Strange Happenings In The Woods/Scary Hunting Stories

PDA

Fake Name
October 4, 2007, 08:31 PM
Alright guys, with the deer hunting season kicking into gear and Halloween coming up soon, I'm in the mood to hear some of the scary or peculiar happenings you've observed while in the woods.

If you enjoyed reading about "Strange Happenings In The Woods/Scary Hunting Stories" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
308win
October 4, 2007, 08:58 PM
Trailed by a pack of feral dogs. It was like they were herding me towards a sheer cliff as they had me flanked. The only sight I would catch of them would be a quick glimpse as they were very adept at keeping out of sight but I could hear them running in the leaves and they would occasionally 'yip' to each other. I finally decided I wasn't playing and started back the way I came. They trailed me for a total of probably 3-4 miles until I got to the fireroad I had my truck parked on. If it had been late in the day or if I had fallen I am convinced they would have attacked.

Big Boomer
October 4, 2007, 09:12 PM
Ok this is when I was very young up in Oregon around a place called Crooked River Ranch, now mind you that this area it is NOT legal to hunt, and to top it off we were on the river, also a big no no.

Now when I say "on the river" I mean "ON the river". I am not talking on the river in a boat, skiff, or any other "approved" flotation device.

As it happens we experienced one of the warmest hunting days in years and it was shorts and tank top weather (that's quite unusual for there anytime) much less swimming weather.

So we start off with the three of us heading out to the river, one of us had an Eastern Oregon bow tag, the other another tag out of area. Now not one of us had a bow, or a legal tag between us but "oh well" says we. We were determined to get out deer! So as we head down to the river and start to climb in our "boats" and by this you must get a visual, one was a rubber ducky raft (no chit), one was a pool raft (the kind you blow up and lay on to get a tan) and the other was a kids miniature dingy (also inflatable) that held barely one person.

So off we go! As we are climbing into the river with our rifles (30-30, .308, .22lr) there comes across a couple of the local residents who stop on the road on a bridge that we had just climbed down from to the river and yells down "do you have to have a fishin license for that too?" In a very sarcastic manner while laughing themselves silly.

So begins our adventure. Well, shortly after bouncing off a few rocks they "flotation devices" start losing air fast and we are going down a swift river and sinking rapidly. After the rubber ducky had given is life and sank to the depths below we then tried to grasp on to the larger raft while the tanning one was quickly giving up it's life. Within minutes all the rafts had sunk and we were floating down the river holding our rifles above the water bouncing repeatedly off rocks and such as we go.

We quickly come to the conclusion that this is no way to hunt deer and need to find the high ground quick. There is a problem though, the banks of the river are lined with the thickest, most densely packed barbed brush you can think of.

After a mile or so and getting tired of white water swimming we decided that we had to get out. So we climb out on a little place that had about a foot of bare ground and decide what to do. Just as we reach the bank my buddy who also happens to be blind in one eye decides he sees a spike and wants the meat. BOOM! Goes the .308 as we both wheel around and ask him *** he is shootin at and explain that he just winged a spike across the river.

The other two of us look at him in a very po'ed manner and say are you going to track that "expletive" thing through the death brush? Well you are now! So we made him go track the deer across the river and after about 45 minutes or so he comes back and says he thinks he knicked it in the rear leg but there was no way to track it. We are quite unhappy as to him not placing his shot right but hey then again he is blind shooting off his weak side soo what are you going to do right? Now you have to realize that when he came back he looked like he got into a fight with a pack of badgers in a bad way.

He was literally dripping blood, there were so many scratches and so much blood that he looked like he had been drug behind a truck on asphalt and left for dead.

He was darn near crying he was in so much pain and we decided at that point we needed to get him some medical attention. But first, we are on the river with about a 300-400 ft hike straight up the walls and have to transgress about a hundred feet of this death brush before we even get there. So by the time we even make it to the wall we have lost the majority of our clothes and are bloodied beyond belief. It now looks like we are escaped convicts that just left a mass murder.

