revolver guys, i need your reason.

PDA

WinchesterAA
September 17, 2007, 01:50 AM
What's your favorite revolver and why?

If your revolver isn't already perfect, what would make it perfect?

assume someone was gunna build you your perfect revolver.. what would it be?

If you enjoyed reading about "revolver guys, i need your reason." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nero45acp
September 17, 2007, 02:20 AM
I have small hands so for me the perfect revolver would be a blued Colt D-frame .38 Special with a 4" full-lug barrel (like Colt's short-lived Police Positive Special MK V) and Badger Custom walnut grips, but with S&W's action (before the lock).

nero

hemiram
September 17, 2007, 02:31 AM
Dan Wesson Model 715 .357, with a 4" heavy vented shroud. I end up going back to the stock target grips for some reason, over the factory service, Pachmyr rubber, and aftermarket walnut finger grooved grips I have.

Next would be the SW N frame Model 28 .357, with Pachmyr rubber grips.
I still regret selling mine 25 years ago.

Stephen A. Camp
September 17, 2007, 02:45 AM
Hello. I reckon that my most favorite revolver from S&W remains a Model 24 in .44 Special.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/NewSWM24ammorock1.jpg
This .44 Special looks great (to me) and is a peach to shoot accurately at the range or in the hunting fields here in Texas. Using warmer-but-not-excessive handloads, it has "handled" anything I've seen fit to "handle" with it.

That said, the revolvers I actually "use" the most are:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/SWM64642rock1.jpg
The S&W Model 642 is my "always" gun and the Model 64 is never far from hand around the house. Speaking only for myself, .38 Special +P 158-gr. LSWCHP is the lower limit I choose to tote for "serious" purposes. Both have proven utterly reliable for me and both are revolvers I practice with quite a bit.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/RugerSP101M642rock1.jpg
When I opt for a belt gun that is a revolver to be carried legally concealed, it is often the 3 1/16" Ruger SP101 along with the "always gun." The Ruger 357 is loaded with Corbon's 125-gr. DPX while the Model 642 is loaded with Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P. Both work with the same HKS speedloader but of course, the reload is the .38 Special ammunition, which will chamber in either revolver. In my view, this is a plus for the combination. I also found the Ruger surprisingly easy to shoot with accurately.

For just general fun, general protection or a house gun, in my view, the good ol' Model 10 4" HB is hard to beat.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/SWM10fourRemRock1.jpg
This would be my favorite Model 10. It is not as old as another one or two I own, but it has a very nice action and groups nicely. In my opinion, these can be loads of fun while serving nicely in other areas of concern.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/GP1003inRust1.jpg
I also am a fan of the 3" Ruger GP100. The reason is that they seem to be very robust and this one's trigger pull is very, very smooth with fixed sights dialed in such that POA matches POI with 145-158-gr. magnums at 15 and 25 yards. This one's served as both a house gun as well as a companion when knocking around in the woods.

My choices may very well not be yours or the next guy's. This is just something that you will have to figure out for yourself, but I hope that this is in at least some small way of help.

I cannot help with the "perfect" revolver. I've been seeking the "perfect" autoloader, revolver and rifle for over 3 decades and have yet to find it...though many come close in my view.

Best and good luck.

BikerRN
September 17, 2007, 04:38 AM
I had the "perfect" Revolvers years ago, but it's gone from my posession now. :(

The Andy Cannon "Street L" was the perfect gun for me. I was just too dumb to realize what I had back then. I'm thinking of getting another gun and having it done up the same way. The only problem is, Andy has passed away, so I'll have to find someone to "copy" his work.

The other "perfect" revolver is my 22-4 Thunder Ranch Revolver as soon as I get it refinished in something other than blue. I'm tossing between Robar NP3 and "Black T". Oh, I forgot to mention, it would be "perfect" without the lock, but I won't disable a "safety" device on a firearm if it's intended use is preserving my life.

Biker

Jimmie
September 17, 2007, 04:55 AM
4" GP100. I have a 6"; my Dad has a 4". I like his better. They've both been about as perfect as can be. No misfires, hits where I aim, my wife can shoot it reasonably well, versatile enough for powderpuff 38 specials or 180gr hard cast 357s... I don't know what else I could ask for.

Black Adder LXX
September 17, 2007, 05:18 AM
GP 100. I love it. I trust it.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/BlackAdderLXX/IMG_0029.jpg

gunman42782
September 17, 2007, 05:20 AM
Another vote for the GP.

ugaarguy
September 17, 2007, 05:40 AM
My current favorite revolver is a 3" heavy bbl RB S&W M65-2. If it were a 3" medium contour pinned & recessed M66 or M19 it would be better. Next improvement would be fitting the quick change front sight system seen on many current S&W Performance Center revolvers. Front blade choices would be a standard black Baughman style ramp, a Patridge type with gold bead, and a similar blade with a small mirrored bead which I believe was made by King's. If there were a way to quickly remove the S&W micrometer click rear and maintain zero upon a quick re-installation that would be great: It would allow one to switch between the micrometer click rear for open carry or target shooting and drop in a heavy duty fixed rear (like the one C&S offers) for concealed carry or rough terrain. Last, to make it truly perfect, it would need the old long action lock work from an early post war K Frame. That would be my perfect .357 Magnum revolver.

Take all of the above and replicate it on a 696 converted to 45 Colt with a spare cylinder setup for .45 ACP. Then I'd have my dream big bore revolver.

gaudio5
September 17, 2007, 05:53 AM
i love my smith 500 & 460 but my fav has to be my cheapy taurus 608 in 357magnum it cost under $450 brand new. 8 3/8 in barrel ported at that. shoots stright as can be and holds 8 yea thats right 8!!!!!! rounds of 357 best gun around for the cash i wouldent do anything to it except replace the stockers with houges.

