently. Its the guys who mix it up who seem to get the NDs

That being said, IMHO a Glock is best to be carried chambered and in a high quality holster.

My concerns about this intially were if someone else got ahold of the gun (kids) - solution - chambered and ON ME or IN THE SAFE. period.

jAK-47
September 17, 2007, 10:02 PM
I traded in my Glock for a hammer - but I keep the rubber tip on the end of it for safety reasons just in case... NOT!!!

Seriously, I'm not quick or agile enough to do anything to a gun when adrenalin is pumping; getting it out of the holster at IDPA matches and pulling the trigger is about all I can manage so if someone was actually trying to kill me I think I'd drop the gun trying to grab the slide. But that's just me.

jAK-47

Harley Quinn
September 17, 2007, 10:19 PM

My concerns about this intially were if someone else got ahold of the gun (kids) - solution - chambered and ON ME or IN THE SAFE. period.

Yea probably the best thing for sure. I don't have kids around the house. But in CA it is best, as you describe.:scrutiny:

HQ

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock Condition 2 Carry Option?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!