We somehow, still to this day I don't know how, managed to make up up the almost sheer rock walls to a plateau above. As we climb up on the top and sit to rest we look across an open alfalfa field and see what looks like about 200 head of deer! :what:

OMG we say all at once. My buddy with the .308 looks through his scope and tried to isolate a buck, and after about 10 minutes says all be d4mned there aint a buck in the whole friggin heard!

We all can't believe this and hang our head in shame as the god's are just not favoring us today. We manage to limp back to the truck bleeding all the way climb in the old 66 chevy and head for home.

Now within about 2 miles of us leaving there is a what we believe to be a HUGE 8 point buck standing off about a 50 yards from someones house right next to the road :eek:

We all look at one another as we pass and say oh hell with it! We whip a u-turn up the road about another quarter mile and come back, and low and behold there is a man standing in the middle of the road with his hand out motioning us to stop.

He then says "I saw you kids staring down my buck and I suggest you leave" we that just tops it! Then lightning quick, my buddy with the .308 whips his rifle out and pops that big ole buck right between the eyes, you should have seen the look on that old codger!

Now you are most likely thinking BS and you are absolutely right! All but the very last sentence is true.

Big Boomer
October 4, 2007, 09:13 PM
I would NEVER do anything like this today.

Tom Bri
October 5, 2007, 09:30 PM
Boomer, you were what? 16? 18?

We all did some pretty dumb things back then. Alcohol involved by any chance?

Tom Bri
October 5, 2007, 09:33 PM
Funniest thing I ever saw was a pheasant that flew up from under my feet. Scared me so I couldn't react, but that stupid pheasant flew about 2 feet and slammed into a fence wire. He bounced back down and lay there flopping for a few seconds, right at my feet again. Then he got up and took off again, successfully this time.

bulltaco
October 5, 2007, 10:40 PM
Back in the very early '70s, when my crew was in high school, we used to hunt around one of the lakes that was owned by the city, but (back then) outside of the city limits (Raleigh, NC). One of my best friends, who lived by the lake went hunting following the path that went around the lake. He encountered a "gentleman" who was "buck-naked" plucking a dead chicken hanging from a string by it's neck from a tree branch. They were both startled and the guy said to my buddy: "Seen enough?" Well my friend moved back into the woods and went home. When he told me about it we went back to the site of the "encounter" and sure enough there were chicken feathers littering the ground.

Seems like a voodoo ritual to me.

gdvan01
October 5, 2007, 11:48 PM
I was told some time ago about some forest or swamp area in Michigan, possibly northern, that even the park rangers wouldn't go into because of some freaky stuff that hunters have heard/observed. This guy made it sound like the locals were convinced it was haunted or possessed. Any Michigan members here familiar with such a place?

jeepmor
October 6, 2007, 12:26 PM
A family friend was shot by a "mental" land owner while this 20 something kid was taking a road that skirted his property. The landowner took a shot in the trucks direction, it hit the man in the shoulder, he died instantly. Landowner is still in jail today. ~1990

FFL contact had a friend with a short brush rifle and a bad safety get excited when they stirred up a bull elk. Thrashing through thick brush and not being careful of where the gun was pointed, a stick caught the trigger at the wrong moment and shot him in the chest up through his neck, killing him instantly. ~2005 His friends had to pack him out 4 miles.