Stainz
September 17, 2007, 06:56 AM
I love my first S&W - a 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt - so much, I got it a brother. You can plink away with 200gr <700 fps soft plinkers - or load it for perfect woods/urban jungle protection with 255gr LSWC/250gr GDJHP at 850 fps. Very controllable - quite traditional look - especially with Ahrends grips. Naturally balanced - and perfect pointer. Lighter springs and broken-in lockwork combine to make it a joy to shoot, too. Of course, without my basement ammo factory, originally started to feed the first one, ammo would be a problem these days.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_0211.jpg

Upper one is my original - a 2001 production, bought new 8/02. The lower one is a LN '96 version, obrained 4/06. The ammo includes, R-L, a 200gr LRNFP in .45 Schofield, a 255gr LSWC, and a 250gr Speer #4484 GDJHP, all homebrew.

Stainz

Neophyte1
September 17, 2007, 07:20 AM
WinchesterAA: Sir; much to complicated for a simple answer
I prefer Ruger revolvers; single action, and double action
I prefer triggers in single action, very crisp
I prefer adjustable sights
I prefer blue guns in single action
I prefer stock grips
I enjoy the different loadings that Ruger can use
I enjoy the basic concepts of the single action
Double actions; standard grips, adjustable sights, blue or stainless
My woods Ruger; needed trigger clean-up
My carry Ruger; needed trigger clean-up
Carry unit
My SW concealed needs trigger clean-up [and a way to shorten the pull]
I spent my time finding what I like/dislike and proceeded.

Craig

campbell
September 17, 2007, 08:40 AM
These are from a handloaders perspective, so availability and cost of ammo is not a factor.

Medium frame DA: .41 magnum GP100. These can be had from Clements Custom.

Large frame DA: Bowen's "giant GP100 (http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/Projects.htm#The_Real_Super_Redhawk)" in .45 Colt.

Single Action: Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt. Stock they're pretty nice, but customized they are even better.

tbtrout
September 17, 2007, 09:16 AM
S&W 686 no dash. fits me perfect with the wood stocks, shoots like a dream and has one of the best triggers i have ever used.

40SW
September 17, 2007, 09:43 AM
For carry:
Ruger SP101 or GP100: why? they are both flawless, maybe a bit heavy for pocket carry, otherwise perfect. Accurate, reliable, shootable, love em!

For hunting:
Any Freedom Arms.: again flawless! clockwork is perfect, literally.
or a Smith 29 in .44mag.

I also like the Taurus Trackers in .44mag.

Walkalong
September 17, 2007, 10:16 AM
Just one favorite, can't do it.

FA 97 .45 Colt
S&W Mod 14 .38
S&W Mod 10 .38
Redhawk .41 Mag
Redhawk .44 Mag

In no particular order. :)

These fit me well, and I shoot them well. That is what makes them favorites. Pretty is as pretty does. If I don't shoot them well, it does not matter.

Thaddeus Jones
September 17, 2007, 10:22 AM
My S&W model 19, 4" barrel. It has everything needed in a revolver, with absolutley nothing you don't need. Shoots like a laser too.

wheelgunslinger
September 17, 2007, 10:53 AM
my favorite was a Ruger Bisley Vaquero.
I had the cylinder throats honed to the proper diameter for jacketed ammo since they didn't come sized properly from ruger. I added a belt mountain steel base pin, and had a lighter spring set installed. I also had the barrel chopped to 4 5/8".
I worked up defensive loads for it and wound up carrying it with super hot 350 grain jhp hornadys over 22 grains of h110 (don't duplicate this load). I carried it in the woods when I had a business restoring log cabins, and carried it everywhere else I went.
It was a chunk to carry, but I could (with a lot of fun practice) draw and shoot it as fast as I could any pistol or revolver.
And, it made a serious 45 colt devotee of me and several of my friends.

Nowadays, I carry a Dan Wesson 357 that I really love. It's lighter, more compact, and faster handling than the Bi-Quero. But, it doesn't hit near as hard as the 45 colt.

An ideal wheelgun for me would be a DA 45 colt that holds 6 rounds and is between a GP100 and SP101 size.

Flame Red
September 17, 2007, 11:02 AM
My favorite is the Cadallac of revolvers - a 4" Python. Nothing is smoother for DA use.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/flamedred//python.jpg

But I do have some other favorites that deserve mention.

S&W Trail Boss - best single action revolver action

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/flamedred//Trail_Boss.jpg

and of course the S&W 500

MCgunner
September 17, 2007, 11:37 AM
Man, that's tough because each and every one of my firearms has strengths and weaknesses and a niche to fill in my collection. Overall, I like my SP101 for defense, however, it's heavy and bulkier than my Taurus M85UL which is easier to tote and pocketable. I'd rather have .357 magnum, but then, .38 will do the job, the gun has a really sweet DA trigger, and it's easier to carry. Hunting? Well, neither of those will do. I have Blackhawks for that and for general outdoor open carry on hikes and such? Well, I have a medium frame 4" Taurus 66 that's my fave, but others will work.

A man cannot live with just one revolver, ya know.

RPCVYemen
September 17, 2007, 12:09 PM
I wanted to spend $400 new handgun.

For me it was simple - no other new gun in that price class had an nice a trigger as an SA revolver.

I had rented a number of semi's, and liked them. I had fun shooting every gun I ever rented - I am not a revolver bigot. But then I rented a Blackhawk as more or less of a goof. I was completely blown away - by far the nicest trigger on any gun I had rented. Very low trigger pull (< 5#), absolutely no creep.

I think that I would have to spend lot more than $400 on a new 1911 to get as good a trigger as I get out of a stock Blackhawk.

The other advantage of a revolver for me was load insensitivity. I bought a 45 LC. I can shoot anything from 165gr @ 750 fps to 300gr @1300 fps in the, and not worry about the weapon "cycling". From what I read, auto's have a relatively narrow range of power in which they function well, and when you step outside that range, you need to change springs, etc.

