Reloading saves money, and other boldfaced lies...

PDA

Noxx
September 21, 2007, 04:14 PM
So I've been reloading, and going to the range weekly for a while now. Of course I'm thrilled to death with all of the money I'm saving.

Heck today I saved myself out of $200, 'cause I found bullets on sale, and of course some "one shot", and this.... and that... and....

Then, of course, there's the brass.

I score all the brass I humanly can (see my "range rat" poll), working on the theory that it keeps forever, and with things the way they are in the world I don't see the price of metals taking any sort of long term dip. Ever. If I were to end up with 50,000 cases of 9mm in vacuum sealed buckets, that's just fine with me, hell if nothing else I'll sell it to finance my shooting when I'm old and brass is $18 a lb. I honestly foresee a day in the near future when most range owners will be doing a nightly patrol instead of letting shooters grab all that orphaned brass, as the price continues to go up.

Of course the problem with that philosophy is that I'm saving myself into the poorhouse every time I find a good deal on brass. Today my local got a ton of .45 in and was pushing it out on the cheap. I bought ten pounds of it, reconsidered (hey it ain't gettin any cheaper) and bought the 70lb bucket.

....two days after I just ordered 2k/.45 in the mail.

Bullets are the same way, metal components, they aren't going down in price, when I see 'em cheap I buy em until my wife's eyebrow goes up. Then I buy a few more and stop. I've probably got 500lbs of bullets in the garage, I'll get to em sooner or later, but to tell you the truth, I'd rather buy more tomorrow than next year, or the year after.

Good thing I don't have kids, I'd be saving them right outta collitch. :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading saves money, and other boldfaced lies..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
September 21, 2007, 04:34 PM
Ah, you need to start CASTING to really save money! :)

armoredman
September 21, 2007, 04:41 PM
oops, doubled.

joneb
September 21, 2007, 06:03 PM
You better stock up on more boolits the Chinese are buying up all the available lead for they're paint :mad:

Art Eatman
September 21, 2007, 07:24 PM
But, hey, look at the money you don't spend at some beer joint, since you're staying home loading ammo.

:D:D:D

Art

GaryL
September 21, 2007, 07:26 PM
You better stock up on more boolits the Chinese are buying up all the available lead for they're paint And the toys they sell us...

OAKVILLE SHOOTER
September 21, 2007, 08:16 PM
It's not that you save money reloading, but that you can shoot a lot more for the same money.

langenc
September 21, 2007, 08:57 PM
If you wonder about bullets get a copy of [I]Shooting Times[I] November 07 and read about 223 bullets and their making using fired 22LR cases for the jacket!~!!

sublimaze41
September 21, 2007, 10:41 PM
You said it yourself, it ain't getting any cheaper. Personally I would rather have it then be caught short. I use to dream about buying multi-thousand 55 grain FMJ and enough brass. I finally did it and felt silly until the 55 grain bullets (in bulk) dried up.

What the heck, at least I will be able to shoot for the next few years. This way I only have to make up excuses to my wife one time for AR ammo purchases.

Shell Shucker
September 21, 2007, 11:22 PM
I wish I'd bought a pallet of shot 2 years ago at $13 per bag...........

joneb
September 21, 2007, 11:29 PM
And the toys they sell us...
Geese there is maybe more lead in the Wal-Mart toy department than there is in my reloading cabinet :confused:

FLORIDA KEVIN
September 22, 2007, 07:33 AM
So far I have to agree with everything you said ! this reloading is rapidly taking on a life of it's own ! i started reloading to save money ,but I am finding I enjoy it almost as much as shooting ! having said that I will be on my way to the Ft.lauderdale gunshow this morning so I can :D "save more money " by paying 8 bucks to get in to look for some .454 casull brass and some 250-300 grain bullets that are hopefully cheaper than the JHP stuff i have been punching paper with !! LOL probably a fools errand !!:cuss:

K3
September 22, 2007, 08:43 AM
:D This has to be one of the best threads ever.

I've saved myself out of so much money that I've lost count.

Ooh, gotta get some more brass for my .96-08 MegaMag cuz ya never know.

I better get another 10K primers cuz they might be out of stock when the zombies come.

