Is your CCW the same as your HD gun?

PDA

MPanova
October 1, 2007, 03:53 AM
This question was inspired by another poll about +1 in your HD gun. As I stated in that post I keep my HD gun at max capacity +1 as it is also my CCW. I take it off before bed and pit it on in the morning so its always loaded 12+1 , It is a 24/7 Pro 45.

How many people use the CCW as there HD gun?

If you use 2 different weapons let us know what they are and why you chose to use different ones or why you choose to use the same one.

I use the same one because my 24/7 has never failed me in over 1000 rounds of SD ammo and It is the gun I am most accurate with.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is your CCW the same as your HD gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Guitargod1985
October 1, 2007, 04:50 AM
My regular concealed carry guns are for just that: concealment. They are an HK P2000sk (9x19), a Taurus 605 (.357 mag), and a Sig P229 (.40 S&W). Concealment needs and attire will dictate which one I carry at any particular time.

In my own home I keep a 12 ga Mossberg at the ready because I don't have to worry who sees it. It's preferable to me to use a more powerful gun when I can get away with it. I also have a Ruger P90 as a backup. If things get completely out of hand, there's always a couple of Kalashnikovs as a last resort. But I would never use one in an apartment setting unless I were in some trouble so serious that a shotgun wouln't solve it.

Having said that, I can see how someone with a concealed weapon license and only one gun would use the same one for both purposes, but if you have a shotgun, that's the REAL home defense weapon.

Zen21Tao
October 1, 2007, 05:39 AM
HD and Carry have very different characteristics. First of all, I find my 9mm AR carbine and Winchester defender 12 gauge shotgun to be much better HD choices than a handgun. These would hardly work as CCW firearms.

But, when it comes to a handgun within my reach for HD, I prefer the fullsize double stack HK USP or fullsize double stack Para Ordnance Tac-4. However, when it comes to CCW, I prefer one of my compact single stack pistols (Sig P239, Sig P245, Para Carry 6.45, Kahr PM40, etc.) as this reduces printing through my clothing.

kframe357
October 1, 2007, 07:00 AM
For carry I use a Para CCW .45, commander length single stack, very easy to "hide".
For HD I use a Sig P229 .40, it has night sights and a hi-cap mag. It is a little larger (harder to "hide") and my wife (who doesn't enjoy shooting) can use it easily (no safety and night sights). That being said, I'll use a potato gun if that's all I can reach :evil:.

Steelharp
October 1, 2007, 11:00 AM
Pretty much the same. G17 at home (with an 870, as well), G19 for CCW.

glockman19
October 1, 2007, 11:28 AM
I have smaller guns for CCW including a Glock 26, S&W 442 & 642, and a Ultra Kimber. I do use them as HD guns also but my main HD guns are Glock 19, S&W 686 & 629, Kimber full size 1911's and a Beretta 97. in addition so shotguns, & CQB rifles.

The Bushmaster
October 1, 2007, 11:34 AM
I have a S&W mod 10 in each of the night stands next to the bed. Carry piece is loaded and in the Gun/reloading Room.

Black Majik
October 1, 2007, 12:16 PM
Well, both are HKs.

CCW: P2000 9mm V3 DA/SA
HD: USP .45 fullsize w/ Surefire X200A

waterhouse
October 1, 2007, 12:42 PM
I use different ones. My carry gun is small and flat and easily concealable. My HD pistol is a full size gun with a light on it.

308win
October 1, 2007, 12:50 PM
My carry weapon is easily concealed. My HD weapons are an 870HD and a Colt 1991A1. The Colt could be concealed in a pinch with the right gear but then I wouldn't have a reason for another gun.

I know, I know - who needs reasons!

mavracer
October 1, 2007, 01:14 PM
full size 1911 for home.Tauri 605/905, S&W 442, HK p7psp,AMT backup 45 and seecamp for carry( no not all at once)

Landric
October 1, 2007, 01:22 PM
My home defense handgun is a Beretta M9A1 with Trijicons and a Streamlight M-3. My primary CCW handgun is a Beretta 92D Type M Compact. Basically the same function (with the exception of being DAO) as the M9A1, but smaller and lighter. I have been known to carry a full size 92FS concealed from time to time, but the M9A1 with the rail is too bulky for that in my opinion. I have other CCW guns as well, but the Type M is what I carry the most.

hceptj
October 1, 2007, 01:28 PM
different...home is ruger sp101 .357 (wife) and glock g30 (me)...ccw varies depending on my mood...

