Night Sites for Kahr MK9

PDA

stretcharmstrong
January 9, 2003, 02:57 PM
I posted this as well at TFR...sorry to make some of you read it twice.

After doing a lengthy search on TFL on this topic, I have narrowed my choices to 2 w/a couple good alternates. I bought the mk9 because it is a very concealable gun that handles a large rnd for its size and is fun to shoot at the range especially compared to some light wgt snubs. I can easily fire 200 rnds+ thru this little guy at one session and not have to glue my hand/wrist back together.

The qualities I am looking for are:
63% Close Combat quick aquisition day and night
35% Range accurate, must perform well in light conditions too (I love to shoot)
2% Price/Value (I am willing to pay extra for quality and desired function w/o getting completely bent over)

With this in mind, this is my current list of contenders (not neccessarily in order of contention):

1. AO (XS) 24/7 Standard size Express nite sights (possibly "Big Dot")
2. Heinie Slant Pro Straight Eight night sights

Alternates:
Novak, MMC,???

Many others I am not considering because their daylight properties are poor because the tritium dots appear black in the light. Some others such as Meprolite and P-T I have heard some good and some negatives about...i'd rather pay more than take a chance w/these.

What are your opinions based on this criterium and any others I should consider?

edit: Yes, I understand to use a flash light as well to know what I am shooting at. Do not fire until you know who/what it is you are firing at.

If you enjoyed reading about "Night Sites for Kahr MK9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dinosaur
January 9, 2003, 03:41 PM
Another option is send it to Kahr and have theirs installed.

denfoote
January 9, 2003, 04:10 PM
My MK9 came with factory NS. I'm not sure who made them , but they are functional and bright. As touching the subject of aftermarket sights, I have always relied on Trijicon. :)

stretcharmstrong
January 9, 2003, 04:43 PM
Several of the night sight company's use trijicon inserts, which I hear are very bright compared to some others and last a long time. I have heard that the dots in the sites trijicon puts out can be hard to see in the day time....is this true? Daytime site picture is as important to me as low light.

Michigun
January 10, 2003, 10:20 AM
stretcharmstrong, all the Kahr's I've seen with factory installed night sights have had Trijicon. I put a set of Meps on my K9 & find them of good quality. I have several handguns with Trijicon inserts in them & find my 2 handguns with Meps to be much brighter. However, I like the way Trijicons are secured in the sight better then they are in the Meps. Apples & oranges though, because both glow more then enough for low light shooting & both seem to have a good track record.

I have to say, if you're relaying on "dots" for a correct "sight picture", you aren't looking in the right place. For a correct "sight picture" you need to be looking for the "day light" on either side of the front post when looking though the rear notch. Concentration should be given to the front sight during shooting. Ever notice that your "high end" combat sights from Novak, Hinnie & Slant-Pro are of the plain, flat black type? You'll find no "white things" on either on them, at least you won't from their originators.

Some praise the "white ring" around the Mep night sights... I'm just glad they aren't distracting.

1st thing I did to my new PM9 was to remove the white on both the rear & front sight. I find it to speed things up a bit while waiting for it's set of Meps. I going with Meps to keep things the same between all my Kahr's. I wish that Kahr hadn't recessed out the places that they painted white on the factory sights; I find them distracting. It's still better then the white though & it'll get me by.

Most of your "high dollar" sights are reached more for their extra manufacturing costs for their "no snag" lines. Quantity sold & them being considered a "custom accessory" also helps with their added cost, I'd imagine. I do like those sights, but don't find them a necessity personally.

I've found that AO "Big Dots" are pretty good for close up work, but really inhibit longer ranged stuff. Seeing how that was a concern of yours, I'd shy away from them & do myself.

Kahr carrier
January 10, 2003, 10:25 AM
I prefer Trijicons myself ,I think Kahr installs Trijicon as a factory option.:)

Michigun
January 10, 2003, 10:30 AM
Kahr carrier, for an over-all, no frills night sight, I also prefer Trijicons... but the cost savings you get with the Meps does make them pretty tempting....... ;)

PCRCCW
January 11, 2003, 11:44 AM
If you wander over to Kahrs Website...they offer EVERYBLOODYTHING you could want for nights....Trij, Meps, AO etc....Ive had killer luck with trij....and Meps....prefer the Novak LowMount style..with trij inserts.....very nice.
Shoot well

If you enjoyed reading about "Night Sites for Kahr MK9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!