Mike

Brian Williams
September 17, 2007, 12:10 PM
2 of my favorites with my daughters Sp101.
The blue one is a S&W 13 3" barrel, the only thing I would like is to have the barrel thinned, similar to an intermediate barrel weight like on a 3" 10-5 or 10-7 and a few 3" model 12's.

The Stainless one is just about perfect. It began life as a 3" Model 65 with a round grip, and has been changed to a 4" standard barrel and moonclipped. I also had a Target trigger and hammer installed which makes for it's use as a hunting gun real nice. I wish I had the front of the frame rounded like on a true standard or pencil barrel frame. It is a great gun and the only mod I might do is to have the front sight milled off and a 1/10" black blade with a gold bead installed in a dove tail.

Another Dream Gun is a 681 that would have a 696 cylinder installed and the barrel reamed to .429 and shortened to 3".

I also have a S&W(9)42, a 642 with a 940 cylinder installed, makes for the best pocket revolver.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45571&d=1159536994

Ala Dan
September 17, 2007, 01:43 PM
100% perfect = my Colt D-frames; I would not trade 'em, even for a new
younger bride~! :uhoh:;):D

cudaman440
September 17, 2007, 02:26 PM
Any one that I have with me at the range or the woods is my favorite at the time. Its like trying to love one of your children over another, it cant be done.:D

Michael Zeleny
September 17, 2007, 03:42 PM
Single action: 1st generation 7.5" Colt SAA. The best balanced handgun ever.
Medium frame double action: 4" Manurhin MR-73, with 4" hollow lug Colt Python as the runner-up.
Large frame double action: 6" Colt Shooting Master, with 6" S&W Registered Magnum as the runner-up.

For a current production build, I would fit a late 3rd generation 7.5" Colt SAA in .45 Colt with a line-bored and custom chambered cylinder with a press fitted bushing. I would also consider USFA flattop target variation in the same configuration.

boalex207
September 18, 2007, 03:30 PM
Smith & Wesson Model 10. The classic American wheel gun.

19-3Ben
September 18, 2007, 04:03 PM
My favorite revolver right now is the Ruger Sp101 3" .357mag.
I have said it multiple times, and I guess I'll say it again. It's the most versatile revolver i know of. It is easily CCWed, tames recoil enough to be a good HD gun, can take any power level of ammo, has a long enough sight place for quick and accurate target acquisition, nice wieght and balance, made well (I fully expect that if I hit it with a sledge hammer, all I'd do is ruin a perfectly good hammer), and good price.

Edit to add:
What could make it better? A full trigger job and tune up from Grant Cunningham. That's it.

Striker
September 18, 2007, 05:01 PM
Dang Brian,

Everytime I see your Mdl 65 "Mountain Gun" I drool all over the keyboard.

As to the question at hand, I like k frames in any flavor, but my favorite is a 1963 vintage Mdl 15 that belong to my dad. It's been rebuilt twice and now wears Mr Birdsongs Black T finish. Though it's semi retired, I still shoot it now and again.

wcwhitey
September 18, 2007, 09:08 PM
In single action, it is my Super Blackhawk 5" .44 Mag. I customized it to my liking shedding some length in the barrel and adding a better front sight. The only thing I would like is a little weight savings, maybe a fluted cylinder or something similar. I rarely shoot knuckle busting loads, mostly medium range SWC's or Specials so a loss of few ounces would not be noticeable but would make it pack easier.

In double action, My Model 15 4" Herrets stocks. The most accurate gun I own, was a true bargain at $199. Not much about it I would change. One gun that I wish would have been offered is the Model 15 2" with a round grip frame. I would buy one in a second. Bill

Vern Humphrey
September 18, 2007, 09:39 PM
I carried a Colt M357 (the predecessor of the Python, not of the Trooper as some say) my first tour in Viet Nam. This is a superb revolver, with an action and trigger the rival of the later Python.

I also have a .22 LR Colt Officers Model Target -- Colt's top of the line when made -- and it is head and shoulders above any other .22 revolver I've ever shot.

I have a Colt New Service in .45 Colt, made in 1906. This is a very fine revolver and much stronger than the SAA. Nevertheless, I don't like to push this gun with hot loads.

I have two Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt -- one made in '76 with 7 1/2" barren and one fairly new with 5 1/2" barrel. Those two are my favorites for hunting.

I also have a 2nd Generation SAA in .357 (no, it's not for sale), and a Colt Detective Special as my "pants pocket" gun.

Rexster
September 18, 2007, 10:40 PM
My favorite individual revolver among the ones I own is Ruger GP100, 4" lugged barrel, stainless steel, with adjustable sights, that I purchased about 1991 or 1992. It has grunge grooves under the extractor, a nice touch that is not present on later Rugers. I can shoot such a GP100, or an S&W L-frame, better than any other handgun, when shooting in a hurry. This particular GP100 is my favorite because it was my duty handgun on an eventful night in 1993. If I got someone to build me a perfect revolver, a GP100 would not be a bad candidate, but I would like a slighly longer barrel and a fixed rear sight, with a custom front sight sight that had interchangeable blades. These days, my newer fixed-sight 4" GP100 gets much more carry time than my old favorite; the slighly lighter barrel and lower-profile rear sight make it ever-so-slightly easier to tote. OTOH, I really like single action sixguns, so if I was going to have one built, I might choose one of those, because stock GP100s are so close to perfection already.

Geronimo45
September 18, 2007, 10:43 PM
Webley Mark VI. Big and odd.

A 3" barrel would be nice. And free Crimson-Trace lasergrips. It's a S&W Model 65-2.

Webley with Dan Wesson-esque replaceable front ends. I think it'd actually work on the Webley. Full-size grip, .45 ACP, moonclipped. With 4" and 6" barrels.

Jim March
September 18, 2007, 10:44 PM
I have a fondness for the Colt SAA's feel - to a point :).

