Mentos

PDA

Top_Notch
July 9, 2003, 04:01 PM
Have you guys seen this? Comments?

Just plain weird if you ask me.

http://clanid.gamedaemons.net/

If you enjoyed reading about "Mentos" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
July 9, 2003, 04:46 PM
:confused:

ojibweindian
July 9, 2003, 04:59 PM
:confused:

That's supposed to be funny?

bogie
July 9, 2003, 05:09 PM
I prefer necco wafers (if I can find 'em) - they're a nice size, and if you hit them, they break real good.

CWL
July 9, 2003, 05:20 PM
Dudes,
it is a spoof. That's all it is.

George Hill
July 9, 2003, 05:42 PM
AR-15 owner sitting on the floor playing Pokemon?

Figures.
http://www.madogre.com/images/laugh.gif

David Park
July 9, 2003, 05:57 PM
I see he keeps his AR-15 in its original styrofoam packaging. :rolleyes:

Andrew Wyatt
July 9, 2003, 06:17 PM
i'm reasonably certain that was an airsoft ar-15.

I mean, besides the whole "you're not supposed to shoot someone who's doing you a favor" thing, i thought it was kinda funny.

cool45auto
July 9, 2003, 10:35 PM
:rolleyes:

Alan Smithiee
July 9, 2003, 11:41 PM
I think Mentos would have something to say about that....

looks like some kinda of gamer site.

blue86buick
July 10, 2003, 12:37 AM
I know it's wrong in so many ways...but as a spoof, taken with a shaker of salt, i found it hilarious. JMHO.

El Rojo
July 10, 2003, 12:49 AM
I laughed. A great spoof of the Mentos comercials. Maybe they were in Texas anyway and defending your property with lethal force is supposed to be okay anyway.

CGofMP
July 10, 2003, 01:06 AM
Okay.. I admit it...
I LOVED this stupid thing! :-D

I TRULY love parody.. have every Wierd Al album ever made.... The whole Mentos ad is just that good parody.... it is just silly as heck, nicely edited, and well timed.... "Fullll of liiiiifeee.... BANG!"

I know I know I should be APPAULED as a gunowner on about 100 safety and moral issues but its a SPOOF...

Thanks for posting this ... it was a kick.

Charles

RustyHammer
July 10, 2003, 11:29 AM
CWL is right, it's a spoof. I'm from the "Saturday Night Live" Generation .. I liked it. Nothing to get ones skivies in a twist over .. sort of funny, actually, when you pick it apart like some have.

Rusty

Sunray
July 10, 2003, 03:11 PM
It's not terribly funny and shows firearm owners as whackos that will reach for a firearm for any small problem. Especially as it depicts these young bucks reaching for a gun to solve a simple issue. The NRA and every other firearm owner's assoc should be on the phone to the makers of this candy complaining about this ad.

genie
July 10, 2003, 03:58 PM
i want some mentos now. i love them wonderful chewy mints...

Double Maduro
July 10, 2003, 04:03 PM
This is a post I made on "The Ruger Forum" about this.

The "merit" of this is that the "anti's" will see it and use it. Even worse is that the fence sitters will see it and it may turn them against guns.

Probably the worst of all is that it is saying to kids that it is acceptable to shoot your friend in the back if he steals your box of cookies.

There are several things wrong with this, some are.

1. It shows kids gambling
2. It shows kids stealing
3. It shows kids with unsupervised access to a firearm, even worse it is an "assault" type weapon
4. It implies that it is ok to use a gun to keep someone from stealing a box of cookies
5. It implies that it is ok to use a gun to settle petty grievances
6. I won't even get into the many violations of the 4 basic rules.

This is not funny.

I agree that it was probably made by some kids for fun but once it is out on the "net" it is there for anyone to see.

Those of you who think this is funny, imagine this.

What if the Mento's angle was removed and it merely showed one kid shooting another in the back for stealing a box of cookies?

Would it be funny then? Probably not.

Oh and I wonder what our Asian members think about this depiction of Asian youth.

No, this is not funny at all.

DM

genie
July 10, 2003, 04:21 PM
this genie is asian, and i have no problems with the fact that the 2 kids were of asian ethnic background instead of white, black, red, purple - although if kids were purple...that would give me concern.

the kid could have used a bow and arrow 200 years ago for the same parody about tea drinking. it just showed the absurdity of the basic plot of the mentos commercials. sucking on a mentos will not allow you to do miraculous things with city parking or whatever the other commercials did.

if we poke around the net some, there are much much more offensive parodies that are produced by teenagers...

i still want some mentos now.

gbelleh
July 10, 2003, 04:25 PM
I doubt this one silly little piece of video would:

1. Sway antis or fence-sitters.
2. Influence kids any more than the thousands of violent images they're exposed to everyday anyway.

