Pistol safe?

PDA

45Guy
October 4, 2007, 07:23 PM
I'm looking into getting safes for both myself and my girlfriend's pistols for home defense. Looking at something that can be chained or somehow fastened other than bolting them down, because they will be in an apartment. Thinking of a safe with some sort of pushbutton, either electronic or manual kind.

Thanks-45Guy

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
October 4, 2007, 07:30 PM
You can rig almost any of these boxes that can be bolted down to use a cable, so that shouldn't limit you too much. Gunvaults (http://www.gunvault.com/) are popular with a lot of folks, but many people distrust electronics. A good choice in those seems to be the V-line stuff (http://www.vlineind.com/html/products.html).

Dope
October 4, 2007, 07:32 PM
GunVault? They make several sizes, I think Mini being the smallest (it holds a handgun and maybe some spare mags). Electronic pushbutton with key backup. They have provisions for using a cablelock that can be tethered to something else (much like people use for laptops).

Dope

GLOOB
October 4, 2007, 07:34 PM
If it's to protect your kids and houseguests from getting their hands on a loaded pistol, then a little lock box is great. If you want to keep a BG from nabbing it, you won't get anywhere with a lock box or a chain. Most any chain can be broken pretty easily with a prybar or hand/power tools in a matter of minute... Most small lockboxes can be opened rather easily with a prybar/screwdriver/axe, anyway.

I live in an apartment: with carpet. A quick combover after I leave, and the 1/2" holes I put in the concrete should be close to invisible.

For protection against thieves, you are better off hiding your guns than putting them in a small lock box. That just tells the perp there's something inside worth the effort to steal. The president of the local gun club found that out the hard way. He still uses a lock box, cuz he has kids. But now he keeps his Taurus revolver in it, and the good guns stay in the gun safe.

GLOOB
October 4, 2007, 07:34 PM
*removed*

Torghn
October 6, 2007, 02:46 PM
I'd recommend a gunvault. It can be mounted to the floor or wall pretty easily, comes with the mounting screws. You can also use a cable for less intrusive mounting. I had a problem with mine and gunvault shipped me a new unit with a prepaid shipping label to send back the old. Customer service was awesome and the new unit works flawlessly.

tbtrout
October 6, 2007, 09:52 PM
Gunvault

prolanman
October 6, 2007, 10:09 PM
I have a couple of V-Line safes. Simplex push button locks. No need to worry about changing a battery.

MAKster
October 7, 2007, 09:42 PM
American Security makes a good lock box that fits one handgun. It uses the mechanical Simplex lock. It has holes in the bottom so it can be bolted down to a piece of furniture. I think the steel is thicker than the Gun Vault.

CJ
October 7, 2007, 10:01 PM
As others have mentioned, mostly for prevention from small fingers. A cable won't stop a determined thief who has plenty of time to work...or a hacksaw or bolt cutter. Any mountable case typically has holes, allowing for a cable to pass through it if needed.

All that in mind, a couple that I've used for similar purposes:

HOMAK Electronic Locking Quick-access Safe
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=313144

A little on the smaller side. 4 electronic buttons that you can set yourself for your password. One reason I like it is that, mounted vertically, its angled door still allows access from the top.

----------------------------------------------------
http://www.center-of-mass.com/
Various sizes to allow your choice. Uses a round key, but you can buy multiples set for the same key. Comes with a cable for tie down. They pitch it as an in-car gun safe as well, simply by running the cable around the seat track of a car. Seals up nicely...I'd hate to have to hack my way into one without the key.

Blarelli
October 7, 2007, 11:42 PM
DAC Sportsafe is better then a gunvault, and cheaper. It can be bolted to anything, and easily taken off when needed. They run $70 on the internet, and have more features then all but the deluxe model of the gunvault. It has a dim internal light, so it doesn't ruin your night vision, has an alarm if somebody is messing with it, or trying to move it. You can get multiple bases to mount it to if you want to move it from the house to an RV, or boat or something, and it has a solid bolt locking mechanism while the gunvault has a weak little clip lock. With those features the gunvault runs over $250.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!