Best highend bolt action rifle

PDA

S&WKING
September 20, 2007, 08:41 PM
What is the most accurate highend bolt action rifle? I have seen the H&S Precision rifles and the Cooper Arms rifles what are some other bolts that are just as good or better?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best highend bolt action rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunTech
September 20, 2007, 08:50 PM
Accuracy International.

General Geoff
September 20, 2007, 08:58 PM
Accuracy International, seconded.

yesit'sloaded
September 20, 2007, 08:58 PM
Are we referring to a high end hunting rifle or something more along the lines or a long distance competition rifle. I am asking because elegant gold inlaid scrolling does not help accuracy at 1000 yards. I'm a big fan of the CheyTac M-200 CIV in .408 CheyTac. Is $13,795 high end enough for you? Check it out. http://www.cheytac.com/M-200.html

taliv
September 20, 2007, 08:59 PM
personally, i don't see myself ever buying another factory "precision" rifle again. For the money, there are just too many amazing gunsmiths out there who can build a better product than ANY factory rifle, including high end ones like AI.

Seriously, for the price of an AI, i can buy an AI stock and have someone put a better action and better barrel in it.
(edit: in a much wider range of cooler calibers than you can get in a factory AI.)

Outlaws
September 20, 2007, 09:02 PM
there are just too many amazing gunsmiths out there who can build a better product than ANY factory rifle, including high end ones like AI.

That is true, but for every half way competent gunsmith there are probably a good 10-15 worthless ones that don't deserve the moniker.

M'bogo
September 20, 2007, 09:26 PM
Take your pic between these two - David Miller Co. or Kenny Jarrett. Both can build the rifle of your dreams.

M'bogo

GunTech
September 20, 2007, 09:29 PM
I'm in favor of building as well. I started out with an AI, and then built up a 40X in an AICS that shot as well or better, for a couple thousand less.

Call George at GAP.

esheato
September 20, 2007, 09:31 PM
Never shot an AI, but I've heard all the stories.

I'm partial to HS Precision for the synthetic sticks. I have one of their sporters and a heavy tactical is in the near future.

IMO, they're about the best thing going for a lefty.

Ed

HM2PAC
September 20, 2007, 09:44 PM
I am also in favor of building. My next rifle will be done as such this winter.

My plan:
.30-06
Savage 110 Receiver
Krieger Medium/Heavy Contour 1:12 RH Twist
McMillan Stock (Haven't decided which one yet)

Very simple and to the point.

taliv
September 20, 2007, 09:50 PM
btw, depending on what you want, mcmillan builds pretty sweet rifles, like the Tubb2k (order through creedmore). The last one i had built was done by longshot rifles (highly recommend) and although I haven't tried them yet, gre-tan was recommended to me, along with robar. If you want to use any of them, you've got to think ahead; about 6mo-18mo ahead, actually.

the last rifle i mentioned above was a completely wacky one, built on an etronx action, but the consensus these days for near-benchrest accuracy in a cost-effective tactical style stock is to use the stiller predator action and barrel of your choice.

another company with an interesting product is EDM and their windrunner. But if i could have any rifle (excluding Holland & Hollands, of course) it would be the DSR-1, which isn't imported anymore. (obviously, i'm not claiming experience with them... just saying i have an unholy fascination with bullpups)

quicktime
September 20, 2007, 11:33 PM
How about the best of both worlds custom and factory. Nesika builds complete rifles with your spec's and their actions. They have a state of the art machine shop. I am extremely happy with mine and it shoots great. Oh and they are lefty friendly.

Anthony B.
September 20, 2007, 11:37 PM
how about the Barrett 50 cal

rangerruck
September 21, 2007, 12:21 AM
how about a Dakota, or Lazzeroni? or the nice , high end cz's, in their mil type e-550 and 750 models?

Howard Roark
September 21, 2007, 12:43 AM
Tubb T2K.

The NRA national long range champion this year is John Whidden, he shot a Win M70.

Last year it was Kent Reeve, he shot a Mauser.

There are many high quality rifle components out there, It isn't the arrow...

USSR
September 21, 2007, 07:46 AM
My plan:
.30-06
Savage 110 Receiver
Krieger Medium/Heavy Contour 1:12 RH Twist
McMillan Stock (Haven't decided which one yet)

HM2PAC,

You might want to reconsider the 1-12" twist. I had Jack Krieger build me a tactical rifle in .30-06 about 7 years ago, and the advantage of the '06 over the .308 lies with the heavier bullets like the 190SMK.

Don

http://www.ussr.baka.com/Win06t1.jpg

taliv
September 21, 2007, 09:50 AM
30-06 may still have an advantage over 308, but you can shoot the 190g bullets in the 308. in either gun, you need a faster twist, like USSR said.

