Fear factor or Why do you carry a gun?

PDA

12-34hom
July 9, 2003, 09:16 PM
From particapating in several gun related boards over the last several years i have developed a overview of gun owners as they relate to internet sites devoted to those who enjoy owning and using all types of firearms.

Is the reason for the ownership of your personal firearms - Need vs. Want?

After viewing some of the threads like Post pics of "you and your guns" or other similiar threads i was amazed at the sheer amount of guns some here own!! [Tamaras collection comes to mind right off hand].

I have three pistols, 2 for duty, one a "house gun". One rifle [target & hunting] One shotgun for hunting.

I have read that there are those who are always armed where ever they might be, in thier own home, out in public etc...

What lead you to this type of mindset??? Are the chances of someone using deadly force on your person great?

Or is just the percieved threat enough for you?

Let me say, that i have NO problem with anyone carrying a concealed firearm, unless the are a convicted felon. I would hope that if you serious, you have a fair amount of training to go along with the responsibility of CCW. [ but that's just me].

I'm not asking anyone to justify owning any gun.

Until i started working as a peace officer, i never owned a pistol for self defense porposes. Although i've always been around guns, shotguns and rifles, for hunting.

Just interested in what others here have to say about this subject. I guess i'm lucky enough to live in an area where one can go about ones business in "relative" saftey.

How bout you?

12-34hom. Thanks for any replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fear factor or Why do you carry a gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oleg Volk
July 9, 2003, 09:31 PM
I am an American. It is typical of us to wear clothes for comfort and social propriety. Guns are part of the dress, same as pants, underwear and shirt. Security aspect determines the choice of the sidearm, but who I am determines the fact that I carry. I don't carry in the shower or in bed...but keep clothes and guns where I can find them in the dark.

HankB
July 9, 2003, 09:32 PM
Reason #1: Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Guns are a piece of safety equipment, protecting you constantly, pretty much like seatbelts, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, the circuit breakers in your house, etc. But you hope you'll never actually need to put one to use.

Reason #2: They're fun. Serious golfers have a lot of golf clubs, so serious shooters have a lot of guns.

sm
July 9, 2003, 09:43 PM
I'm a '55 model. Born in a time taught to be self-reliant. We didn't have 911.
We had good neighbors and watched over each other. Taught early, brought up to be aware of surroundings. Cold War, Civil Defense Drills, and all that. Same values and morals taught in public school -at that time.

I was also raised in and around a business that had always been security minded/at risk. I continued in that business in a more deeper faction.

Brought up around guns, always had a loaded handgun in my room since a s long as I can remember. Mom and dad kept another handgun in thiers.

It was no big to kill a rabid dog in the yard, a snake, or to go across the field to haindgun hunt for rabbits. No big deal for me to tote mine as kid on a family outing--picnic alongside a creek.

We had riots occur, I used that gun when the front door came crashing in.

"Assume nothing, trust nobody". "Bad things happen to good people". " Never start a fight, if in one-end it, whatever it takes". Be aware at all times--get in a bad way, you're supposd to be prepared always, so do what it takes to survive". Taught, drilled into my brain.

Child of the times and nature of business. Yes BG's wanted what I had access to. I had the keys and the safe(s) combo's. My family was a target too. I continue because as CR Sam put it" one never knows the where and when of their next encounter.

My responsibility is to myself.

FPrice
July 9, 2003, 09:54 PM
"I have read that there are those who are always armed where ever they might be, in thier own home, out in public etc..."

I say this not to be combative or insulting, but as a way to answer the question of why some people carry all of the time.

Can you without fail tell me (or anyone else for that matter) exactly where and when violence will/may be visited upon us? If we knew for certain when crime would occur, well then we could either avoid that situation OR go armed at that point. But since no one can predict when a criminal will confront them, you have to consider going armed at all times, otherwise you are gambling.

There is also the fact that the more you carry, the more familiar and comfortable you become with carrying and are more likely to do it properly and with the expertise necessary to carry safely.

As far as the relative safety of where I live, this is one of the safest towns in the Commonwealth. Yet a few years ago an older woman was mugged at an ATM some 300 yards from my house. And there have been a number of home B&Es along the border of our neighboring city with a much higher crime rate than ours. Oh and there are drugs all through this safe little town. With the attendant crime that goes with the drug traffic and trade.

I choose not to be a victim (again) so I carry as much as I can and do it legally and responsibly and encourage others to do the same.

My two cents (2.04 cents adjusted for inflation).

Spackler
July 9, 2003, 09:57 PM
Personal responsibility.

Chris Rhines
July 9, 2003, 10:00 PM
I enjoy it.

- Chris

spacemanspiff
July 9, 2003, 10:09 PM
carrying a gun gives me that inflated sense of power.

kidding, i carry because its the sensible thing to do.

cool45auto
July 9, 2003, 10:31 PM
l
l
l
l
V:p

Darrin
July 9, 2003, 10:55 PM
Well, I've always been a rifle person. Love to shoot long guns. Handguns never interested me until somewhere in the last 2 years. The only time I shot handguns as a kid was because someone else was shooting the rifle!

My job has me traveling all over Middle TN in my personal vehical. I don't want my car to break down anywhere that I have to walk for hours before seeing another person. Screw the bad guys, there's critters out there on hey BFE at night!

Then there's the McD's that was robbed twice in 3 weeks at gun point 3 miles from my house. Last one was about 2 weeks ago.

Several home invasions happening within 20 miles of my house. (Happening closer and closer every year to my "quiet town.")

Me, the 'city guy,' driving around very rural TN in my purple car has not been pleasent in every town. I guess I don't fit in with the locals in some places. Been run off/cussed/threatened/chased by black, white, hispanic, whatever because I stopped at the wrong gas station or passed his/her car when they were traveling 30mph in a 55mph zone or wore the wrong shirt. It doesn't always pay to be the 'little geek' of the family.

Call it paranoid, call it a right, I call it "preventative maintenance" of my person and property when I carry a gun. If I'm about to be hurt, I'm going to prevent it. That's good health maintenance to me.

Putting all that aside, I own guns because I'd be really bored at the gun range without them! "Excuse me, sir, hi, my name is Darrin. Could I shoot your gun?" :D

capnrik
July 9, 2003, 10:55 PM
People tend to operate more efficiently in areas of familiarity. An appliance repairman seldom incurs the type of expense that I did when my refrigerator acted up. I like firearms, and have owned and used them all my life. If someone were to harm my family in a situation that could have been altered by exercising our 2nd Amendment rights....I simply could not bear it.

Someone with no background in firearms might feel differently. I don't have the knowledge or even the desire to protect my family from another refrigerator failure....short of simply buying a new one, which I did....but I can, and have passed on knowledge and created desire in my wife and child to attain proficiency at arms, and thereby increase their control over their surroundings.

My house has never caught on fire. I assure you, however, the insurance is paid up.

techmike
July 9, 2003, 10:58 PM
Personal responsibility.

I agree. With me it is a matter of taking responsibility for my safety and the safety of my friends and loved ones. How can I expect anyone else to lay down their life to protect me or mine? Fear has nothing to do with it. Just as I go to work every day to provide for my family I also arm myself to provide for the thier defense. That's my duty and my responsibility.

There is a great quote from L. Neil Smith's Probability Broach that deals with why a person goes armed. I am too lazy at this late hour to look it up , but something like "I go armed not as a threat to those around me but to say to that I will defend you and yours like you were my own...If I come armed to your home take it as a sign of respect." Something like that. Good Book.

Mike

Sharpie1
July 9, 2003, 11:00 PM
... i carry because its the sensible thing to do.

...my sentiments exactly.