Do I really NEED a backup set of dies for every caliber? Well sure.

To show that I am completely hopeless, I have to admit that I've taken up brass scrounging at the range now. I'll be needing some buckets before long. :banghead:

ArkansasFatboy
September 22, 2007, 09:59 AM
I too have saved my self out of a lot of money.lol I try to scrounge all the brass I can from the local public range but the non-working rednecks have found that it brings some good money at the scrapyard but I still luck out every once in a while. The other day I picked up 200 .45acp and 20 .25-06 cases and a handful of .223:neener: I guess I am lucky my wife dosen't care how much money I "save" on reloading:)

FLORIDA KEVIN
September 22, 2007, 02:06 PM
Well the gunshow was a complete bust for me ! I did buy some loaded 357 mag rounds ! just because I wasnt going to go to the show , pay 5 bucks to park ,8 bucks admission and walk out with nothing ! nobody even had any 454 ammo ! I thinki am done with gunshows for a long while !:cuss:

actionflies
September 22, 2007, 02:23 PM
Reloading does not save me any money, it just allow me to shoot a lot more. For examle, before I started reloading, I would only shoot once a week and now for the same amount of money I am shooting 2-3 times a week in 45acp and 9mm and soon 357 magnum.:)

jeepmor
September 22, 2007, 02:42 PM
..is not my problem.

Now, back to the tumbler to swap out the clean 40 and 10mm for the 45. Running low on bullets, trip to Sportsman's Warehouse in order, then I'll need some powder, more bullets...etc...

See, I have my own problem, don't bother me with yours.:neener:

I do shoot a lot more now, but to say I have not paid for my equipment in savings and that I don't save money per round would be simply untrue.

Pigspitter
September 22, 2007, 03:43 PM
You better stock up on more boolits the Chinese are buying up all the available lead for they're paint
Ha, the ironry in that statement is that I'm stocking up on lead for when the Chinese come.

Walkalong
September 22, 2007, 04:46 PM
Reloading saves money, and other boldfaced lies...
You did not read the fine print in your contract.

"You will shoot more, shooting up any savings on reloads vs new ammo prices"
"You will continually find "cool new reloading stuff" you just "have to have""
"You will buy new guns in calibers that before it would be to expensive to shoot factory ammo in, BUT, since you reload now, you can afford to shoot them and you must buy them"

Etc. etc. etc. .......................................................... :evil:

Millwright
September 22, 2007, 05:11 PM
Well, I guess it all depends upon how you define, "save".......In case you haven't priced loaded ammo lately, your cost/rd will drop - precipitously - but as you note, you'll probably shoot more because ammo is so easy to get when and how you want it.

On the "plus" side reloading will force you to become a better shooter - if only because you'll gain much more familarity with the intracies of interior and exterior ballistics. Besides, your wife will always know where you're at....home at the bench....which qualifies as 'home time'...... >MW

broadsideofabarn
September 22, 2007, 05:48 PM
Start buying stock in copper mines. :D

target1911
September 22, 2007, 05:59 PM
UH-OHHH......Is that what is wrong with me??????
I just started loading last week and in anticipation, I have been stocking up on brass for the last month or so. I have brass but I wont have any lead till tomorrow night. When I ran outta lead I almost paniced. My GF gave me a funny look when I walked to my loading bench then walked away like a lost pup because I didnt have any lead to load.
I must get more lead....
I MUST get more lead....
I MUST GET more lead....
I MUST GET MORE lead....
NEED MORE LEAD NOOOOWWW

OOPS...LOL....guess I must controle myself...

The Bushmaster
September 22, 2007, 06:03 PM
I still don't see where the problem is. Could someone be so kind as to explain why this hobby draws so many people if it cost sooo much...I have to make this short...I hear a gun going off and I must see if I can collect the brass...Bye...

jhansman
September 22, 2007, 06:04 PM
Frankly, I don't really care if I'm saving money or not. The satisfaction and relaxation I get from reloading and shooting my own ammo far outweighs the cost of components and bench gear. Heck, I'd probably still do it even if it cost more.

