Revolver question

PDA

SHOTGUNJOE
October 3, 2007, 01:31 PM
For a pistol - my dream gun has always been a Smith & Wesson .357 mag. After comparing prices I've realized Taurus is lower in price w/ a limited lifetime warranty & Rossi is even lower in price.

Is Taurus and/or Rossi as good as Smith & Wesson in dependability, qaulity, & longevity.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolver question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hokkmike
October 3, 2007, 01:57 PM
Just my opinion, Taurus YES, Rossi NO.

If I were you I would save up and get the gun you really want.

highfive
October 3, 2007, 01:57 PM
I own a Taurus revolver and a Rossi also and I have never had any problems with them. The Taurus one is the one I carry 90% of the time. I love that thing...happy hunting

glockman19
October 3, 2007, 02:00 PM
NO. Pay more and get the S&W. If you want a cheper revolver get a Ruger. Otherwise there are two manufacturers I'll never buy from. Taurus & Rossi.

You get what you pay for.

I'd rather pay for quality & reliability.

Also, Buy USA

Deer Hunter
October 3, 2007, 02:05 PM
S&W, based on the trigger alone.

rcmodel
October 3, 2007, 02:17 PM
S&W!
Especially the older ones with the hammer mounted firing pin.
Taurus & especially Rossi are not even close to being in the same ballpark!

You can find an older used S&W in great condition, and pay much less for it then a brand new Taurus wanna-be!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

cpirtle
October 3, 2007, 02:33 PM
I've owned all in question and it's the Smith hands down.

If you're worried about money find yourself a nice used model 10 (or something like that) and never look back. You can get a nice used S&W for $300 +/- and it will run circles around almost anything made today.

If you want to buy new still get the Smith, I think (for the most part) their new guns are every bit as functional as their older counterparts, with just a slightly lower degree of fit and finish.

Smith also has a lifetime warranty but they match that with one of the best service histories in the business. Taurus offers a lifetime warranty and has a terrible service record for following through on it.

JMHO

Wild Deuce
October 3, 2007, 02:39 PM
be patient, save the money and get a Ruger or an older S&W ....

Two reputable gunsmiths don't recommend Taurus.

Read:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/no_taurus_work.html

http://standeyo.com/News_Files/Firearms/Firearms_4women.html

Previously discussed:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-175909.html

I own a S&W 340PD that cracked the alloy frame with less than 30 full power rounds and under 100 .38 special rounds. S&W did replace the gun. I also own three Rugers (Super Redhawk and two GP100s) ... go with Ruger (GP100 or SP101)

Gunbabe
October 3, 2007, 02:43 PM
My husband and I own three Taurus handguns each and he has the .357. He loves it and we have never had any problems with any of them. I don't understand the ppl that won't even give them a chance. It's your money but I would recommend the Taurus. He just bought the Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum. It's a beauty.

SHOTGUNJOE
October 3, 2007, 02:52 PM
Thank you all for your valuable input. I love this forum which my friend turned me onto.

Think I'm already hooked.

wheelgunner1911
October 3, 2007, 02:57 PM
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc112/wheelgunner1911/pre-28-1.jpgIf you want a really good 357 search around and get a mod28
thay are built on the heavy N-frame and will last 10 times longer than a taurus. and thay can be found fairlly cheap

40SW
October 3, 2007, 02:58 PM
Several facts first.
1. Taurus now owns Rossi. ,but obviously different platforms in many respects.
2. Taurus makes good quality firearms for the money, but their customer service department sucks.

Having said that.
I own several Taurus autos and revolvers and love both, they are obviously not Smiths and Rugers, but for the money, I am not complaining.

warriorsociologist
October 3, 2007, 03:06 PM
Cry once now (when you open your wallet a little wider) or, inevitably, cry a lot more later...when you sell the T or R at a loss and end up buying the S&W you really wanted in the first place. :)

10-Ring
October 3, 2007, 03:41 PM
From my experience -- NO.
As has been mentioned, you will get what you pay for ;)

Mr. Designer
October 3, 2007, 03:56 PM
Get a S&W.

