Anyone else have "pet" names for their guns?

PDA

12 Volt Man
July 9, 2003, 01:01 PM
My Brother-In-Law call our guns by names, started as a joke, but now each new gun needs a name. Here are a few of mine.

Romanian SAR1 = Soochka (not sure on spelling) means "little bitch" in Russian

Springfield XD9 = The Croatian Sensation

Bulgarian Makarov = Nikoli

Bushmaster M4gery = G.I. Joe

Kahr K9 = Rover

-------------------------------------------------------

These are a Utah reference that probably only you Utah guys will get:

"The Presidency"

CZ97B = The President
CZ75BD = The 1st Counselor
CZ P-01 = The 2nd Counselor

----------------------------------------------------------

there are a few other still un-named guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else have "pet" names for their guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Henry Bowman
July 9, 2003, 01:03 PM
No. :scrutiny:

Arcli9ht
July 9, 2003, 01:18 PM
I'll admit to this... :uhoh:

My SL8 is Slate... not too ingenious, but it matches the color.

The Benelli Nova turkey gun is Big Ben.

The Mini-14 was Sparky.

Those are all of the ones that I have/had that have names.

/Arcli9ht

Kinsman
July 9, 2003, 01:32 PM
Dang....

Ol' Grand-Dad is a hawg-leg 3-screw Blackhawk in .44 that used to belong to......ol' Grand-Dad.

MJRW
July 9, 2003, 01:35 PM
My GP-100 is "Muffin"
My 870 is "Baby Girl"

dairycreek
July 9, 2003, 01:36 PM
What a ridiculous idea. After all, Harry and Ethel are just guns. Good shooting;)

Mike Irwin
July 9, 2003, 01:37 PM
Nope. I don't name inanimate objects.

Dr.Rob
July 9, 2003, 01:39 PM
Only a few have nicknames.

The Machine (a seecamp DA triggered 1911 kit gun)

"Bam-bam and thumper" sometimes go to the range with me when I don't want to say "AK and 870".

Kharn
July 9, 2003, 01:53 PM
'Beater' is how I refer to my home-smithed 1911, there's always something wrong with it (right now I need to stake on a new plunger tube), beaver tail is badly fitted, the cold bluing is for crap and it shoots about as good as it looks.

All of my other guns function properly and look presentable, so I call them by their model name/number (or a shortened version thereof, AR instead of Ar15, AK instead of AK47, etc).

Kharn

5ptdeerhunter
July 9, 2003, 01:55 PM
Not really a pet name. But whenever I speak of my Mosin Nagant M44 I always say M44 BOOM!

John Ross
July 9, 2003, 01:59 PM
I do this occasionally, usually for a new shooter that is amused by the inventiveness of it.

Some are mine, some are traditional...

MGs:
Lewis gun--The Belgian rattlesnake
FN Model D BAR--The Belgian Jackhammer
MG42--"Hitler's buzz saw" or "The Devil's impact wrench"
Any heavy 9mm subgun--The Girlfriend gun
M60--The Abortion
MG81Z--The Poor Man's Minigun

Handguns:
Any suppressed .22--The Hush Puppy
Any Ti/Scan .357 J-frame--De Sade
Anything chromed--Homeboy

Rifles:
6mm Ackley bench gun--The crow popper
Van Horn .510 Wells--Poison
16-lb. K&P .50 BMG--The Thunderbolt
2-Bore--Junior

JR

bogie
July 9, 2003, 02:10 PM
John, what's that MG81Z?

My bench gun is a plain finish Stolle Panda with rough-turned (on the outside) barrels, glued into a black unfinished Lee Six stock that was inletted for a Kodiak - used to belong to Jerry Johnson, who cared far more about accuracy than about appearances. When Ron Hoehn sold it to me when he was taking care of the estate, he remarked that it looked pretty ugly, but that it shot. I returned that it looked just plain Butt Ugly. So, since then, it has been the Butt Ugly Gun. Sooner or later, I'm probably going to finish a portion of the buttstock, and have a friend of mine airbrush a seriously stacked nude on it, facing away and looking over her shoulder with a two-bagger face...

Yeah, benchresters are weird. I've got a buddy who has a gun that's called Bama Trash - The butt on that one is finished (instead of a buttplate) and painted with a stripper doing that ol' "bend over and look backwards" routine...

brownie0486
July 9, 2003, 02:13 PM
Sure do:

Glocks---------------glock
Sigs------------------sig
S+W-----------------S+W
Seecamp------------seecamp
NAA------------------NAA

I think you get the idea .