Improvements needed: better sights, lower hammer, as accurate as possible. I prefer a transfer-bar gun. And in a bottleneck cartridge - in the real "old West" I think the 44-40 and 38-40 had a lot going for them. Today, with the various .357-size projectiles floating around, the "best" caliber for general use may be either the 38/44Bain&Davis or 356GNR - necked down 44Mag and 41Mag respectively.

I'm part of the way there, with a Ruger New Vaq as the starting point. It's already shooting 2" at 25yds with factory ammo. A second cylinder in .357Mag to be reamed out to one of the above is my next step.

SDC
September 18, 2007, 10:49 PM
For competition, a 5" 625, but if it was something that I was going to CARRY, it would be a 4" Model 19.

September 18, 2007, 11:26 PM
My 4" Target Grey GP-100 is my idea of all around perfection. My 5.5" Single-Six in .32H&R Magnum is my favorite single action. For a big bore, I'm just getting to know my new 4" Redhawk and see it being added to my favorites before too long.

Snapping Twig
September 19, 2007, 02:37 AM
I'm an S&W guy, so for big bore, that's what I shoot. I have a 3" 629 and I carry it exclusively as a side arm when I'm in the woods, but if I were to make a dream revolver, it would be to strengthen my 5" 25-7 to Ruger/TC levels so I could have the balance and feel I like with magnum 45 power in bear country. Don't get me wrong, a hard cast 260g bullet at 900fps is nothing to sneeze at, but 1200fps is better. :)

I have a Casull in .454, but it's a heavy and large piece. I've hunted W/O a rifle and carried the Casull, but I'd rather pack a rifle and have a side arm for an optional pistol shot, so the Casull generally stays at the range.

I think a man could do a lot worse than a 4" .44, there's little it can't handle in the lower 48 and it packs well.

Michael Zeleny
September 19, 2007, 02:53 AM
I have a fondness for the Colt SAA's feel - to a point . :)

Improvements needed: better sights, lower hammer, as accurate as possible. I prefer a transfer-bar gun. And in a bottleneck cartridge - in the real "old West" I think the 44-40 and 38-40 had a lot going for them. Today, with the various .357-size projectiles floating around, the "best" caliber for general use may be either the 38/44Bain&Davis or 356GNR - necked down 44Mag and 41Mag respectively.
http://www.usfirearms.com/highres/flattoptargetrevolvers.jpg

arctictom
September 19, 2007, 10:13 PM
My favorite is a Taurus 357 tracker , easy to shoot , not to light, but light enough. And my carry piece a Smith model 60 3" bbl 357 , compact enough and
light enough to carry and stout enough for controllability and accuracy with hot 357 loads .
And my 4" Colt Anaconda in 44 mag accurate and reliable , nice protection for 4 legged problems.

tasco 74
September 19, 2007, 10:32 PM
my favorite revolver is a 6" s&w model 27. i always liked the .357 mag caliber and like i told my friends wife when i showed her my model 27 smith... this is THE .357 MAGNUM.. direct descendent of the original .357 magnum revolver the most powerful handgun in the world (in 1935)..... mine is a mod 27-2 pinned and recessed with a patrage front sight.. almost perfect but i dropped it once on a concrete shooting bench:fire:.. outside of sending it back to s&w and haveing them buff out the grrrrs on the barrel and cylinder i wouldn't change a thing on it:cool:..

Revolver Ocelot
September 19, 2007, 10:44 PM
my gp100 is by far my favorite revolver, its durable field cleaning is a breeze, it requires no speacial tools, its reliable and it has a great warranty, not to mention I don't think a smith-wesson (though I own them and love them) could handle the abuse or 250gr 357 ammo I put through them like my gp does.

barnett
September 19, 2007, 10:45 PM
Ruger SP101 3 1/16 barrel .357. try one.

kmrcstintn
September 22, 2007, 02:50 PM
I don't really have an overall favorite, but based upon experiences...

I don't trust Taurus after problems with 3 of their revolvers (605 bobbed hammer & 2 different 7 shot 66's);

favorite type of lightweight snubby is Smith & Wesson 642/442 with internal hammers shooting good .38 +p's;

favorite type of all steel .357 magnum revolver is Ruger GP-100 w/ 6" barrel & my dad's S&W 686 PowerPort w/ 6" barrel (compensator & gas expansion chamber milled/machined into muzzle end of barrel);

not a big fan of .44 mags since I have a hard time controlling them;

favorite type of .45LC single action would be Uberti basic matte finished Cattleman (good overall quality with great prices under $300)--don't have one in the collection anymore

favorite service type revolver is S&W 64 w/ heavy 4" barrel shooting good .38 +p's

my entire handgun collection is this: S&W 642; S&W 64; Ruger GP100...mate these with Marlin 1894C (.38 spl/.357 mag) & I have a good overall caliber matched shooting system

dad has S&W 642 & S&W 686 PowerPort...he'll have access to the Marlin in a month or so

buck460XVR
September 22, 2007, 03:06 PM

My favorite is my S&W 686 with a 6" compensated barrel. Not only is it accurate and attractive, but I can also afford to shoot it all day without getting beat up. Over the years, my wife, my sons and many of my nephews have learned to shoot revolver using this same piece. I may have many other weapons over the years, but I will never be without this one.

sfhogman
September 22, 2007, 03:17 PM
Current favorite is my Smith 620 7- shooter. It has Ahrends grips and has been through the Performance Center. Runners-up include my 5.5" SS Single Six, and an SP101 2.25" DAO.

Jeff

DrLaw
September 22, 2007, 03:17 PM
I started with a model 27, learned to use a Model 66, and stayed with revolvers through my street career. I got a Ruger P85 as my first automatic and it is a nice gun, but I never really got into automatics other than a Mauser HSc (which I should have kept despite it's always biting me), a Ruger Mk II Bull Barrel and an Iver Johnson TP22.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb53/DrLaw45/M-27.jpg

chaim
September 23, 2007, 03:35 AM
Favorite for what? Perfect for what purpose?