.41 magnum man
October 6, 2007, 09:09 PM
I owned a cabin one time back in the mountains, and my brothers and a friend were staying with me during the deer season. We were all in the bed, and it was pitch black. I heard my friend go out the back door to the out house. Knowing he was scared of the dark :evil: I went out the front door, sneaked my way around to the back corner and felt on the ground for a rock. I found a big one, almost the size of my fist. With no light I was just guessing where the out house was and sent my rock flying. I was aiming to hit the side and scare him. Well, lo and behold I forgot that in the top left corner, right above the seat is a little window about 6 inches square. Wouldn't you know it, I hit that window dead on. :what: I heard the glass break, uttered, "uh, oh!" and high tailed it back into the cabin, jumped into the bed and pretended to be asleep. I didn't want him to know I did it! :uhoh: Well, I waited for quite a while and he didn't show up. So I went to the back door and looked out. Nothing. I called out to him. No answer. :confused: So I got a flashlight and creeped out to the building. There was a big crack in the door, (not his!) and I shined the light in on him. There he was slumped down on the pot with his pants down around his ankles knocked out colder than a cucumber! :eek: I had nailed him right in the head through that window. He came to shortly and we got him inside. I figured he had a concusion, but he wouldn't go to the doctor. He never seemed any crazier than he had before, so I guess he was okay. I sure felt bad about it though. :o

chemist308
October 6, 2007, 11:15 PM
During regular deer season (rifle), I was sitting atop a knoll a hill looking over some really nice shooting lanes. My attire was a green coat, over which I have my orange vest and hat--more than enough fluorescent orange to avoid getting mistaken for game...
But down at the bottom of the hill I hear BOOM, BOOM, bullet flies past, BOOM, bark chips off of tree I was sitting under, BOOM--!@%# that almost hit me. I dive behind the knoll and hear a couple more shots as I'm hauling a$$. Then I hear "I GOT EM! YEAH! I GOT EM! YIEAH!"

I wanted to return fire so badly. If I'd seen that !$%!@% I tend to think I wouldn't have missed, so it's probably a really good thing that I never found him.

Double Naught Spy
October 6, 2007, 11:47 PM
I was at my range that is located in the bottoms of a wooded area. I was doing some basic maintenance when I heard a distinct rustle in the leaves behind me. I turned around and saw nothing, plus the sound stopped.

A few minutes later, it happened again, only this time the noise was louder. It sounded like something big was crashing through the woods toward me, only I could not see it.

This had me spooked as I was looking in the direction of the sound, but could see nothing. I had just about convinced myself of the reality of an invisible Bigfoot when a slight bit of movement in the leaves some 20 feet away caught my eye. Mind you, my pistol was out and I was in a low ready stance.

Then I finally saw the creature. It was big and primitive looking, no doubt about it!

What happened? What was it?

Turns out, the sound wasn't all that loud at all and the creature was big, but only for its species. The creature turned out to be an armadillo that was rooting around under about 1 foot of leaves. The sound accounting for the crashing through the woods noise was because I had the volume on my electronic ear muffs turned up full blast.

Oh sure, it is funny now, but at the time, I was very concerned.

sm
October 7, 2007, 03:06 AM
Box of matches.

One does have to say a word.
Just sitting outside, watching the fire, the moon and stars, and just shake that box of matches behind them and folks will jump out of their skin.

Mentors did it to me when I was wee brat, and I still pass forward as passed to me.
I am only 52, I got a lot of box shaking to still pass forward. :)

Big Boomer
October 7, 2007, 04:31 AM
yes I was about 16 or 17 when that happened

Another excursion that a friend of mine was out on once while bunny hunting and ran across a group of very drunken men out shooting. Shots started flying their way as they heard the close by ricochets and yelled out that there were people out here. There was some laughs and the shooting continued in their direction although this time closer.

My buddies then rapped off a few rounds just incase they didn't hear them and then again a volley of fire and laughter. This time he yelled out "if you fire again I WILL return fire!" and once again they let off a barrage of fire all around.

They spotted their truck and unloaded about 90 rounds (3 mags worth) from 3 sks's into their old blue pickup. There ensued a lot of cursing shortly thereafter but no return fire...

brighamr
October 7, 2007, 02:26 PM
I was 14 hunting ELK in utah. My brother and i go back to camp for lunch. We here a ton of shots (sounded like a mini-war) about 200 yards away. When we investigated with our spotting scope, we see about 9 guys shooting clay pidgeons off a ridge toward our camp :cuss: Worst of all it was only the third day of the season and the ELK did not return...