Robert Hairless
October 1, 2007, 01:44 PM
Nope. Usually a shotgun for home defense and a Glock for carry. If someone figures out a way to pocket carry a Benelli M1 Super 90, though, the Glocks are history.

Jimmie
October 1, 2007, 01:49 PM
One is a 6", the other's a snubbie. While the snubbie could fill both roles, each is more fitting in one role. The 6" might be replaced by a 12ga - still trying to figure that one out.

MJZZZ
October 1, 2007, 02:02 PM
I used to use my 8+1 shot full sized 1911 for HD and have switched to a CZ 75B Compact with 14+1. I get way better shot placement on my follow up shots, it just makes sense to go with the CZ. Now my carry gun in cooler weather is the Kimber Ultra CDP II, lighter clothing will see the Kel Tec PF 9 after I get it broken in. Mike

StrikeEagle
October 1, 2007, 02:05 PM
Same. Colt Combat Commander with Seecamp DA conversion.

It's been my main carry gun for 35 years, and it's an old friend. At night it's closeby while I sleep.

2sigs
October 1, 2007, 02:18 PM
I've grown fond of my P239 9mm and it is near the maglight which lights the dial which opens the vault which opens the chioces considerably, all within the same 2 footsteps...

-2sigs

RandomMan
October 1, 2007, 02:22 PM
Same.

In the morning I decide which gun I will carry based on the weather and clothing needs. After that I get "dressed" and then in the evening when I go to bed my concealed gun for the day serves nightstand duty through the night. Lately, it's a Ruger GP100 4", it could also be a 4" S&W 64, or my Colt Agent.

-Rob

Cannonball888
October 1, 2007, 02:36 PM
My CCWs are either P3AT, S&W 340PD, or SA LW 1911 depending on what I'm wearing. My HD nightstand gun is a S&W M&P 40 to fight my way to a gun safe containing assorted loaded longarms (11-87, AR, AK, M1A, SKS)

apollosmith
October 1, 2007, 03:20 PM
I have a Beretta 92FS in my bed-side Gunvault at all times. That way my wife can get to it when I'm gone. Before climbing into bed, my XD subcompact goes from my holster to my safe with my Beretta. I have a Beretta shotgun in the closet and an assortment of hunting rifles downstairs. I'm never more than a few seconds from a gun.

But, my CCW is the gun I'd grab first at night.

mljdeckard
October 1, 2007, 03:44 PM
Yes and no.

My primary HD weapon is a Remington 870 loaded with #4 buck. My backup is an M-1 carbine, intended primarily for my wife. I believe that whenever possible, your first option should be a long gun. When I am out of the PDRK and back into a pickup in which my kids won't be riding behind the driver's seat, I will always have an SKS handy.

As for which handgun I keep in the house, yes it is the same one I carry. I feel that most of the emphasis on 'carry guns' is hyped by the magazines and an industry that has found a new market of people with a newfound option of concealing handguns, and therefore wants to convince us that no matter what handgun works best for you, you must get the chopped double-stack version for carry or you will never be comfortable and never be able to keep it concealed. My 12 years of CCW experience has shown this to be false. Use the gun that works best for you, REGARDLESS OF SIZE.

ArchAngelCD
October 1, 2007, 04:16 PM
S&W M638 for SD and a 12 ga shotgun for HD.

3fgburner
October 1, 2007, 05:13 PM
Mossberg 500 for HD, one of the assorted 9x18s plus a P3AT for CCW.

James NM
October 1, 2007, 06:41 PM
dbl post - computer froze:cuss:

James NM
October 1, 2007, 06:54 PM
My CCW (9mm or 40 S&W) always becomes my night stand gun, and thus my first HD gun. Given enough time, the 12 gauge well hidden in the house becomes my HD gun. Given enough time to access the safe, the black guns come out to play.

