Which Night Sights and why

PDA

CZ223
September 23, 2007, 10:53 AM
I now have 3 Glock compacts and two of them wear Trijicon night sights. The other has the factory Glock sight which I dont like anyway and it is not a night sight. I have decided that I must remedy this situation by getting a set of night sights for the other gun. Right now it is the one I use the least because of its lack of night sights. I like the Trijicons but I think I would prefer the front sight to be a different color than the rear dots. This would make missalignment a whole lot less likely. I have looked at the XS sights but I don't think I want to spend quite that much and they would be different from the other two guns. Mepro light offers different color combos and are not that expensive. Do you guys have these and like them. Are there other brands I should consider. The other drawback to the trijicons is that they don't show up very well in bright sunlight. Does anyoneon offer a Dayglow/tritium combo?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Night Sights and why" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hauptmann
September 23, 2007, 11:08 AM
Trijicons are the best. They may cost a little more, but they have the best track record of any of the other night sight brands. I can take 20 year old Sigs out of my agency armory and the original Trijicons on them are still glowing enough for use. The Mepros are probably second in line, but most of the Mepros I've seen are only usable for about 10 years. Then again, as you stated the Mepros are a little better for day time shooting with their large white sclera. However, over 80% of handgun shootings take place in very low light conditions.

Get a soapy tooth brush and scrub your Trijicons a little, that will whiten them up a bit for day shooting.

The Lone Haranguer
September 23, 2007, 11:48 AM
I like the Trijicons but I think I would prefer the front sight to be a different color than the rear dots.
You can get night sights with yellow or red (and possibly other colors) rear dots. All front night sights I am aware of are green, this being the easiest color for the human eye to see at night.

Does anyoneon offer a Dayglow/tritium combo?

I believe TruGlo makes at least a front sight like this. I rather like this idea. The fiber optic should be able to pick up some light from, e.g., the backwash from streetlights, if it is not dark enough for the night sights to show up and contrast.

NCHornet
September 23, 2007, 11:49 AM
Google "PT Sights" I really think I will try them the next time I need a set of night sights. I really want to see the blue and orange colors and see if there are really as bright as they say they are.

gandog56
September 23, 2007, 12:14 PM
Meprolights..because you can buy adjustable ones?

Ala Dan
September 23, 2007, 01:59 PM
Tru-Glo TFO's ;)

The brightest night sight's out there.

Clipper
September 23, 2007, 02:05 PM
XS Sight Systems (formerly AO sights) 'Big Dot' is the fastest, most accurate combat sights I have ever used. Had a set on a Kimber Ultra Carry and loved 'em. I see they make a set for the Kel-Tec P-11. I'll have to find out if they'll work on my PF-9.

Creature
September 23, 2007, 02:31 PM
I have looked at the XS sights but I don't think I want to spend quite that much and they would be different from the other two guns.

Reconsider. Seriously. I have always been a three-dot night sight guy. I installed XS night sights ("standard dot" though...not the "big dot") on my P226 about a year ago and I am now a devout XS devotee.

usp9
September 23, 2007, 03:00 PM
I've had Trijicon and I've had Mepro Tru-glo. The Mepros were much brighter than the Trijicon, which were a disappointment.

Torghn
September 23, 2007, 04:04 PM
I prefer a laser. :D

sevesteen
September 23, 2007, 05:07 PM
I've got TFO Tritium Fiber Optic sights on my XD subcompact. Bright under almost all lighting conditions--Exception some bright indoor areas where most of the light is coming from the sides rather than overhead. They reduce the sight radius a bit, so if you are target shooting with a 3" barrel, they won't help. The decrease in accuracy is more than compensated for by the acquisition speed of the bright, bright sight picture in the type of shooting they are designed for.

10-Ring
September 24, 2007, 01:12 AM
I prefer the Trijicons. I've owned 4 sets & they've all been very good performser! ;)

RyanM
September 24, 2007, 01:29 AM
Definitely Truglo TFOs. In almost any light, they look nearly the same. A green dot and 2 yellow ones. Or all green if you get standard color.

David S
September 24, 2007, 09:54 PM
heres soemthing i never hear anyone mention....

everyone always wants BRIGHT night sights
but bright sites at night will ruin your night vision and can distract you from the target.
I have novaks on my 1911s and trijicons on my walthers and both are visible in dim light, but also gentle enough on the eyes not to blind you

Clipper
September 24, 2007, 10:19 PM
Hey Creature, I just called XS to find out about PF-9 sights, and the guy told me they just came out with Big Dots for the AK! I'm there, dude!

aaronrkelly
September 25, 2007, 03:48 AM
NCHornet said:
Google "PT Sights" I really think I will try them the next time I need a set of night sights. I really want to see the blue and orange colors and see if there are really as bright as they say they are.