TD

amprecon
July 9, 2003, 11:12 PM
I in no way intend to be insulting, but I like to take thoughts and ideas on subjects to their most basic understandings.
For this question my answer is this, we as part of the animal kingdom were born without weapons, we are pretty fragile creatures. Our weapon is our mind. Unlike the other creatures of the animal kingdom we have no fangs, teeth, speed, claws, talons, camouflage, flight ability, or the ability to stay submerged for extended periods.
My point is this, we have created our defensive mechanism, and it is the gun. Would a lion leave his claws and fangs with the pride while it went for a walk because it didn't plan on attacking an antelope or fighting off hyenas that day? Nope. Would a eagle or hawk leave it's talons or sharp beak at the nest to take a leisurely flight because it didn't plan on getting bushwacked by another territorial bird or it didn't plan on grabbing a wounded rabbit? Nope. It's not even an option for these animals and as far as I'm concerned, it's not an option for me either.
I also do it in the face of the illegitimate anti-gun laws. It's my right as a living and breathing person to defend myself, forget those laws, they're created in the face of the 2nd amendment and it's wrong.

Standing Wolf
July 9, 2003, 11:15 PM
What lead you to this type of mindset??? Are the chances of someone using deadly force on your person great?

I live in an unusually safe part of America, and am part of the reason it's unusually safe. Over 5,000 others in my county and I have concealed firearms permits—and the criminals know it.

I've got flash lights, first aid kits, locks on all the windows, et cetera. I doubt I'll ever need my flash lights, but prudent caution is one of the marks of maturity, I've found.

I believe rights, like muscles and I.Q. points, benefit from regular, frequent exercise.

Walosi
July 9, 2003, 11:17 PM
I sort of grew into it. I shot my dads' .357 when the cartridge was 9 years old - I was born the year it was intoduced. Before that, a .22 rifle and a .410 single barrel. Much later, after just a couple of years in LE, I began to carry regularly, legally and (sometimes) otherwise. Now that I fit more of a "victim" profile" (bad legs, cane, and old) I carry full-time. I am like an ex-con about hospitals - they will have to kill me to get me back into one. So, here I am...too banged up to run fast, too old to heal fast, and too damned stubborn to just stand there and take it.

brookstexas
July 9, 2003, 11:36 PM
Life Insurance, Car Insurance, Fire Insurance.
Just call it additional "Life Insurance"
BT

St. Gunner
July 9, 2003, 11:42 PM
I have read that there are those who are always armed where ever they might be, in thier own home, out in public etc...

:D Got me pegged. :D

Actually what started me packing was when I was young and attending a rough school, the admin, did nothing to curb the violence or look out for us, so I did it on my own, way before it was legal. I noticed a change in mindset, I had been a pretty nasty hothead, I actually enjoyed a good fist fight, but the responsibility that came with my decision to strap on that gun, precluded me from having that hothead. I'm 28 been packing about 12 years now, in that time the gun has left the holster a couple times in defense, all coons and dogs. Today I do it simply because it has become habit, that and the fact I now have a wife and a 3year old to look after.

I also carry a rifle(s) and shotgun almost everywhere, but I live in Texas and I live in the country, and I work in ranch related work, so it is sorta like a tie for a bank executive.

Another reason I always keep it up, is the more of us who do it, the more mainstream and accepted it is bound to become. So today I strap it on about as much to further my civil rights as I do to protect my personal self. Shoot i'm a big ugly guy, the fella most street hoods cross the street cause they think I might steal their wallet, of most of the people I know I am least likely to be attacked.

I had a guy attempt to rob me one time, he made a grave mistake and whacked me with a wooden slat off a pallet, instead of shooting him when I turned and saw him about to hit me again, I decided to beat him soundly. I didn't figure a 130lb gang banger with a pallet slat was that much of a threat to a 260lb redneck farm worker who at the time was tossing 80lb bales of hay in a barn. I probably should have pitched a bale at him, but instead I kicked him in the nether regions, kneed him in the face when he doubled over, then busted his jaw when he popped back up with a big ol fist. Course the cops said I was justified in shooting, a board like that is a deadly weapon. Proving once again us gun nuts are blood thirsty mongrels bent on shooting someone legally. :rolleyes: That has been the only time in the last 12 years anyone has tried to do me bodily harm.

I also think the act of carrying makes me a better citizen, I am not scared to stop and render aid to someone with a flat, or ask someone with a breakdown if they need a hand. I know I am secure as long as I am armed. I assure you if I was not armed, I wouldn't stop most of the time.

Then I just do it, cause I like it, I like guns, and being without one I sorta feel lost and out of place.

I guess I started because of a real threat to my safety that was more than just the school turning a blind eye, and I continue today because I think it is the morally correct thing to do for all of society.

Abenaki
July 9, 2003, 11:45 PM
The next time you eat at a Mc Donalds, ask your self, what would you do if some scumbag walks in and starts shooting.

Thats why I carry

The same goes for around the house.

Abenaki

Sheslinger
July 9, 2003, 11:56 PM
It's insurance. I will carry wherever I can because if I ever need a gun but I decided for whatever reason not to carry that day, I will never forgive myself.

Sheslinger

SodaPop
July 10, 2003, 12:02 AM
I carry a gun because I got sick of being on the Philadelphia news for being a victim/witness of violent crimes TWICE.

2nd Amendment
July 10, 2003, 12:08 AM
Because I can.

OK, that's a flip answer but it is the truth. I have the right to defend myself and the common sense to use the best tool available.

JohnKSa
July 10, 2003, 12:44 AM
Well, the cops around my small town carry guns just the same as the cops in the big, big city in the next county do.

For the same reason, I figure it makes sense for me to carry a gun just like the folks in the big city do.

I'll give you a hint. The cops in my town don't carry guns cause they have to use them a lot and that's not why I carry one either.

I carry a spare--but not cause I have to use it a lot or because I fear having a flat.
I have car insurance but not because there's a high accident rate in my county nor is it because I'm afraid of car accidents.
I have my car serviced regularly but not because it's unreliable.
I have medical insurance, but I don't expect to have health problems.
I have homeowner insurance, but not because my home has been damaged a lot or and not because other homes close have been damaged--they haven't.
I have fire extinguishers, but as far as I know there haven't been any house fires close to here, and I've never had a fire in a house where I lived. And, it's not cause I'm afraid of fires--I'm not.

Are you getting the picture?

How about this.

I know the number of the local police, even though I've not had to call it since I moved here.
I remember the number "911" even though I've never had to call it even once.
I have a gun safe even though I don't have kids even though burglary around here is nearly non-existant.

Figured it out yet?

More hints...

I lock my car doors even though I've never had a car stolen.
I have a security system even though I've never had a break-in.
I have been trained in CPR even though none of my family members have heart problems.
I carry a keychain flashlight, but it's not any darker where I live than normal. I'm not afraid of the dark, so that's not the reason either.

Here it is spelled out very simply.

I try to be prepared.

Why?

1. Because where ever I go, I'm always there to help me.

2. Because no one else cares about me like I do.

3. Because I don't trust the idiots I rub elbows with every day to be able to do more than point and gasp when things go wrong.

4. Because when one loss can break you, you can't afford to gamble even if the odds are good.

only1asterisk
July 10, 2003, 01:06 AM
I carry because not all the felons I've pissed off over the years are still in prison and lots of them have friends on the outside.

I carry because it make me, my family, and my community safer.

I carry because it is my duty.

I carry because it is my right.

David

Drjones
July 10, 2003, 01:08 AM

Or is just the percieved threat enough for you?

Unfortunately, I do not have ESPN. Well, I do, but I do not have ESP.

Seriously: I do not have the luxury of choosing the time and place of my attack, if I am ever attacked. I do not know if and when it might happen.

It might be at 3pm on an idle tuesday, as happened to my grandmother, or it might be at 2am, as happened to an uncle of mine.

You just don't know.

Serious question for you: Do you only buckle your seatbelt when you think or feel that the odds are in your favor?

