Thinking of a .45 but need opinions

PDA

Dynasty
September 30, 2007, 05:14 PM
After shooting a 9mm and a .45 at a friend's, I came to the conclusion that I like the .45 better. I would like to get a .45 for target shooting and home/personal defense, but there are many guns out there. I would like to stay below $400 if possible. I want something that is reliable, accurate, requires minimal maintenace, and will last for years down the road. I have done some research and came up with a list that could possibly fit the bill.

- Hi-Point .45 ACP $145 (http://www.impactguns.com/store/752334345103.html)
*Life time warranty, not an attractive gun, made in OH (I live in OH), seem to be reliable with minimal jams
- Ruger P345 $400 (http://www.impactguns.com/store/736676066025.html)
*Seems to be very well built, I couldn't find many negative things about it
- Taurus PT 24/7 $330 (http://www.impactguns.com/store/725327602033.html)
*Read some problems like failure to feed and nosedives, also some jams, but have seen videos of it buried in dirt and run over with a car and it still shoots
- EAA Witness 45ACP $350 (http://www.impactguns.com/store/741566111136.html)
*Seems to be good quality, not too many people that own them have anything negative to report
- Glock Model 21 $550 (http://www.impactguns.com/store/PI2150203.html)
*People seem to swear by Glock, more than I want to spend

What do you suggest?

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking of a .45 but need opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lee n. field
September 30, 2007, 05:19 PM
Ruger P90

Crunker1337
September 30, 2007, 05:26 PM
GLOCK all the way, if you want to spend that much. Why not buy one used?

BigO01
September 30, 2007, 05:34 PM
Heard many good things about the EAA Witness and have been considering one myself .

Hi Point 1 nephew has one it is a fine paperweight nothing else .

Ruger tough as nails and dependable but I hate the Ruger triggers I have shot .

Taurus seems like a nice gun but a light weight 45 ? Hmmm , Not sure this is a good caliber for that .

Glock , same as Taurus a bit to light for my taste and more than your $400 range .

Have you considered looking at Gunbroker for an RIA or HighStandard 1911 in 45 . Same gun different names stamped on frame can still be had under $400 in many places . Centerfire Systems " http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=58 " still lists the RIA at $339.99 and the spiffed up tactical model at $379.99 I would suggest the tactical the upgrades are worth the $40 easily .

There is also the SAM for about the same price $329.99 at Centerfire Systems and Century also imports then and has a Commander version " The Commadore with a 4 1/4 barrel" all for under $400 or so I am told .
http://www.centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=21&pg=2

I have examined a few SAM copies of the Government model and have been impressed with them and have had a good report from a Commadore owner over at 1911.org .

Good luck in your search .

Ala Dan
September 30, 2007, 05:39 PM
If it boiled down to the Ruger, or the Glock; I would choose Glock every time,
but that is a matter of personal preference. The High Point would have been
launched into the deepest nearby river; and the other's would be shelved,
awaiting further evaluation~! :scrutiny:;):D

shadowalker
September 30, 2007, 05:44 PM
If you watch the gun shows you should be able to get a new XD for around $450, and used for less, you also can get a CPO Sig for around $450, you should also be able to find a glock for less than $550, if you haven't you could look at the S&W M&P too.

I own several Rugers, they are reliable, acceptably accurate, and my P90 handles recoil very well (it is pretty heavy), I wouldn't pay more than $350 or so for one though, once you get over $400 there are better choices.

45 is a great caliber but if you are new to firearms and wont be reloading it will cost you, 9mm is considerably cheaper to shoot, has less recoil making it a great target caliber and is acceptable for self defense.

Zeke Menuar
September 30, 2007, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't consider any of those.

Take a look at the XD45 Series.

ZM

Texas Colt
September 30, 2007, 06:16 PM
I would say EAA Witness, Glock or Springfield XD. I really depends on which one fits your hand better.

