knife 0 tolerance change - POSTER ADDED!

PDA

hso
January 9, 2003, 11:59 AM
http://knoxnews.com/kns/politics/article/0,1406,KNS_356_1660894,00.html

Knoxville/Knox County School Board is preparing to drop the manditory expulsion requirement for knives. They are preparing to change to a length limit and conditions under which the knife was carried to school criteria.

The vote will be in March so how do we support such rational thinking so that the change comes about?

If you enjoyed reading about "knife 0 tolerance change - POSTER ADDED!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chris Rhines
January 9, 2003, 12:15 PM
An unexpected brightener for my day. Thanks.

- Chris

Marko Kloos
January 9, 2003, 01:22 PM
The return of a modicum of common sense, perhaps? It would be a nice thing.

bogie
January 9, 2003, 01:24 PM
Get a few parents going to the meetings, wearing t-shirts printed with "Parents for Common Sense" or somesuch.

Betty
January 9, 2003, 01:27 PM
Maybe I can get Oleg to do a quick poster of a lunchbox with a butter knife in it - "Should kids be expelled for carrying eating utensils?" Or something like that.

Tamara
January 9, 2003, 01:44 PM
*firing up 345-hp fuel-injected Smith-Corona...*

4570Rick
January 9, 2003, 03:08 PM
It was just buried under all that political correctness.;)

Tamara, You do wear your seat belt when sitting at your Smith-Corona don't you?:what:

MMcCall
January 9, 2003, 03:19 PM
Maybe I can get Oleg to do a quick poster of a lunchbox with a butter knife in it - "Should kids be expelled for carrying eating utensils?" Or something like that.

It's a good thought, but thinking back on some of the kids I went to school with, I'd stick with plastic utensils, thanks.

Why is there no 'quote' button?

blades67
January 9, 2003, 03:21 PM
The vote will be in March so how do we support such rational thinking so that the change comes about?

Make sure you vote!

Betty
January 9, 2003, 10:10 PM
Will this poster do?

photography by Oleg Volk
graphics by Runt

http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/ZERO_TOLERANCE.jpg

HIGH RES TIFF FOR 8 1/2 x 11 PAGE (http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/ZERO_TOLERANCE.tif)

PDF VERSION (http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/zerotolerance.pdf)

sm
January 10, 2003, 04:30 AM
That is by far the best common sense poster I've ever seen. Period.

Black and white and the message is succinct- yet powerful.

I wish that could be made into a Billboard.

WonderNine
January 10, 2003, 04:47 AM
Why is carrying two 9mm's and a 6.5" dagger considered criminal nowadays. I guess the local tyrannical government leaves me to the mercy of my enemies. Look what we've stooped to. Is it any wonder that I have no respect for this law?

Matt G
January 10, 2003, 05:32 AM
I am constantly amazed by school districts that will enforce zero-tolerance policies on the same teenagers that they will allow to drive 2-ton high-horsepower vehicles onto school grounds.

Wouldn't it be nice if Knox County were setting a nationwide trend? :)

WonderNine
January 10, 2003, 05:45 AM
It's because guns are a more efficient self defense weapon than two ton bulzers even though they are less destructive. No other contempation is necessary. Guns are a self defense weapon and therefore must be restricted.

Marko Kloos
January 10, 2003, 08:29 AM
Guns are a self defense weapon and therefore must be restricted.

Non-sequitur.

What's the logic behind that argument? ARe you saying that one would never have a reason for self-defense on school grounds?

Whenever you "restrict" something, the only people you restrict are the ones you don't have to worry about: the law-abiding segment of the population. Restricting self-defense tools by law only shifts the balance of power towards the lawbreakers. This holds doubly true for federally mandated "victim disarmament zones" like schools. The only times I was ever assaulted when I was young has been on school grounds.

Surely there have been no incidents of school shootings since they implemented all those "zero tolerance" policies, right?

Tamara
January 10, 2003, 08:33 AM
'bulzer'? 'contempation'? :confused:

hso
January 10, 2003, 09:21 AM
Thanks Runt, and tell Oleg I'll be e-mailing it to the BOE.

Joe Demko
January 10, 2003, 09:21 AM
bulzer- from the Old High German- originally a term used to describe obese, bad-tempered women, especially mothers-in-law; as in "That Helga! How can Heinrich stand living with that bulzer!" Later, it was applied by Landsknecht to various artillery and other siege engines. In modern times, it is usually used to refer to motor vehicles, especially those using engines of 4 or more cylinders as in "My Trabi sux. I'm going to save enough euros to get myself a big ol' bulzer of a BMW."

Contempation- Appalachian variant of constipation, as in "Hey Maw, we gots any of that there minral earl left? I gots contempation so bad I is like to bust."

If you enjoyed reading about "knife 0 tolerance change - POSTER ADDED!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!