Enfield Identification Question

PDA

Prof
September 18, 2007, 12:22 PM
I recently purchased an Enfield No.4 Mk I ROF (F) 1943 rifle with the serial number DB29317A. I think it may have been made at Fazakerley but the serial number doesn't seem to be on any lists I can find. It may have been rearsenaled or privately refurbished. Can someone give me any information on where it was made, etc.?

If you enjoyed reading about "Enfield Identification Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Prof
September 18, 2007, 03:14 PM
Anyone? :confused:

DougW
September 18, 2007, 07:03 PM
Your rifle is a Fazakerly. If you don't see the "FTR" anywhere, it has not (probably) been arsenal refinished. The DB doesn't quite fit, but anything is possible. BD would be for a 43 Maltby, but the 20000 range of numbers is Fazakerly. I would choose that one, since it has the ROF (F), which is Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerly. The "A" signifies that there is something non-standard about the rifle. Some Turkish and Indian rifles have been re-serial numbered, so that is a possibility too.

Prof
September 18, 2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks, Doug, I really appreciate the information. I'll keep digging to see if I can find any more about the "DB" serial number. By the way, I also am the proud parent of a U.S. Army soldier - a lifer who is back in Iraq for his second go-round. Congrats on both yours!

DougW
September 19, 2007, 09:47 PM
Prof, My son left Iraq Monday after 14 months, and will be back to his base next week. I will pray for your son. I am proud of him too!

If you enjoyed reading about "Enfield Identification Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!