I have one friend who owns a Hi-Point. It's pretty much a paper weight. While it does go bang when you pull the trigger, you never know where the bullet is going to strike. It's all over the map, as much as 3 feet low at 15 yards!!!

Another friend owns the Ruger. It has been back to the factory 3 times. It's finally working okay, but I could never trust it.

Remember, in most cases you get what you pay for.

novaDAK
September 30, 2007, 06:20 PM
My Ruger KP90 has been great. i paid about 300 used (though they're out there for less than that) And the trigger is unbelievable. It's different than my other Rugers for some reason. The DA is smooth, and the SA is surprisingly light. (lighter and crisper than my hi-power! :) )

eldon519
September 30, 2007, 06:24 PM
If you decide to step into the Glock price range, I'd also recommend looking at the Springfield XD45 ($500), the Springfield Mil-spec 1911 ($600), and the S&W M&P45 ($485).

All prices are off Budsgunshop.com, but I think you could do alot better on the Mil-spec 1911. I got one not long ago for $550.

I think it is well worth the extra money to step up and start looking at the Glock and the above mentioned pistols. You really get alot for that extra $100 or so.

Chris B
September 30, 2007, 06:29 PM
+1 for SA XD .45. Great triggers, great ergonomics, surprisingly little felt recoil for such a light gun.

Dusey
September 30, 2007, 06:37 PM
Glock. Buy it now, or buy something inferior now and end up buying the Glock later.

novaDAK
September 30, 2007, 06:51 PM
That is a stupid-a** comment right there. Glocks aren't superior to everything you know... :rolleyes:

ArchAngelCD
September 30, 2007, 06:57 PM
I'm a little surprised you didn't mention the S&W M&P .45 Auto. I looked on Impact Guns and they have one for $531.99
http://www.impactguns.com/store/022188093063.html From everything I've heard it's a great pistol that reliable and accurate.

wally
September 30, 2007, 07:44 PM
In your price range, take a look at the RIA "Tactical". IMHO best value on the market for an entry level 1911, Good warrenty support. Check out the Armscor/RIA forum over at forum.m1911.org where you can learn more and talk to factory representatives.

--wally.

bones42
September 30, 2007, 08:13 PM
+1 for the Springfield XD 45

They are available at a reasonable price. Factory mags can be found at a reasonable price. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger. :)

You can't wrong with Glock or a Quality 1911 either if they can be found in your price range either. Shoot as many as you can before making your decision and get the one that suits you best.

2TransAms
September 30, 2007, 08:20 PM
You really ought to save a few bucks and move yourself up to the $500 mark. At that point you have most of the polymer-framed pistols available. You should easily get a Glock,XD,or M&P for $500,or even a good used Sig 220 which would be my choice. With this auction (http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=81244708), you're looking at about $500 for the pistol,4 mags,shipping,and transfer fee on your end. Not a bad deal.

Arkie
September 30, 2007, 08:21 PM
If I were you, I would see about putting a few rounds down range for the guns you listed and see just how they feel to you.

I have the Ruger P345 and I like it a lot. I've never owned a Glock and never shot one. But I like my pistols to have hammers on them. It's just me. LOL.

HM2PAC
September 30, 2007, 08:32 PM
Off of your list my choice would be:

1. EAA Witness
2. Glock

Out of everything else that has been recommended:

1. RIA 1911A1
2. CPO Sig
3. SA XD45

It sounds as though you liked your friends .45, what was it?

What it all boils down to for me is this:
Do I shoot it well?
Does the model have a spotty track record?

If something out there is generating a lot of hate and discontent, stay away from it. Sort it out into preference vs. real problem.

Good Luck

MachIVshooter
September 30, 2007, 09:53 PM
Glock. Buy it now, or buy something inferior now and end up buying the Glock later.

There are a great many words to describe a comment like that. Clueless and arrogant definitely come to mind. Wrong is another...................