Fisherman_48768
October 7, 2007, 04:46 PM
Many years ago I was doing some early hunting in Montana, staying in a tent along the Dearborn river. One night I had to go outside to do somthing that required that my pants be around my ankles as I squatted. Anyway knowing there are rattlesnakes in the area I was careful to use a flashlight to get to the bushes, didn't see any snakes. anyway I did the squat thing and about the time I squatted heard this rattling coming from immediately behind and below me. Needless to say I think I made a quarter mile in something like three steps with my pants still around my ankles. To this day I don't know if it was a snake or seed pod on a bush that I brushed while squatting. That was probably the worst scare I've ever had in the field. Been after wounded bear on my hands and knees with a pistol, flew combat over SEA but none of that scare the bejesus out of me like that rattling sound so close to my lineage makers.

rcmodel
October 7, 2007, 05:04 PM
You need to keep an eye open for the Ditchweed / Locoweed / Wacky Toobacky growers in some parts of the country.
They set booby traps, fish hooks, pungi stake foot traps, and other dangerous stuff to protect their crops from the other hemp pickers!

Then I had a friend who shot an elk on the side of a Colorado mountain. As the hill was steep, he left his rifle leaning against a tree and hiked down to field-dress the elk.

Then he got pinned down behind it by another "hunter" about 450 yards across the canyon, trying to drive him off to steal his meat & rack!

Little did the rifle shooter know, but we were members of the 5th. Army Pistol Team, and my friend was packing a 6" Model 29!

It all turned out well, with nobody shot or killed.
I guess the sound of some 240 grain .44 Mag JHP bouncing off the rocks beside him made the game thief think of better things to do, and better places to be.

Then there was the time I was setting in my tree-stand when a black BMW drove up and parked down the dirt road a little ways.
Turned out, before long, one of our fine city leaders was getting it up the back-end from a long-haired hippie type dude.
Now, that was pretty scary, in a non-threatening sort of way! :eek:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

ZeSpectre
October 7, 2007, 05:52 PM
Last year the wife and I were having a nice walk in Shenandoah National Park (The trail between Matthews Arm and Elkwallow wayside if anyone is curious) and I hear this "snap" behind us. There, about 75 yards behind us, is a pretty good sized black bear just standing there watching us. So I pull out my whistle (always carry a Fox whistle in the backcountry) and blow it really loudly and yell "hey bear, scat, get outta here" while clapping my hands loudly.

I think my wife (who'd never even seen a bear before) thought I was out of my mind but Mr. Bear kinda ambled off in the other direction and we resumed our hike.

BUT

I looked back and there's the damned bear following us again. We'd stop and he'd stop, we start up and so does he. He never got closer than about 75-100 yards, but he followed us for a good 1/2 mile until we got close to the wayside (grocery store, gas station, etc) and then he ambled off in another direction.

There was a ranger there fueling up his vehicle and so I reported this behavior to them. His reply was... "Oh that's Bruce, I'm afraid we might have to relocate him soon because he's starting to make a habit of following people hoping they'll drop food."

Ummm, yeah that's really comforting.

koja48
October 7, 2007, 06:02 PM
Went and got a Christmas tree one year . . . oldest boy was with me (6 at the time). As we were walking out dragging the tree, I got the "hair standing on the back of your neck cuz something ain't right" sensation. Turned around & there was a cougar some 50 feet behind us. Before I could grab my 45 out of a shoulder rig (and I'm pretty quick with it), the cat swapped ends & was gone. Never saw it again, but was much more attentive for the remainder of the hike out . . .

Phelptwan
October 7, 2007, 06:05 PM
My first year hunting I had a pair of fighting squirrels fall out of my tree into my blind...it was intense.

MeekandMild
October 7, 2007, 08:00 PM
a pair of fighting squirrels fall out of my tree into my blind That was the best one so far.