I think that sums it up.

Glamdring
July 10, 2003, 01:24 AM
If your interested, a poll I started on how often people carry
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29225

Why do I carry?

I don't ever want to be in a situation where I would later say "If only I had my CCW WITH ME I could have done something!"

At my current age (32) and physical condition (bench more than body wt in workouts, have been in various MA for 10+ years) I don't think I am very likely to use my CCW to defend myself. Unless I face multiple or armed attackers. Hard to meet "no lesser force" requirement.

But related to what another poster said about the more you carry, & use in practice, your CCW the safer and more competent you will be. I figure if I carry all the time now, by the time I NEED it for personal protection I should have 30+ years of carrying and shooting practice. Ought to give me an edge in skill.

I live in MN. We have winter here unlike the places where some of you live :rolleyes:

Couple of months ago at one of my jobs we had a meeting. The consultant, as ice breaking technique, asked everyone to list what was in their trunks.

My first thought, since I AM a wise acre, was to list everything that was in the trunk (he he).

Anyway for gun stuff I only mentioned my shooting box (tools, cleaning supplies, etc), my co workers know I shoot and the boss deer hunts, so I wasn't really giving anything away.

Almost everyone in the class had some winter survival stuff in the trunk, it is MN, but I had much more than everyone else (camp stove, sleeping bag, heavy duty military poncho, plus fluids and filters--I can probably get the car going again even if engine is drowned by water). Plus most of the non car stuff was in BOB pack so it was more portable.

I have never had to touch my BOB pack. But I know that I can live in fair comfort in or near my car for at least a couple of days. You never know if weather or whatever will prevent you from going home from work (I live in the country and couple of times last year floods washed out driveway and some of the roads around here).

I also have enough tools and knowledge to fix most things that can be fixed without parts (so far only fuel pump and timeing chain breaking have stopped me, well fuel pump I could have rigged something but not worth the fire risk when car insurance covers tow truck).

Life has taught me that the more comfortable (creature comforts & security blankets) I am in a crisis (winter storm, tornado, 9/11, etc) the calmer and more relaxed I will stay. Staying calm and relaxed allows much clearer thinking.
I guess carrying just fits in with the rest of my philosophy about life.
Which is Murphy hates me :D

Skunkabilly
July 10, 2003, 01:48 AM
Because I wanted to see if I could score one in Tacticalifornia :p

Not a Democrat and make less than $25,000 a year. :neener: :neener: :neener: you stinking socialists!!!!

Majic
July 10, 2003, 02:13 AM
I like others carry for insurance. The relatively safe neighborhoods are dwindling every day.
Think about why you have to carry as a LEO.

telewinz
July 10, 2003, 04:24 AM
It is very rare that I have ever heard a good tangible reason why someone felt the need for CCW. Several people carried large amounts of money, or were REQUIRED to frequent high crime areas. The over whelming majority who CCWed or would CCW if permitted, were motivated by a "show & tell" or a "cowboy" mentality. A great many have low self-esteem, they are neither mentally or physically "tough" and are using their firearm to support their unstable ego "Sam Colt make's me equal (or hopefully, better)". They often have unrealistic views about the World they live in and their own abilities. If you ask them to describe a potential situation in which they would use their CCW, the result often resembles a daydream. If the need ever did arise, in many cases these people would shoot without proper justification or would freeze-up no matter how severe the threat. A CCW can't instill good judgement, common sense, or a stable personality. The 2nd amendment is a right not an explanation or an excuse for poor judgement or motivation. Many will CCW for security from some remote/intangible bad guy threat but often not wear their seat belt when driving. IMHO CCW is a complex issue, it involves legal, political, AND mental health issues.

HBK
July 10, 2003, 05:11 AM
That sounds rather condescending, telewinz. I think everyone that is capable to carry should carry. You can't say that any particular place is safe. Some people are evil.

12-34hom
July 10, 2003, 06:51 AM
Excellent.

Thanks to all who replied and or still might.

12-34hom.

DWS1117
July 10, 2003, 09:04 AM
Reason #1: Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Guns are a piece of safety equipment, protecting you constantly, pretty much like seatbelts, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, the circuit breakers in your house, etc. But you hope you'll never actually need to put one to use.
Reason #2: They're fun. Serious golfers have a lot of golf clubs, so serious shooters have a lot of guns.
Ditto.

I'll add the for me the are relaxation and stress relief. While others read, play golf, or a multitude of other activities I put lead down range or reload more lead to go down range.

TarpleyG
July 10, 2003, 09:08 AM
unless the are a convicted felon
Convicted felons aren't allowed to protect themselves like the rest of us?

GT

stevelyn
July 10, 2003, 11:40 AM
I was raised and taught to be self-reliant. My safety and/or food gathering are my responsibility and my business, not the government's or anyone elses'.
I refuse to place my life into the hands of someone else who can't guarantee my safety and well being. I have nothing but contempt for those who have delegated that responsibility to someone else. I'm at the top of the food chain and intend to remain there.

RustyHammer
July 10, 2003, 11:50 AM
I can ... therefore I do.

DigitalWarrior
July 10, 2003, 12:41 PM
No, I don't have a CCW yet, but I will.

Any good businessman analyses things from a cost/benefit point-of-view.

Benefit
I might die if I do not have my weapon Statistically unlikely, but within the realm of possibility

Cost
I have to carry it and I have to act responsibly. I have to bring it with me, which is about as inconvenient as a wallet. I have to act responsibly, which is a good idea anyway

Analysis
I am willing to carry my weapon and act responsibly if it might save my life.

DigitalWarrior
July 10, 2003, 12:46 PM
Telewinz

I fit neither of YOUR acceptable reasons for carrying. Yet, I am rational. I guess it is a good thing that I am free to use MY judgement.:fire:

Mostly Harmless
July 10, 2003, 01:00 PM
I don't carry all the time -- cost benefit analysis of permits and their non-availability to people like me round here makes it mostly wiser to take the chance on being unarmed. Were I able to do so legally, I would. Not because I'm intending or anticipating trouble (it finds me when it wants me whether I look for it or not) but because when trouble finds me I want to be able to deal.

I carry a spare, tools, jumper cables, flashlight, blankets, fluids, in my cara at all times. It's been about 10 years since I last had to change a flat at the roadside, and about 3 months since I last used the jumper cables for a stranded coworker.

I keep candles, matches, hurricane lanterns and MREs in the house. Haven't had a power outage in about 3 years.

I have an extensive 1st aid kit (with a 13 yo in the house that's a necessity)

I'm CPR certified.

Not because I'm afraid of what might happen, but because I know what can happen and would rather be one of the people who can help when the SHTF than one of those who run around in headless chicken mode getting in the way. Way back when I worked ER for about a decade, I don't panic anymore.

To put it bluntly -- I'd be a lousy person to try a Scare Tactics type stunt on :evil:

J.

Carlos Cabeza
July 10, 2003, 01:13 PM
Fear has nothing to do with my decision to carry. I am well built, physically fit and modestly intelligent. I carry for the same reason I have auto insurance, fire extinguishers, spare tire, two pairs of shoes etc. etc.

P95Carry
July 10, 2003, 01:14 PM
Hard to comment this late in the thread, without being repetitious ... most has now been said. I will tho just add my own 2c.

As many have said ..... none of us knows from where or when a threat may occur ....... and I shall always hope that I never am presented by one. That said ... and altho I live in a pretty good area re crime etc ..... I do carry all but 24/7 ..... ''better to have and not need'' etc.

My wife used to mention at times when we went out (in earlier times) ... ''do you need that thing?'' :p I always answered .. ''not now I don't but ... I/we just might.'' I'll often think of what could be a classic scenario, even in a so called ''quiet area'' ...... and that is the convenience store or gas station hold up ...... not expected but ever possible.