To the original post, of the firearms you've listed, the Witness will be the most pleasant shooter. EAA is a PITA company, but Tanfoglio makes a good pistol. I own two and my sister has one (all 10mm's) and we are perfectly happy with them. The Taurus are OK, but have had some issues (not that other guns don't, but Taurus' customer service is abominable). If you're gonna go ruger, I'd suggest the P90 over the P345. The Glock is a Glock; reliable and durable, but ugly as sin and unpleasant to hold. I wouldn't even consider the Hi-Point.

As mentioned, the Rock Island 1911's give alot of bang for the buck. People are also very happy with the XD's. And if you're gonna step up in the $550 range of the Glock, might want to consider the S&W M&P .45. Don't forget about used guns, either. You can get a decent S&W 4506 or 4516 for around $400.

mgregg85
September 30, 2007, 10:02 PM
Give the XD's a try if you are thinking about a glock. They have all the benefits and add a grip safety and tend to have a better trigger pull. With the XD45 compact you have your choice of a concealable 10+1 carry weapon or a 13+1 HD/target/sport shooting weapon. I have found that they tend to be a bit cheaper than glocks too, unless your buying used. I bought my XD45 compact for $500 after looking at a used glock 21 for $475.

Newton
September 30, 2007, 10:06 PM
There are a great many words to describe a comment like that. Clueless and arrogant definitely come to mind.

Was that really called for?

MachIVshooter
September 30, 2007, 10:12 PM
Was that really called for?

What words would you use to describe a statement telling a newcomer to the world of guns that he'd better buy a Glock because everything else is junk? I think my adjectives fit perfectly.

xsquidgator
September 30, 2007, 10:12 PM
If you can't up your price range a little, I've heard good things (and apparently some people here have too) about the Rock Island Armory 1911 .45s, and the Ruger P series in 45ACP.

If you can go up another $100 or so, I don't think you can go wrong with either a (1) Glock 21 or 30, (2) a Smith and Wesson M&P45 or (3) a Springfield Armory XD45.

I picked the M&P45 and have been very pleased with it after perhaps 1000 rounds. Reliable and accurate, and excellent (for me anyway) ergonomics. The M&P felt better and more natural in my hand than did the XD45 so that's what it came down to for me.

I've shot Glocks and like them ok, and you hear a lot of good things about reliability etc with them. Two things about Glocks make them controversial to some people... the cartridge in the chamber is supported less than in other firearms, which some say makes them more susceptible to kabooms. And, the polygonal rifling means you shouldn't shoot plain lead bullets through them or risk eventual bore obstructions and a kaboom. Some people say they do shoot lead through Glocks just fine, I don't know but I wasn't comfortable with that myself. For maybe $100 you can get an aftermarket barrel to drop in your Glock to change it to conventional rifling, but then you have a $600+ glock instead of what it normally costs.

Whatever you get, if you get a 45 I'd recommend you splurge the couple hundred bucks like I did and get into reloading, else you're gonna spend a LOT of dough on factory 45 ammo. Reload with plain lead bullets instead of jacketed, and you can make a box of 50 for $5 or $6 if you already have some brass. Sure beats paying close to $30 for a 100 pack of WWB at your local walmart. All that said, whoever gave you the advice about just getting a 9mm for your first pistol has some good points. 9mm is perfectly fine for SD and for practice, and is much less painful in the wallet. I reload 9mm too but it's not quite as crucial to reload with 9mm to make shooting affordable.

james_bond
September 30, 2007, 10:18 PM
It has already ben said a few times but I must repeat.... Springfield XD in .45 ACP..... I love mine more than anything, second to only my wife and child. the guy at the gunstore recomended a Ruger P-345 for my first .45, and I like it, but I liked the XD more, I got the tactical one (5 inch barrel) and love it it is a big gun, and I would want nothing less.

BoneDigger
September 30, 2007, 11:13 PM
I have a P345 and like it alot. I also used to have a P90 and liked it a lot. I also like the XD45. So, I would choose either the Ruger or the XD.