For general all-around revolver- a 3" K-frame in .357mag (or maybe a .41mag Taurus Tracker cut down to 3"). Well balanced, heavy enough to be a stable platform for .357mag with easy follow-up shots and good accuracy, light enough (barely) to carry. Put on some "Secret Service" boot grips for CCW, some larger wood for the field or range. I might also have it modified to DAO (but it is not a necessity). With heavy .357mag it is pretty much the minimum for bear defense and will work well for defense against mountain lion if you live in areas where that is a concern, with good .38+P and .357mag loadings it is great for CCW or home defense.

However, for "perfect" you need more than one (so I tell myself whenever I want to add):

-S&W 442. Too light for fun practice, but that same trait makes it great in a pocket. DAO is a good feature for a CCW revolver. Lately, I've found myself handling this more than my other guns for some reason. It is about the perfect pocket carry package (5 rounds of powerful, for pocket carry, .38+P), somewhat controllable for follow-up shots, reasonably accurate at SD ranges, and with wood grips it actually looks pretty good even with the utilitarian finish (and I actually like the look of the hump).

-For general carry it is close between the steel framed J-frame or a 3" K-frame if you want to carry IWB, OWB go with the bigger K-frame.

-For a woods gun, the Taurus Trackers in .41mag or .44mag seem to be it right now. Powerful caliber, relatively small and light package (the Tracker is equivelent in size to the medium frame S&W K-frames, most .41mags and .44mags are large-framed revovlers).

-For the range, a 3" or 4" K-frame shooting .357mags, or a nice N-frame (mine is a S&W 57).

-My personal favorites, I guess I have 4:
-My S&W 65LS and my Taurus 85CH for practical reasons (see general carry above, the 65LS is a 3" K-frame, the 85 is equivelent to a J-frame).
-S&W 57. It is an N-frame in .41mag, do I need to say more?
-My Uberti made Colt 1860 Army blackpowder clone. BP is fun, and this gun is just plain pretty.

vanilla_gorilla
September 23, 2007, 12:28 PM
For an all-around, do-anything revolver, that I'd carry both in town and in the woods, I'll probably always find myself reaching for this Highway Patrolman
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/vanilla_gorilla911/guns001.jpg

My 3 1/2 inch Model 27 like the one above handles slightly better, but I'm afraid I've already let it become a safe queen.

jetman
September 23, 2007, 01:05 PM
I've got too many for a favorite but all my revolvers are Colts.
For carry it would be my Magnum Carry
http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/18709/2175365650010258782S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2175365650010258782xVEVvn)

My favorite shooter is either my Python
http://inlinethumb28.webshots.com/17563/2806801340010258782S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2806801340010258782WcEjOj)

or my Anaconda
http://inlinethumb50.webshots.com/18353/2084713040010258782S600x600Q85.jpg (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2084713040010258782yILjIS)

.44walkersabot
November 7, 2007, 01:53 PM
I guess I'm old fashioned or just dumb. In my life I have owned a couple of colt M-1911-A1's, Ruger Blackhawks, Ruger Redhawks, Smith & Wesson 9mm's with 14 round magazines, and one .454 or .455 or whatever they call it. (looked like an M-1911-A1 except it was thicker and heavier) Never shot it. Had more sense..I alway's came back (have stayed there for many years now and will be there until I die) to a Colt 1849 Pocket .31 with a four inch barrel, and the Colt Walker .44 of 1847 name and fame. My using them is just a habit I guess. I know that people can discuss all day long the .44 mags, the .357's and what not, and I can't say anything because I just don't know, although I damned sure know that just because it work's on paper dosen't mean it really works, and I DO know that from here to there, there is not anything walking the face of this earth today that can get hit solid on by that .457 soft lead ball backed up with 50 grains of Triple Seven 3fff and ever be the same again..Penetration does NOT come out to be the same thing as stopping power and knock down power..

MCgunner
November 7, 2007, 03:34 PM
A deadly accurate and powerful Blackhawk in .45 Colt.

http://imageigloo.com/images/7749PICT0366.JPG

theNoid
November 7, 2007, 06:16 PM

Well, since I currently only own two, I am gonna have to say my S&W 617. Even if I had some bigger wheelies at the time, the 617 would prolly still be my favorite because it is so much fun to shoot, and very cheap going through the Federal bulk ammo.

I am serisouly thinking about going with a Firesight for the front, and white or green outline the rear sight.

Basically I would love to have a revolver in 22wmr that was based on the looks of an old High Standard High Sierra with the longer octagon barrel (8"-10"), but with Ruger Single Six build quality, and a trigger as nice as my 617's trigger. I would prefer this gun to have a highly polished blue barrel and frame, gold plated trigger, hammer, front sight and grip screws, and a nice set of highly figured walnut grips.

Not asking too much am I?

Noidster

floridaboy
November 7, 2007, 07:32 PM
My favorite revolver is my S&W Model 24, no question about it. But, If I could have any revolver built to my perfect specs, a Colt New Service with sights just like my M24. Chambered in .455 Eley. Because? They hit hard, are uncommonly accurate, and not all that commonly found. I like having something different from the rest of the herd.

Ninja42
November 7, 2007, 07:56 PM
I reallly like the 686, and Ive even considered to buy one for quite a while. Especially one of those nifty preformance center ones, they look ever so nice!

And something that I wish they would fix on the wheelguns? Being an auto guy, I heve learned to love serrated squared trigger guards that allow me to easily rest my left index finger on them while I shoot. I know that its just a small thing, but it just annoys me SO MUCH when I shoot with a round trigger guard.

esq_stu
November 7, 2007, 08:01 PM
SP101 snubby

because it's built like a tank and never fails

(I could be persuaded to go with a 3", though.)