Noxx
September 22, 2007, 06:20 PM
I have to make this short...I hear a gun going off and I must see if I can collect the brass...Bye...

Back! back! MINE!!!!!

FLORIDA KEVIN
September 22, 2007, 06:59 PM
LOL ! I was trying to improve my shooting by shooting more ! reloading allows me to do that ! but now when i miss i don't know if I dorked up the shot or the dorked up the reload !!

wcwhitey
September 22, 2007, 07:18 PM
When you find yourself shooting off a couple of boxes just so you can try a different load, freeing up some space in the ammo box, needing the brass, then you truly have a problem. If you are mad that you have used up all the loaded ammo storage, all the plastic boxes, all the cardboard boxes, then you have a problem. Have you bought a new caliber gun not just so you can try reloading for it, then you have a problem. Load to shoot, shoot to load, not sure which category I fall into. It's all good, two hobbies that compliment each other. My wife is the only one that I had to convince that I was saving money, I was never fooled. Bill

zxcvbob
September 22, 2007, 07:27 PM
Have you bought a new caliber gun not just so you can try reloading for it...

I'm picking up .45ACP and .40S&W brass at the range even though I don't have a gun chambered for either cartridge yet. When their respective coffee cans get full, it'll be gun buyin' time. :-)

(mostly I'm picking up scrap lead at the range lately, under the falling-metal-plate targets)

Bob

Walkalong
September 22, 2007, 08:46 PM
Have you bought a new caliber gun not just so you can try reloading for it...
Yes..... Remember, it's in the fine print. :uhoh:

target1911
September 22, 2007, 10:15 PM
I read and posted in this thread earlier......Then I just HAD to go to the range (I would call this a suggestive thread...the OP must own a gun range). I just couldnt bare the thought of all of the brass going to waste. I put another 100rds through my Kimber, a few through my PT 145 and my GF put about 150 through her
PT111. I come up short on my brass but made out really good on hers. Its an indoor range and they dont really like it when you start hoggin up the brass. I was doing really good and then a RO come walking up. OOPS....I got busted in the act.....OH WELL...no biggie

Noxx
September 22, 2007, 10:27 PM
the OP must own a gun range

I wish.

Actually I don't. Outdoor ranges don't make any money, indoor ranges just flat suck. One of these days I'll escape california and get a few acres of my own with a nice berm....

target1911
September 22, 2007, 10:31 PM
Actually I don't. Outdoor ranges don't make any money, indoor ranges just flat suck. One of these days I'll escape california and get a few acres of my own with a nice berm....

Thats what I am goin to do myself....The only problem with not goin to a public range is......NO FREE BRASS....other than what you have just put on the ground yourself

Lennyjoe
September 22, 2007, 11:49 PM
After seeing $165 for 500 rounds of .223 at the last gun show, I'm glad I got into reloading.

dmazur
September 25, 2007, 02:35 AM
Almost spilled coffee into my keyboard again. Should be some kind of warning icon for funny stuff...

I've read several sources that say you have reloading disease bad when you go shoot just so you have some empty brass.

A guy I work with just got into reloading again, after several years absence, and he is collecting brass and bullets for .44 Magnum. Then he's going to get a .44 Magnum so he has something to shoot it in:)

I find reloading lets you create that "just right" load. The problem is, there is nobody to tell you when to quit! So, you can keep chasing just right for a long, long time.

jungleroy
September 25, 2007, 04:05 AM
Oh so true, I do spend more money on loading components, but I shoot 5 to 6 times as much ammo now, and I cast slugs for all my 45's now so rolling my own has become even cheaper.
I have also been know to go shoot 50 rounds of 454 just to free up some brass to try a new load because I got a new mold that makes cute little 340 grain hammer headed jobbies.
Have no fear, you don't have any disease or actual tangible problems. You are just becoming more thrifty.

jeepmor
September 25, 2007, 07:08 AM
I've read several sources that say you have reloading disease bad when you go shoot just so you have some empty brass.