I once saw the devil himself out in the woods in the half darkness. I was 11 at the time, coming back from a squirrel hunt. Devil turned out to be a goat.

tinygnat219
October 7, 2007, 08:12 PM
There was a ranger there fueling up his vehicle and so I reported this behavior to them. His reply was... "Oh that's Bruce, I'm afraid we might have to relocate him soon because he's starting to make a habit of following people hoping they'll drop food."

Yeah, relocate him into the sites of my 30'06 during bear season. Yum!

Big Daddy K
October 8, 2007, 12:30 AM
Last year opening day of deer season my 9 year old and I were sitting in our pop-up. It was still dark. We were on the side of a hill near the top looking down into a drw with a spring fed creek running through it. Across from us was the hill going up. Probably 200 yds. Hard woods, a few pine and small cedar.
Anyway at some point we are both sorta staring into the darkness waiting for first light when we both see the following. Two brightly lit balls sorta bouncing/floating down the other side of the draw towards the creek. Appeard to be on the ground moving through the trees. One was bright red like a tail light. the other bright green like neon green. Appeard to be about the size on a basketball but our depth perseption was a bit off due to it still being too dark to see. This lasted about 5 seconds and dissapeared. No noise or sound.
We finished the hunt with no other incidents. There was no sign or evidence anything had happened.
I just dunno what it was. Very strange.

Kimber1911_06238
October 8, 2007, 01:32 PM
One of my favorites, but not as good as many of the other stories here.

Quiet morning deer hunting, not a freakin thing moving. After 3 hours, a little red squirrel comes out of a pine tree and starts eating something on a stump. I'm watching, all of a sudden, flash, a redtailed hawk swoops down and pins the little critter to the ground and starts ripping him to pieces and eating him.

Lambo119
October 8, 2007, 04:14 PM
This was twenty years ago and it still makes me laugh. I was spring turkey hunting on land that I had not hunted before. Got out about an hour before sunrise and set up the decoys on a small open ridge in the timber. Not the best set up but I had roosted a bunch of birds in the area the night before. As the light just started to break I noticed a large black "creature" on two legs about fifty yards away in the timber. It would suddenly appear from behind a tree lumber along in a jerky fashion before disappearing in the shadows again. It would occasionally almost purposely step out and look my way then disappear in the timber again. At first I thought that it was just my eyes playing tricks on me in the low light. But after I got a blurred look at it with my binoculars I was becoming convinced that I was being stalked by Bigfoot. Now mind you I primarily bow hunt and am in the woods in the dark a lot so this was not easy for me to accept. But the fact was that I knew that this was a critter that did not belong in my woods! I set there and witnessed this for some time and before dawn the “creature” had had enough and disappeared for good. I called for about thirty minutes but with no turkey activity I collected my decoys and left. I decided that I would not tell anyone about my encounter with the “foot” for two reasons. #1 as I hear it the food is not that good in the sate mental hospital and #2 my hunting buddies would of been on me like vultures on road kill. After two days I could not take it any longer because I knew I wasn’t crazy and just really needed to know what the hell I had seen. So I called one my best hunting buddy that hunted there a lot. And after the normal pleasantries I just came out and said “you ever had anything weird happen to you in that area? He immediately stated “You saw it didn’t you? Tell me about it”. So I reluctantly told him exactly what I had witnessed. He told me a similar story and we both swore to keep our mouths shut. A few days latter he and I along with my other two buddies were all together for lunch when the lambasting began. The Bigfoot jokes started and have not let up to this day. Turns out that the neighboring farmer had tried to raise emus and after he figured out that there was no market for a hundred pound chicken he turned six of them loose. Seems the locals knew about it and had lots of fun messing with those that didn’t. What did I learn from all this? My hunting buddies are a bunch of evil jerks! But I suppose I am stuck with them after thirty years of friendship. Foremost after the above events if Elvis himself landed a flying saucer in my back yard and told me who really shot JFK I would KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT!