Bearhands
October 3, 2007, 04:16 PM
Absolutely.... S&W or Ruger..... you wont regret either purchase

cpirtle
October 3, 2007, 04:22 PM
Gunbabe, I don't know how many of the people in this thread are dismissing Taurus without having experience with them. I have owned at least 5 Taurus/Rossi wheel guns and a few Taurus semi's. (still have a PT1911 and an 85)

Customer service aside (honestly, there's no comparison there), the comparison is like a Timex to an Omega.

S&W's generally run like glass very consistantly across the board with the occasional dud. Taurus can be all over the place with their action.

In my experience, cylinder lock-up & timing is much better and more consistant with S&W. I have also not had a Smith go out of time, but I did on a Taurus (twice). Not to say it does not happen but it's never happened to me and I've got a lot of Smiths and have shot them a heck of a lot more than my Taurus.

With that said, I think the Taurus is an okay gun for someone who's not willing to spend more and wants to buy new. Someone who sees the value in a Smith & is willing to lay down the money for one that is considering a compromise to save a few $$ will never be satisfied.

I live about 40 minutes from Canton and have 24/7 access to my gun club, if you ever want to do a real world, side by side comparison let me know. I'll bring 5 or 6 Smiths and you & your husband can shoot them. I never need an excuse to go shoot :)

I have a factory 19 that's never been worked on, dates back to 1967 and will drop the jaw on just about anyone who shoots it.

Zebraranger
October 3, 2007, 05:04 PM
Definitely go with the Ruger or Smith & Wesson, they will out last the Taurus or Rossi, and resale value will hold well. You probably would not have a problem if its not used very often. But if you use it on a regular basis, say for instance regular use at the range and repeated firing, Ruger and Smiths will hold up, the other two most likely will experience failure. Price comparison between Smiths & Ruger....Ruger's have the better price.
Good luck

CU74
October 3, 2007, 10:55 PM
I have Smiths, Colts and Rugers. I have no desire to own a Taurus or a Rossi, (or any other "second tier" revolver) nor do I buy new Smiths. In my opinion, the older Smiths and Colts are the best revolvers, quality throughout and excellent Company support. The Rugers are a bit less "finished" but are tough as nails and can be "tuned" quite well - I have a GP-100 that had an action job done by a local police department armorer and it has a better trigger pull than any of my Smiths or Colts.

Bottom line - why spend your money for less than the best? Get a used Smith "K" or "L" frame and lots of .38 Special ammo. Or, get the Smith Model 28 and some .357 Magnum and have some fun.

Fly'nBuff
October 4, 2007, 01:40 AM
I have two Rossis and have yet to have a problem with either. That being said, I also have Smiths and Rugers. Spend the extra money if possible and get one of the latter. A Rossi is better than nothing, but you might kick yourself for settling.

BigBlock
October 4, 2007, 02:17 AM
Smith and Wessons are absurdly overpriced. Sure, they're nice guns, but I'll never buy one on principle alone.

Arcticfox
October 4, 2007, 03:15 AM
I have a Smith, and a taurus. No comparison in trigger feel, and mechanics. Smith is a smoother firearm. I've handled several Taurus', and a bunch of Smiths. Its the same feel every time. Get a used 19, or even a 586. You'll be glad you got a Smith! Go to a firing range that rents guns, and try several brands, and calibers.

No malice intended to you Taurus owners. But If I have the money, I'll take the BMW over the Ford, thank you :evil:

BikerRN
October 4, 2007, 07:48 AM
Is Taurus and/or Rossi as good as Smith & Wesson in dependability, qaulity, & longevity.

In short, No.

Taurus and Rossi use softer metals and less hand fitting of critical parts. Also, S&W has a "Lifetime Warranty" and their customer service is "top notch" IMHO.

Biker

wheelgunslinger
October 4, 2007, 09:13 AM
Look at the difference in price. It's not that great of a difference.
Just save a little longer and get what you really want. You'll be glad you did.