I guess I'm too lazy to take guns out of the safe every night and then put them up every morning.

But I do have two extra layers of security:
1). A Chihuahua for early warning detection, and
2). A very aggressive and protective 60 Lb mixed breed.

Except for the most professional home invaders, I think I'm in good shape.

Cougfan2
October 1, 2007, 07:02 PM
Sometimes. My Springer .45 is my usual HD gun and I mostly carry my Sig P232 .380. I do sometimes carry the Springer when I am wearing a coat that helps conceal it better.

AZ_Rebel
October 1, 2007, 07:46 PM
Like quite a few replies my CCW and HD guns are different - a 1911 .45ACP for CCW, a Rem 870 12Ga and a Win 94 .30-30 GPR for HD. Jeff Cooper told us that - given options - you never "go get" your pistol. You "go get" a better weapon. A handgun's main forte is its size and the ability to be with you at all times, but at the expense of stopping power, control and accuracy. A HD gun should be chosen on where and how you live. Short ranges to 20 yds and thin walls would indicate a shotgun with #7 1/2birdshot. Medium Ranges to 75yds could indicate 00 Buck or Slug. Longer ranges would call for a rifle. For most purposes - and a number of previous posts agree - the Shotgun is best suited as a HD weapon. It is (relatively) cheap, easily obtainable, great variety of ammunition choices, fast and has stopping power second to none.

Jkwas
October 1, 2007, 08:11 PM
I use a Keltec for CCW and a 357 snub for the night stand.

wally
October 1, 2007, 08:13 PM
Need a third option. The bedside handgun is just to give me piece of mind on the way to the 12ga. Usually its a full sized .45ACP 1911 or XD45 with laser, but if I'm home late or too lazy to open the safe, my CCW will do.

--wally.

ShooterMcGavin
October 1, 2007, 08:37 PM
Since I just bought a small CCW-specific gun, I said they were different. Right now, the new gun is not ready to rely on for carry yet, so one of my guns does CCW and HD.

420Stainless
October 1, 2007, 09:00 PM
Only if I didn't have time to get to the shotgun.

Zeke Menuar
October 2, 2007, 12:54 AM
Nope

AR-15 for HD. XD45 Service or LW Commander for carry.

ZM

elkhuntingfool
October 2, 2007, 01:26 PM
Same for me PT145. Goes from my pants to the shelf

Landlocked Pirate
October 2, 2007, 03:11 PM
Glock 17 and Taurus five-shot .357 for carry, S&W models 66 and 65 stashed around the house to supplement the 870 for HD (although they're all excellent carry guns).

Anna's Dad
October 2, 2007, 03:26 PM
I pocket carry a Kel-Tec P-32. I think that it is obvious why that isn't my HD gun.

I don't carry a larger gun as I wear shorts and a t-shirt pretty much every day and find anything other than pocket carry to be very uncomfortable.

There have been a couple of rare occasions where I have carried a larger gun (M&P 9mm or Ruger P345) but its very unusual. The Ruger is my HD gun, BTW.

texas bulldog
October 2, 2007, 03:45 PM
i use a 2.25" SP101 for carry, as i can conceal it with almost any of my normal clothing choices.

at home, i don't have to worry about concealment, so i have a 12 gauge coach gun next to the bed. this may eventually get replaced by a pump action for increased capacity. but for now, i use what i have.

i also have another .357 magnum loaded for backup, but again i opt for a larger weapon than my carry piece. i keep a 6" S&W 586 within arm's reach. the grip is more comfortable, it carries an extra round, and i am a bit more accurate with it than the ruger.

revjen45
October 2, 2007, 07:45 PM
Mr. Steyr has grown to my body. Other things are available if needed and I can get to them. A handgun is for fighting your way to your long gun.

Ala Dan
October 2, 2007, 08:43 PM
I chose "different", as normally I carry a 3" Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry, backed by a KEL-TEC P3AT .380 or a Seecamp LWS-32.

