Oiling lower B4 ar15 build?

PDA

epi 1:10,000
September 21, 2007, 02:12 PM
I was wondering if anybody oiled their lower B4 they assemble it? If so what kind of oil do they let soak in and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Oiling lower B4 ar15 build?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DMK
September 21, 2007, 03:10 PM
I do. I always oil gun parts before assembly to resist corrosion.

I soak the parts with Breakfree CLP when I buy them, put them in a ziplock baggie and put them in a box as I collect all the parts I need. When I'm ready for assembly, I wipe it down with a rag until there is just a slight film. That will eventually evaporate.

Parts that need lubrication (like the trigger and hammer pins) get another drop of oil at time of assembly.

IndianaBoy
September 21, 2007, 03:17 PM
The lower itself is anodized aluminum, it can't rust. It doesn't need to be oiled. It certainly doesn't need to soak in oil. The parts kit might benefit from a light coating of oil, and you should definitely put a drop of oil on the contact points of moving parts when you assemble the rifle.

But there is no need to make a mess that will just attract carbon later by oiling your lower receiver.

ArmedBear
September 21, 2007, 04:33 PM
The thing about CLP is that, if you oil the lower and the parts, then wipe them off without getting too thorough, it will leave a bit of lubricant in the nooks and crannies where you might want it but will never think to put it, like in the spring holes for the detent balls, and other odd places like that.

At least that's my opinion about the matter.

TexasRifleman
September 21, 2007, 05:52 PM
I assemble everything dry myself then lube it afterwards like normal.

The hammer and trigger pins dont move inside the lower so you can just drop some lube over the spring wires as usual after its put together.

Greasy parts make everything harder to hold on to and adds to the assembly time.

I never put lube inside the spring detent holes, that's just asking to attract crud and gunk.

My guns come apart often enough for everything to get a good cleaning.

Thats the nice thing about building your own, once you do it you see how easy it is to take the whole thing apart and clean it now and then.

hags
September 21, 2007, 09:05 PM
The hammer and trigger pins dont move inside the lower so you can just drop some lube over the spring wires as usual after its put together.

No, but the hammer and trigger rotate on these parts. I assemble with a small touch of Brownell's Action Lube Plus moly grease. This assures a smooth action with these parts.

Onmilo
September 21, 2007, 10:52 PM
+1 on grease for lubeing parts during a build.
I use Tetra Gun Grease or GI rifle grease when building because that is what I have a lot of on hand.

Best part about grease over oil when building is that it doesn't migrate all over the outside of the weapon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oiling lower B4 ar15 build?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!