Indiana Silliness


PDA






1911Tuner
September 19, 2007, 10:59 PM
Well...I guess I'll have to apologize for that one.

And yes. I know about peanut allergies. I have it myself. I just don't eat'em.

If you enjoyed reading about "Indiana Silliness" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shookwell
September 19, 2007, 11:07 PM
I take it you've never seen a kid in anaphylactic shock. These kids can die very quickly if exposed to even a very small amount of peanut. A lot of schools in many states are peanut free or have peanut free zones.

Nitrogen
September 19, 2007, 11:08 PM
Peanut allergies can be extremely serious to those that suffer from them. Death can result quickly, the reaction is very similar to how sensitive people die from bee stings. (anaphylaxic shock)

My wife's a teacher, and has had a peanut sensitive student. Her school didn't ban peanuts alltogether, but she and other teachers had to be vigilant. The cafeteria had a seperate peanut-free section, and other measures were taken.

While this sounds insane, when you realise how easily it can kill someone, the liability alone would explain why the school would do it.

For more information, check this (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peanut-allergy/DS00710) out.

mrmeval
September 19, 2007, 11:09 PM
If the kid is that allergic they should have their own food and not eat anything else. If they can't do that then they'll die. If they can't learn it now they'll just die later.

41magsnub
September 19, 2007, 11:17 PM
So the peanut allergic kid is now isolated because of it? Yep, that's fair... such a small sacrifice for the school for the kid to live more normally.

High Road indeed....

Nitrogen
September 19, 2007, 11:19 PM
The problem is, even trace amounts of peanuts can cause an allergic response in students. It doesn't always need to be ingested. Some residue from a cafeteria worker who ate a peanut butter sandwich, then handled an apple could easily kill a student with a peanut allergy. (it happened at my wife's school.)

If your child had this allergy, you'd probably demand severe restrictions like these.

EDIT: Read the article I linked.

Exposure to peanuts can occur in three ways:

* Direct contact. The most common cause of peanut allergy is direct contact with peanuts. This means exposure via all routes of contact — usually through eating peanuts, but including kissing or touching someone who's been in direct contact with peanuts.
* Cross-contact. This is the unintended introduction of peanuts into a product. It's generally the result of exposure to peanuts during processing or handling of a food product.
* Inhalation. An allergic reaction may occur if you inhale dust or aerosols containing peanuts, such as that of peanut flour or peanut oil cooking spray.


As you can see, even DUST can cause a reaction.

Larry Ashcraft
September 19, 2007, 11:37 PM
Peanut allergy is serious business. My daughter is seriously allergic to them, to the point that they could kill her.

But this doesn't belong on THR.

Closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Indiana Silliness" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!