Smitty in CT
September 21, 2007, 11:55 AM
If money were no object, my choice would be a Blaser R93.

http://www.collani.ch/images/Karabi3.jpg

I shot a Super Luxus model at a demo shoot a few years ago, it was the smoothest & nicest looking rifle I've ever seen.

But, as they say, if you have to ask, you can't afford it....

GunTech
September 21, 2007, 11:58 AM
The poster asked for the most accurate high end bolt. Unfortunately, many of the most costly don't fall into this category, Blaser included. I had a 93 tactical and it was outshot by my Remington 40X.

Geno
September 21, 2007, 12:08 PM
Savage 12 F Precision Target Rifle holds the best factory-direct accuracy I have EVER heard: .5” @ 500 yards (yes, 1/2 INCH) w/ factory-loaded ammunition. It was discussed in a recent professional publication. I don’t recall which, but I am sure others also read of this. BTW, you can buy the action-only, but I ask why with these types of groups.

http://savagearms.com/2007_pressrelease.htm

MASTEROFMALICE
September 21, 2007, 12:40 PM
.5" @ 500 yards isn't accuracy, that's just a freak occurance, I'm sure.

Have you ever heard that a thousand monkeys banging away on a thousand typewriters will eventually write Shakespear?

Zak Smith
September 21, 2007, 05:30 PM
It all depends on what you want to do with the rifle: Short-range benchrest? NRA HP Long-Range? 1000-yard .50 Cal benchrest? An honest to goodness sniper rifle? Smallbore target?

For off-the-shelf rifles, I'd take a hard look at AI (AW/AWM/AWSM), SAKO (TRG-22/42), and the Tubb 2000.

While the barrel is important, also remember that they are consummable items-- you will be replacing it periodically, and that because they are human-manufactured items, there is some barrel to barrel variance.

-z

-z

skinewmexico
September 21, 2007, 07:07 PM
I don't know that I would ever as much personal satifaction out of writing a big check for a custom gun as I do by buying high quality parts for my Savages, and trying to make them work myself. And they work awfully well.

Trumpet
September 21, 2007, 09:49 PM
how about the Barrett 50 cal

Among the .50s, I wouldn't consider them "high end". Popular, yes. But not as accurate or "high end" as others out there.

S&WKING
September 24, 2007, 01:13 AM
I dont want a 50 cal so if that narrows it down. I saw the Nesika Varmint rRifles and liked them i was wandering what were talking for accuracy and reliability.

onemsumba
September 24, 2007, 01:23 AM
What about an Ed Brown?

taliv
September 24, 2007, 01:30 AM
heh, i thought you were just asking. didn't realize you were in the market.

if you want a recommendation, then like zak said, you need to explain what you're going to do with it. "bolt action" covers a heck of a lot of territory.

GENERALLY speaking though, i'd recommend you go read some of the benchrest forums (6mmbr is a good start) and look at all the advertisers there. most of the benchrest mfgs also make hunter class and practical type actions that are scaled down versions of the heavy guns. relatively, i'd expect quality to be quite a bit better than the guns that come out of the "custom shops" of the mass production places.

S&WKING
September 24, 2007, 01:41 AM
well yea my graduation gift is gonna be either a DPMS or a sweet bolt gun i will mostly be shooting prarier dogs and just shooting from a bench i would like 500-1000 yard range in a big cal. like 308 or something or a 223 or 204 kinda gun for 0-500 yard range or so

quicktime
September 24, 2007, 02:26 AM
My Nesika is a true 1/2 minute of angle gun that is with a competent shooter and good factory ammo or handloads. I am good friends with their former production manager (he only stepped down to go to Iraq for the chance of saving for his own shop) I have shot a bunch of Nesika stuff and I have never shot a bad one. By far the best was his 22-250 it shot .10 minute groups in the tunnel and was long range death in the prairie dog fields. It was the gun that sold me on a muzzle break for everything. It is awesome to squeeze of a round on a dog a 500 yards and never have the gun move. I am sold and have ordered two more actions to be built upon his return. I still say if you can afford it there is nothing better than a gun built for you and your shooting style and body dimensions. But I definately understand the satisfaction of building one yourself. I have done both and enjoy both as well. But as of now I do not have the 200000 for the equipment to build a world class shooter. I can say a little about Dakota as well they are fine rifles but are built more toward the beauty/art side. They shoot good but I think they are works of art more than field guns. But hey don't get me wrong I would love to be stalking African game with a fine Dakota rifle. But my style is more throw it down in the dirt and eliminate some plains rats. So I will keep my Nesika and add a couple of more to the safe as time and budget allows.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best highend bolt action rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!