Todd

YardVarmint
September 30, 2007, 11:19 PM
I agree, for your stated budget either the P345 or the XD45 would be a good choice.

I would recommend if possible to find a local range that rents both and try them out.

I got a chance to fire the P345 at a public range and thought it better than the P97 I used to own.

Vito_Corleone
September 30, 2007, 11:27 PM
Find a used Sig P220.

RPCVYemen
October 1, 2007, 11:48 PM
Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC.

DAVE RICHARDS
October 2, 2007, 12:39 AM
I own or have owned the Glock and Ruger. Fired a friends Witness. That is just the order I would go by. The Glock is light, super tough, reliable, lots of rounds, one trigger action type, and very accurate. Only con is the grip is fat. It doesn't fit lots of folks hands. If not the have the new SF version.
Ruger is also tough, reliable, and accurate. Slim grip but a few less rounds. Not target grade triggers but plenty good enough. I would serve you well. Then their is the Witness.
Accurate, tough, reliable, lots of rounds. But also large and heavy.
I could not recomend a Taurus auto. They are very hit or miss in quality. Good ones are great. But if they do break service is a b&*&$. Hi points just to cluky for my tastes.

Big Boomer
October 2, 2007, 12:47 AM
They are just as reliable as Glocks, about the same price plus with the added grip safety, chamber indicator, and striker indicator I can always be a bit more safe. It also is nice to know if it is cocked and locked so to speak.

Most shooters that have no experience with a glock will shoot better with the XD as it has a 1911 style grip and shoots better point of aim.

I love mine just my .02

haybaler
October 2, 2007, 02:52 AM
novaDAK is right. My experience with .45's is limited to 1911's and my Ruger P90. The P90 has the smoothest and lightest double action trigger of any gun I have ever handled. The SA trigger is sweet also. It's a great gun for the value if you want a traditional DA/SA action.

10-Ring
October 2, 2007, 10:43 AM
Go Glock!

bakert
October 2, 2007, 10:44 AM
There a lot of choices out there and many different opinions. Considering the $400 price range, the RIA suggested by wally might be a good option as would be the Ruger P90 or the discontinued Ruger P97 (which BTW is my everyday carry gun). In my area the RIA tactical runs a bit more nowadays and the Rugers can be gotten for less.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/brumanj/CopyofPicture516.jpg

elkhuntingfool
October 2, 2007, 02:20 PM
Dynasty - do you live in Utah? If you do - Impact rents all of those guns so you can shoot them before you buy. I wouldn't waste my time with the Hi-Point - jut my opinion. Most gun stores with a range would probably let you shoot before you buy as well.

I really like the Ruger - my brother has it and it feels great. But then again, what feels great to me might feel lousy to you.

I really like the XD45 - that would be my next gun purchase.

novaDAK
October 2, 2007, 02:26 PM
I think that's the best advice yet. Rent them all and pick the one you like best :)

For me, it was a tossup between a P90 and a RIA a few years ago, and went with the Ruger because it was stainless and I loved my other Ruger 9mm.
I have since bought another 3 Ruger pistols since then...two 9mms and a .40 :)

I have other brands (some more expensive and fancy) but Ruger remains my #1 favorite brand. Price has nothing to do with it now for me :)

shooter429
October 2, 2007, 08:54 PM
The Ruger is by far the best gun in your price range, IMHO. It is a good, solid, reliable gun that lacks polish. Shoot it a lot and it should smooth out. You can get a gun that is a bit smoother out of the box, but it will cost you. If you can spend the extra money, go for the Glock. A 21 will be a bit lighter and smoother and have a better trigger.

Happy hunting!

Shooter429

TL1234
October 2, 2007, 08:58 PM
If you are willing to go above 400, you can still stay well under 500 and get a variety of great guns in .45, especially if you consider used guns.

