Truck gun; K31, SKS, or Mosin ?

PDA

epijunkie67
September 20, 2007, 12:02 AM
Been keeping a lever .357 in my truck for a while now but considering switching it out with something a little less... nice. I currently own at least one of all three rifles in question and all are more than acceptably accurate out to 100 yards with iron sights. I drive a full sized Silverado so finding room also isn't a problem.

So. K31 swiss, SKS in 7.62X39, or Mosin Nagant in 7.62X54R? I've also considered cutting down the Mosin to 17-18 inches but wondered about the effects on bullet performance.

So between these three options, which would you recommend for general "just to have a long arm available in the vehicle" gun. And yes, I've already considered a shotgun but prefer a rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Truck gun; K31, SKS, or Mosin ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaMx
September 20, 2007, 12:04 AM
I would pick the sks, no doubt.

gbran
September 20, 2007, 12:16 AM
Ditto the SKS.

Coronach
September 20, 2007, 12:17 AM
SKS. Figure out a way to lock it up.

Mike

Regolith
September 20, 2007, 12:18 AM
If you reload, go with the k31. They have a reputation for being extremely accurate. If you don't reload, go with the SKS. The ammunition is much easier to obtain.

Madmardig0n
September 20, 2007, 12:19 AM
+1 for the SKS. I got one in June specifically for a trunk gun. They're fairly accurate, cheap (shouldn't be more than $200) and a ten round capacity in stock form. Grab some stripper clips for it and go.

Squidward
September 20, 2007, 12:26 AM
The K31 is too pretty.

The MN too big

The SKS is just right

SoCalShooter
September 20, 2007, 12:28 AM
SKS and make sure you have the bayonet...never know when your gonna need it...personally I think all guns should come with a bayonet.

Regolith
September 20, 2007, 12:43 AM
If you ever need a bayonet on a rifle...well, lets just say you've done something wrong. :neener:

SoCalShooter
September 20, 2007, 12:47 AM
Really? I have never gotten to that point but I always thought it would be a good idea to have it just in case.

Regolith
September 20, 2007, 12:51 AM
Well, if your initiating hand to hand combat with a rifle bayonet, it means your either 1) out of bullets, or 2) your rifle done broke. And you let whatever your locked in combat with get close enough that you need to go hand to hand. So yeah, I'd say something went SERIOUSLY wrong for you to need a bayonet. Not that I'm saying its stupid to have a bayonet with you, just saying that actually needing to use it simply means Murphy decided he no longer likes you. ;)

SoCalShooter
September 20, 2007, 12:55 AM
I figured the extra help could not be bad. never know when a sharp pointy piece of metal on a long solid piece of wood could come in handy.

Arkie
September 20, 2007, 12:57 AM
I would also go for the SKS.

I wouldn't want to scratch my K31. LOL.

jpwilly
September 20, 2007, 01:15 AM
SKS or Romanian AK!

Deles136
September 20, 2007, 01:18 AM
SKS - You want fast way before you worry about accurate.

Navy joe
September 20, 2007, 01:23 AM
I own 4 K31s, it's a disease. That said, SKS no doubt. Trucks are mobile, no telling how far away from home base you may be when you decide you need ammo. 7.62x39 is way more common than the other two options.

On the flip side if you have a nice looking truck(read something somebody would want to break into) the odder ammo of the K31 or Mosin may come in handy in limiting a thief's ammo supply. That's why if zombie bears do end the world I am giving anyone worthy a K-31, that way I control the ammo pile if loyalties change.

grimjaw
September 20, 2007, 01:37 AM
IMO, the SKS, if it's the commercial Chinese shortened variant. Extremely handy.

2nd place would be an M38.

jm

MilsurpShooter
September 20, 2007, 01:48 AM
SKS, semi-auto over bolt. If you really wanted to go with one of the bolts I'd say K31 due to ease of operation and no 2x4 required like on the mosin. K31 ammo is pricey and can't just go anywhere and pick up a box.

epijunkie67
September 20, 2007, 01:56 AM
Wow, I gotta say I'm really shocked. I really expected there to be a much broader range of opinion on this. The SKS does after all fire the weakest most short ranged round of all three. I figured there would be the "accurate powerful slower bolt" vs "Semi-auto but less accurate and weaker" argument.

Coronach
September 20, 2007, 02:09 AM
If you're talking trunk gun, you're probably talking about dispatching wounded animals at close range, SD or SHTF. In any of those scenarios the 7.62x39 is more than adequate, and in the latter two semi-auto is highly preferred. Ergo, SKS wins, hands down.

Mike

dstorm1911
September 20, 2007, 02:10 AM
Well don't know bout less powerfull, 7.62x39 is ballistically identical to the 30/30 but with a better boat tail spire pointed bullet and seein as how the 30/30 has served VERY well as a truck gun/saddled gun for a lil over a century with no complaints a semi auto more accurate version can't be too bad...... SKS cheap so ya aren't going to care if it gets beat up, ammo is still cheaper than any other caliber and available pretty much everywhere from $4 per box wolf to commercial stuff starting at around $13 per 20 (can't get 30/30 for that) A ton of Chicom SKSs been ridin in truck gun racks on the rezes out here in AZ for decades as well as just bein tossed in those same truck beds and ridin on ATVs and in sand rails all over the state cause they are cheap and totally dependable under the harshest conditions, I know many indians that daily take down coyotes out to 300 yards without any problem several times a day out here........ so guess they are plenty accurate enough for truck gun use without needin to be pampered, most of the ones ya see in indian trucks and in saddle scabbards are generally pretty rusty from the total lack of maintanence or even basic cleaning.......