Kimber1911_06238
October 8, 2007, 04:17 PM
hahahahaha, that is hilarious LAMBO. Seeing an emu in the dark would definitely rank high on my weird scale.

Lambo119
October 8, 2007, 04:53 PM
Tell me about it! I thought that I was loosing it. :D

Gustav
October 8, 2007, 05:29 PM
A scary hunting story that comes to mind years ago on of the students in a firearms class went hunting with two of the instructors he did not bother to sight in his rifle and as a result ended up blazing away most of his ammo during the coarse of the day missing every shot he took.

When night came he was lost and did not turn up at the place the vehicles were parked he eventually stumbled his way into camp mad as h*^# because he got in trouble for using his flashlight while walking back to camp with a partially loaded rifle (two rounds left).

The next day he was determined to "get his deer" with or without any help so he went it alone in his Jeep and took off well he did not show up until night time again only this time he was even madder seems he had a flat tire on his Jeep he had a lug wrench with the four sockets but he did not have a bar to put in the jacks handle to lift the jack up and down with.

Proving the old saying that "there is no such thing as no one can be THAT stupid" he used the only metal bar he could find to change the tire and operate his jack using his trusty new Remington rifles barrel as a lever.
Yes indeed bent it very nicley but thats not the end of it.

He was determined to keep hunting and somehow found a hacksaw in one of the other trucks toolboxes and started to "fix" his rifle needless to say the saw was taken away, he soon ended up going home mad and P&^%$ off after a lengthy "discussion" about his exploits and lack of common sense.

Whats scary last I heard he was a member of the one **********s best know LEO organizations.:eek:

pete f
October 8, 2007, 08:17 PM
Had some odd events. Had some bullets fly through the trees near me.

Had two chickadee's doing something on the bill of my cap once, I just sat still and hope they both had fun...

Had a pine Marten move through my shooting lane once, odd looking critter it is...

Watched three does wait in line more or less while a buck did the deed with each, At least he died with a smile on his face.

Had some guy we did not know fall asleep in our truck....

While canoeing, we had a bear rip out the guy line to the tent...

While deer hunting, had a guy come up and start asking all sorts of questions, asking about how many deer we had seen, if I knew what to do when I shot one, etc. This in the middle of 500 acres of private posted land. This guy was outfitted with all this brand new stuff, fancy glossy weatherby, Big huge knife, 10X80 binoculars, etc. I asked if he knew where he was, and if he could read, because he had just walked in past three or four no tresspassing signs. He just looked at me like I was nuts and said "but i have a hunting license." I said this is all private land. posted and fenced, Again he says "but I have a license." To him a hunting license was a license to tresspass and go where ever he wanted.

H&Hhunter
October 8, 2007, 08:32 PM
I was hunting in Alaska a few years ago. In the dark of the night I was woke up to a chuffing sound at my head with only several millimeters of nylon separating me from a 1000lb + brown bear.

As quietly as I could I reached over and got hold of my .44 pistol. As I was bringing it to my side it knocked over a coffee pot making a hell of a racket.

The bear instantly went into a rage and tore through my tent. He knocked the pistol from my grip and took my head into his mouth. I was able to rip free and grab a knife from my day pack.

With a snicker and and fierce growl the bear instantly ripped my right arm from my shoulder socket and spit it out on the floor of the tent with the knife still griped in my fist he then killed and ate me.;)

The end.:uhoh:

sm
October 8, 2007, 08:48 PM
H&Hhunter,

WoW! I sure hope you gave mean old bear a bad case of indigestion!
:uhoh:

SR_
October 8, 2007, 09:18 PM
I didn't see anything as I sat all afternoon in the deer stand. I sat there thinking about the invitation I'd turned down to meet some friends. While there was still 10 minutes left before shooting time, I'd had enough. If I hurried, I could still meet my friends. I started to get my gear in my pack and then, to my left, I saw it!