This is IMO the essence of good CCW .... full time carry, regardless ..... a part of one's apparel. May the BG's remember that there are enough of us around to maybe make them think twice about getting clever. For me it is not paranoia ... in fact now and again I cuss the lump because it is at times a marginal incumbrance :) ..... but then I quickly realize that my reason for carry is my right for that ''last ditch'' call for self defence - of myself and/or my loved ones. It is somewhat of a duty.

I still treat it as an awesome responsibility .... complacency is to be avoided at all costs. The odds are I shall never need it ..... that is how I want things to stay but ..... I at least tho have the means at my disposal to stand a better chance of not becoming a victim. Along with that too, as we have discussed on other threads .. is a calmer and less easily aggravated psyche .... avoidance of trouble, and not seeking it.

I consider that I (and probably pretty much all CCW's) ..... am about the safest and most reliable guy to have around ..... nothing macho - and I ain't pretending to be a cop ......... just a regular guy, with survival as my excercized right....... maybe even makin the cop's work that bit safer too.

Bobarino
July 10, 2003, 01:51 PM
my reasons are pretty simple

1. becasue i can, so says amendment #2

2. i take responsibilty for myself. i do not rely on others to provide for my safety, or anything else for that matter.

3. to do my tiny little part to let those who would like to see disarmed subjects instead of armed citizen know that i/we will not go quietly into that goodnight.

4. a handgun is the most effective method of self defense i can think of. both in physical effect and psychological effect on the bad guys.

Bobby

JDSlack
July 10, 2003, 04:02 PM
1. As for owning firearms, it isn't "need" or "want". I enjoy the possession of well amde mechanical devices and tools. I my mind a well made revolver or semi auto pistol is one of the ultimate combinations of form, function and beauty.

2. As to carrying, again "need" and "want" are irrelevant. I am a free citizen of what is supposed to be a Republic (it has devolved into a Democracy, but that's a whole 'nother topic). As such I have the right to carry a means of self protection. I am responsible for my safety and preservation, and that of my family. I comply with Florida's laws not because I believe I need the State's approval to exercise my rights, but because, as a citizen I believe I have an obligation to conform to the laws of the society I choose to llive in. If the laws of my society atttempt to infringe on my natural rights, I will seek to change the law through the electoral process, or I will resist.

Liberty and freedom are not the same thing.

James Castilla
July 10, 2003, 04:34 PM
Logically: Lets say it is 2am and youre going to 7-11 for a pack of cigarettes. You figure, hey--I dont need my drivers license, its only 5 minutes away. On the way there, you get pulled over because your vehicle matches the description of one seen leaving the 7-11 after it got robbed earlier that night. When asked for your drivers license, what do you do?

One time I was out fishing with some friends, and I had left my pocket knife in the truck. A friend casts his line, but the hook gets caught in the back of my brothers neck. Nothing too nasty, but still...rowing back to the dock with him cursing an awful lot wasnt all that great, whereas we couldve removed the line and hook a heck of a lot easier if Id remembered to bring that dang knife...:banghead:

MeekandMild
July 10, 2003, 04:37 PM

I have always believed in the basic set of civil rights with which our Creator endowed us. Hunting, shooting sports, range friends, civic duty et cetera.

But I got a pistol permit when a woman in open court told us all she was going to kill me and the judge just like she had tried to kill her sister. That was some years ago when I worked as a zookeeper for a menagerie of two legged snakes; at one point I had nearly a dozen murderers and too many lesser criminal critters to count. This was in a city and a county where half the population firmly believed the other half owed them everything they owned because of what somebody's granddaddy did to sombody elses granddaddy.

Now that I've semi retired to a part of the country where I don't have to work in a human zoo, 55% of the population doesn't hate me because of the color of my suntan, the criminals are dealt with quickly and justly, there aren't hundreds of homeless mentally ill sleeping under all the bridges and there isn't an ice cream man driving through the neighborhood selling cocaine I find that I tend to not feel the need to carry 24-7.

But I still carry a good portion of the time because of the need to maintain the right, civic duty, public morale et cetera. Besides, it makes for good conversation at the barbershop when the conversation turns thataway.

Brat7748
July 10, 2003, 04:57 PM
Because we DON"T live in a police state. Only in a police state do the police have the resources and power to actually PREVENT some (not all) crimes. We live in a country where, thank goodness, the police can only solve crimes, and sort it all out after the fact. This is not knock against the police, just the way it is.

Because my home has been broken into.

Because we are at WAR with an enemy who considers every man, women and child a fair target.

Because shooting at the range is a fun past time.

dhoomonyou
July 10, 2003, 05:12 PM
Lots of people out there who have NO REGARD for human life.
I have been the victim of street crime and a pistol would have made a BIG difference in the outcome.
In my family I am the "chief cook and bottle washer", and head of security.
Average police response time is 8 minutes.

LiquidTension
July 10, 2003, 05:22 PM
I could go through a whole list of reasons why I carry, but most of them have already been spelled out in this thread (and many before it). I've been in a situation where I needed a gun and didn't have one. It isn't fun. It was so not fun, as a matter of fact, that I don't feel the need to go through another situation where I need a gun and don't have one. Next time I need a gun, it'll be snuggled against me, ready to bark and make the bad man go away. That said, it's not the main reason I carry, just one reason off of "the list." The number one reason?

Because I can.

Drjones
July 10, 2003, 05:24 PM
James:

Good to see you here! I thought you had left us.

Your story brings us to the next lesson:

You WILL need it (and sometimes need it MOST) when you do not have it, whatever "it" may be.

Monkeyleg
July 10, 2003, 05:26 PM
I've been assaulted while unarmed, and assaulted while armed (knife).

The outcome was much less damaging when I was armed.

10-Ring
July 10, 2003, 05:26 PM
First & foremost is because I can. Next comes for fun & then comes protection. I really enjoy shooting my guns & enjoy learning how to use them more effectively.

michiganfan
July 10, 2003, 05:32 PM
Because I don't want to run into a situation where I am the only one without a gun.

12 Volt Man
July 10, 2003, 06:04 PM
Like many young men here in Utah, I spent two years as a missionary for my church. I was sent to the Bay Area in the Rebublic of **********. Mostly in the Oakland and to the North in Richmond. This was back in 92 and 93. It was not uncommon to hear gunshots every night. I was usually in bad neighborhoods as I was assigned to a Laotian speaking mission. Most of the Laotians were recent immigrants and could not afford to live anywhere else.
One night we were out late changing the tires on a car for a widow lady who had 5 young kids. All of the tires had been slashed. I looked up just in time to see a slow moving car coming down the street with a guy leaning out the back window. I see a gun in his hand pointed sideways "gansta style". I tackled the other guy I was with as I dove behind the car. The guy pulled off 6 shots as I was doing this. The bullets hit all around us. Luckily due to the very accurate "gansta style" of aiming, along with a little help from above, we were unharmed.
I remember the first feeling I had was that I wished I had something to shoot back with. I felt defensless. I have always thought that next time, I will be prepared. When I returned back to Utah I picked up my CCW. From the time I was very young, my Dad taught me about guns and shooting for recreation, hunting etc.... He never had a CCW, but I don't feel bad about having one.
Just like the old Boy Scout Motto. I like to "Be Prepared". Not to mention, I have one hell of a good time keeping those shooting skills honed :D

MeekandMild
July 10, 2003, 09:51 PM
DigitalWarrior

There is a little bit more to cost benefit analysis than personal cost/benefit. There is the "herd immunity" factor. This is tougher to analyze except using population statistics techniques such as the one Lott uses in his research.

Let me give you an example, vaccination against Diptheria, Whooping Cough, and Tetanus.

