Decisions, Decisions...

PDA

TheDisturbed1
September 21, 2007, 08:55 AM
OK, so I'm in a dilema...

Alaska state PFD is $1,654 this year, and to make it an even #, I'm reserving the $654 for bills and food to give me an $1k for a new investment :D.

So in my mind of the list of potentials...

Mosin-Nagant (M44-M38-91/30) - For the prices, I might get one regardless of what else I buy.

AES-10 /or/ WASR-10 - I'm really wanting an AK in 7.62x39, the AES is much more preffered, but I'll settle on the WASR if my local shop already sold out.

Romanian FPK - It would be the first ever online purchase by me, but I covet these things like crazy.

AR-15 - one of those "less than 1k" models, an outdoors store uptown from me has a few purty ones on the wall, including 6.5mm (not sure of the price on that one)

Mossberg 500 /or/ Remington 870 Tact. - A somewhat better HD option, the 500 has collapsable stock while the 870 has a rock hard reputation...

SA 1911-A1 - I know, not a rifle but another coveted Item... I'll look around for RIA 1911's in spare time, but for now... the stainless beauty has my attention :)

Ok, so as you all have read this... Here comes the fun.

Based on either Personal Preferance or Bang for the Buck (or both), vote on one (2 at most please) of these fine canidates :)
May very well be the direction of my purchase :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Decisions, Decisions..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nolo
September 21, 2007, 10:15 AM
Definitely the Mosin. Lovely rifles, they are. Just make sure you get to hand-pick yours, you'll get a real gem that way.
I'd go with an AK as well.

RockyMtnTactical
September 21, 2007, 12:20 PM
AR15, of course! :evil:

hags
September 21, 2007, 12:24 PM
John Hancock mutual fund?

I'd go AR too, you can buy quality for less than $1K.

TheDisturbed1
September 21, 2007, 02:35 PM
Permanent Fund Divident, an Alaskan treat :D

And I'm really turned towards an AR... what are the brands to avoid?

Bazooka Joe71
September 21, 2007, 02:46 PM
I voted for AR 15 and a mosin(I like the m38 and m44 the best)

The AR15 because, well, everybody needs one.

and the Mosin because, well, everybody needs one AND they are so darn cheap! @ $60-100 they are practically FREE!!!:D

rjohnson4405
September 21, 2007, 03:01 PM
Shotguns are widely considered the best HD option. They can do it all to with just a change of ammunition and barrels.

You can get a nice AR for under 1000, Bushmaster or DPMS are my favorites. 6.8 SPC is a great round, but unless you're loaded the gun and bullets are gonna break the bank. I don't think there's much for reloading yet either.

Anyway, respond to bumps in the night with the shotgun and have the AR to back you up or for longer shots.

Mossberg 590 is awful nice, marine finish you can leave it anywhere and not worry about rust.

I voted shotty and AR in case you were wondering for pure Self-Defense purposes. Oh, and like you said a mosin shouldn't even be considered because if you eat out two times less this week you can afford one.

Let us know what you get!

DMK
September 21, 2007, 04:17 PM
Get a Mosin, but get a Finn M39, not one of those rough Russian models.

That should give you enough left for a Mossy 500.

Or just get a nice AR15.

Acera
September 21, 2007, 08:47 PM
What are the anti's going to take away first? The Mosin, 1911, or a pump shotty? Probably not. I would invest in the AR, or more specifically, a bunch of AR lowers, and then build up one to my personal specifications. You have got to remember you have one more check coming before the Democrats possibly take control, and then you will wish you had spent the money on one of the black rifles, as the prices skyrocket through the roof. Remember that the stuff we can by for $750 today, was over $1500 just a few years ago during the ban.

glockman19
September 21, 2007, 09:29 PM
I vote AR & 870. You might be able to get both. If you decided to you could soend the $654 & get the 1911 too.

RustyHammer
September 21, 2007, 09:56 PM
In Alaska with the harsh weather, I'd go with the AK-47. Could probably grab a 1911 or a good shotgun with the "extra" .... but leave room for AMMO!!!

lamazza
September 21, 2007, 10:19 PM
Keep in mind how often you will shoot it and the price of ammo.
While Mosin is cheap the milsurp ammo will eventually run out and/or get alot more expensive.
I say go for AR or AK platform and ammo will always be plentiful and reloading components are always available.