Misfire99
September 20, 2007, 02:13 AM
Wow, I gotta say I'm really shocked. I really expected there to be a much broader range of opinion on this. The SKS does after all fire the weakest most short ranged round of all three. I figured there would be the "accurate powerful slower bolt" vs "Semi-auto but less accurate and weaker" argument.

Well in that case I will put in my two cents. I think you should carry the Mosin in something like an M38 or M44. The reason is if you want to shoot something you want to kill it. This might not happen with an SKS. The 7.62x39 is very weak. Works fine for soft skinned two legged targets but not so well for a bear. My self I would rather shoot one bullet and get the job done then ten bullets and not get it done.

And yes I do think there is a place for a bayonet on a rifle. But not to fight with but to cook meat over the fire on. But you have to be carefull to not shoot your mouth off.

Spiggy
September 20, 2007, 02:44 AM
Yes, but considering that it's serving as a truck gun, you won't be using it to engage targets out of you sight range. It'll be for closer hostilities. Unless you're trying to pick a battle, the SKS will work just fine. It's cheap to feed, easy to clean (if you ever have to), and the size and weight is just right for storage.

If you gotta though, why don't you get a shotgun too?

RandyB
September 20, 2007, 08:41 AM
Depending on what your needs ar for a trunk gun. For me my needs would be:
Personal protection
Putting down the odd farm animal
The odd "Hey I got a bit of free time, lets stop by the gun range and shoot a bit."

Any of the three would work. Due to the needs of persoanl protection, I do not see anyone threatening me at 600 meters so the SKS with its 10 round, semi-auto would serve better as a close range weapon (which is why the semi-autos replaced the bolt guns in the military) and for close range action.

So my vote is for the SKS also, which is interesting since I don't own one.

grizz
September 20, 2007, 08:54 AM
Saiga?

dogngun
September 20, 2007, 09:28 AM
The SKS has always seemed to me to be an ideal truck gun. Find a bandolier and keep about 10 loaded stripper clips in it and you will be in great shape.
FWIW, I prefer the 150 grain JSP hunting ammo for defence use in my Norinco.

Mark

Acheron
September 20, 2007, 12:30 PM
I would definitely go with the SKS. It's just the right size, shape, and power for what you need in a truck gun. My second choice would be a M38/M44, but I would avoid full-power rifles if possible. Long range accuracy and power aren't likely to be an issue, so the 7.62x39 is much better suited to close range work. Get a bandolier and load it up with 50 rounds of 123gr. FMJ and 50 rounds 125gr. SP on strippers. Should cover just about any situation you may encounter.

silverlance
September 20, 2007, 01:03 PM
I'm going to go against the grain here. How about a Remington Model 11? Semi auto shotgun, five rounds in tube, you can hack the barrel down to 18.5 easy. Relatively light, takes up very little room in the trunk, with knockdown THUMP that is undisputed. Can be had for less than 180$; blue book values at $179. Put a 5shot blackhawk cuff on the end, with three slugs in the little pouch, and you have a trunk gun that nobody will want to screw with.

5 00 buck in the tube
5 00 buck in cuff rings
2 slugs in pouch
2 12g flares in pouch

And, best of all, it is C&R.

Mr White
September 20, 2007, 01:09 PM
SKS.

For a truck gun, you want something short and manuverable. K31 and MN are just too long. A MN M44 might fit the bill, but there you are sacrificing 5 rounds in the mag and ease of reloading for more power. For a truck gun, I'd rather have more rounds and easier reloading.

RedeyeGunner
September 20, 2007, 01:53 PM
Oops, double post....

RedeyeGunner
September 20, 2007, 01:56 PM
I still think the most versatile all around gun would be a 12 guage slide action with a mixture of shot, slug, and buck.

If you're not a shotgun type of person, then definitely the SKS. Its pleasant to shoot, you can accessorize the wazzu out of it, and it will even take deer if you're so inclined.

Bayonets? Hmmm, well, if they're the folding type they can used as a monopod in a pinch...

B.D. Turner
September 20, 2007, 03:29 PM
SKS. Why? Because you can shoot it while you drive if need be.

mpmarty
September 20, 2007, 03:44 PM
SKS is the answer, short, reliable, rugged. If you need to engage targets beyond a couple hundred yards, either drive closer or drive away, it's in the trunk remember? As far as power goes, it has more than enough, equal to a 30-30 as has been said with better ballistics due to superior projectiles.

redactor
September 20, 2007, 06:13 PM
Mosin M44.

jaydee1156
September 22, 2007, 12:05 AM
I just picked up a No5 Mk1 Enfield (jungle carbine)
10rds of 303, fast bolt throw and beat up enough that I'm not to worried about it getting skinned up in the trunk

I have an SKS but it(and the AK) is the preferred weapon of bangers so ever having to use one may paint a negative perception of you (in this area)

ymmv

precisionshootist
September 22, 2007, 06:31 AM
SKS, is the way to go for a truck gun. It has an excellent combination of speed, power and rugged simplicity. The stripper clips are fast to load and you donít have to worry about mags. 100 rounds on strippers will fit nicely into a small utility pouch. I have personally been carrying a Norinco SKS paratrooper since before 911. I keep 10 loaded stripper clips with several different types of ammo in a single utility pouch attached to its own belt. The cleaning stuff is in the butt and cleaning rod under the barrel. I also use the original oil bottle filled with CLP. As a side note when talking truck guns you often hear of ammo degradation due to heat/cold and vibration. I carried the same 100 rounds of ammo in the trunk in Texas heat and cold for nearly 8 years. Earlier this summer I fired 40 rounds of that ammo and all functioned flawlessly. I was able to ring a gong fairly consistently over 350 yards away with that ammo. The ammo was a mixture of Chinese steel core, Yugo brass case, and Commercial Russian hollow point.

If you enjoyed reading about "Truck gun; K31, SKS, or Mosin ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!