Whats it like buying a gun in Arizona vs. CA?

PDA

Dtmoss14
September 25, 2007, 12:40 AM
What are the differences?

Can you bring a gun you bought it AZ back to CA?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats it like buying a gun in Arizona vs. CA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bilt4Comfort
September 25, 2007, 12:42 AM
Hell...you can't even bring fruit you bought in Az into Ca.

dstorm1911
September 25, 2007, 12:43 AM
Arizona....... ya walk in pick your gun give em your AZ drivers license fill out the 4473 and walk out with your gun.......

I don't think CA. will allow ya to take anything into California unless its on their APPROVED list........... AZ doesn't care where ya go with the gun after ya'v paid for it California is an entirely different situation

ArmedBear
September 25, 2007, 12:44 AM
The differences are night and day. Over on the free side, no waiting periods, no fees or paperwork for FTF private party sales, no "approved handgun list", no magazine size restrictions.

Can you buy a gun in AZ and bring it home to CA? Sure. You can. But you'll get in a heap of trouble if you get caught doing it. It's illegal. Same for hi-cap magazines, etc.

Dtmoss14
September 25, 2007, 01:01 AM
Even if the gun is a bolt action long rifle?

The Annoyed Man
September 25, 2007, 01:11 AM
Even if the gun is a bolt action long rifle?That shouldn't make any difference. As far as I know, the Savage you've been eyeballing is available in California also.

However, I don't know that you can legally purchase a firearm in AZ if you're not an AZ resident.

BTW, Texas is like AZ. Walk in. Fill out the paperwork. Wait while they make a quick phone call. Pay the man. Walk out with the gun.

Shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes, unless you're like me and you talk a lot. :D

ArmedBear
September 25, 2007, 01:14 AM
Even if the gun is a bolt action long rifle?

Hey, don't expect the law to make sense.

Why do I have to wait 10 days to get a .22 semiauto rifle when I already have 2 at home?

jhansman
September 25, 2007, 01:23 AM
Arizona....... ya walk in pick your gun give em your AZ drivers license fill out the 4473 and walk out with your gun.......

Really? I was in the WalMart in Kingman one night last Jan., and overheard a rifle transaction. When the sales clerk asked the customer to come back in a couple of hours (after the federal background check was run), he complained loudly. Hell, I'd be grateful if all I had to wait was a couple of hours.

BTW, I wanted to buy a gun while I was in that lovely state. I called several gun shops, and learned no can do if you are not an AZ resident.

nwilliams
September 25, 2007, 01:25 AM
I've heard that you need to show proof of residency to buy a gun here if you're from out of State. I don't know if that just applies to handguns or rifles of both, I could be wrong I've never tried purchasing a gun as a non-resident here.

The easiest way to find out is to call J&G Sales and ask them, they would know for sure and it would only take a few moments of your time.
http://www.jgsales.com/

jpwilly
September 25, 2007, 01:32 AM
If you have your CWP aka CCW here in AZ they don't need to make a phone call. I can't believe they still consider CA a state of good ol USA!!!

dstorm1911
September 25, 2007, 01:39 AM
How long the Federally required NCIC check takes is going to depend on the buyer.... I have an FFL as well as CCW etc... don't have to do NCIC check, if the guy was told to come back in a couple hours..... he probably had a name etc.. similar to a restricted person, in those cases or if ya have a very common name your much better off getting a PIN number from the feds to get ya approved faster...

silverlance
September 25, 2007, 05:52 AM
if it's a mosin nagant or something like that yu're looking for, get a C&R and have it shipped to you. otherwise, get a friendly FFL to transfer it. or just buy one from big 5.

here's another plus. if you have a c&R, you can buy a c&r gun in AZ or NV, then carry it right home with you. once you get back, you need to pay $19 and fill out a DOJ form. that's it. no ten day, etc.

DennisB
September 25, 2007, 10:23 PM
A sales guy at Jenson's in Tucson told me last week that as a Texas CCW holder he could sell me a long gun, but not a handgun. Same story in Arkansas. In fact, IIRC, one Wal-Mart there had a large sign at the gun counter saying that if you were from in-state/out of state they could sell/couldn't sell this or that...

roscoe
September 26, 2007, 02:42 AM
It depends on CA state law, not AZ state law.

Bluehawk
September 26, 2007, 04:57 AM
Federal law states an individual can purchase long guns outside his state of residence and bring them home (as long as that gun is legal in his home state). I've done it several times while visiting Oklahoma and Arkansas.
Bought an SKS in OK...went throught the instant check system and had the gun in an hour...check system took a little while.
I live in California.
Some gunshop owners are not aware of this law and if you can't reason with them and they won't place a call to their local ATF office to verify this then simply go to another shop.

teombe
September 26, 2007, 06:01 PM
Bought an SKS in OK...went throught the instant check system and had the gun in an hour...check system took a little while.

Are SKSs legal to own in CA at all???

Roccobro
September 26, 2007, 06:21 PM
Yes- just not Norincos, or any brand detachable mags, or Yugo with functional grenade launcher.

Justin

Spiggy
September 26, 2007, 06:27 PM
I've seen chinese standard SKSs float around in various reconfigurations of bubbah, just no SKS-D or SKS-M detachables

The Yugo is a different story, it's considered a C&R, but the grenade launcher on the latter version is against SB23 evil features laws
-and according to the laws, Yugos are not considered SKS, but rather a Simonov-Patterned carbine; so one can easily hop around with the laws on them.

Bluehawk
September 26, 2007, 08:07 PM
Yes- just not Norincos,

Norincos are legal in CA as long as they are in their original configuration and not the "Sporter" model with the detachable magazine.
The one I brought back from OK was an original Norinco.

Roccobro
September 27, 2007, 03:26 AM
Huh. I had to register mine as an AW in '99, but I happily stand corrected! :)

Justin

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats it like buying a gun in Arizona vs. CA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!