If you need convincing, go to a gun shop and compare them side by side for feel, trigger action, finish, and overall quality.
In the gun world there are a lot of people who are brand conscious/biased. You can be one of those or not. It's up to you.
But, make up your own mind.
After all, that's why they make Fords and Chevys and Mercedes.

In my opinion, for a guy who is busy buying milk and tennis shoes for the kids, not to mention trying to keep the mortgage paid, Taurus and Rossi offer good value for their price point.

Again, make up your own mind by educating yourself on what makes a good revolver, and holding them in your hands to see how you like them.

PigPen
October 4, 2007, 09:43 AM
Look. Here's the deal. Old S&W are percieved to be better than new S&W which are percieved to be better than Taurus and Taurus better than Rossi.

Once again, it depends what you want the pistol for. As has been pointed out above, used S&W are not that much different in price than Taurus or Rossi (and are probably somewhat better). If you shoot the pistol a lot, the difference in quality might show but most people do not shoot that much. Think about it; If you can't afford the extra cost of a S&W over a Taurus or Rossi, how are you going to afford the amount of ammo to shoot enough to make a difference in pistols show up.

I gather that most folks on this list are afficianados who take pride in ownership and keep a pistol a long time. (That's what I do) If that's the case the pride of ownership definitely favors the Smith.....American Co., been around a long time.., quality reputation.... etc. and it's not that much more.

Unargueably, quality favors the Smiths and older (in general) is better than newer but if Taurus is what you feel comfortable with, you will be alright. I would pass on the Rossi, I guess.

PigPen

BikerRN
October 4, 2007, 09:53 AM
If you are considering a S&W but liking the Taurus/Rossi price why not go with a Ruger?

Rugers are well made, not as "nice" as a Smith & Wesson, but perceived by many to be the "workhorse" of revolvers and "reasonably" priced compared to the new S&W's.

I carry two S&W's daily but I just picked up a Ruger and will start carrying that along with one of my Smiths, does that tell you anything?

Biker

weregunner
October 4, 2007, 12:58 PM
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=945.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=1098.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=1423.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=1243.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums.in...p?topic=1960.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=1565.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2661.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=1680.0
While I agree that the Ruger GP100 makes sense there is another alternative. That's what the links area about.

There are good reasons to go with Taurus. That's what the links area about.
Rossi makes the 971 and Taurus has the 65,66 and Tracker series for consideration.
Since what I was going to say is somewhere in the links I will let them do the"talking".

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=250771
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=250992
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=248950

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have to add a little more.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=1321.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=1814.0
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=250992
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=248950

That should cover it.

MCgunner
October 4, 2007, 01:44 PM
Taurus and Rossi use softer metals and less hand fitting of critical parts. Also, S&W has a "Lifetime Warranty" and their customer service is "top notch" IMHO.

Total BS. Rossis and Tauri are just as good METAL. Might have been true 25 years ago, but not now. Frankly, I have a 25 year old Rossi that's impressive compared to the M88 I bought in the early 90s. The finishing steps get passed up on the Rossis from the ones I've owned, a few of 'em had some tool marks here and there like under the hammer where my M88 was pretty rough. But, Taurus, I can't tell the difference in it an my old M19 other than I like the design better on th eTaurus. The trigger is slick, it's more accurate, it doesn't have that stupid flat spot at the bottom of the forcing cone that cracked on my M10. It's just as high quaility as any Smith or Ruger I've ever owned, though I tend to love the Ruger's side plateless, very strong design and simplicity of disassembly compared to the Taurus.

I'll put my Taurus 4" 66 against any Smith as a shooter. Rossis, well, they work on a budget, but you get less gun in fit and finish and the DA trigger is usually a little rough, but they work and I've never worn one out. I put probably 15K rounds mixed .38/.357 through my old M971 and it was still tight as a drum when I traded it in a partial trade for a .45 Colt Blackhawk which I do like better. :D. I made a good deal and traded up.