It wouldn't be funny if it was crudely done, but what makes it funny is that it captures the ridiculousness of those stupid Mentos commercials perfectly!

It's fantasy... just like anything else you'd see on TV or in movies. :)

rock jock
July 10, 2003, 04:32 PM
That was hilarious.

Andrew Wyatt
July 10, 2003, 04:41 PM
okay, number1, it's not gambling. they're playing pokemon, which is a non gambling collectable card game. 2. the box is not a box of cookies, it's a box of pokemon cards, which is worth 50-75 dollars or so.

it was also an airsoft gun, which is not real, and IIRC, the kid kept his finger off the trigger until he was ready to fire.

Double Maduro
July 10, 2003, 05:28 PM
Yes I know it is a parody and is meant to be fun. But we are the same group that gets bent out of shape if the media say clip instead of magazine, or some such. I don't think it is funny, I actually find it kind of insulting.

Andrew Wyatt,

OK so it is fine to shoot someone for 50-75 buck worth of pokemon cards.

You can't see the kid's trigger finger for most of the time he is holding the rifle, so we don't know he kept his finger off of it.

I didn't know that you could tell by looking that it was an airsoft.

Gee, I guess I didn't realise how noisy those airsoft guns are.

By the way, what does "IIRC" stand for anyway?

gbelleh,

I don't know if it would sway anyone but why take the chance. And why give children one more referrence to violence being OK?

DM

blue86buick
July 10, 2003, 05:44 PM
You can't see the kid's trigger finger for most of the time he is holding the rifle, so we don't know he kept his finger off of it.
when you first see him pick up the rifle, then turn to exit the garage, you can see his finger stuck straight out. watch it again.

Also, when he pulls the charging handle, it doesn't come back very far. Either it's not supposed to (airsoft), or he's just doing it for show. Either way, unless it was real, with a round already chambered (not likely), it ain't gonna do shiznit. Or maybe, he was checking to make sure there WASN'T a round chambered! eh, eh? think about it! :evil:

Kevlarman
July 10, 2003, 06:28 PM
That, and it happens to be stored in the styrofoam box that most airsofts come shipped in.

El Rojo
July 10, 2003, 07:55 PM
All I know is that children should not be trusted with video cameras. These video cameras only encourage creativity and group cohesion. The nerve of those youth taking the time to do something creative and productive with their day other than watch TV or play video games. The idea that they are using an Airsoft gun to mimick shooting someone in real life. The worst thing of all is that we have lost the battle to preserve the 2nd Amendment. This video will no doubt be used by the anti-gun movement to show exactly why all airsoft guns and any gun that looks like an airsoft gun should be banned. Being a fence sitter myself, I am going to melt all of my firearms down so they can never ever be used in a motion picture parody. This movie was the last straw! It was not funny, it was not amuzing, it was the staw that broke the camels back in the war to save our 2nd Amendment rights. [/sarcasm]

Some people need to relax. Let kids be kids. If they are enjoying themselves and staying out of trouble, why knock it? Most people are capable of distinguishing between entertainment and reality. According to some members here, they have no ability to do so, and shame on anyone who does not take life seriously at all times. Relax. If it wasn't your humor fine. Let it go.

And why give children one more referrence to violence being OK? Violence is ok. If someone is endangering your life, violence is ok. If someone tries to kill my children, I am going to teach them how to use overwhelming force to stop that attack. If someone steals your pokemon cards, call the cops. There is a difference. Kids are capable of knowing the difference between reality and entertainment, they know when it is ok to use violene and when not to. Those kids that don't know the difference usually have poor parent-child relationships and they are the ones that shoot up a school. I grew up all around guns, I knew right from wrong. When I was 17, we made a fun movie during the summer about an undercover cop shooting drug dealers. It was wacky, it was violent, and prior to this video, the anti-gun movement didn't sieze upon it and ban all firearms. Most importantly, I took pride in that video and it was a sense of acomplishment and a whole lot of fun. Now I carry a gun all the time. I know the difference between reality and entertainment. Kids do too.

Skunkabilly
July 10, 2003, 08:48 PM
h and I wonder what our Asian members think about this depiction of Asian youth.

I thought it was hilarious.

Double Maduro
July 10, 2003, 09:12 PM
Skunk,

Yeah, but you are disturbed.

LOL

Politically Incorrect
July 10, 2003, 09:54 PM
I keep playing it over and over. It's a great parody.

I grew up on Dirty Harry, but that didn't mean that I took my dad's Model 29 around shooting people. I played "war" with my friends. When I was nine, I wanted a .44 Automag like Inspector Callahan carried in Sudden Impact.

And with all the violence I grew up with, I am still a responsible gun owner.