I have a set of PT Sights on my Kimber.....green front sight, red rear sights. To sum them up.......they suck.

These were new in 2006. My Glock wears Trijicons from 2003. The PT sights are very, very dim compared to the Trijicons....and Im comparing the green front PT sight to the Trijicons. The red rear is even dimmer....about as bright as the original night sights on my Smith and Wesson 6906 made in 1989.

I do NOT recommend them.

In fact, I dont recommend the different colors.....if you think your going to have alignment issues just put a green front night sight on and leave the back sight plain.

gandog56
September 25, 2007, 08:08 AM
I prefer a laser.

Ah, but my Sig has BOTH!

Gary G23
September 25, 2007, 08:12 AM
I like Meprolight best for hard use but am experimenting with Truglo TFO's on my XD. Not sure how well they will hold up yet.

sm
September 25, 2007, 12:19 PM
Gold Beads.

Long history of being proven in real world applications.
Useful in all lighting situations.
Tough.
Don't dim out.
Easy to maintain.

RyanM
September 25, 2007, 01:29 PM
everyone always wants BRIGHT night sights
but bright sites at night will ruin your night vision and can distract you from the target.
I have novaks on my 1911s and trijicons on my walthers and both are visible in dim light, but also gentle enough on the eyes not to blind you

Uh... I'm guessing those Novaks are the only night sights you've ever seen. Night sights that are bright enough to affect your night vision would also be radioactive enough to give you cancer.

CWL
September 25, 2007, 01:37 PM

I have 3 sets, 2 on HKs and 1 on a 1911, they've all gone dim.

My 2 sets of Meprosites are still incredibly bright.

CWL
September 25, 2007, 01:40 PM
doubletapped

Old Dog
September 25, 2007, 02:15 PM
I've gotta say that, in my own experience, I've not yet seen the night sights that are bright enough to "ruin my night vision and distract me from the target" ... and I have been required by my employment over the past many years to have night and low-light pistol quals on a regular basis ...

Gold beads? Can't see 'em in the pitch dark.

And I thought that Novak's incorporated Trijicons on their sights (at least some of my Springfield 1911s' sights say so) ...

I have mostly Trijicons, and I like 'em just fine, though the Meprolights on my Kimbers seem to have dots that are just a tad bigger and perhaps a smidge brighter.

Does anyoneon offer a Dayglow/tritium combo?As noted before, those would be the Tru-Glo TFOs, and they might be the best combination yet for all possible situations. And the XS sights are pretty functional, too.

I'd say: look around. Experiment. Whatever works best for you might not be someone else's favorite night sights. And everyone's vision varies, too, so we all have differing needs.

Ala Dan
September 25, 2007, 03:21 PM
Att; Old Dog My Friend-

Yes, the Tru-Glo TFO tritium sights glow brightly (and easily seen) during
daylight hours; but also do double duty as excellent night sights during the
hours of darkness~! :scrutiny:;):cool::D

Creature
September 25, 2007, 04:59 PM
Hey Creature, I just called XS to find out about PF-9 sights, and the guy told me they just came out with Big Dots for the AK! I'm there, dude!

Clipper, post pic when you get them!

Glockafella
September 27, 2007, 10:07 PM
OK for glocks...

I have broken 2 seperate Trijicon front night sights off my gun through riggerous training and use as a duty weapon.

Trijicon brightness scale = 9/10

I replaced them with Meprolight night sights...also broke a front sight off

Meprolight broghtness = 10/10 I loved how bright they are.

SO after runnig through 3 different front sights I decided to just stick with the glock night sights...They have never broken off and people say they are pretty tough...

Glock Brand brightness = 7/10 ugh...

So I just get the glock sights now...for 48 bucks they are good for about 5 years then turn a nasty yellowish hue.

MY 2 cents...

Flfiremedic
September 27, 2007, 10:28 PM
I really like the Trijicons, and strongly urge you to get different colored rear sights. And on a related note, our armorer got really mad when I kept calling them Captain Crunch sites since they glowed in the dark.

NCHornet
September 28, 2007, 06:50 AM
I have decided to go with the TruGlo TFO sights. I have done lots of research and I believe they are the best option for me. I will be installing these on a 11 year old G23. Everyone says how easy they are to install and you can do it yourself. Can someone who has done this please tell me how this is done. Do I use a drift and knock the old ones out or what? I really don't want to scratch my gun. The cheapest I have found is $85 unless somebody knows of any cheaper. Thanks for the help.

RyanM
September 28, 2007, 11:52 AM
For a Glock front sight, just pry it out with pliers. The rear sight can be knocked out with a punch, but it'll be ruined in the process. For installing the new sights, however, you will pretty much need a clamp-on sight installation tool (and don't forget the little wrench thing for the front sight; a standard hex wrench will be too wide). I managed to install my TFOs using a dremmeled standard hex wrench, a C-clamp, and a couple blocks of wood, but I am never trying that again. When I have to get a new pair, I'm definitely buying the correct tools.