If I started naming my guns I'd have to do the same thing with the knives, kali sticks, canes, cars, and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

Well, you get the idea.

Brownie

Flashpoint
July 9, 2003, 02:24 PM
Uh, lets see, there the .22, the 20, the .40, and the 9. I guess when I get more than one gun in a caliber/gauge I'll start giving them names:D

Skunkabilly
July 9, 2003, 02:26 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=342294

Daisy, Bambi, Grace and Nina. The Vertec is unnamed and doubt will stay in the armory long. Knives are unnamed.

brownie0486
July 9, 2003, 02:31 PM
Hey skunk:
Nice to see you have a scout configuration.
I have 5 of those [ one shortie, the rest full BR's ]. Three of them are prebans.

Nice aren't aren't they?

Brownie

MonkeyMan
July 9, 2003, 02:41 PM
M38 Swedish Mauser is Brunhilde,
M38 Russian Mosin-Nagant is Pyotr,
M39 Finn "B" barrel is Anna Maria.

Kcustom45
July 9, 2003, 02:41 PM
I know this is real original, but I have been known to call my Kimber Custom Kimberly. In my defense I mainly do it to irritate my girlfriend who tells me that she should be the only woman in my life. :D

Skunkabilly
July 9, 2003, 03:13 PM
Nice to see you have a scout configuration.
I have 5 of those [ one shortie, the rest full BR's ]. Three of them are prebans. Nice aren't aren't they?

They're alright, I'm not overly impressed with the fit, finish and overall quality, but it does the job. I guess I shouldn't get attached to a beater gun anyway...in case I break it, I wouldn't really care except for the :cuss: price tag on it :o

I didn't have much of a choice in Cali, either that or a Mini-14 and like hell I'm buying one if they don't have factory 10-rounders. :cuss: Bill Ruger Sr! :cuss:

BamBam-31
July 9, 2003, 03:48 PM
Okay, I'll play.

Garand is Isabella.
Rem 870 is Zeus.
Mini-14 is B.A.

Funny. I only name long guns, not handguns.

ialevy
July 9, 2003, 03:52 PM
I seem to call them all Blasty:D

Stickjockey
July 9, 2003, 04:14 PM
Just a few.

Series 70 Gold Cup: Sam

Navy Arms 1860 Army clone: Grampaw Samuel

Star Firestar M45: Baby

And my wife calls her Makarov Mak.

Mastrogiacomo
July 9, 2003, 04:24 PM
My Berettas: "Triddu" and "Giuliano."

MicroBalrog
July 9, 2003, 04:41 PM
Weapons should be named IMHO, like Excalibur.

Top_Notch
July 9, 2003, 04:42 PM
Skunk, pardon my ignorance but what is the handgun in the foreground? Where did you get and who made the grips? That's an awesome looking piece.

MicroBalrog
July 9, 2003, 04:44 PM
http://www.olegvolk.net/newsite/gungames/moria_s.jpg

Logistar
July 9, 2003, 04:57 PM
Bonnie (Taurus Semi) Clyde (Taurus revolver)

This came about due to the need to occasionally discuss CCWs in public with my SO.

For example... we meet to go hiking... there are (or may be) people around.

ME: Honey, did Clyde come down with you?
SO: Yes, he sure did!

beats

ME: Honey, did you bring you Taurus 650 revolver full of 147gr Winchester .357 magnums?
SO: Yes, I sure did!

Ok, I exaggerated a bit.;) When carrying I always try avoiding any discussion of guns or that I might be carrying. If anything NEEDS to be said... using "pet names" is a lot more discreet.

- now if I could just come up with a good "pet name" for my SAR-1!

Logistar

Skunkabilly
July 9, 2003, 05:08 PM
Skunk, pardon my ignorance but what is the handgun in the foreground? Where did you get and who made the grips? That's an awesome looking piece.

Beretta 92G Elite II with Carbon Creations carbon fiber grips. Trigger job, sight installation and tactical karma from Ernest Langdon.

St. Gunner
July 9, 2003, 05:09 PM
AK- Fugly

A-bolt stalker- Black Death(named by my wife)

Rem870- Bess

Whatever I am packin- My sweet little friend...

Had a .45/70 I called Thors Hammer for awhile, but it only lasted for a bit before I sold it.

The A-bolt was named after a series of shots at a pack of running hogs at an obscene range using a wood fence post for a rest. I dropped five with four shots and she exclaimed "You need to call that thing death" then she looked it over and said, "Black Death."