Together these three diseases used to kill many thousands of children. Then vaccine was developed. Now we all make a decision whether we want to immunize our babies against them. Since a large number of us do so we trade off the risk of great plagues which might kill half the children in a town one year and none the next for a risk of maybe 1/10,000 we might kill our baby or 1/1,000 the child might have perminent health damage.

A few folk may decide its too risky for their baby and refuse it with no risk to themselves. This will work only if a certain number of us, about 80% if I recollect right, continue to agree to the vaccination. If the percentage comes down too much below the magic number then the diseases come back and kill half the kids who weren't vaccinated and about 10% of the ones who were.

Getting back to guns we have a great need to keep up the number of active CCW in the community because if that number falls (such as what happens in communities like DC and Chicago with large Welfare populations or Fascist countries like Uganda and Mexico) the danger to both CCW and non CCW alike greatly rises.

zxc
July 10, 2003, 10:12 PM
Before the invention of computers and internet,
Ive been carrying a weapon of some sort. A snub
38 dropped in the pocket that stuff..word came out
you need a license to do this stuff legally nowadays
so just like sitting here an responding to your
question-I guess just keeping up with the times,son.
No reason needed,just like underwear.

Edward429451
July 10, 2003, 10:34 PM
Sure for defense, recreation, keeps me polite and on my toes, but not driven by a fear factor even though the possibilities exist and carrying has even saved me & mine's bacon before. Who was it? Heinlein? Said "A reasonably cautious and prudent man will take himself armed into society." It's kind of like 'A Given' to me, to be armed. Like he said:

Because I don't want to run into a situation where I am the only one without a gun.

That goes for recreation and street both. Good line. Very succinct.

HeavyHaul
July 10, 2003, 10:46 PM
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Pretty much sums up why I carry/collect lots of stuff.

Bill

Byron Quick
July 10, 2003, 11:07 PM
I carry for self defense.

Having successfully defended myself against a deadly attack (When he realized I was drawing a handgun...my assailant halted his attack. I halted my defense.) The results of being unarmed on that day would have been brain damage at the best. I would not have liked that outcome. I have no means of predicting when such might happen again, therefore I carry whenever and wherever possible.

telewinz, I hope you do not carry.

brian0128
July 11, 2003, 12:59 AM
I could give a long drawn out answer, but to keep it short.......
bad things happen. I grew up in Baltimore and saw lots of bad things happen to good people....all the time. I don't want to be another statistic.

JohnKSa
July 11, 2003, 01:38 AM
telewinz,

The only good thing about elitists is that they think too much of themselves to hide their elitism so you can see/hear them coming.

As your comments so clearly demonstrate, at the heart of it, gun control is elitism.

Drjones
July 11, 2003, 02:04 AM
telewinz,

The only good thing about elitists is that they think too much of themselves to hide their elitism so you can see/hear them coming.

As your comments so clearly demonstrate, at the heart of it, gun control is elitism.

Not a flame, but I agree completely.

Jack19
July 11, 2003, 09:24 AM
I carry a weapon any time I'm out of the house. Mostly because I do good things to bad people professionally, and running into them at the grocery store while shopping with my wife (it's happened) isn't the place to find out whether they're holding a grudge.

On the other hand, I'd carry a weapon no matter what I did for a living. My life is my responsibility, and street cops have no duty to protect me.

Ryder
July 11, 2003, 02:59 PM
I own enough that I am considering a second safe. It's partly a good investment. I can always sell them for about what I bought them for. The other reason is that they are specialized. Some are for birds, some are for varmints, some for large game, some for targets, some for self defense and carry. You use an axe to chop down a tree, not a pocket knife.

I carry 24x7. Fear of others is not a factor in my decision to carry even though I've been in several life threatening situations in the past. It is a factor in my decision to limit the places I travel though. I just like guns and I don't see anything evil about myself being armed. Why shouldn't I use my property?

NeuTom72
July 11, 2003, 09:47 PM
I carry for several simple reasons...

1) Piss off the Liberals
2) Piss off the Liberals
3) Did I mention I carry to piss off the Liberals?
4) Gives me a good feeling knowing I won't allow some scumbag to hurt myself or my family.
5) Like we learned in Cub Scouts... a good scout is always prepared.

Tom
Minnesota

MolonLabe416
July 11, 2003, 11:39 PM
Individually, we do not bear arms because we are afraid. We bear arms as a declaration of capacity. An armed man can cope - either in the city or in the wilderness - and because he is armed, he is not afraid.

The hoplophobe fears and, yes, hates us, because we are not afraid. We are overwhelmingly "other" than he, and in a way that emphasizes his afflictions.

Jeff Cooper

Walosi
July 11, 2003, 11:47 PM
The good Colonel can use words more effectively than many men can use bullets. The quotation is a precise fit for this thread.

only1asterisk
July 12, 2003, 12:42 AM
MolonLabe416 well put!
Jack19, yep that about sums it up!

David

Diesle
July 12, 2003, 01:02 AM
Because I can.

Diesle

Byron Quick
July 12, 2003, 03:00 AM
I don't buy insurance due to fear but rather to an acknowledgement that risk and loss are a part of life.

It is the same acknowledgement that prompts me to carry daily.

Prudence is the motivation-not fear.

benewton
July 12, 2003, 04:40 AM
Once up, I dress, including pants, shoes, holster, weapon and ect.

Why would I not get dressed to face the day?

And just exactly how should I cope if I weren't?

I think all points have been covered, but I think it necessary to stress that the carriage of tools is a normal human trait, and that a weapon is just another tool, no more, no less. Thus the misplaced emphasis on CCW is a distraction:
who doesn't carry a jack knife?

Viking6
July 12, 2003, 06:16 AM
I'm curious and not trying to provoke but how do most folks on this board define an "elitist"? Because some folks here and on TFL have referred to the unarmed as sheeple, etc. Upon reflection some of what telewinz said is probably accurate; maybe not of the majority but I would think a significant portion of the CCW population. I saw some of those characteristics in some of the folks in the CCW courses I took in SC and here in VA. I don't CCW all the time because I work on a Fort and if I get caught coming through the gate with my weapon at the very least I lose my job. I agree with most posters that you can't pick the time of a confrontation unless you start it. If I could, I would carry all the time. Back in the 90's we were stationed at Bragg and were coming back from Charleston, SC up Hwy 17 to Myrtle Beach and then some other back roads for the scenic routes. It was dark and a car followed us pretty close for a while. Having the family with me and being one of the few times that I travelled with them like that without a gun, it made me extremely uncomfortable. I vowed never to do that again. A few months later, Michael Jordan's father was murdered not far from there.
Ultimately, it boils down to your right and that's generally good enough.

Sharpie1
July 12, 2003, 08:16 AM
I can't speak for everyone on the board, but I define an "elitist" as someone who believes themselves to be enlightened, and one of the "chosen few" who are not part of the "great unwashed" - that is, they believe they know something, and that about 99% of the rest of the population doesn't. They believe that the vast majority of the population needs to have their hands held throughout life, and needs to be taken care of, given helpful advice from those who are "in the know", and while they can't empathize with the common man, they can certainly sympathize.

Since these people believe that most people are generally going through life aimlessly and ignorant, guns are, of course, out of the question as far as being acceptable in society. They believe that freedom is a threat to the general order of things.

The epitome of such a person, in my opinion, is Peter Jennings.

When someone on this board refers to someone as "sheeple", they are noting that a good number of the population actually believes this themselves (about themselves), to their own detriment. But the big difference is, that an person who is not an elitist believes that they can overcome their blindness if they want to, but usually this only happens if the person in question has a close call of some sort - such as the police not getting to their house in time to take care of them. Only someone that isn't an elitist would believe that this sort of personal responsibility could and should be exercised.

