Remington 7400 30-06 good/bad?

PDA

SturmMackRuger
September 17, 2007, 10:11 PM
Just wanted some input. A while back I killed a deer with my uncles in 30-06 I thought it was awesome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 7400 30-06 good/bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
V-fib
September 17, 2007, 11:06 PM
I don't have a 7400 but I do have a Remington sportsman 76 pump chambered in 30.06 which has been very good for me in my deer hunting adventures.:cool:

W.E.G.
September 17, 2007, 11:07 PM
They are OK. I used to have one.

But you will get a wandering zero if you try to shoot a bunch of rounds at a target at any distance.

They really aren't known for their durabilty either.

Unless you are getting a screaming deal on one, I wouldn't spend the kind of money they are asking for those guns. Its a below-average battle rifle, and an overly-complex hunting rifle.

Also, the gas system is a rust magnet.

R.W.Dale
September 17, 2007, 11:13 PM
they're great guns for the one box of bullets a year type hunter and will preform well as long as at least some attempt at maintenance is preformed. But they'll throw shots wildly by the third shot due to head buildup.

I've owned both and I suggest the rem 7600 PUMP over the 7400 they handle just as well and amazingly are probably on average the most accurate hunting weight rifle Remington currently makes.

funfaler
September 18, 2007, 11:51 PM
I had a 7400 in 30.06.

It was fine for a hunt, but don't consider it any kind of a replacement for a battle rifle, very flimsy, compared to a MBR. It would not cycle any surplus 30.06, nor would it work with anything but the factory 4 round mag.

I sold it and never looked back, I have taken more deer with my FAL:neener:

Strongbad
September 19, 2007, 01:27 AM
The 7400 are good guns. If you like it, then that's really all that matters. Why there's a bunch of talk about them being no good as a "battle rifle" I don't know. Of course they're not a good battle rifle, they were never intended for that. Keep it cleaned up and find some ammo that it likes (hopefully relatively clean burning) and it will shoot and function well. The ones I've seen that didn't shoot well were either dirty, or their owners were letting them heat up. Because of the sporter barrels they heat up quick, and the barrel mounting means you can potentially have pressure points all over the place. The triggers generally suck, and there's not a lot you can do with them which is probably the biggest downside. If you want master the trigger though and you like a quick follow-up, well... there you go. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 7400 30-06 good/bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!