Decent Day at the Range (Del-Ton Review)

PDA

Dionysusigma
September 17, 2007, 01:42 AM
Well, about a week ago I finally got the Mid-Length A3 kit with M4-style 6-position stock from Del-Ton (finally, meaning that I got up the cash and courage to order something online). Got the chance to go out today and shoot it, although that part comes later.

I've never put together an AR-15 before. The whole ordeal, including downloading and printing off the instructions, took about 45 minutes. :D The only error I made was accidentally swapping the bolt release and disconnector springs, but nothing seemed affected by this as everything worked as it should've. I slapped a UTG fixed rear sight on it, and it looks mean. It's barrel-heavy, but I don't mind.

Range trials were today. Ammo used was 90rds Guatemalan surplus, 40 Sellier & Bellot, and 90 Aguila. Mags were grade B milsurp aluminum 30-rders and a plastic 20-rder made by Wilson. Only complaint with any of them (so far) is that if you're not careful, rounds will pop out of the top of the Wilson like a bad cartoon until you get seven or more in there.

Reliability was 98%, as in I got 3 FTFeeds that set the bullet back too far to be fired safely. Not sure what caused this, but all happened one after the other toward the end of a mag that was a mix of S&B and Aguila (two were S&B, one Aguila, FWIW). Nothing went awry before this, or in the last 30 rounds after that mag was finished. Gun got kinda hot, but oh well. :D

Accuracy is good enough. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a terrible shot, but once I got the rear sight tightened down well enough that it wasn't shooting loose, I was hitting nearly everything I aimed at. I'm sure this rifle is capable of 1MOA, but the thing is, I'm not. :o

I've never fired an AR-15 before today. I didn't quite know what people were talking about with *sproing*, but now I do, and I like it. It's a danged good way to know if the gun is in battery, with a round in the chamber... if you don't hear it, either the mag is empty and the bolt's locked back or it's jammed--either way, you know it's not ready to fire just yet. The 6-position stock was a little loose, but it doesn't really bother me. I don't miss the trigger slap that my AK gave me, and I think it's safe to say that this may easily be in my top 5 most favorite guns I've owned.

The things that made this day "decent" as opposed to "great" were my 1911A1 biting me 150 times, and freaking horrible Interarms .30-06 that I put through my dad's 1903A3. Half wouldn't fire, and two rounds blasted powder back in my face (thank God for stylish eye protection) with 1.5 times the normal recoil before cracking the stock just behind the receiver up top. :mad::cuss: I threw away the other box without firing a single round of it... and now I've gotta break out the Gorilla Glue, c-clamp, and leather straps. :banghead: My dad was pretty forgiving, though... his reply was "well, as long as you fix it right. Tuesday, stop by the store and get some more of that Greek surplus."

And I can't even modify my Sistema, due to PMed threats of Azrael256 threatening to "beat {me} with it until {my} retinas detach." :uhoh: I even called him to confirm this, and he did. I'm even wary of having it parkerized (which it desperately needs), lest I anger a Texas cop. :rolleyes:

Pictures to come if anyone's interested. My camera's AWOL at the moment.

If you enjoyed reading about "Decent Day at the Range (Del-Ton Review)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wdlsguy
September 17, 2007, 03:02 PM
freaking horrible Interarms .30-06 that I put through my dad's 1903A3. Half wouldn't fire, and two rounds blasted powder back in my face (thank God for stylish eye protection) with 1.5 times the normal recoil before cracking the stock just behind the receiver up top.
:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Decent Day at the Range (Del-Ton Review)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!