It had flaming red eyes. It stared at me and didn't move. Then I notice a second one behind the first - its eyes were also red but not as fiery.

My heart skipped a couple of beats. What on earth have I found? Or, what has found me???

Then I realized, I had my 'head light' on and I’d left it on the red setting. I hardly saw the deer, but the light certainly made their eyes appear devilish. They were a couple of small does – who both lived to see another day.

smokemaker
October 8, 2007, 09:19 PM
Had a chicadee land on the barrel of my rifle and hang out for a bit once. That tells me I was doing a good job sitting still.

While black bear hunting in the Adirondack mountains, me and two friends noticed a strange light moving up the hill slowly. We watched for a few, went and got our guns and watched more. We remembered and discussed that Whitley Streiber's books on alien abductions were based from the area we were in. Then one of us realized it was the moonlight shining off the stream that rolls down the mountain. As the moon rose, the light moved closer to us. Talk about feeling stupid!

koja48
October 8, 2007, 09:33 PM
May you rest in peace, H&H.

Not a hunting tale, but was running a bar in the Deer Lodge Valley, Montana years ago . . . closed-up one night about 1:45 am & as I walked to the house, saw a "creature" running down the lane toward me. Now I'm here to tell you that a well-backlighted Afghan hound will get you to scratching your melon trying to figure out what the hell it is . . .

Pigspitter
October 8, 2007, 10:02 PM
I wanted to return fire so badly. If I'd seen that !$%!@% I tend to think I wouldn't have missed, so it's probably a really good thing that I never found him. In some parts the legality of that probably wouldn't be questioned.

Here is my grandpa's story. He was camping with a friend of his in Alaska when he woke up to a loud metallic click. He said he waited for a couple seconds lying down and then hear a deafining boom about five inches away from his head. He though he was dead because he could feel something warm running down his forehead and when he reaced back he felt a big furry thing. Turns out his friend had just killed a grizzly that was sniffing my grandpa's head with his .44mag. My grandpa was mad because his ears rang for the rest of the trip but that was a fair price to pay for his life.

Redneck07
October 9, 2007, 12:48 AM
Ahh what the heck, I'll go also.... Last October I was bowhunting on my land... I was enjoying the sunset and relaxing.. suddenly I hear cruch cruch cruch... I thought the deer were finally going to show up... but nope, it was a damn pitbull that lives up the street. The dog saw me up in the tree and started to bark like crazy! It was snarling at me too. About 10 minutes later, the dog left. I waited a good 30 minutes after dark to go back to the house. I walked all the way back with an arrow knocked and with my survival knife on my hip.

The next day I went to speak to the dogs owner... He was understanding... the dog has been leashed up ever since.

H&Hhunter
October 9, 2007, 02:48 AM
Turns out his friend had just killed a grizzly that was sniffing my grandpa's head

I wonder if that was the same one that ate me?;)

All kidding aside Pigspitter, that is one heck of a scary story. :what:

hopkin
October 9, 2007, 09:19 AM
A few years ago a friend and I were spending the night camping rough outside Glencoe (Scotland). I was a warm summer so all we did was start a fire and put up a tarp in case it rained. We both commented that we felt uneasy, like we were being watched, but neither of us could see anything. We shrugged it off and had an early night.

I woke up in the morning to an odd smell and looked around to see about 20 highland cows within yards of where I was sleeping. My first reaction was "Gaaaah!", which woke my friend and then he freaked out too. We were both in a panic, wondering where they came from and how they all arrived without either of us hearing it. I was convinced they'd gore me to death but my friend knew better and after he'd calmed down tried befriending them.

The cows ignored us entirely.

http://www.holidaylets.net/owners/8967/104172.jpg

308win
October 9, 2007, 09:24 AM
I didn't witness this but a hunting companion claims he did. He was in a tree stand on the edge of a cliff. There is a lot of horse activity - even during deer season - and a lot of riding trails in the area. A couple of riders - one male, one female - stopped under his stand on the trail and did the nasty on horse back. He said he didn't know whether to applaud or remain silent so he took the high road. This happened near Tunnel Hill in Southern Illinois for all of you Illinois boys.