Home D' is either a West German SIG -SAUER .45 caliber P220A, or an XD-F
.45 ACP (service model) from Springfield Armory. The Springer is equipped
with Tru-Glo TFO sights, and a Streamlight TLR-1. :scrutiny:;):D

jaholder1971
October 2, 2007, 09:38 PM
My HD gun is my late father's S&W Model 65 3" barrel loaded with Remington 125 grain JHP's. It was my father's carry piece when he was a Topeka PD Sergeant. It and the original Roy Baker Pancake holster Dad used are now in semi-retirement pulling home security duty.

ironvic
October 2, 2007, 10:05 PM
I carry a Smith & Wesson 686 Plus with 2 1/2" barrel and extra rounds in a Bianchi Speed Strip. For HD, I use a SIG P-226 in 9mm. There's also a short barrelled Remington 870 (very nice police trade-in) lurking nearby, but the SIG usually gets the nod at home.

Phydeaux642
October 2, 2007, 10:22 PM
I carry a S&W 642 and put it in the nightstand when I go to bed.

"Phydeaux, bad dog....no biscuit!"

swingpress
October 2, 2007, 10:26 PM
My CCW is most often a snubby. When I'm not working I sometimes carry something bigger.

For the first line of home defense I most often keep one of the .45s I use in competition nearby. Since I use them often, I am quite comfortable with both of them. One of these is modified enough to raise eyebrows if it were ever to be examined, but I feel on pretty safe turf with it inside my home. I would hate to loose it to an evidence locker, but if it's the most likely candidate to stop a threat, so be it.

If an assault lasts long enough, I'll be fetching the loaded 870 from the safe in my bedroom.

yongxingfreesty
October 2, 2007, 10:29 PM
carry: g27/642
hd:glock 17

VHinch
October 2, 2007, 10:41 PM
They didn't used to be, but now that I have a child around the house I have made a change. Now all the firearms are secured except mine and wife's carry guns. At bed time CCW goes to nightstand then back in the holster in the morning.

Geno
October 2, 2007, 10:47 PM
In terms of the CCW pistols, and day-time pistols, yes. But at night, I also take out the Rem 870 Tactical to keep at hand. That is the primary HD weapon at night, and the CCW/HD pistols then take second seat.

Tifosi
October 2, 2007, 10:56 PM
CCW - depends on season and attire either S&W 340PD .357
or Sig P239SAS .40

HD - keep a Kimber 5" 1911, cocked and locked in the nightstand.

Glockman30
October 2, 2007, 11:52 PM
CCW-Keltec p3at and a Glock 27
HD-Glock 30 in my bedside stand to use while I am on my way to the closet for the Remington 870 loaded with buckshot.

Autolycus
October 3, 2007, 12:04 AM
The shotgun is my home defense weapon. I cant CCW here but if I could it would be an HK P2000sk or a Sig 228.

Walkalong
October 3, 2007, 09:21 AM
Pistol, yes, but I also have a loaded Mini 14 ready to go.

Black Adder LXX
October 3, 2007, 12:03 PM
I use a GP100 4" for HD.

SammyIamToday
October 3, 2007, 01:20 PM
Voted same. Glock 23, but I'd be pretty apt to use the pistol to fight to my AK if I was in the house. Would depend on the situation though.

HungSquirrel
October 3, 2007, 10:00 PM
At the moment, they are the same. I am poor and cannot afford to expand my options. My carry gun hits my nightstand every night, then goes back on my waist in the morning.

I hope to rectify this when I get a decent-paying job.

madcratebuilder
October 4, 2007, 10:30 AM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/870-1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/PICT0001Medium-1.jpg
One is for ccw, the other is HD, you figure it out.:)

HungSquirrel
October 4, 2007, 02:50 PM
I would personally conceal the shotty. ;)

Pilot
October 4, 2007, 02:59 PM
They're not the same but similar. CZ-75D PCR (compact, alloy framed) for CCW and a full size CZ-75B for home.

Exmasonite
October 4, 2007, 07:21 PM
I do rotate a little bit...

I have 2 guns that i keep out most of the time:

- Bersa .380
- Springfield XD 9 SC w/ NS

They live in a small keypad safe next to the bed. All other guns are downstairs in gun safe in closet (i know, just couldn't find a way to get the gun safe upstairs)
Depending on weather and dress, i will carry one or the other. I like having 2 out to give the wife the other if i have to go investigate something.
Only difference is that I usually carry 10+1 in the XD with the 15 rd as the back up. Once at home, i go 15+1 since concealment isn't an issue.