Black Knight
November 7, 2007, 08:45 PM
It would be difficult for me to pick a favorite. It would be a tie between my two Colt Pythons, a 6" blue (my first handgun) and a 4" blue (my latest). I have many other S&W's that are very close but I have a special place in my heart for Colt's.

ak-kev
November 7, 2007, 08:50 PM
100% perfect = my Colt D-frames; I would not trade 'em, even for a new
younger bride~!

AMEN!!

S&Wfan
November 8, 2007, 12:23 AM

I guess it HAS to be my 1980 S&W 25-2 Target Revolver in .45ACP. It had the barrel chopped to 3 1/4" by a long passed away Savannah gunsmith years ago . . . . turning it into a sort of Jovino clone, but retaining the square grip profile vs. the Jovino's round butt modification. I prefer the square butt for competition work and general shooting ease, so it has been a great revolver.

I've won dozens of pin matches with this wheelgun, as well as several tactical matches with this wheelgun and it doesn't understand that it's target barrel was skillfully shortened.
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/363/363373/folders/277718/2217523IMG2446.JPG

The double action is stunning to behold, and the single action pull is amazing too.

If the SHTF, I hope and pray that this is the handgun in my hand to defend myself and my family.
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/363/363373/folders/277718/2220845IMG2474-2.jpg

Several things . . .

1. I want to have it skillfully refinished in bright polished blue, ala the original S&W standard . . . or have it redone in bright, polished nickle.

2. I want to have the entire front sight assembly replaced with a new partridge unit.

3. I'd love to have the top of the gun checkered like the Model 27 guns.

4. A set of stag or ivory grips would really set it off, along with a set of Tyler T-grips.

5. I've radically narrowed and radiused the original S&W wide target hammer (for slicker double action use), and would like to have the sides of the trigger, and the hammer, jeweled.

6. I'd like to get the trigger modified for an adjustable trigger stop.

7. I might also want to bob the hammer for double action work.

Refer to my second answer!

T.

Sgt.Dusk
November 8, 2007, 02:45 AM
I love my Taurus Tracker .357Mag 6"
A good scope would make it perfect.

SWMAN
November 8, 2007, 09:31 AM
S&W 686-3 4". You can't beat it for a balance between too big or too small, rugged, accurate and carries easily concealed. Can be used as both a house gun and a CC. Can take a steady diet of magnums or .38 specials. Other than my 686-3 6" power port with red dot, this is it.

armoredman
November 8, 2007, 11:14 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/PICT0022-1.jpg

Perfect. Also my only family heirloom firearm. Doubly perfect.

frenchbushmaster
November 8, 2007, 03:02 PM
For me S&W Revolver.
My favourite is the 629 CLASSIC DX.
For me the best revolver is a 44 Mag loaded with a .44 Special or with a light .44 Magnum.

http://armes-et-tir.net/galerie/albums/userpics/10100/revolver_trio_01.jpg

Power AND control is the best way for me.

My only regret is that with our french law I could not have more gun.
If I dont have limit I gave a 625 .45 A.C.P. and many other snubby .38spe., etc..

bye :)

Tom Servo
November 8, 2007, 03:20 PM
What's your favorite revolver...
S&W 696 L-Frame .44spl.

http://lonelymachines.org/guns/696/696-frontwise_sm.jpg

and why?
Ten shots, DA, ten yards:

http://lonelymachines.org/guns/696/696-target.jpg

The only thing I might change is getting the finish bead-blasted.

A 3" K-Frame in this configuration, or a 3" 7-shot M19 with a thicker forcing cone.

Dark Skies
November 8, 2007, 07:09 PM
The S&W Mod 29 was always my favourite wheel gun. Between 1983 and 1996 I'd built up quite a collection of handguns but the .44 was the most prized - because it was my first and because it was Dirty Harry's gun - the main reason I bought it. All gone now, sadly, the UK government stole them all to keep the media and professional hand-wringers happy.

tuckerdog1
November 9, 2007, 07:15 PM
Dark Skies,

It hurts to read that.

Tuckerdog1

Neophyte1
November 11, 2007, 07:25 PM
WinchesterAA: Sir; what am I going to be doing will dictate which I feel is the best.
Ruger GP100 .357 woods walk about. Blackhawk .357 walk about hunting; Super Blackhawk .44 for getting it done hunting; 638 SW for keeping the peace.
Simple when I have a purpose.:D

lindermant
November 11, 2007, 08:12 PM
my first revolver - a Colt Agent with a bit of work from David Sams. I've come to enjoy it so much, I'm in the hunt for more Colt D-frames... ;)

http://mysite.verizon.net/tlinderman/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/colt_agent_2.jpg

McKay3d
November 11, 2007, 08:39 PM
If I had to keep just one...I guess my 4" Python that came from the Colt Custom Shop 25 years ago. (It cost $100 extra!) It has a buttery smooth double action that I haven't found on any other revolver and a very crisp single action. But since I don't own any wheel gun newer than 10 years old perhaps it could be beaten. I doubt it!

I do love my S&W .44 Triple Lock though....

Dark Skies
November 15, 2007, 12:04 PM
"Hurts to read that." - tuckerdog1

Not as much as it hurt to have to hand them over. Owners were given a set appointment to turn up at the police station and hand them over. The cops were having a field day with my guns - like kids playing with toys - doing Harry Callaghan and James Bond poses all over the place. Not one of them had the presence of mind to check they were unloaded. Just snatched them up and started messing with them. "Who's the real nut with the gun in this room?" I thought.

Incidentally here's a true story.
My appointment was on the same day as I had to hand in my university dissertation (ironically on firearm legislation) and go on holiday. I had to be in several places at once within a few hours and many miles apart.

So I figured I'd drive to college, hand in my paper then drive to the police station to hand over my guns then drive to the airport. The university has a small police station on campus so my plan was to get the cops to look after the guns whilst I gave my paper to my tutor, pick them up afterwards and then go to the main police station in Oxford for my appointment.