Skunkabilly
July 10, 2003, 10:17 PM
Yeah, but you are disturbed.
Who, me? ;)

Nightfall
July 11, 2003, 01:44 AM
I thought it was pretty darn funny myself. :)

Phyphor
July 11, 2003, 04:50 AM
...also, when he scoops up the AR, did anyone else notice what that was in the box to the left of the AR? Looked like a MP-5 to me, I'll have to freeze--frame it...

blue86buick
July 11, 2003, 09:13 AM
heh, me too. and yes, i noticed that too...freeze framed it and couldn't see much either. i was thinking it was an MP5 as well.

samwise
July 11, 2003, 11:26 AM
I wish I would have been that creative when I was a kid. Great spoof, mabye Mentos should consider hiring those guys to write their ads.

RustyHammer
July 11, 2003, 11:49 AM
Same people who are complaining about this buy their kids toy guns and think nothing of them "shooting" each other with them. So what's the difference between this and kids playing "Army"?

This wasn't made for television .. it is a gamer's website.

Shows creativity and a degree of talent to pull it off so well.

The fact that people are talking about it shows that it served the purpose .. it got them noticed!

Better that than writing another computer virus.

Just my rambling thoughts ..

Rusty

hksw
July 11, 2003, 12:16 PM
The first time I saw it (on another board) I had the sound off. I noted the Mentos and figured it had the jingle (or a facsimilie of it) in it but continued to the end without sound. First impression was not liking it due to the poor portrayal of firearms and gun handling.

Ran through it again with the sound on, surprised that it was the actual theme (figuring Mentos will be on the film makers like a ton a bricks), and actually liked it and it made me laugh. I think for me, it is because I disliked those goofy Mentos commercials. (As a side note, despite looking European, those Mentos commercials are actually made here in the US, mostly in FL, IIRC.)

Brian Maffei
July 11, 2003, 01:47 PM
Nice spoof.

Sean Smith
July 11, 2003, 02:14 PM
If you have ever seen those '****-o-vision Mentos commercials, the spoof video with guns is funny as hell.

MicroBalrog
August 6, 2003, 09:22 AM
This is not funny at all.

It is hilarious.:D

Zedicus
August 6, 2003, 09:26 AM
...also, when he scoops up the AR, did anyone else notice what that was in the box to the left of the AR? Looked like a MP-5 to me, I'll have to freeze--frame it...

It was a Tokyo Marui M16 with a add on scope, Airsoft guys, not real.
and the othe box did look like a Airsoft MP5...

ShaiVong
August 6, 2003, 09:27 AM
Hahahahahah!

Mute
August 6, 2003, 12:25 PM
and I wonder what our Asian members think about this depiction of Asian youth.

Since that video was clearly a satire, I don't feel one way or another about it. It did make me chuckle. I'd be much more concern with videos or movies that try to be "real life" and show asian kids going with that idiotic urban gangsta rappa culture crap that passes as cool these days.

Combat-wombat
August 6, 2003, 04:32 PM
See, I was criticised for laughing at that on a dupe thread. It's not serious, it's just a parody. I know shooting someone isn't funny, but this is just a parody, and it's meant to be funny.

Combat-wombat
August 6, 2003, 04:32 PM

5ptdeerhunter
August 6, 2003, 05:45 PM
I admit I think it was funny.

Dr.Rob
August 6, 2003, 06:26 PM
Bet you nay sayers didn't laugh at 'samurai delicatessen' either.

This looks like i-film material.

Gun related? Tangentially. But only if gun owners can laugh at themsleves.

ShaiVong
August 6, 2003, 06:30 PM
Bet you nay sayers didn't laugh at 'samurai delicatessen' either

Huh? Now I want to see that! I'll laugh at just about anything.

Sean Smith
August 6, 2003, 07:41 PM
'Samurai Delicatessen' = Old Saturday Night Live skit with Belushi.

http://www.bbring.com/pics/sd/sd9.jpg

http://www.bbring.com/pics/sd/sd4.jpg

:evil:

Combat-wombat
August 7, 2003, 04:04 AM
http://www.mentos.com/mentossite/
Go to the "media" section, and watch the "Beauty Mask" commercial. Doesn't the mom look a lot like Sarah Brady?

Dilettante
August 7, 2003, 04:43 AM
Oddly enough, this just came out the other day, and now I see the spoof on THR.
Coincidence? Only to the gullible.

http://www.beggingtodiffer.com/archives/2003_08.html#000314
(found on Instapundit)

By the way, I actually liked the Mentos commercials, and the spoof made me laugh out loud. (I don't really know why though.)

geekWithA.45
August 7, 2003, 08:24 PM
For the record, the spouse and I agree: This spoof is hilarious.

And actually, nothing would undermine the credibility of the antis more than to use this spoof as evidence of bloodthirstyness, because it would supply us with (additional) evidence of anti cluelessness.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mentos" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!