Here is a short list of guns that you can get for under 500, some of them you can even get new.

-Smith and Wesson M&P (won't find a better price on a new, QUALITY .45)
-Glock 21 (I don't like the grip angle, but still worth considering for many other reasons)
-Sig 220 (Not a bad thing to say about this gun, a 220 beat to hell is still better than the guns you mentioned)
-Smith and Wesson 4506 or other 45 series (rugged, reliable, accurate, but heavy)

Any of these would DEFINITELY be a better option than most of the guns you mentioned in terms of reliability, finish, accuracy, accessory options, etc. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good pistol (I generally think most anything over $600 is overrated and overpriced) but $400 is just a little low to get something you can really trust.

nelson133
October 2, 2007, 09:17 PM
I have a Ruger P97 that I bought this year for $250 and it is quite a good gun. The Taurus Millennium Pro and 24/7 are also good guns in your price range. I own 2 RIA 45s, standard and compact, and would be good choices if you want a 1911 type. Don't get too worried about the brand and price snobs, there are good guns in your price range. The most important thing is to find something to suit you, try as many as you can.

Ceemack
October 2, 2007, 09:26 PM
Is this your first handgun? If so, you're going to find that a .45 is awfully hard to shoot on a limited budget.

Landric
October 2, 2007, 09:47 PM
Look for a used S&W 3rd generation .45, 4506, 4566, 4586, etc., they can usually be had for less than $400. They are totally reliable and nicely accurate. They get run down a lot, mostly by people who have no experience with them.

TL1234
October 2, 2007, 10:48 PM
Everyone that is saying there is nothing wrong with the Taurus, Ruger, Hi-Point, etc. aren't giving the whole story. While the guns they have work very well, there are generally more lemons at those price points than with the slightly higher price (400-600) range.

There are lemons at EVERY price point, but I would be more comfortable getting something with a better reputation for quality control like Sig, Glock, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, etc than a Taurus or Hi-Point.

ironvic
October 2, 2007, 10:59 PM
I think I'd seriously look ar the SIG P-220 in .45 ACP, but buy a used U.S. police trade in (to stay within your price point), many of these are in prime condition internally. If you liked your friend's .45 because it was on 1911 frame, there are companies building this weapon in all grades, but it does require a lot of practice to be good (and safe) with it. Maybe a mil-spec grade weapon you could customize to your specific needs later if need be.

ironvic

Black Snowman
October 2, 2007, 11:01 PM
The best 45 ACP handgun in my book is the CZ 97B. Particularly for the money. They are even becoming more readily available used. My #2 choice would be an HK USP, 3rd would be SIG P220 SAO, 4th would be the Glock. If the Glock works for you it's an excellent and reliable firearm at a reasonable price.

Over the lifetime of the gun (if it's at all decent) the cost of ammunition will come out to several times the cost of the gun, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to cut corners. Rent, borrow, or at least handle as many guns as you can before coming to a final decision and laying down your hard earned cash.

Then, once you've made your choice, invest in formal instruction. It will save you years of frustration and thousands of rounds of ammunition in practice. I waited 14 years from when I started shooting to take any formal training and it's the largest regret of my entire firearms experience. You will never spend better money than on training.

ryan in maine
October 3, 2007, 04:50 AM
Summit Gun Broker has a couple used Smith & Wesson models for around $400. I think you could also get a Glock 36 from them for close to $400 as well.

Model 4566 - $379 (http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1871966.html).
45 Tactical - $415 (http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1954077.html).
Factory used Glock page (http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1927793.html).

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
October 3, 2007, 05:49 PM
i still don't understand why people hate the hi-point so much, you have to look at it this way. it fires every time, maybe not the prettiest gun but nor is the glock in my eyes. for what your paying your get great accuracy out of the box, full no questions asked warranty, hell if you ever have to send it in for repair they send you back a couple extra mags for your time and trouble. now what other company that you know of does so, lit alone fixes the gun for FREE!!

now im not saying its the best gun but it is a great gun for what is needed. i carry my C-9 all day every day as my main carry with a S&W .38 as a BUG, i trust my life with it and there is reasoning for that.

i would also look into a 1911 like stated above, great firearm and there is a reason its been around this long.

also the ruger is a nice gun, i good friend has the p90 i believe it was and that was good, very conferable on the hands as well as not having too much of a kick.

