New shooters

PDA

Blackfork
October 2, 2007, 08:43 PM
Took the local neighborhood 14 year old to the TSRA Garand Championship. He's being raised by his sisters and mom so an all-guy weekend is a rare thing.

He's a lefty.

I had him shoot the 30 shot course of fire three times over the weekend from the 200 yard line. The last two times I gave him the scope so he could watch his own shots. On the Temple Range you can see your bullet holes at 200. They hang white sheets behind the targets.

River Valley Ordnance included some 55 military pulled bullets with my last case order so he was shooting them. I'm just coaching safety, sight picture and proper trigger technique. He shot in the 280's prone off a rest every time. I wanted him to get used to the range commands before I start working him in position. He's run targets at the Highpower Championship and can score and paste bullet holes.

We stayed at the match director, Ken Gaby's house. You can shake a little corn in a coffee can at Kens and the deer come sprinting in. Very entertaining for 14 year olds. Ken shot a blackpowder record elk last month so there were all the fresh elk steaks you could eat. 14 year olds will eat all the steaks you flip to them, then pass out with a toothpick in their mouth on the couch.

He IM-ed my girlfriend today- got hurt in football practice. Why parents let their kids play football is beyond me. Better to let them shoot assault rifles all day so they will be doing something safe.

Some 11 year old named Ben was there. Ben shot Garand, 1903 and Carbine, all from position. Very impressive. He was there with his dad.

If this kid doesn't screw something up I am taking him AND his buddy to the Service Rifle Championship next month. We put everyone up in the barracks at Camp Swift so it's cheap. I don't think I am going to let them shoot but they can help in the pits and on the line. I'm going to be too busy shooting to worry with coaching them.

Take a kid out shooting. Good for everyone. In our lifetimes, it will be a felony and you can look at the photos and remember when.

If you enjoyed reading about "New shooters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArfinGreebly
October 3, 2007, 12:57 AM
Glad you're bringing in a youngster.

You know, of course, that denying a kid the opportunity to shoot while young is child abuse.

Save the children. Take them shooting.

Black Adder LXX
October 3, 2007, 11:56 AM
Why parents let their kids play football is beyond me. Better to let them shoot assault rifles all day so they will be doing something safe.

LOL..

Nicely done... I love introducing people to firearms safely...

kingpin008
October 3, 2007, 12:38 PM
He IM-ed my girlfriend today- got hurt in football practice.

:what::what:

Man, you better watch that boy! He's growin' up quick. Plays football, knows his way around a gun, takes down elk steaks like they're going outta style - I'm telling ya - keep and eye on that one.

:neener::neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "New shooters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!