arsenal wood furniture question

PDA

craig_o
September 21, 2007, 12:11 AM
hey guys,

did a search and came up blank...

can the polymer Arsenal Inc. AKMs take aftermarket wooden furniture? Saw nothing to convince me otherwise, but haven't heard anyone mention it/post about it either... I noticed they don't sell parts directly, but would a Global Trades Bulgarian set fit for instance?

If you enjoyed reading about "arsenal wood furniture question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nalioth
September 21, 2007, 07:30 AM
so long as you use stamped receiver furniture on a stamped receiver AK and milled furniture on a milled receiver AK, you can mix-n-match all you like.

DiN_BLiX
September 21, 2007, 09:07 AM
watch your compliance!

1 old 0311
September 21, 2007, 10:09 AM
www.ironwooddesigns.com

Onmilo
September 21, 2007, 10:20 AM
Crutches and Koochies, here we go with compliance again.
Arsenal USA is building the rifles here in the good old USA and the rifles meet compliance requirements.

I highly doubt you will meet the BATFE agent so anal in their approach to firearms that they will take a great issue with you using foreign made wooden fixed, non folding, non collapsing, furniture on your Arsenal USA rifle.

They may get a little pissy if you mount up a Russian made Krinkov side folder and a GL-30 grenade launcher but I am betting nobody will seize your rifle and impound your dog for switching over to a fixed wooden stock.

nalioth
September 21, 2007, 10:33 AM
Crutches and Koochies, here we go with compliance again.
Arsenal USA is building the rifles here in the good old USA and the rifles meet compliance requirements.

I highly doubt you will meet the BATFE agent so anal in their approach to firearms that they will take a great issue with you using foreign made wooden fixed, non folding, non collapsing, furniture on your Arsenal USA rifle.

They may get a little pissy if you mount up a Russian made Krinkov side folder and a GL-30 grenade launcher but I am betting nobody will seize your rifle and impound your dog for switching over to a fixed wooden stock. It is the law. Please do not denigrate it, whatever your personal opinion may be.

MudPuppy
September 21, 2007, 10:49 AM
I have ironwood furniture on my bulgy milled arsenal.

I hate it (its too pretty and I worry about scratching or dinging it!).

The yugo and tantal stuff are some examples of things that may not fit.

922r is indeed the law. While I've never heard of a charge on this offense (and am doubtful 99% of LE would know or care about such sillines), it's still the law. Now, the law does say its illegal to import or assemble--if you're simply in possession of something that has been done by someone, that doesn't appear as being explicitly illegal. And internet legal advice is less than worthless. :)

Onmilo
September 21, 2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah you are right.
Do not ever,ever,ever, use a foreign made fixed rifle stock on your wonder rifle.
The laws are well thought out by intelligent people and violating these laws will almost completely assure that anything resembling an assault rifle will be banned just as sure as electing any of the big name candidates running for the most powerful office in America.
Even though I haven't seen a law that makes it illegal to install a foreign made fixed stock on an American made rifle which has some of the unfinished parts brought in from Bulgaria and final machined and final finished here making the rifle legal under the law to possess such things as a bayonet lug, short barrel, and selective fire where allowed.

DiN_BLiX
September 22, 2007, 10:05 AM
I am betting nobody will seize your rifle and impound your dog for switching over to a fixed wooden stock.

But they can send you to prison for a long long time.

nalioth
September 22, 2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah you are right.
Do not ever,ever,ever, use a foreign made fixed rifle stock on your wonder rifle.
The laws are well thought out by intelligent people and violating these laws will almost completely assure that anything resembling an assault rifle will be banned just as sure as electing any of the big name candidates running for the most powerful office in America.
Even though I haven't seen a law that makes it illegal to install a foreign made fixed stock on an American made rifle which has some of the unfinished parts brought in from Bulgaria and final machined and final finished here making the rifle legal under the law to possess such things as a bayonet lug, short barrel, and selective fire where allowed.Please do not spread your FUD here. You can use whatever parts you like, so long as you have 10 foreign parts or less on your rifle. Below is the law.

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 27, Volume 2]
[Revised as of April 1, 2003]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 27CFR478]

[Page 101-169]

TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND FIREARMS

CHAPTER II--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES,
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

PART 478--COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

on page 119....

[T.D. ATF-270, 53 FR 10494, Mar. 31, 1988]

Sec. 478.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun
using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this
section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under
section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily
adaptable to sporting purposes.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution
by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or
agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political
subdivision thereof; or
(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of
testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the
provisions of Sec. 478.151; or
(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into
or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the
replacement of any part of such firearm.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

What this means is that your rifle
!!CANNOT HAVE MORE THAN 10 IMPORTED PARTS ON THAT LIST!!

Onmilo
September 22, 2007, 02:34 PM
I am well aware of the law.
I still am not seeing where adding a stock, handguard, and top rail will put you over the line on an Arsenal USA rifle???????

Since Craig asked the initial question here is an answer.
Call Arsenal USA and ask them:
1-888-539-2220

http://www.arsenalinc.com

jon_in_wv
August 1, 2009, 08:33 AM
If its 100% made in the USA you can do whatever you want to it. The issue is if it was assembled from foreign parts. Then you need to keep 922 compliance in mind when you replace parts on it. At least, thats my understanding.

nalioth
August 1, 2009, 08:45 AM
If its 100% made in the USA you can do whatever you want to it. The issue is if it was assembled from foreign parts. Then you need to keep 922 compliance in mind when you replace parts on it. At least, thats my understanding. I am so glad you were able to help the OP almost 2 YEARS after he asked his question. I'm sure he was waiting with bated breath on your input.

Folks, please don't be thread necromancers.

jon_in_wv
August 1, 2009, 11:32 AM
Oops. Didn't catch that. Good thing we have superior, too cool for the room, mightier than thou, guys like you to point that out to people. I only wish that one day I would be as smart, and perfect as you are.

If you enjoyed reading about "arsenal wood furniture question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!