Walkalong
October 3, 2007, 05:57 PM
Of your options...The Witness.

Whoops... wrong pistol... Polymer Witness.. :eek:

Taurus 24/7 then.

- Taurus PT 24/7 $330 (http://www.impactguns.com/store/725327602033.html)

obxned
October 3, 2007, 07:18 PM
I went through the process of choosing a new .45 last fall (up to $1200), and after handling and firing most of the .45 available, I bought the Ruger KP345DPR.

I'm normally a 1911 man, but for CC I prefer the first round double action rather than carrying cocked and locked. Yes, I know it is safe, but I've always been a bit uncomfortable with it.

The P345 is about the same size and weight as a Colt Light Weight Commander, an excellent gun that I carried for many years, but with the polymer frame and stainless slide it is much more corrosion resistant. I have the 'decock only' model, where the safety lever on the slide drops the hammer and returns to the ready position. This is just as safe as a revolver; a long pull on the trigger fires the first round, and then it functions the same as any regular semi-auto.

That initial double action pull is surprisingly smooth after the first 100 rounds or so. I can shoot very nearly as tight a group double action as in normal single action shooting. The P345's double action triggering is better than many of the big name double actions revolvers I have owned or shot. The transition from the first double action shot to the following single action is something you would be quite used to after a couple of boxes worth of range work.

The gun will feed anything that passes for 45ACP, even empty cases. Accuracy is actually slightly better than the LW Commanders I have owned.

Back in the 70's when I was customizing the available 1911's, I wrote out a list of features I wanted in my 'wish' gun. The P345 fits that list except it is not as accurate as a Gold Cup.

With concealed carry in mind, the gun has been steamlined. All controls and the sights are low profile and designed for a snag-free draw. I usually fire 230g +P ammo since I use this gun both for SD and in the field where shots could be longish and the target a bear or a hog with bad intent. This gun, probably due to the polymer frame, seems to suck up the recoil.

If in spite of all this, if you do not choose a Ruger P345, then go with the Witness!

crebralfix
October 3, 2007, 11:15 PM
SMITH & WESSON 4566 45ACP WITH NIGHT SIGHTS: $379
Smith & Wesson 45 Tactical: $415
SIG P220R: $535

TokyoShapiro
October 4, 2007, 10:19 AM
witness 45 or the ruger 345. both will do the job and they wont break the 400$ mark.

jefnvk
October 4, 2007, 11:12 AM
I gotta second quick draw on Hi-Point's customer service. Bought a carbine used missing some pieces, they sent them to me overnight, despite the fact that I bought it that way. QUALITY customer service.

However, I'll also second the recommendation on a 1911.

And I'll second the recommendation on 45 being an expensive gun to shoot. My first pistol was a 45, and a .22 followed very closely behind.

BigMak
October 6, 2007, 08:39 PM
bakert,

Thank you for the pic of the RIA vs. a P97DC.

This helped me a lot!

BigMak

tbtrout
October 6, 2007, 09:50 PM
EAA Witness out of your selections.

modifiedbrowning
October 6, 2007, 10:37 PM
Bersa Thunder .45
www.bersafirearmsusa.com
www.bersatalk.com

Surefire
October 6, 2007, 11:20 PM
I'd recommend

Springfield XD45
Ruger P90
Glock 21

Dynasty
October 7, 2007, 01:46 AM
I will look into the Rock Island 1911 because based on how my friend's Springfield 1911 shot. I'm guessing there will be a big quality difference between the two, but still should shoot close to the same based on the design of the 1911?

chaim
October 9, 2007, 02:52 AM
First I suggest getting to a range that rents guns and trying a lot of guns. A two gun sample is too small to figure much out. It is very possible what you liked were the platforms, or the combination of platform and caliber, and not just the caliber. If this is the case, you may get something else in that caliber and be very disappointed. Or you may like the caliber. You won't really know until you try other guns.