They have pills for that you know, I take 230, 180, 150, 124, 68, 60, 55 and 40 grain pills for mine. :D

ID_shooting
September 25, 2007, 08:14 AM
I realized I was in trouble when I bought a gun just becuase I had cans full of brass for it. I really have no need for .45acp, I didn't really want a .45acp, but I did have 6 coffee cans full of bras, dang. found a set of dies in a pawn shop for 5 bucks, crap, now I have .45acp dies too. Of phoey, the gun shop had some close out 230gr .45 bullets, ok, gotta buy those. ok, have primers allready, hmmm, big sale on powder yousay? OK. Now I have everything to load .45acp but no gun in that caliber. Off to the store I go, "hey, mr gun salesman, sell me a .45acp would you!"

I goes on and on and on, now I have a pile of loaded 10mm and no 10mm to shoot them out of, same with .270, crap, I thought I got to buy tires for my bike this month. Errrr, got to visit the gun shop some time today...

target1911
September 26, 2007, 12:37 AM
I have yet to start collecting brass for a gun I dont have. Maybe it would be a good idea to start with the way prices are. If nothing else, I could use it for trade.

I do have dies for a 380 I dont own but they came in a package deal. Maybe I should start collecting for that since I have plans to get one in the future.

No its not a disease...BUT
You must admit.....
It IS a passion.....a very addicting one.

HECK....I found myself paceing myself on how much I load each night. It would be a crying shame to have enough stuff to load 500 rds just to run outta primers mid stream........that reminds me....I need to get me some more powder tomorrow.

evan price
September 26, 2007, 01:48 AM
Geeze... I start collecting brass for what I already own. Then I found it was easier to just collect all the centerfire brass I could and sort it later. Now I am looking at a 5-gallon bucket mostly full of 30-06 cases and another one almost full of .223 cases and I am thinking, which rifle should I buy next, a .223 or a 30-06? I already have a .308 rifle and the .308 and the 30-06 can take the same projos... hmm.... but .223 I can do on my progressive.

I just bought a mint condition Midway 1292 tumbler with the Midway separator & bucket and both lids PLUS 5# of corncob for $26. My wife says "Why are you buying MORE reloading stuff?" and she didn't want to hear what a screaming deal it was.
I don't know how I got along without a tumbler before now! It's almost hypnotic watching the brass waves swirling in the bowl. One pops up.... descends to the center...gone... poetry.

So I saved myself out of another $46 with UPS included.

The wife is getting POed because buckets of brass are taking over the den and the press and tumbler are in the dining room.

At this rate, I'm going to save myself enough money from buying a new pole barn to put me in the poorhouse. :eek:

flynlr
September 26, 2007, 03:54 AM
I am saving myself so much money reloading I am eating mac and cheese and ramen more often .

target1911
September 26, 2007, 09:20 AM
FLYNLR.......

you just ruined my keeeyy borrddd. II gggoott toooo ggetttt aaaaaaaaaa nwww ooooooooneeee nnnnnnnoooooww

scout26
September 26, 2007, 11:40 AM
You ain't got it bad until you wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night thinking that there's a STS or AA hull that you missed still sitting out the trap or skeet field all cold and lonely..........

TheFrenchCanadian
September 26, 2007, 12:14 PM
Makes me feel like I'm not the only one out there...:)

Only been loading since April or so, and only in 9mm so far & I've already got buckets of brass just waiting to be cleaned up.

I've been accumulating stuff to start loading for my .270 as well so I can work up just the deer load I want, and just the thing for coyotes and gophers too.

I've got 3 or 4 lbs of powder for the rifle, and at least that for 9mm, as well as about 2 years worth of primers for both. Haven't loaded a round yet for the .270, despite having bought a new single stage press for exactly that!

Today, I must admit I've gone a little overbaord.

A friend was getting rid of a few hundred rounds of .223 for real cheap, and another friend actually has a .223 (I don't...). I figured what the heck, I'll do him a favor, and pass 'em on to the guy that has a .223. But in the process I'll take a third of 'em for myself, so when we go shooting together I won't have to bum ammo from him. Then I thought, maybe I can start reloading .223, since I'll have brass... and what the heck, a loadmaster can do .223 anyway... so maybe... just maybe... if I can sneak the stuff for .223 into the house without the wife seeing it....! :p

Our minds can be dangerous and costly at times!:D

TFC

K3
September 26, 2007, 12:52 PM
I collected a bunch of .40S&W brass at the range the other day. I don't own a .40. Never had the desire to. Does my collecting the brass mean that I will end up with one?