9/10 times i'm reaching for the XD and leaving my wife w/ the bersa.

But i just picked up a Sig P220 w/ NS and crimson trace that will probably become the HD gun once i get her broken in and running right.

Choclabman
October 6, 2007, 04:02 PM
Different.

CCW
HK P2000 .40S&W

HD
870 and a HK USP .40F V3

LaVere
October 6, 2007, 05:30 PM
I marked different because I have two other guns at home. A 1911 and a sig p229 both are ready to go and they generally stay at home in key locations. But then I carry a Kahr K40 for CCW when I get home I place the Kahr in a third location this gives me 3 ready to go with the sig the closest.

MCgunner
October 6, 2007, 06:13 PM
One in the same, except for the shotgun I have next to the bed.

Mortech
October 6, 2007, 06:54 PM
I'm using a XD40 Tactical for HD backed up with my WSAR-10 as my SHTF carbine , my CCW alternates between my M&P 40 or my S&W 3913 depending on weather .

S&Wfan
October 6, 2007, 07:06 PM
CCW:
1. Mainly a Kimber Ultra CDP .45 auto
2. If dressed really casually, a S&W Model 36
3. If in gym-type shorts, mowing the lawn, etc., a Kel-Tec P32

Home Defense:
1. Ithaca 12 ga. DSPS Police Special pump
2. At the bed . . . the Kimber Ultra CDP or my S&W 25-2 w/chopped barrel (both in .45ACP)
3. In the pocket . . . the Model 36

modifiedbrowning
October 6, 2007, 08:00 PM
Well, my CCW is one of my HD guns as it is usually on me or close at hand when at home. There is also the Winchester 1300 Defender and Bushmaster Dissipator as well as the P99 in the bedroom.

camslam
October 7, 2007, 12:09 AM
Glock 30 for carry.

Glock 21 with M6 tac light/laser and 12 gauge with tac light for home defense.

chaim
October 7, 2007, 03:05 AM
I live in MD so I don't carry CCW often (only out of state). However, my HD handguns are primarily carry guns. In fact, when I just moved the last gun packed and first gun unpacked was a S&W 442.

My mode of employing my home defense handguns is to carry them (primarily a S&W 442 in my pocket or an NAA Guardian in my pocket and/or a Taurus 85CH, Taurus MP140 Millennium Pro, .40S&W SIG 229 or S&W 1911SC all IWB usually tucked). This does two things:
1) The gun is on my person. Should someone break into my apartment while I'm here, either door (the back sliding glass door or front door) will bring you right into the living room within feet of where I probably will be. I doubt I'd get to the bedroom for my shotgun or carbine or even get to a stashed full-sized service pistol or revolver somewhere before I'd need it.
2) I could open carry for the same effect and use a bigger gun, however, I prefer concealed even at home. I don't have to worry about spooking someone who may knock on the door (UPS guy, USPS, salesman, neighbor, a friend on a surprise visit). Further (related to above) I don't have to worry about nuisance police visits after scaring someone who I opened the door for after they saw the gun and called the police (face it, many people are idiots, or conditioned from the media, and think that guns are/should be illegal except for hunting). It also doesn't alert someone that I own guns who may know someone who may want a shopping list. Finally, it doesn't bother my roommate (he doesn't have a problem with my guns and eventually wants one himself, but I think he prefers "out of sight out of mind" when it comes to carrying around the apartment).

I'll often have something bigger (a full-sized 1911, CZ 75B, SIG 226, K-frame .357mag, S&W 57, etc.) loaded up in my bedroom. It may be closer than the shotgun and it is somewhere convenient (it is just as easy to put it someplace convenient to where I sleep as it is the smaller carry gun). However, I don't always do this (convenience of just having one or two ready guns at a time, plus these carry guns are all in capable calibers and configurations for HD except maybe the Guardian), and often the shotgun is just as easy to get to at that point.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is your CCW the same as your HD gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!