7mm problems

PDA

arctictom
September 17, 2007, 03:59 PM
I have been trying to use a Ruger Model-1 7mm Mag for deer. The problem is that on the last two animals I shot, the bullets exploded and I ruined A LOT of meat. I shot a muley at 40 yards in the neck about 10 inches down from the jaw, and I had shrapnel all the way down the first 10 inches of the back strap! (No need to even talk about the condition of the neck roast) The shock to the animal was so great that the back strap on the side I hit him on actually
detached all that way down the length of the spine. Weird aye?

Could some one steer me to 7mm ammunition that won’t explode on impact ?

Thanks Tom

If you enjoyed reading about "7mm problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bigcim
September 17, 2007, 04:11 PM
Do you reload?
What grain bullets were you shooting?

R.W.Dale
September 17, 2007, 04:13 PM
At the ranges you describe I suggest using only the heaviest controlled expansion ammo. What ammo were you using.

aspade
September 17, 2007, 05:25 PM
Try Remington's low recoil line. The 7mm mag load is 140 grains at an advertised 2710 fps, which essentially turns your gun into a 7x57 with a funny looking case.

If you want to use a full power load (why?), what krochus said. You want a heavy, tough bullet that won't fragment. A-Frames, Barnes X, Trophy Bonded, etc.

Bwana John
September 17, 2007, 07:22 PM
The answer is 7mm Mauser.

browningguy
September 17, 2007, 07:57 PM
Federal has Nosler Partition loads, also look for someone that loads Barnes TSX bullets. Here are the loads at Natchez:

http://natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=ammoGroup&ammoGroup=1&searchBy=size&ammoSize=333

They show Corbon DPX, Federal with TSX/Nosler Partition/Trophy Bonded, any of which should hold together at & mag velocities and close range.

arctictom
September 17, 2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the help , no I don't reload, Thanks for the sugesstions.

esmith
September 17, 2007, 08:12 PM
Use heavier grained bullets, Nosler Partition is good for medium to large game such as this.

Charles S
September 17, 2007, 08:31 PM
First at the ranges you are shooting you are really taxing your bullets to the limits.

Since you don't reload I would recomend both heavy for caliber bullets and premium bullets.

Take a look at the Federal 160 Barnes Triple shock, the 160 grain Trophy bonded, and the 165 Sierra GameKing loads.

I think they will produce less trauma and will work at the ranges you are typically shooting. The GameKing will be the most frangible of the bunch.

Good luck!

If you enjoyed reading about "7mm problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!