When I turned up at the campus police station and spoke to the cop there and explained the situation he told me he was just about to go off duty (for lunch). The other officer was about to walk the campus and the third one said he didn't really have the facilities to hold onto them. Their advice was for me to hang on to them and drop off my papers.

So that's what I ended up having to do. Throughout campus I carried a huge duffel bag filled with a S&W mod 29, a mod 586, two Webley .38s, a Colt 1911, a Browning Hi-Power, a Vostok .22, a Beretta Mod 1934, A Dan Wesson .357 and a little Taurus snub nosed .38 that I picked up at an arms fair long since forgotten. Naturally I also had all the ammunition that went with them. This was less than a year after Dunblane.

So either the cops were totally out of their freaking minds or, likely as not, they realized that the legislation / confiscation was total BS put out by the politicians to appease the professional hand wringers and the press.

It was many many many months before any of us shooters our compulsory buy out payments too.

Gun crime has soared tenfold in the UK since all the legitimate owners had their guns taken from them. So that really worked didn't it.

The bizarre thing was ... for every gun on my firearm certificate I was allowed to replace with a permission (slots they're called here) to buy a rifle - still legal to own.
So having given up my short range, albeit quite powerful arms, I was now able to go out and buy extremely powerful long range rifles. In their twisted world where GUNS = VERY BAD how on Earth does that square up?

amprecon
November 15, 2007, 12:36 PM
Well, it's the only revolver I own right now, so I'd consider it my fav, a S&W model 10.

BlindJustice
November 15, 2007, 01:01 PM
In order
1 S & W 625 in .45 ACP / .45 Auto RIm.
Hogue finger gorrove/checkered Rosewood
The big N-frame soaks up the .45 recoil
2 S&W Model 60
with 38 Spcl +P loads it's a sweetie
3 S&W Model 617 10 shot cyl.
Hogue grip - full size no checkering with in
Coco Bolo wood with a white spacer and rosewood butt
4. S & W 686P
but I haven't fired it yet with it's Hogue COmpact
finger grooves/checkered Rosewood grips which should
help I had the grips for the 617 on it and w/o checkering
they didn't work well..

but my fav. handgun is my 1911

duckjihad
November 15, 2007, 09:58 PM
Well my favorite is my 5 inch 629 classic with Herret Jordan Trooper Stocks. Finest handgun in the world in my opinion.....and the best in my safe, where it usually sits. Most carried, the 642 38 special. If I could own only one...........the 642 cause it's there when needed.....but it would probably be time to steal another state from Mexico like we did with Texas etc if my gov't forced me down to one. God Bless America!

sdj
November 15, 2007, 10:44 PM
:eek: Just one and only one forever and ever?! :eek:

Hmm.... S&W686 2.5", though I'd really miss my 625JM...

Lindermant: that Colt's a beauty!

shane638
November 16, 2007, 12:48 AM
S&W model 638

2ndamd
November 16, 2007, 12:33 PM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/2ndamd/gpsp.jpg\

My favorite to shoot at the range is a either a 4" or 6" GP100 SS. But my favorite to CCW and "do it all" gun is the 3" GP100 backed up with a 2.25" SP101 SS. This is a picture of my two beaters. They have been through 10s of thousands of rounds now and have never gone out of timing (unlike my S&Ws and Colts). The Rugers really are designed well and accurate to boot.

Hard to choose just one though. The 642 makes a really nice "run to the grocery store in your sweats at 11:00 pm", gun. It depends o your needs. The 4" platform is kinda a "do it all" gun platform. But my 3" GP100 is quickly becoming that gun.

Old Dog
November 16, 2007, 01:53 PM
Thought I'd see more love for the K-frames in this thread.

Guess my all-time personal favorite has to be my 4" S&W 19-4 with the great deep bluing that still looks wet ... Best trigger pull ever ... The perfect feel, balance, pointability and outstanding accuracy. Even conceals well for me in a Kramer horsehide vertical scabbard.

Dark Skies - sad story; perhaps you should post it in the General Discussion or General Handgun forum for more readers to view ...

BlindJustice
November 16, 2007, 03:34 PM
Mods to make em perfect?

Send my 625 and 617 to Hamilton Bowen
for his basic package as well as having the
5 inch 625 shortened to 4 inches and the
6176 inch barrel shortened so it has the same
length sight radius as the 625, and have the
front patridge sights replaced with a ramp
w/yellow insert and white outline rear blades.

Fishman777
November 16, 2007, 05:49 PM
4" SS Ruger GP100.

To me, it is just about perfect. The trigger is very smooth, but a little on the heavy side. The one thing that I *might* do some day is send it to Grant Cunningham for an action job. I also might have him polish the gun up a bit. There is one minor tool mark under the cylinder.

If hogue ever makes a black laminate wood grip, I would buy a set and swap out my rubber grips for the wood ones. I love my Ruger licensed rubber hogue grips, but I'd like to have a set of wood ones as well.

Dr.Rob
November 16, 2007, 07:55 PM
Colt Magnum Carry. The magum carry needs the action slicked up (this is not your daddy's d-frame) but wow what fun it is to shoot. It's pretty close up there with my 1917 Colt Army... but since we are grinning and playing what if?

I'd like a New Service Colt in .44 Magnum 5.5 inch barrel with smooth buffalo horn grips and a Tyler grip filler.

And a real modern double action replicas of a Colt lightning or thunderer, say in .357 (why not?) and an 1878 New Frontier Six Shooter in 44 Magnum.

Did I mention I have strange tastes?

420Stainless
November 16, 2007, 09:42 PM
Ruger old Bisley Vaquero - 5.5" .45 Colt. A satisfying handfull with enough heft to tame the recoil of standard loads and withstand heavy ones if I desire. Rugged, fairly inexpensive, accurate, ... and just makes me happier than any other gun. Not sure if the last part is a combination of those other attributes, or if its just some intangible personal thing.

wnycollector
November 17, 2007, 09:23 AM
I have two N frames. A 4" model 28-2 and a 6" model 27. I have big hands and the fit me like a glove. I shoot them better than ALL of my other handguns. Also, I love the feel of having that 28-2 strapped on my hip...