Taurus and Rossi has the lifetime no bones warranty, but from what i've heard about customer service, be prepared to wait a while. Smith and Wesson has 'em there. It's due to the corporate arrangement at Taurus as I understand it. Some don't complain, some whine like five year olds when their gun is gone over 2 weeks. I have not had the occasion to use it, though.

Marshall
October 4, 2007, 02:41 PM
My opinion? I would buy Smith and Ruger first. Not only would I, I do.

weregunner
October 4, 2007, 02:59 PM
McGunner, I included that answer in the links though it was JR47 over at TFL who dealt with that one way back.Actually he dealt with all the usual tripe put out by others and refuted it all. So have members here and at TFL.
You're right. The claim of softer metal is a downright fabrication.If this guy had read the links from TFL he'd know that was untrue and why.

Sad to say this has to expected. Reminds me of liberals. Tell a lie long enough and it becomes the truth.
Having older model 65,66,85CH and the newer 94, there is no soft steel anywhere in the mix. Never has been.
There is no pot metal. Nor is there zinc or brass thrown in anywhere.

All these revlovers have had many thousand rounds of .357 magnum,38 Specials, or in the 94's case.22lrf through all of them. Action is tight, no end play,timing is good. Dureability has been a byword in their use.

Gustav
October 4, 2007, 03:02 PM
The Ruger Security and Speed Six would be my first choice and then maybe a GP-100 or better yet any good new or used Smith & Wesson K L or N frame such as any S&W model 13 65 66 581 681 586 686 27 28 etc.
Many good deals can be found on older Colts & S&W's as many people and departments sold them off or traded them in for the latest semi auto.
I have owned a few Taurus revolvers none were ever better than a good Ruger Colt or Smith & Wesson other than being cheaper to buy, If its all you have or can afford that is one thing but I would rather sell or go without a TV or some other such luxury to get a top quality firearm.
When you buy the best you only spend your money once and seldom if ever regret spending the difference as time goes by.
Notice allot of people say as good as the best brands never better than them?
You can find many bargains at gun shows pawn shops in local papers and through Shotgun News and The Gun List as well as once in a while on www.gunbroker.com www.auctionarms.com www.gunsamerica.com that or post an add at your local shooting range also it often pays to ask around.
Best of luck.;)

weregunner
October 4, 2007, 03:09 PM
Actually a Ruger or S&W used to have to be taken into account. These all can give good service. Just scrutuinize the used revolvers closely. Most though should be okay.
CDNN, Bud's Gun Shop, and J&G Sales usually have a nice supply of used guns at decent prices.

Hawk
October 4, 2007, 03:13 PM
I have nothing negative to say about the quality of Taurus or Rossi - not surprising given as I've never owned one.

But part of why I've never owned a Taurus is their unfortunate tendency to put porting where I can least abide it or apply billboards on large-ish barrels. Very much personal and aesthetic but porting on revolver barrels makes my gums recede - doesn't matter who did it.

It also may simply be where I shop - there appears to be no shortage of nice looking Tauri on the website but my dealer(s) seem bent on stocking the visually offensive ones only.

One other consideration is that pre-lock used S&Ws are not yet commanding ransom rates (at least around here). A used S&W will generally enjoy much better resale value as compared to a new Taurus. This doesn't matter much if you're sure you'll not want to trade it in. Something to consider if you're a little iffy on which you want. Most dealers won't have apoplexy if asked if a used gun can be dry-fired and that's handy to see if the "feel" is right for you.

Personally, I don't give a wet slap about "lifetime warrantees" on handguns if the manufacturer doesn't pick up the freight. A non-FFL gets to ship the beast via some overnight service and the very first time you do that most, if not all, of what you saved in the purchase price is toast.

slow944
October 4, 2007, 03:16 PM
SHOTGUNJOE!! Go by the Bullet Trap on Ave. K and take a look at some of their used guns. I bought a S&W 66-2 in SS for $299+tax. Great shooting gun and they are always having specials. The M66-2 was a buy back from a security service and they had them marked low for a quick sale.