Hoppy590
September 21, 2007, 11:17 PM
Keep in mind how often you will shoot it and the price of ammo.
While Mosin is cheap the milsurp ammo will eventually run out and/or get alot more expensive.
I say go for AR or AK platform and ammo will always be plentiful and reloading components are always available.

thats flawd logic. eventualy 5.56 and 7.62x39 will fall out of favor much like x54r did. production will slow. and when you compare that 54r has been plentiful for over 100 years. in comparison how long do you think we will keep using 5.56 and X39

get the mosin AND one of the otheres. plenty cheap

jpwilly
September 22, 2007, 01:53 AM
What kind of shooting do you want to do and how much will you be lugging it around? I picked the FPK cause that's next on my list. Have two AR's, one AK on order, 3 Nagants and a couple of 1911's, SKS, Enfields, Mausers, 870 tactical, (plus a few more). Love them all!

Loanshark
September 22, 2007, 04:22 AM
Living in Alaska without a shotty... There should be a law!! I can't disagree with the posters that encourage a potential urgency needed regarding the black rifles though... so many guns, so little time...

Let us know what you do.

TheDisturbed1
September 23, 2007, 01:39 AM
I hear y'all... I need a shotty to complete the circle of guns, but then I'd need an FPK for touching distance... not to mention it fires the same round as the Mosins...

Looks like AR-15 is leading in the Poll... I know that the no-go breeds are high in numbers... quite sad really, a fine rifle like so should be made RIGHT.

I saw an 870 with marine finish and folding stock at a gunshop a few months ago... If they still had it, I'd throw it on layaway in a heartbeat!

I too, can see the market for 5.56 and x39 ammo dying down... BUT the 5.56 is the primary ammo for Military/Police application all over the country... If it disappears, it'll be back... But I see the price rising every month, main reason I got a WASR-3 (5.56 variant) was the fact that when I was buying it, the place selling AK's had absolutely NO 7.62x39 ammo in stock... Now he has cases and cases :p

Go figure. haha

Keep commenting!

TheDisturbed1
September 24, 2007, 01:49 PM
AR-15 heads the Poll.

Shopped around, found some Nice looking Bushmasters in 16" and 20" A3 config. for under $1000... I think I'll go with the 20", since my AK is about 16" itself.

Any thoughts?

Cosmoline
September 24, 2007, 02:02 PM
Arctic, instead of a run of the mill Mosin I'd suggest very strongly getting a Finn. Ammo King over on Dimond has some M-39's in stock that look quite nice, and WGA on line has a rotating stock of them for sale. The prices are already heading north, and come a day they'll be gone. I've used Mosins as trail guns for many years. If you can master the safety they're fantastic. And if you can't master the safety you need to grow stronger.

The FPK/PSL is a good idea as well if you can lay hand on one. They fly off the shelves when they come into town. Just do a little homework to make sure you're not getting one built from parts.

I have no idea why people think the AR is a good choice other than the fact that they're really expensive and would eat up the maximum amount of your PFD. I never saw much use for them up here.

I don't know where folks get this idea. The ball ammo will run out, but there are a dozen factories from the Czech Republic to the heart of Russia churning out inexpensive 54R. The supply is far more reliable than AR or AK ammo because you don't have to compete with military needs.

TheDisturbed1
September 24, 2007, 02:06 PM
I havent seen a sefety (visible) on any mosins... a guy i know just leaves the bolt open :p

Cosmoline
September 24, 2007, 02:10 PM
The knob on the back of the bolt is lifted up and turned counter clockwise. It turns the pin's shoulders so it can't go forward and locks the whole back end of the bolt assembly to the frame itself. I don't know of a safer safety on any rifle. I like them for going cocked and locked on the trail.

People have a hard time with it because they aren't used to it. Just grip it strongly and lift back and over with your arm muscles, not your finger muscles. Leaving the bolt open is pretty bizarre, since there's no half cock on a Mosin.

GarandOwner
September 24, 2007, 02:15 PM
It comes down to personal preference; Mosin Nagants are great accurate economical guns. If you get one, I'd recomend the 91/30 over the M44 or M38. I wouldn’t go with a semi-auto ak-47, they aren't as accurate as a AR, sure they are reliable, but I clean my rifles after each use so this doesnt concern me as much. DO NOT get a FPK, I had a Russian Dragunov for a while, and even the real thing is only a 1.5 moa gun. The FPK's have nothing in common with the Dragunov except the name, if you look at them side by side you can see they are nothing alike. I think I remember hearing somewhere that they only call the FPK a Dragunov over here as a marketing ploy. Also don't trust the people trying to sell you a Tigr carbine as a SVD Dragunov. They are very similar, but still different. Shorter barrel, less accurate, and do not have the adjustable gas system that the Dragunov SVD has. Having said that, I'd say get yourself a 1911-A1, they are great hand guns, reliable, accurate, and .45 is such a wonderful caliber. Of course personally I think you should toss the poll and go get yourself a Garand. I have only meet one person who has shot my Garand that didn’t like it, he said it "didn’t shoot fast enough for him" oh and he also said he could hit a golf ball at 100 yards with his AK :rolleyes: Though my spotting scope that day showed he was having trouble keeping on the paper of a life size silhouette at 100 yards :neener:

I don't know of a safer safety on any rifle
I find the saftey on the Mosin to be rather poor. a hard nock can cause the saftey to disengage. Off the top of my head I'd say, 1903A3 has a better saftey, it also holds the firing pin, which disengages the trigger. So you can still pull it, and it wont fire.

Cosmoline
September 24, 2007, 02:24 PM
One of the things that's kept me clear of Garands, apart from prices, is the difficulty in finding the proper ammo locally. .30'06 is easy to find, but Garand safe '06 is another matter. GNG has some usually, but it's actually easier to find 54R. I have no idea who stocks .30 M2 Ball up in Fairbanks.

RockyMtnTactical
September 24, 2007, 03:03 PM
I recommend a 16" barrel in an AR15, personally.

Ash
September 24, 2007, 03:11 PM
I like the FPK/PSL and can certainly recommend a nice Finnish Mosin, built specifically for those cold northern climates.

Ash

Cosmoline
September 24, 2007, 03:19 PM
All arctic warriors must have a Finnish Mosin

http://www.mosinnagant.net/images/simohayha.jpg

10-Ring
September 24, 2007, 06:07 PM
Not knowing what will happen in this political climate, I'd go AR 15 followed by 870 & then the 1911 then follow them up w/ lots & lots of ammo

doc2rn
September 24, 2007, 06:52 PM
I like the 500a Moss pump, new under $285 with both barrels. Throw in a Mossin for $100 and you still have plenty to put another on deck.

mp510
September 24, 2007, 07:18 PM
Mosin and AR!

TheDisturbed1
September 24, 2007, 11:43 PM
20" A3 Bushmaster looks like a sure option at this point...

whats leftover from the additional $650 can go towards either a shotty, Mosin, or 1911

TheDisturbed1
October 10, 2007, 11:05 PM
7 days left in Poll, throw in any opinons/votes by next Wed.

Eightball
October 11, 2007, 02:42 AM
Romanian FPK - It would be the first ever online purchase by me, but I covet these things like crazy.This answers the question, right there.

Go with what you want.

Acheron
October 11, 2007, 12:25 PM
Get either a Mosin/AK (I'd pick a Yugo M70 UF) or a Mosin/1911. As Cosmoline said before, Mosins make great trail guns. The 1911 is just a classic sidearm, nothing wrong with that.

jefnvk
October 11, 2007, 01:04 PM
Should be able to easily get a 1911, 870 and Mosin for under $1000.

Baron357
October 11, 2007, 01:39 PM
I would get the Mosin and a 1911 b/c I already have an AK, But if I did not have a rifle like an AK or AR then I would get one of them. I am partial to the AK but not just a regular WASR, a nice one like Arsenal, I LOVE mine.

CZ52GUY
October 11, 2007, 01:42 PM
I recommend the Mossberg for your locale, and please avoid the telestock with the Mossy (with the accompanying Pistol Grip stock).

A pistol grip on a Mossy (even with a fixed stock arrangement) inhibits best interaction with the ergonomic design in terms of activating safety and action release lever.

An 870 is also an excellent choice. I'm a fan of the Mossberg as an affordable, reliable shotty. The Ghost Ring 590 is an outstanding weapon for HD and dealing with issues both 2-legged and 4.

For an AR, the Rock River Arms "vanilla" CAR is a good value, but may exceed your budget in your area.

You might consider upgrading your taste in AK to something like this one:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=278

I had a SAR-1 from Century and then stepped up to a Armory USA (Global Trades) SSR-56, then an Arsenal Inc. SAM-7S. An AK can be more than a "'gun they use where there is no indoor plumbing" type of rifle. I've spent a fair amount of time customizing my Commie Rifles to taste and been quite pleased with the results.

You have the kind of problem most of us would enjoy having :D.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Safe Shooting,

CZ52'

If you enjoyed reading about "Decisions, Decisions..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!