I'm thinking the odds are better than 50-50.

When I start collecting .264WinMag brass is when I'll admit I have a problem. :cool:

Bula
September 26, 2007, 01:00 PM
The first step is admitting you have a problem. At least we're in good company!

SSN Vet
September 26, 2007, 03:41 PM
Moderators....please delete the thread immediately.

If my wife reads this, I'm in big trouble. :o

and that starts with T :neener:

PointOneSeven
September 26, 2007, 04:33 PM
I fire my .44 magnum to free up brass, I'm guilty.

My components have always paid for themselves. I always buy enough powder/primers/bullets to offset the cost of buying new dies or equipment at the same time. It works, but I end up spending $100-$150 each time I start a new caliber. An investment up front pays off later.

Springfield_1911SS
September 26, 2007, 07:41 PM
if i ever saw brass for a gun i dont own or dont plan on owning i would still collect it to trade.

the other day i want to gander mountain to buy one pound of powder($30) and a box of primers($3) and on the way to the reloading seaction is the gun section, so i also ended up buying a new gun too, it was a good deal on a stoeger coach gun(12GA) for $100.00, so a $33 trip ended up being a $133 trip, maybe I could save some more money be reloading shot shells :D

koja48
September 26, 2007, 09:05 PM
And to save even more money, buy a second 45 & shoot with both hands! It's a hobby, no passion, I mean disease . . . my head hurts . . .

target1911
September 26, 2007, 09:43 PM
Have you ever woke up in the middle of the night just to make sure your press was ok? Ya know....not too lonely or cold??

YEAH....me niether

koja48
September 26, 2007, 10:32 PM
You actually SLEEP with a new press in the house?????

XD-40 Shooter
September 26, 2007, 11:25 PM
Every gun show I attend, we have at least 6 big ones out here every year, I buy all the 40 S&W and 357 mag brass that I see, as long as the price is right. I've got a good supply of bullets, powder, and primers, but I always seem to be short on brass. I also shoot every weekend, just so I can free up my brass for another load.:D So yes, I've got the disease, take all the money I've saved over buying factory ammo and buy more reloading components, in the end, I don't save a damn thing.:D:neener: But I have a heckuva lot more fun.:D

loud-mouth shnook
September 26, 2007, 11:31 PM
One thing I've not seen mentioned just yet is the plight of the semi-greenhorn/materialistic-only-child types like me.

example: Began loading .38 spl. Simple, no? "Hmmm...shooting a Smith 586 so why not .357's?" 'Kay. More brass, or in my case, more ammo (excuse to shoot to make brass). "Oops, prob'ly need small pistol MAGNUM (RAWWRR!) primers now." "What about this here H110/296?", etc.

After starting all over again experimenting with all the different bullet weights and styles for .357, just like with .38 spl., the situation stabilizes...

...until...

"Oh, man. All the old gurus say .45 ACP loads are far better if you handload them. Wayulp, I wanna be an old guru, too. So I better go get me a 1911." (which I've happened to have wanted since age 8) "WOOHOO!! Got my 1911!" (of course, more dies, different powders, primers, brass, and bullets) "Already been handloading .38's, .357 magnums, .357 maximums, and .44 magnums. YAY! I'm a guru now. Lemme just start this first batch of .45's."

Long story short, now I need a factory crimp die, I need to learn how to USE said factory crimp die, I need to figure out WHOSE factory freakin' crimp die I should get, and that's just the factory crimp die, fer crissakes. And then maybe with my SECOND batch I won't wind up with a slide stuck out of battery with a round poking halfway out the back of the chamber. (Did you know that you gotta use a different crimp on autopistol ammo than ya do with revolver ammo?) GRRRRR!

But hey..."RIFLES!!!! I'm gonna be the next P.O. Ackley!"...and on and on...

Seems like everytime I buy something to solve a problem or make a change, I wind up having to buy two more things to go with that first thing I bought.

