What do I need now?

PDA

Bartkowski
September 19, 2007, 11:03 PM
Well, I just picked up a Marlin 336 and don't really know what to look for as my next firearm. I don't really "need" one, but would like to have something to look forward too.

I have my necessary big game rifles, my brush guns, a .22 and a 12 ga, and my SKS. Don't really know what else I need or want. I don't have a varmint type gun, but don't really have a place to hunt them right now either. I am not looking for a handgun, or ar style gun. So what do you guys think is a must have gun that I don't have?

If you enjoyed reading about "What do I need now?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tubeshooter
September 19, 2007, 11:20 PM
Given what you don't want and how you say you don't "need" anything, the easiest (& maybe cheapest) way to scratch this itch is probably to get another .22 rifle.

You don't have to have a stable like some folks, but it's nice to have 2 or 3 to turn to. It can get addictive though, so be forewarned.

Make it somewhat different from whatever you currently have. 10/22's are good for modding and tinkering with if you like to do that sort of thing.

RonE
September 19, 2007, 11:20 PM
Broomhandle mauser with stock.

Bartkowski
September 19, 2007, 11:23 PM
tubeshooter, thats what I was thinking, I was going to get another .22, but I would like to get something new, although I will be getting a new .22 soon.

Bartkowski
September 20, 2007, 10:06 PM
So what .22's do you like?

Il Duca
September 21, 2007, 01:22 AM
Given what you don't want and how you say you don't "need" anything, the easiest (& maybe cheapest) way to scratch this itch is probably to get another .22 rifle.

I'll second that, but instead of getting just another .22, why not get a .22 target rifle? And I don't mean a 10/22 with a heavy bbl. What about a Winchester 52, Remington 513, Mossberg 144? I tend to go for older rifles, so those are just things that came off the top of my head. You can still find the CMP rifles around fairly cheap, the H&R M12, Kimber 82G, the 513T, the 52s, etc.

Outlaws
September 21, 2007, 01:30 AM
I don't ski, but I would love a biathlon rifle. I don't know why, I just do.

Avenger29
September 21, 2007, 01:31 AM
Well, I just picked up a Marlin 336 and don't really know what to look for as my next firearm

As others have suggested, .22s (I am going to try to pick up another bolt action or two, a lever action, and a pump action).

You might also want to look into investing in a reloading setup. I just got started with a Lee Loader for my .30-30 (you hammer on it to deprime, size the neck, prime, seat the bullet, and crimp it)...and I will soon be moving to a single stage...

I thought reloading was overly complex until I picked up a book (the ABCs of Reloading) and got the Lee Loader tool. It takes a little while to make a round, but I am learning and it is simple...

ugaarguy
September 21, 2007, 02:42 AM
Marlin 39A as a 22 LR companion to the 336 perhaps? Maybe a T/C Encore, which can be tailored to fit your needs & wants as they change, would be fun too.

Bazooka Joe71
September 21, 2007, 02:52 AM
How about a nagant? A few different styles can be had for ~100

Get some ammo while its still affordable...Its already when up a couple cents a round, so get it cheap and stack it deep.:D

iamkris
September 21, 2007, 08:45 AM
It appears you are a hunter mostly and not a shooter or a collector. If that is so, most of what you "need" are probably more shotguns -- a 20 ga, a 16, a few O/U and SxS -- and then some high end bolt guns. I'd also say some BPCR like a Sharps and Rolling Block would be great.

If hunting isn't your only interest, clearly you need at least one each of all the wonderful mil-surps out there...what to get? Just divide your choices up by war and by country. The gun types get pretty clear then. Also, you need a M1A, FAL, G3, CETME, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do I need now?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!