There are a few good guns in the ~$400 price range, but not many good .45s. If you like a bigger caliber, try the .40S&W, if you like it you will open up many more options.

As for your stated choices, I wouldn't necessarily suggest any of them (I don't know enough about the Witness to comment about it).

Hi Points can be reliable, but they are cheap guns with poor ergonomics. Fine for just for the heck of it after buying other guns, or if you can't afford anything else. As an only gun when you can swing something else, I wouldn't suggest it.

If you want a Ruger .45ACP get the P/KP90 or the discontinued P97. For my evaluation of the KP345 see my next post (I edited it out to make this post more managable).

I love Taurus. I think the 24/7 is a great design. If you were looking for a 9mm or a .40 I'd endorse this one. However, they have had some issues with the 24/7 in .45ACP (it seems that nearly all of the problems I've ever heard of with this pistol were .45ACP). If you want a .45 and a Taurus, check out the PT945. The PT1911 may be a little more than you want to spend, but if you see one near your limit, grab it.

The Glock? Nothing wrong with it, but it is far over your limit. If you'll change your limit for the Glock, there are a lot of other guns you should consider.

My suggestion if after trying some other guns you still want a .45ACP:

-Consider used guns. That may put some S&Ws, SIGs, Glocks, Springfields, Kimbers and other higher quality brands in your price range.

-Rock Island Armory 1911. I don't have one but I hear a lot of praise for it.

-Charles Daly 1911. They can be hit or miss, but I am well over 10K rounds through mine and through most of its life it has been reliable enough to load up as my bedside gun on occasion (when the reliablity goes down, all it has needed so far was new springs).

-As I said above: Ruger P90, Ruger P97 (used only), Taurus PT945 (though make sure it fits your hand) and Taurus PT1911 (if you can find one in your price range)

chaim
October 9, 2007, 03:01 AM
OK, as to the Ruger KP345:

Rugers generally have great reputations. I suspect many of the KP345 votes are from people who know Ruger from reputation (or own other Rugers) but don't own the KP345. There are of course happy owners, but this is a risky gun. There were some design flaws (a weak mag disconnect that can make the gun inoperable if ever dry fired without the mag inserted for one) and if you look around the web (check the Ruger forum on Unitedforums) you will see quite a few people with problems.

I had one that I really wanted to like. My first auto was a Ruger (so I wanted one for nostalgic reasons), but now I find them too boxy. The new KP345 was a departure for Ruger, a very nice, ergonomic design. I love .45ACP. Ruger has a stellar rep for reliability. Then I bought one- nothing but trouble. Many failures to feed, failures to eject, failures to go into battery. Some range trips I couldn't even get one mag through the gun without a problem. Some of the problems involved the gun jamming so completely (it wouldn't go into battery, then the slide wouldn't budge one way or another) that it took a lot of force to finally unjam it- this occured about once every range trip or two. Then I started seeing a lot of other people on the web with similar issues. I sold mine after getting it semi-reliable (finally- only took about a year and a half).

I hope they've ironed out their issues, but the rumor was that they did about the time I bought mine.

possum
October 9, 2007, 03:17 PM
first and foremost look at the xd line up they pack 13 rds in a pretty nice sized package even for me with small hands.

i like glock i do but nothing other than thier 9mm models, i can not stand thier .45 caliber models. so i would say no to that.

i like my ruger p345 it is a nice gun and very very accurate the most accurate gun i have owned as a matter of fact. they are easy on the budget too. i got mine for $369 plus tax.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking of a .45 but need opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!