TD

YodaVader
July 12, 2003, 10:03 AM
"

What lead you to this type of mindset??Are the chances of someone using deadly force on your person great?
? "

I have a carry permit but 99.999% never carry a handgun on my person. Why do I have one some may ask? For one thing I can buy a handgun on the spot at any shop or gun show with no call in or waiting period. The other IN permit was a hunting /target shooting permit which I thought was worthless. The carry permit allows me to have my guns in my car and I do not have to be in route to and from the range. I can be at the convenience store at 3AM with a trunk full of handguns and it is legal.

As far as fear of deadly force being used against me? If I actually feared being attacked to the point that I felt I needed a gun everywhere I went I would find a new place to live. Would have no fear of walking down any street in the town I live in at any time during the day or night.

Not to say that I disagree with those who carry all the time - for some the threat is very real! Back in my former town in NC I would see why someone would feel the need to be armed.

JohnBT
July 12, 2003, 05:13 PM
I've heard this story off and on for years, so here's a copy I picked up along the way:

In one of Richard Pryor's comedy concerts, he talks about filming the movie Stir Crazy. He says some of the scenes were shot in an actual prison. During a break in the shooting, he decided to talk to some of the prisoners. He thinks surely all these guys can't be crazy. That perhaps some fluke or miscarriage of justice has brought them to that awful place. He wanted to see for himself what was in the minds of the prisoners.

So, Richard Pryor asks an inmate, "Brother. Man, why did you kill everyone in the house?"

After a brief pause, the inmate replies, "They was home."

And...

I saw In Cold Blood 30 years ago. The film was based on Truman Capote's non-fiction book of the same name. It followed the exploits of some ex-cons who drive 400 miles and wipe out a prosperous Kansas farm family while looking for the safe full of money that was supposed to be there. Bad intel - the wheat farmer even paid for haircuts with checks.

"Alvin Dewey: "Who would kill four people in cold blood for a radio, a pair of binoculars and forty dollars in cash?"

Roy Church: "These days, just take your pick on any crowded street.""

JohnBT
July 12, 2003, 05:19 PM
Part II - I forgot. Carrying just sort of came naturally - I learned it from many of the men in my family. My father was even a State Trooper after he returned from the Pacific after WWII. He's 81 and still carries. Shoots pretty good, too.

I think the problem I have is that I don't understand why someone wouldn't carry a sidearm. I just don't get it.

Now, I don't wear a belt and suspenders, but I can understand why some would want a backup. :)

John

DrPsycho
July 13, 2003, 08:58 AM
Why carry? Too many close calls and potential life altering encounters in the years in Sydney, Australia. The country where self preservation is discouraged (having a utility tool is considered a crime worthy of imprisonment) and yet the police will pretty much refuse to do much if you're not of the upper class, and of white skin.

Also my religious beliefs of my role as a man to protect and provide.

TallPine
July 13, 2003, 10:37 AM
If I actually feared being attacked to the point that I felt I needed a gun everywhere I went I would find a new place to live. Would have no fear of walking down any street in the town I live in at any time during the day or night.

Nice image, but ever heard of prison escapes?

Fugitives can and do go anywhere and everywhere, looking for fun or means to survive. Many times they have nothing else to lose.

Yes, very rare, but it happens.

YodaVader
July 13, 2003, 11:08 AM
"Nice image, but ever heard of prison escapes?'

Well , myself I like shooting far more than anybody I know. But I don't feel the need to be armed everywhere I go - I suppose if I was that fearful of going out I would just stay home all the time with the doors locked up. If the prison escapee makes it here so be it - not enough reason for me to be armed. Now if the news announced that the escapees were in our county on the loose - that would make a little more sense to me. To carry a gun on myself everywhere I go would be a major inconvenience that I simply have no desire to put up with. If you carry legally that is your right - I have no problem with that. Like I said before - back in NC where I used to live ,carrying a gun would be a good idea. But to have the mentality that all gun owners should be armed at all times - to me, that is infringing on my rights.

Walosi
July 13, 2003, 11:46 AM
I also live in a small town with a low crime rate. Two-man police force. Most of the calls are for prowlerers, an occasional burglery. Most violent calls are domestic. Still, our little burg has its drug culture. They show up in other towns in the area, busted in a meth lab, indicted in shootings which started with drugs deals, etc. I feel safe here, but still carry. The druggies in the OTHER towns can come here, even if our own tend not to mess where they live. They are all mobile. They are always on the prowl for quick financing. Applying logic to the situation, and feeling safe based on the percentages, just won't wash. Mr. Murphy controls these circumstances and situations. With that part of our population wandering about with half-fried brains (which were fairly low powered to begin with) the only thing that applies is preparedness. Shooting has been my hobby and recreation for over 50 years. It has been for relaxation and sport. It has always had the capability of being used defensively, and I have absolutely no problem with staying "prepared" around the clock. It is not an intellectual exercise, and doesn't require thoughtful rationalization - just a natural extension of my normal life, to meet our times.

P95Carry
July 13, 2003, 01:15 PM
Good summation there Walosi ... I'd guess we are much same age group. I think pretty much same.

Regardless of where we live, and allowing for the ''Murphy factor'' I just think that ''Expecting the unexpected'' and ''don't assume'' are two good things to keep in mind ..... added to which of course ...... ''Better to have and not need ..........'':)

TallPine
July 13, 2003, 03:57 PM
But to have the mentality that all gun owners should be armed at all times - to me, that is infringing on my rights.

Good grief! Who is infringing on your rights?

Ryder
July 13, 2003, 04:24 PM
I ive in a quiet town but travel frequently. Not all the bad guys are in prison. I usually browse this site about once a month or so. Evil does walk amoung us.

U.S. Most Wanted (http://www.fugitivehunter.org/usmostwanted.html)

benewton
July 13, 2003, 05:12 PM
FWIW

Most of us "carry" a watch.

We don't need to, since cars and work places have clocks, so what's the point?

Are you that afraid of not knowing what time it is? Add in the fact that your personal time piece is very unlikely to be correct, and what would be the point of "carrying" one?

Just another tool, to be used as required, no more no less. Not exact, but good enough to get the job done.

Carry a CCW?

And, a weapon to boot: a gun is a crew served weapon, and who carries anything which requires a crew?

Carry, or don't, your choice and you pay the piper, either way.

But recognize that others, no matter which way you fall, have made another choice, take a deep breath, and relax.

No matter what you do, or what happens to you, life will continue for just about all of the rest of the world, in some fashion or another.

As for me, I'd like to shoot, but I've go stumps to do....

And off I go!

Moparmike
July 13, 2003, 05:30 PM
When I come of age to buy a handgun and its ammo, I will get a CCW. The only trouble is that I cant carry it in the most likely place I will be outside of my home, and that is college. I am not even sure if I can have it on the streets and state highways that run thru campus. Well, I know I can, but the local socialists would raise one hell of a stink about it.

JohnKSa
July 13, 2003, 09:31 PM
Well, this thread has run the gamut...

Started with a guy saying that people who go armed must be afraid.

But to have the mentality that all gun owners should be armed at all times - to me, that is infringing on my rights.
Now we've got a guy who's afraid someone is going to MAKE him go armed.

P95Carry
July 13, 2003, 10:45 PM
Yep .... John, the thread has about covered all bases! I must say ... fear per se has nothing to do with my decision to carry 24/7 .... it is purely ..... I can so i will ...... plus i am my own protector .... no one else will do it for me.

I would certainly also not say that all gun owners have to be armed as has been suggested earlier .... many cannot or choose not to carry ... so that would be an erronious statement. But those gun owners who do decide to carry are in fact IMO ... doing a service to their county/community ..... whatever. They add to the great deterent effect of carry, on the criminal fraternity.

And of course .... no one MAKES anyone else go armed .. it is a personal decision.

I would like tho for all elligible gun owners to be able to carry .... and act on that as a full time deal ...... not because of fears or paranoia ........ purely because it is possible and because ....... who knows what is round the next corner. ''Expect the unexpected'' .. and as others said ... there are even ''career criminals'' out there with clean rap sheets!!!

