8mm ammo score.

PDA

IndianaBoy
September 21, 2007, 03:21 PM
You Mauser shooters are aware of this.

The 8mm milsurp ammo is gone. Dried up. It has been for a while. Lots of the NFA guys are in a panic.

I walked into a gun shop I spotted onto the way to an NRA banquet tonight, and he had a spread of the brightest, shiniest, prettiest 8mm ammo I have ever seen. It looks like better than the 5.56 I have seen coming out of Lake City.

I asked him if he sold it by the case. He said no.

But he effectively had it priced so cheap I couldn't believe it. So cheap it was basically like buying it buy the case. Cheaper than I could buy components and handload. I could put 1/2 of it on gunbroker and probably pay for it all.

Hehe... major score.

I am no longer desperate for Mauser food. The only caveat is I'm not sure if this stuff is berdan primed. If it is boxer primed... I seriously hit paydirt. It's probably corrosive, but windex is cheap.

Werd.

If you enjoyed reading about "8mm ammo score." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jonnyc
September 21, 2007, 03:27 PM
So, what is it? Markings?

DMK
September 21, 2007, 03:28 PM
What's the headstamp?

Lots of the NFA guys are in a panic. That's what they get for burning up all those cases of surplus, instead of stocking it up for the lean times. :p

IndianaBoy
September 21, 2007, 03:34 PM
So, what is it? Markings?

Pretty sure it's Yugo.

1961 on the headstamp.

Upside down "N" and a "K" as well.

Red primer sealant.

Case necks show annealing discoloration.

Very clean and shiny stuff. Packed on stripper clips in 15 round boxes. Boxes are pristine. The stuff has been well kept.

IndianaBoy
September 21, 2007, 03:37 PM
IIRC, primers seated slightly below flush are one indicator that a cartridge is berdan primed? These are slightly below flush.

IndianaBoy
September 21, 2007, 03:38 PM
That's what they get for burning up all those cases of surplus, instead of stocking it up for the lean times.

Maybe 8mm NFA items will come down in price once all the ammo is gone!!!! I can dream... right? I have a reloading press and patience......

DMK
September 21, 2007, 03:44 PM
That does sound like Yugo. Good score. :)

Some of that Yugo surplus was very nice indeed. I have some 8mm Yugo from the 50s that came on strippers, 15 round boxes. Good shooting stuff. My M39 Mosins shoot the 70's Yugo 7.62x54R very well too.

Some of the 50s Yugo 8mm had hard primers, but a stronger Wolf firing pin spring fixes that. Reduces lock time too.

Bartkowski
September 21, 2007, 06:28 PM
So how much was it?

IndianaBoy
September 21, 2007, 06:55 PM
2.00 per 15 round box.

LeibstandarteAdH
September 21, 2007, 07:38 PM
Thats former Yugo stuff made at what is now called Igman. Its all brass/Copper with no steel in the jacket. Its good stuff as long as you wack the primers plenty' hard enough. I just (like 2 weeks ago) bought about 30-40 boxes of the 1952 variety for 2.75 per 15 round box on 5 round stripper clips from the smaller of the two big tourist gun stores in vegas, forgot the name.

You will want to hold onto that stuff, as you have pointed out in your "kindly informative" post at the start of this thread, there will be no more imported that isnt already on its way here. 1.4 million rounds of it are about to land in the hands of a certain importer in north carolina, but the bad part is about 60% of it is already spoken for, and what isnt is going faster and for more of a backorder $ ammount every day.

offthepaper
September 21, 2007, 09:13 PM
2.00 per 15 round box.
--------------------------------------------

Whoa! :what:
That is cheap. Good find.

mobjacker
September 21, 2007, 10:49 PM
I have been getting this stuff from my gun shop. Brown box, 3x5rnds in strippers? I am paying $7.50 bx.

You mean no more is coming???
So I should stock up???

Deer Hunter
September 21, 2007, 10:51 PM
Gah, I should have stocked up on some russian 7.62x54 when I had the chance to... 1.50 for each little package.

rangerruck
September 21, 2007, 11:36 PM
just check out http://ammunitiontogo.com/

My boy BigDog , has got all the milsurp you could want, and the price is right!!!

elmerfudd
September 22, 2007, 12:35 AM
I bought 3 cases of 50's Yugo 8mm about 2 years ago for $55 each. I thought I was overdoing it at the time, but now I'm glad I did.

silverlance
September 22, 2007, 03:18 AM
i bought ammo like crazy for a while when i couldnt afford cool new guns like all the popular kids were having =)

7.50 for a box of 15! wow... that's a lousy price. you might as well buy wolf gold at 20/$11, and sell the spent brass.

that said the yugo stuff IS very good. it is quite accurate and made with all top quality components. i can kill the top of a bowling pin at 100 yards with my m48 using 50s yugo. the m48 isn't even matching.

If you enjoyed reading about "8mm ammo score." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!