Ratshooter
October 4, 2007, 03:22 PM
Hello SHOTGUNJO,

There is a S&W 66-1 w/ a 4" barrel at bills gun shop next to Alpine gun range in Everman as of 10/3/07. The price was marked for $350.00 + tax. The phone # is 817 478-8833 ask for James.

I have 5 Taurus revolvers right now and have nothing but good to say about each one. The only problem i had was with the hammer nose being to long on a model 82 .38 special that caused some missfires. It took about 30 minutes to correct.

My model 94 Taurus 3" .22 is accurate enough that i can shoot the flame off of a candle at 25'. I know because i have done this. I also shot the candle to peices trying. Both of my model 85 snubbies provide good accuracy also.

Personaly if i get a chance to own a S&W i will pick them because of the resale. I have no complaints about MIM parts like some other folks. Ruger has been using cast parts for a long time with little complaint. I worked in my fathers machine shop from age 10 to about age 25 and most of our parts to be machined were cast and were very tough. I still see parts that we made every once in a while on older cars. Sort of a hoot.

Hope this is helpful to you, Thomas.

MCgunner
October 4, 2007, 04:33 PM
Personaly if i get a chance to own a S&W i will pick them because of the resale. I have no complaints about MIM parts like some other folks. Ruger has been using cast parts for a long time with little complaint.

The way I understand it, there is a vast difference in MIM process and the investment casting that Ruger does. I don't buy into that MIM parts are inferior structurally, though. Here, we agree. But, what I have read here from smiths, pro or accomlished amateur, is that the MIM stuff doesn't polish up as slick as a forged part and, thus, a custom action job isn't what it was on a forged gun. I have a friend with a slicked up N frame 6" M29 .44 magnum. He picked this thing up at an estate sale for $300...:banghead:. It has a magnaported barrel and the absolute slickest trigger I've every pulled. Who ever did the work KNEW what he was doing. And, from what I've been told, you won't find that sort of thing on an MIM gun because the metal will just not work as smooth. That's the one criticism I can buy about MIM stuff.

I mean, you'd think with all the complaining, someone would offer new aftermarket forged parts for custom builds. Well, I guess gunsmiths could tap older parts supplies for some of the models. But, I doubt that out of the box, you could tell the difference in trigger quality from old school to modern MIM.

And, then, there's the LOCK......:what:

Gunbabe
October 4, 2007, 04:57 PM
Wow cpirtle what an offer you have extended. I find not always, but alot of times, the people putting down Taurus don't own them or in some cases have never even fired them and just go with the crowd in hating them. Like I said we have 6 between us and have never had one problem. I can't say anything about the customer service because I never have and hopefully never will need it.

Ratshooter
October 5, 2007, 02:31 AM
Hello McGunner,

I don't know how much differance there is between molten metal poured into a ceramic mold or metal forced into a mold there is but i do not think it makes a lot of differance for the end product. I have polished up several triggers on Rugers and changed springs on S&W 's for a little better pull and release but have not worked any on the MIM parts.

I do have a new S&W 629 with the MIM parts and can say i have no desire to so much as remove the grip. There is no reason to work on this guns action. It is as smooth as my P&R 57 made in the 1980's. I don't know what i could do to make it noticeably better. As far as the lock goes it is an abberation i just ignore and hope it will go away someday.

I shot this gun a week ago with lasercast 240 lead bullets loaded over 6 grains of Red dot powder and put the first round about an inch high and the next 11 rounds all touching. It would not group like this with lead bullets when i first bought it. The throats were too tight at .429. I opened the throats to .431 and it shoots lead and jacketed bullets great. It realy likes magtech 240 gr soft points that measure .430 to .4305 inch. The range was 18 yards. These bullets also shoot well in micro grooved Marlin 1894's.

If anyone has a better understanding of the MIM process i would love to read it. Thomas.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolver question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!