Definitely do not attempt to use a hammer and punch to install the new sights. 1, they will not budge, even if you use a sledgehammer. 2, you'll mar the finish on the sights. 3, very hard impacts can break the tritium vials, which will ruin the sights.

Oh, when putting the front sight in, it's helpful to take a pencil or something and hold it against the side of the front sight blade, and line that up with the ejection port. That way you know it's perfectly even.

Anna's Dad
September 28, 2007, 01:36 PM
I prefer a laser.

And if you get a bright enough laser, you don't even need the gun! Must stop watching the Sci Fi channel... ;)

SevenMichael
September 28, 2007, 02:58 PM
Night sights that are bright enough to affect your night vision would also be radioactive enough to give you cancer. :eek:

Sorry, being a Nuclear Engineer and Health Physicist, I must respond.

Tritium has a maximum beta energy of 0.0186 MeV, which determines the range of travel and the depth of penetration.

The approximate MAXIMUM range in air is:

< 0.5 cm (or < 1/4 " ) :what:

http://www.oseh.umich.edu/TrainH3.pdf (if you want a reference)

So, unless you sight with your eyeball LESS THAN 1/4 " away from the tritium site, the radiation will NEVER REACH YOUR EYE ! :cuss:

Furthermore, if it does reach your eye it will penetrate very very little distance because the density of the eye is much greater (~ 775 times) than the density of air. For all purposes, when you consider the probability of cancer associated with the dose from tritium sites, it is essentially ZERO.... even if you held the sight 1/4" from your eye for 24 hours/day ! :fire:

That's why you don't have to have a radioactive material license to get your gun/sights ! :scrutiny:

PLEASE DON'T submit this kind of GARBAGE STATEMENT when you don't have any idea what you're talking about ! :banghead:

RyanM
September 28, 2007, 05:52 PM
Sheesh. Remind me to never say things like "this gun kicks like an angry mule" to Mr. Literal over here.

I can hear it now. "As an expert in mules, I can safely say that a mule kicks with 800 pounds of force, nowhere near the amount generated by .357 magnum 125 grain Remington SJHP! PLEASE DON'T submit this kind of GARBAGE STATEMENT when you don't have any idea what you're talking about!"

benEzra
September 28, 2007, 07:17 PM
For a Glock front sight, just pry it out with pliers
Actually, the front sight on my wife's Glock is held in by a tiny bolt that screws into the sight from the inside of the slide. Take the slide off, remove the barrel assembly, and look at the roof of the slide from the inside. There should be a little hex head bolt near the front; that's the bottom of the front sight. Get a tiny little socket or wrench (or a pair of very small pliers), unscrew it, and the sight will come off.

SevenMichael
September 28, 2007, 08:00 PM
Sheesh. Remind me to never say things like "this gun kicks like an angry mule" to Mr. Literal over here. :)

If you had used a similie such as the one in the above quote, instead of a statement representing "fact", I would not have bothered to comment.

The real problem is the significant misunderstanding/fear of radiation, and the incorrect references to cancer causation when radiation is thought to be involved.

I just hate to see myths perpetuated, and statements which are not based in fact, presented as factual.

I apologize for not responding in a more professional manner; I'm sure you weren't intentionally trying to misrepresent radiological issues or safety. :)

GunTech
September 28, 2007, 08:23 PM
Most of the night sights only vary by design and shape. It's my understanding that almost all vendors get their tritium capsules from the same company.

Also, bear in mind that tritium sights only have about a 10-12 year lifespan.

NCHornet
September 28, 2007, 08:23 PM
I realize how the front sight is held on and you are right it is a small 3/16" nut, but I would like more info pertaining to the rear.
Thanks
NCHornet

RobMoore
September 28, 2007, 08:24 PM
Trijicon may have a better overall reputation, but within the glock community, Mepros are the way to go.

PS: I seem to remember reading in a manual somewhere that it would take something along the lines of 10,000 or more tritium night sights in a 10'x10' room to exceed safe radiation levels.

glockgod
September 28, 2007, 08:34 PM
+1 on the factory equipment plastic Glock sights. That's the first thing I change on any Glock I get! I like Meprolight for nite sites.

RyanM
September 29, 2007, 12:11 AM
Oh, yeah, I forgot that some Glocks now come with steel front sights. Those have to be unscrewed, but the plastic ones, you just yank out with pliers. Mine was a plastic one.

skinewmexico
September 29, 2007, 12:44 AM
TFOs. Because 99.99% of my shooting is in the daylight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Night Sights and why" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!