The_Antibubba
September 27, 2007, 12:32 AM
I have saved, deprimed, and sorted by caliber and manufacturer thousands of range brass, in calibers I don't own guns for (for trade purposes, of course). No big deal, you say?

I have yet to reload a single round. Not one. I have the press, I have the dies, but no primers or powder. Yet. Soon.

joneb
September 27, 2007, 01:28 AM
I have yet to reload a single round. Not one. I have the press, I have the dies, but no primers or powder. Yet. Soon.
That just don't sound natural :confused:
I keep a eye :scrutiny: on my self' when I get home from shooting I should clean my guns. If I start reloading instead I punish myself by watching some stupid TV show with my wife :barf: Problem :confused: what problem :( Will my insurance cover this ????

flynlr
September 27, 2007, 04:00 AM
dont know what I got ,but I have been known to NOT leave the range until I find every last piece of brass that I fired that day. I once spent an hour looking for that last .40 brass .I felt like I hit the lottery when I found. it. do you know how insane it would be to go home with 4 boxes of 50 missing 1 piece I would have never gotten to sleep.

target1911
September 27, 2007, 09:15 AM
I know the feeling of not leaving your brass behind.......
HEY...you wouldnt leave your Dog or your gun behind would ya??? WHY...I say WHY would anyone even THINK anbout leaving 1 piece of brass behind?????

jfh
September 27, 2007, 01:36 PM
but I'm paying my gunsmith to tweak various semi-autos' extracters so I can find that brass easier....

Jim H.

target1911
September 27, 2007, 09:37 PM
Hmmmm..... I wonder......I have a VERY intelegent dog....I am willing to bet that I can teach her to hound my brass. I think I will get started on that this weekend. Less work for me and more treats for her......OH yeah...and more free BRASS

FLORIDA KEVIN
September 27, 2007, 10:07 PM
Better teach that pup to let it cool first!:D

Really I just ordered a set of 357 dies from Natchez !! so now I have to get magnum small pistol primers and order some 357 bullets from Master Blaster !Oh and i don,t have any empty 357 cases so i guess i better go to the range and shoot up the 200 rounds I bought at the gun show last weekend !!Oh and a buddy of mine is gonna try to find me some 454 brass at the gunshow in Ft. Myers this weekend ! boy Im saving money hand over fist !:banghead:

DAdams
September 27, 2007, 10:44 PM
I was thinking about getting into loading but after reading this I don't know.

This whole damn gun thing is a fast path to the poorhouse. I'm ordering the LnL by the end of the year. Must get the coupon for the 1000 free brass to Hornady by Jan 15th.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/HornadyLnL.gif

I think I may fit right in. My wife always told me I had an addictive personality. I'll be proving her right again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/P4050022.jpg
Proposed room for setup. I have some nice new 1/4 inch Starboard just waiting to be put to good us.

Yep. I'm screwed. :evil:

Noxx
September 27, 2007, 11:00 PM
Forgive me fellow reloaders, for I have sinned.... I burned up about 100 rounds of 9mm at the range today, it was hot, I was tired and.... I....

I didn't pick up any of my brass. I'm so ashamed.

joneb
September 27, 2007, 11:59 PM
Oh, those were yours ? thanks :evil: I forgive you :D

FLORIDA KEVIN
September 28, 2007, 06:07 PM
i wish someone would make a casull pistol that ejects the empties about 25 ft ! so i could suck up some free breass !!:banghead:

silverlance
September 28, 2007, 09:48 PM
dadams, dont forget proper ventilation in that room!!

zxcvbob
September 29, 2007, 07:17 PM
This whole damn gun thing is a fast path to the poorhouse. I'm ordering the LnL by the end of the year. Must get the coupon for the 1000 free brass to Hornady by Jan 15th.

I ordered one yesterday. Had a $100 Cabelas promotion and two $20 coupons, all about to expire. I used one of the coupons to buy the press and a pound of Blue Dot (which then activated the $100 gift certificate), and I'll use the $100 certificate and the other $20 coupon to order shellholder plates and some plated pistol bullets.

The 1000 free bullets from Hornady is probably a lifetime supply for me because I cast most of my own pistol bullets.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading saves money, and other boldfaced lies..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!