I fully expect (and hope) to die of reasonable old age ....... having never fired my piece in anger .... something that most would endorce i think. But all the while (despite my family's oft mentioned jibes at ''the ol fart who always carries a gun''!) ......... knowing that I am at least in a position to defend both myself and those around me.:)

Viking6
July 14, 2003, 06:52 AM
Fair definition tadyson, thanks for the input.

thorazine
July 14, 2003, 01:05 PM
I carry because I wouldn't dare think of leaving such a fine firearm at home alone with no one to care and comfort it!

Chugach
July 14, 2003, 08:45 PM
After reading this thread through twice, carefully, I'm going to my safe to get my main carry firearm (my BUG has been in my pocket since I dressed this morning).

[...walking to safe...]

Aaaahhh. That feels better!

A sign of fear or macho behavior? More accurately, a healthy respect of possible consequences. My experience shows me that some few people at rare intervals are irrational or simply bent on evil. Having personally been on the receiving end of such behavior, I choose to be armed.

If you've lived a charmed life and never seen friends, co-workers, or family attacked, I'm really happy for you. In my experience, when violence occurred it happened in seconds. There was no time to call for help or escape.

An on-body defensive tool is a good thing. YMMV.

CasualShooter
July 15, 2003, 03:44 AM
1. Boy scout training 50 years ago - Be Prepared!

2. Life experience - See #1, it pays! :D

pax
July 15, 2003, 04:13 AM
I've answered this before, both here and on TFL -- and, of course, the other answers on this thread are mostly right on target.

But I'm going to answer it again. This time, not from the perspective of why I started carrying a gun full-time, but why I keep doing it. The fact is, carrying a gun can be uncomfortable. The gun gets in the way of some activities, both literal and figurative. There is a constant and slightly uncomfortable awareness that the folks around me would frown upon me if they knew I had a gun under my outer clothing. Nevertheless, I continue to carry almost all day, almost every day -- and here's why.

Last week, I went to pick up two of my children from summer camp, and drop another two off at the same camp for the next session. The camp is about 3 hours from my house, in a rural area. The road we travel to get there is a two-lane highway, scenic and beautiful. And we were traveling in broad daylight.

Before I left the house, I put my gun on.

Did I expect any trouble? Nope. I just wear it as a matter of course. It's what I ordinarily do and that's what I did on this ordinary day.

After dropping one set of kids off and picking up the next set, the kids (ages 11 and 9) and I wandered down to the beach. We walked along a nearly empty boardwalk and enjoyed the sun and the crisp breeze. Yes, I still had my gun on. I didn't leave it in the car because I expected no trouble. I carried it, because that's what I always do.

Because we were enjoying ourselves, we stayed at the beach a bit longer than I had originally intended, and so it was nearly sunset before we got back in the car for the ride home. We got back in the car and I noticed the car needed fuel, so we stopped at the gas station. There were other people fueling up, and I did my standard observant glance around the station before I stepped out of the car. I did that, because that's what I always do. Filled the tank. Got back in the car ... and the car spluttered spluttered didn't want to start.

Hmph.

My sons and I push-started the cruddy little car and I mumbled a few choice comments under my breath (that's what I always do, after all). The car was going, sounded all right, and I was wondering ... "Now what??" The ride home was going to take about 3 hours. We'd piddled around at the beach so that it would be full dark before we got home. For various reasons, I do not own a cell phone -- not that it would have mattered since this particular stretch of road is notorious for its lack of cell service. Was the car reliable enough to drive down the deserted stretch of road? Should I risk it? If I didn't risk it, what would I do instead? There were no service shops open in this almost nonexistent town on a Saturday night, nor were there likely to be the next day.

I know nothing about engines (hey, that's what God made mechanics for!) and had no idea what was wrong. Maybe I'd left the headlights on while we were walking the boardwalk? If so, driving awhile would take care of the problem -- and I couldn't think of any really great alternative plans.

So we started back on that empty deserted stretch of road. And of course the car died (fiddlesticks and other comments). So there I was, a woman alone with two young boys, with no cell phone, on a deserted stretch of two lane highway just as it was about to turn dark.

Was I worried? About the car, yes. But I wasn't worried about our physical safety -- I had my gun and I knew I could protect myself and my children if a predator came along.

Shortly after the car died, another car pulled over and the man driving it asked if we needed help. Was I worried? Nope, I was relieved. I didn't have to worry about him, because I knew I could protect myself if he turned out not to be the good Samaritan he appeared to be. Having the means to defend myself allowed me to be friendly and confident in talking to a stranger in what could have been dangerous circumstances. So I gave him the phone number for AAA and asked him to call them for me. He said, "All right, I'll do that -- and I'll come back and let you know what they said so you'll know if I got ahold of them okay." Nice guy.

Fifteen minutes later, the man returned, handed us three cold Cokes, and told me AAA was on the way. I thanked him profusely and the kids gave him their best grins.

An hour after that, I was still sitting on the side of the road, waiting for my tow truck. The boys and I had run out of things to talk about. I was bored, a little worried that AAA had forgotten us, and getting hungry and sleepy. Finally, the tow truck showed up -- a greasy driver who talked a mile a minute. Of course he was greasy, that's his job. But a woman alone on a deserted country road knows in her bones that the tow truck guy could be a rapist. Did I worry about that? Nope, not really. I had the means to take care of myself and my kids if I needed to. Because I was confident, I was able to be friendly and forthright.

Eventually, the whole situation worked itself out, as these things do. Nobody offered me the slightest violence and because I was confident in my ability to take care of it if they did, I was able to be outgoing and friendly rather than frightened or churlishly suspicious in dealing with other people in what I considered to be a risky situation.

And that is why I carry a gun all the time.

pax

Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be. -- Clementine Paddelford

Zeke Menuar
July 15, 2003, 09:40 AM
No offense to the police, but cops are a reactive force. They can't be around every corner preventing crime. I am the one responsible for my personal safety, particulary in the 1-4 minutes that it takes for the police to respond to a crime.

I have had four separate instances in the last five years where I've had to draw. I don't believe that there is a bad guy behind every rock. I do believe that some parts of town are inherently less safe then others and I won't take any chances, paticularly at night.

ZM

Ky Larry
July 15, 2003, 10:28 AM
My brother-in-law is a decent, church-going, hard-working taxpayer. He said he beleived in delegating the job of protecting his family to our local police department. I agree the police do an excellent job in almost all circumstances. However, I reminded him of an often overlooked fact. From the time you call 9-1-1 until the good guys arrive YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN!!
He thought about this a few days,bought a S&W Air Weight and got his CCW. He didn't become Rambo, shoot his wife,or develope a low self image. He still looks, talks and acts like he always did except he is armed.

280PLUS
July 15, 2003, 07:23 PM
better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

and i hope i never need it

m

Tango7
July 20, 2003, 09:53 PM
Had firearms since I was 18. (interest since I was a little one, but mom didn't allow guns in house) While in college, had a run in with an idiot as a result of a car hitting my parked motorcycle - he threatened to "blow up my house" if I didn't drop the court case to get my bike fixed. Suddenly, the use of guns in self defense went from the theoretical to very possible. I sat down with my Llama .380, a loaded magazine, and an old Bianchi vertical shoulder rig. After a while, I loaded the pistol, and a watershed moment had passed.

Even in the "safe" suburbs I kept a gun nearby. Moving to my current home (once a crackhouse), I started carrying more frequently. While I am a sworn officer, I am a Firefighter/Paramedic first in the eyes of the city, and do not carry on duty. I carry on my property, and occasionally off.

