Best Way to Appraise a Pistol

PDA

AngryDragon
September 27, 2007, 09:07 PM
A friend of mine recently came into possession of some very interesting pieces. These include a Webley Mk VI (1916), Walther P-38 (1938), and a Luger (DWM 1916). She has suggested that I will get the "pick of the litter" if I get her reliable information on fair market value for these and other pieces. My conscience wouldn't quite let me say "$500 for the lot!":evil:

What is the most reliable method for determining the value of something like this? What information is usually used to help in the appraisal process?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Way to Appraise a Pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Geronimo45
September 27, 2007, 10:59 PM
The Blue Book of gun values usually has entries on 'em... but true market rates are sometimes considerable higher (or lower). Lugers go for a mint. Walthers, less. Webleys... depends on if it's converted to .45 ACP or no. The .455 models hover at $400 or higher. The .45 ACPs go for closer to $600.

john paul
September 29, 2007, 11:29 PM
gunbroker.com is a good place to start too!

guy sajer
September 30, 2007, 12:25 AM
A really nice unaltered Webley MKVI .455 can bring $700-800 . An excellent condition , but common military 1916 DWM possibly $900-1200 or more . Just depends on finish , bore , etc . An early P-38 can bring over a $2k . Again , condition and rarity of markings or contract .

Just another's opinion .

Erik
September 30, 2007, 07:58 PM
"What is the most reliable method for determining the value of something like this? What information is usually used to help in the appraisal process?"

In person if you know what you're doing. In person with someone who knows what they are doing if you do not.

Seriously. The upside is that if you don't know what you are doing eventually you will as long as you pay attention.

Zen21Tao
October 1, 2007, 06:06 AM
You also will want to consult some military gun collector books (from a local bookstore) to price the Walther and the Luger. Make sure to copy down ALL marking that you see on each weapon (e.g. serial numbers, proof marks, Nazi symbols, etc.). Also, take notice as to whether the various numbered parts all match. An all matching firearms is usually worth much more than a pieced together/re-arsenaled "rework."

Strings
October 1, 2007, 06:11 PM
According to the 25th Ed of the Blue book, here's what you're looking at:

Webley Mk VI (1916) $600@100%, $200@60%

Walther P-38 (1938) can't find anything but post-war production. $800@100%, @225@60%

Luger (DWM 1916). LOTS of variables here. Looks like $1250@98%, $450@60% (different markings and suchlike change things)...

Hope that helps!

BADSBSNF81
October 5, 2007, 09:43 AM
For the P-38 -post over on http://forums.p38forum.com/index.htm

For the Luger -post over on http://luger.gunboards.com/

Provide all the information you can (markings, grips, Sn, etc.) Pictures are a big plus.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Way to Appraise a Pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!