Black Adder LXX
November 17, 2007, 11:18 PM
I also like the Ruger GP100. My 4" stainless has a great feel and fit. It's very accurate and although the DA pull is a little heavy at first, it breaks in real nice...

KodeFore
November 18, 2007, 06:14 AM
My favorite Gun is the Smith & Wesson 327 TRR because its 8 shot and from the performance center allegedly already tuned up. Too bad I can't afford one.

MY Second Favorite is the Ruger KGP100 6" SS witch I do have. It's built to last, reliable & shoots great

george29
November 18, 2007, 08:21 PM
My perfect revolver, wow! so hard to say, like a kid with $100 let loose in a sweet shop, eh? For me it would be a .44, I suppose it would be something like the new SRH with a 2.5" bbl, but made out of titanium and the size of the less beefy GP-100, but still a six shooter. I can dream, that's what this thread's about, right?
Dark Skies, the writing was on the wall when they made people register their BB guns, it will happen here too, eventually. Not enough people who care to learn the facts. At least you guys invented Fawlty Towers and Monty Python, although I'm sure that is no longer broadcast.

Michael Zeleny
November 18, 2007, 09:19 PM
I would rather live my life as if there is a GOD and die to find out there isn't, then live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus.This statement stands contrary to everything Albert Camus believed and argued for.

george29
November 19, 2007, 12:08 AM
Actually, Camus was all about Dualism, so everything and nothing he said could be contrary to everything and nothing that he did. I like the saying, it fits me, let's leave it there.

Elm Creek Smith
November 20, 2007, 12:03 AM
Favorite? My three inch round butt S&W Model 13 with Bianchi Lawman grips that shroud the hammer.

ECS

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=3683387&postcount=24

Roswell 1847
November 20, 2007, 09:06 PM
Favorite Revolver is the Colt 1851 Navy. I own a decent replica and my brother owns a Civil War battlefield find manufactured in 1854 near as I can tell. His gun is still in shootable condition. Soil conditions here sometimes preserve guns lost on the old battlefields.
The 1851 fits my hand perfectly and points like an extension of my hand, its 7 1/2 inch barrel coupled with the long sighting radius gives target pistol accuracy.
Next up is my I frame Hand Ejector in .32 S&W Long.

If I were to chose the revolver I'd want in a gunfight though I'd chose the Mod 19 in .357. I haven't owned one yet but I've fired one belonging to a friend extensively. Excellent handgun very accurate, and deadly as a heart attack.

aguyindallas
November 20, 2007, 10:20 PM
S&W 642 all the way. Its light and easy to carry. Its alluminum frame makes it fairly rust proof when riding in my pocket. This will be the gun when I am yo years old (I'm currently 30) that I still have in daily carry rotation. This is assuming of course we still have our right to carry.

doc2rn
November 20, 2007, 10:48 PM
S&W Model 10-4 in 3" K-frame with Hogue square grip. You cant beat the classics.

oklahoma caveman
November 20, 2007, 11:13 PM
fav is single six with a 9in barrel.

what id like is a 30-30 revolver with a 10in barrel

TimboKhan
November 21, 2007, 04:15 AM
I like the GP, but what I really want is a GP in .357 with a matte black finish (just because it looks cool as opposed to any tactical reason), and grips that are as attractive as they are functional.

As nerdy as it sounds, I wouldn't mind a rail on it, either. The S&W custom shop made the Thunder Ranch tac-revo, and I would like to see something similar from Ruger. Oh, and I have become a big fan of straight-8 sights, so that would be nice too...

The other thing that I really want is for H&R to start making the Sportsman 999 model again, and in stainless. I know it's never going to happen, but that would make me very, very happy. That actually would be my number one gun desire as a whole...

GeezerwithGuns
November 21, 2007, 01:16 PM
My favorite: Colt Officer's Model Match 3rd issue .38 special with full checkered stocks. Has the best single action trigger I've ever shot. Deadly accurate as well. Beautiful finish, perfect proportions......Yeah, I like it.:D

A link to a bygone era when revolvers were hand fitted by smiths in the Colt factory. Why can't anyone make these today?:rolleyes:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/geezer99/OMM.jpg

I honestly can't think of anything that would make this better.

statelineblues
November 22, 2007, 12:17 PM
I've always liked the Smith & Wesson "K" frame revolvers - in blue steel.

Here are mine:

Smith & Wesson Model 19-3 Combat Magnum .357 w/ 6" barrel - beautiful target gun
Smith & Wesson Model 15-3 Combat Masterpiece .38 Spl w/ 2" barrel
Rossi Model 68 .38 Spl Stainless Steel w/ 2" barrel and custom bobbed hammer

GRB
November 22, 2007, 12:26 PM
A Colt Border Patrol. I like it because I shot them while in the BP. They were accurate, even with a heavy trigger. If you ran out of ammo, you could use the revolver as a club - they were heavy as all heck. Took a beating and kept working wonderfully, great quality control on them. Cylinder turns in opposite direction than does a Smith's, more natural when reloading.

For concealment, a Colt Detective Special. Same reasons as above.

All the best,
Glenn B

Dennis B
November 22, 2007, 07:29 PM
This one....at least for now.

Fredom Arms Md. 97, 45 Colt with extra 45 ACP cylinder.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/DennisB_photo/528836ef.jpg

Dennis.

KurtC
November 22, 2007, 07:47 PM
My idea of the ideal revolver would be blue, 4" barrel, round butt, no-lock, .45 caliber bore. Nobody makes one, so I had the Performance Center put together the ACP, and Hamilton Bowen build the 45 Colt.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/Stutzen/SW25-12029.jpg?t=1195774785

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/Stutzen/SW25MG010.jpg?t=1195774847

If you enjoyed reading about "revolver guys, i need your reason." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!