Why?

a) I work for the City, and I know that, even when dispatch is on the ball, and officers are available, it will take 3-5 minutes after I call for a unit to get to my house. A lot can happen in 3 to 5 minutes.

b) The police department (state) is not responsible for my protection, or the protection of my family, except in the case of foreign aggression.

c) I like having the ability to deal with any situation that may arise in an equal or advantageous manner to protect myself and my family.

d) It keeps the neighborhood gang bangers wondering (so does the 75 grains of FFFg several times on 7/4 and 12/31-1/1)

e) it allows me the ability to dispatch aggresive feral dogs that are on my property with a minimum of inconvenience.

YodaVader
July 20, 2003, 10:45 PM
Now we've got a guy who's afraid someone is going to MAKE him go armed.

Good one! LOL! :D I just recieved the impression from a few that being gun owner meant that you should be armed at all times.
Sorry , I don't get agree with that line of thinking. There are many very legtimate reasons for CCW - the post by pax was really well stated. Many gun owners I know personally carry a gun. If I lived back in Jacksonville , NC and I had the same CCW permit I had here I would probably carry a lot more often as well. There were times here in the past where I carried a few times.

These days - at my age ,I am more concerned with my blood pressure and cholesterol. Carrying a gun for protection is not high on my priority list. But, I can surely understand why many do carry their gun.

280PLUS
July 21, 2003, 07:51 AM
"These days - at my age ,I am more concerned with my blood pressure and cholesterol."

swim, breast stroke, 1/2 hr every other day

there is no better way to excercise for the conditions you are talking about

walking is second but does not work your upper body enough

but remember, as said by someone else around here,

"i am not a doctor, nor do i play one on tv."

and if they give you a little something for the cholesterol and youre feeling all achy and just plain bad, it could be the medicine

this has been a public service announcement, we now return you to your regular thread,,,

:rolleyes:

feedthehogs
July 21, 2003, 09:33 AM
.........Endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

The only one responsible to protect these rights for me and my family is ME!

If those that seek to take these rights away from me are armed, then so will I.

Byron Quick
July 21, 2003, 09:56 AM
But to have the mentality that all gun owners should be armed at all times - to me, that is infringing on my rights. YodaVader

My personal belief is a bit more global than your example quoted above.

I believe everyone should own a gun and be armed at all times except when locked in secure quarters with trustworthy companions.

However, since I do not believe in forcing anyone to adhere to my beliefs...my beliefs are in no way an infringement of your rights.

But I visit seven graves of friends and family members at least once annually-who, if they'd listened to me-would have had at least a chance of survival. As it turned out for them...they had no chance. In the final extreme, would you rather have a chance at survival or a chance of taking them with you...or no chance at all?

A cousin of a cousin (this is the South) refused to go about his life armed. His reasoning was similar to yours. He broke down beside the road one day. The two guys who stopped... sodomized him, took his boot laces, tied his hands behind his back with one, and tied his neck to a concrete block with the other. Then they threw him in a pond. Maybe just maybe, he would have survived if he had been armed and vigilant.

I'll deal with a right hefty slice of inconvenience for that chance.

Wanderer
July 21, 2003, 10:02 AM
You never know when something might happen to you, I'm sure the people that were at various places shootings occured know this, and know it well. You would probably be more inclined to carry 2 lbs. extra on your hip and be safe than be comfortable and unsafe.

Pain
July 21, 2003, 10:41 PM
I have had my license now for 2 months, And I have noticed a change in me, and the wife has noticed too. I carry because when armed I have noticed that 1. I'm more aware and 2. I tend to let things slide when carrying. For example last night. We were leaving a concert and I had my pistol in the car. Well as we are leaving traffic is horrible trying to get out of this place, and drivers get agressive. This Guy in a big Dually (sp) misses hitting the wife's pride and joy her car. The dude started cussing and finger this and finger that. My wife started yelling back. I then told her just ignore the guy, we are OK and there is no need to escalate it further and that it can only lead to a bad outcome. My wife looked at me in amazement as I usually don't take anything off of anybody. ( got me hurt a few times too). She turned up the stereo and we ignored the guy. He got to go home, I got to go home and a bad situation was diverted. All because I was trained and armed, and with that comes a big responsibility. It was my responsibility to avoid an altercation and I did. Thats why I carry. Responsibility and the ability to defend myself if being responsible does'nt work.

CasualShooter
July 21, 2003, 11:03 PM
That's it! :)

Freedom + Responsibility = Liberty :D

Drjones
July 22, 2003, 05:27 PM
Pain:

You just saw for yourself how an armed society is indeed a polite society.

Mannlicher
July 22, 2003, 07:39 PM
its always scary when some cop does not understand gun ownership. Of course, I dont like cops to start with.............

HBK
July 22, 2003, 10:17 PM
I like cops. They get little pay to perform a vital service to the community. I don't like the odd LEO with a JBT mentality. For example, last month I received a speeding ticket. I was speeding, 61 in a 50. I thought he oculd've given me a break, but he gave me a ticket. He was courteous and professional. It's hard to have a problem with that, even if you believe that speed limits are just a tax on people who like to drive fast. Guys that want to use their authority to push people around or intimidate people...I have no use for them.
Of course, sometimes, maybe oftentimes, all LEOs go into situations in which an attitude is required and may save their life.

CasualShooter
July 22, 2003, 11:11 PM
Of course, sometimes, maybe oftentimes, all LEOs go into situations in which an attitude is required and may save their life.

Bad Guys sometimes mistake courtesy on the part of a police officer as a sign of weakness. :confused: An "attitude" may then be required by the Officer to take command of the situation and maintain the upper hand. Been there, Done that.

Believe it, or not. Did you know that, while they may do it, most PO's don't usually like to write tickets? Unless the violation is flagrant and/or the violator is really being a jerk. :D

BTW, stopping traffic violators has been shown statistically to be one of the most dangerous things a PO can do. Many BG's are in a high state of exitement following a criminal act and may violate speed and other traffice control devices in attempting to get away from the scene of their crime. When a PO stops a traffic violator, he never knows what he may be comming upon and his life may depend on his being ready for the unexpected.

Also, if you "have an attitude" when you are stopped by the police, the officer may sense it and you may find yourself being treated accordingly.

I believe that most PO's today are generally courteous unless provoked. But, courtesy is a two way street. Try it, if you are stopped for a TV and you may sometimes (not always) find yourself being given a warning instead of a ticket. Be a jerk and the outcome may be more predictable. :D

English John
July 22, 2003, 11:23 PM
A long time ago I was told "Don't bring that (1911), you won't need it!"- he was wrong.
Another time I depended on someone else to provide me a weapon when I didn't have one- I was wrong.
Never trust someone else for your safety, it is YOUR responsibility first.
After my vacation overseas, I carried a badge for eight years. There are some EVIL people out there, and you never know when the SHTF.
Everything stays locked up, except the one that stays on me. It is easier to keep it on me than put it away and take it out all of the time. My wife got used to it, and was even glad once or twice.
I trained both my sons, one carries and one doesn't. Their choice, no one else's. I carry a pocket knife, small flashlight, credit card, cell phone in the truck, fire extinguisher in the kitchen, and a pocket pistol. My choice, no one else's.
(aside: the two biggest fallicies (sp) I found as an LEO: 1) People think "It can't happen to me". and 2) when it does, "I must have done something to cause it". Both wrong. Sometimes the SHTF.)

Bostonterrier97
July 22, 2003, 11:24 PM
Why am I armed?

November 1990 my Father's Fiance was murdered in his house with a kitchen knife (the slime bucket who did it is still on death row)

November 1991 I was robbed at Gun Point at work. (The piece of white trash pulled a 1911 on me..)

So..my question: Why Shouldn't I be armed?

Why shouldn't ANYONE be armed?

Everyone has the RIGHT to defend themselves

If you enjoyed reading about "Fear factor or Why do you carry a gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!