The Ak got named when a guy I hunt with looked at it and said, "That is the (censored) ugliest thing I have ever seen, has to be made in China." Course anything that is not a Winchester 88 is an abomination straight from Hell according to him, cept he does want a Barret 82.:D

igor
July 9, 2003, 09:01 PM
Noo-o. :confused:

Dionysusigma
July 9, 2003, 09:10 PM
Let's see here...

SAR-1: "Ivan the Terrible" :D

The rest don't have names yet. I was thinking of getting a Romanian "Dragunov" 7.62 x 54R and naming it Vlad Csepish, Vlad for short (as in Vlad the Impaler, Count Csepish, Dracula...)

:evil:

cool45auto
July 9, 2003, 10:02 PM
I call my Vertec Nikita.

The Vertec is unnamed and doubt will stay in the armory long.
:(

ed dixon
July 10, 2003, 04:22 PM
The inverse to "pet names." My ma has a 130-lb. Akita named Magnum. Talk about muzzle flip.

Correia
July 10, 2003, 05:25 PM
I don't usually name guns. However sometimes one just kind of sticks. My Ishapore Enfield is called Big Ugly.

gbelleh
July 10, 2003, 05:30 PM
I only have names for a couple...

The Makarov quickly got the name "Bernie Mak"

The Bersa .380 was called "Bertha" for a while.

Andrew Wyatt
July 10, 2003, 05:53 PM
I named my mossberg, "Fang, Killer of Goblins and Illuminator of Dark Places" since it's my HD gun and has a light on it.

makdaddy03
July 10, 2003, 05:57 PM
Little Mak for the Makarov.
KT for the Kel-Tec.
Finny for the Finn. M39.

10-Ring
July 10, 2003, 06:33 PM
I've tried to name my guns, but nothing really sticks...oh well :uhoh:

St. Gunner
July 10, 2003, 08:36 PM
ed dixon,

Ha, I like it, I had a pitbull female once we used to hunt hogs with and she was named "Kitty", people would crap when I would call, "Here kitty, kitty, kitty..." and this big ol black bulldog would come screaching around the corner of the house.

:D

Gewehr98
July 10, 2003, 10:06 PM
http://mauser98.com/870trenchsmall.jpg

ed dixon
July 10, 2003, 10:26 PM
Gunner, last month my uncle and I made the annual trip to the vet for Ol' Maggie Boy's shots. Yes, it is at least a two-man job, plus warning the vet, who then proceeds to bump us to the front of the line. When we come in, the waiting room's patients and owners are lined against the far wall and I hear a remark passed that "This is like with Hannibal Lecter." Same vet gave my mom take-home shots to administer herself a couple years ago (she's a nurse) and then begged her never to mention his breach of protocol to anyone. Not proud of the boy's "unpredictability" with strangers, but I've read several times that Akitas get hard-wired early and after that trust only the people they knew when young. Upside: mom has a quiet assassin waiting for intruders. Downside: if dementia hits in a few years, will he remember us?

hillbilly
July 11, 2003, 12:31 AM
One of my favorite rifle instructors insists that students name their rifles.....It reinforces the idea that all rifles are
in a sense individuals.....They all react differently to different ammo, temperature, humidity, wind, etc.

But, he's an ex-Marine who knows the Marine's Rifleman's Creed by heart....."My rifle is human and I shall treat it as such."

My rifle, a Remington 700 VS in .308 was stolen, but I found it again at a gun show 14 months later.

As such, her name is now Grace......What once was lost, now is found. Plus, she's pretty damn amazing to boot.

hillbilly

Hot brass
July 11, 2003, 04:51 AM
Browning BPCR I call him Big Mo:D

BamBam-31
July 11, 2003, 04:59 AM
Gewehr98,

How did you get that bayo on the boomstick...er, Beauford?

Not_A_Llama
July 11, 2003, 08:03 AM
AR15 kit gun: Dick Justice

Blatently stolen from Max Payne, but I thought it was funny.

Mr. Goodglock
July 11, 2003, 08:11 AM
S&W 19-1 "Tina"
Ithaca 37 "Celine"
Glock 19 "Marie"
Ruger 10/22 "Marion"
Benelli M4 "Charlotte"

Gewehr98
July 11, 2003, 09:47 PM
Year ago, during the troubles in Vietnam, Uncle Sam, particularly the Marine Corps, bought a bunch of Remington 870's with a unitized extended magazine tube, barrel clamp, forward swing swivel, and bayonet lug. The gun was called the Remington 870 Mark I. Remington also offered boxed conversion kits to transform standard 870's to the Mark I configuration. Beauford, who started life as a Wal-Mart 870 3" Express, has one of those front ends grafted onto it. It accepts all of the variations of M16 bayonets. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else have "pet" names for their guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!