My family was on a camping trip out west. They were in one of the national parks and in the tent asleep when awakened by something rattling the cook ware. My step father had only a .22 revolver with him and when he peeked out of the tent he could see a large bear - unsure of species as it was dark. Mom asked him what it was and he told her to go back to sleep is was just a raccoon. When he finally told the story a couple of years later he said he lay awake all night convinced that they were all going to be the bear's entrée.

Selfdfenz
October 9, 2007, 10:05 AM
hopkin and H&H

Too da-n funny

Stop It!

S-

Deer Hunter
October 9, 2007, 12:55 PM
.308win,

The equestrian fornication story is great! If that actually happened, I would have applauded!

scout26
October 9, 2007, 05:00 PM
I hunt Ferne Clyffe SP and the Shawnee National Forest near Tunnel Hill in Southern Illinois (Johnson County). There's the River to River and lots of other horse trails and FCSP even has a horse camping area. So, I'm believeing the fornication on horseback story.

I too would have given the couple a standing ovation upon completion of the deed.

kaizer
October 9, 2007, 05:52 PM
Kinda long, and not really hunting but still funny. A couple of months ago I signed up for the ultra o-gaine right outside of Chattanooga. To those that do not know what this is, it is a 24 hour endurance/navigation type event. Well it starts after dark and me and my buddy head out to find our first waypoint. Must be noted here that my buddy is an avid hunter, but basically i needed a partner so I took a guy with no nav skills. I taught him to read an bearing and I double checked while i pass counted.

Well we go about 300 meters straight through the woods and he stops all of a sudden, here is the conversation:

Him: Steve

me: yeah

Him: I think there is something infront of me

Me: really what

Him: I don't know but it is looking right at me

Me: (now I am next to him) what?

HIm: Those are eyes right there

Me: (now I am seeing what he sees about ten meters in front of him) doubt it is anything, just walk right through it. (I was unsure but figured I would let him go first)

Him: Okay (very shaky voice)

So he goes for it gets about two feet out and it jumps up and runs away as he screams like a girl.

Turns out it was a little fawn sitting still and trying not to be noticed. Scared the hell out of him.

Later in the day we return to base camp and he says we should share our cool story about seeing a deer and snake and what not. I told him i didn't think anybody would be impressed at how we got the crap scared out of us by a little deer. He agreed.

john1911
October 9, 2007, 06:00 PM
I didn't witness this but a hunting companion claims he did. He was in a tree stand on the edge of a cliff. There is a lot of horse activity - even during deer season - and a lot of riding trails in the area. A couple of riders - one male, one female - stopped under his stand on the trail and did the nasty on horse back. He said he didn't know whether to applaud or remain silent so he took the high road. This happened near Tunnel Hill in Southern Illinois for all of you Illinois boys.

.308win,

The equestrian fornication story is great! If that actually happened, I would have applauded!

It happens a lot more than you would think. A lot of these people come down here to ride horse and think they're out in the middle of nowhere. I've never seen it while hunting, but walking some horse trails, I've found a couple different couples in action.

koja48
October 9, 2007, 09:42 PM
Cousin & I saw a couple "so engaged" at the "crick" one time (I was 12) . . . we touched off a round in the air with my Dad's double-barrel & ran like hell . . . always wished we had dallied a second to see the reaction . . .

Pigspitter
October 9, 2007, 10:01 PM
All kidding aside Pigspitter, that is one heck of a scary story.
He would finish that story with "Now that's why you don't go camping with a hard sleeper." I'm not sure if it was true, but you believed him with the way he told it and I knew he used to go to alaska.

FieroCDSP
October 9, 2007, 10:39 PM
A couple of riders - one male, one female - stopped under his stand on the trail and did the nasty on horse back

That's when you know your camo is good. Personally, I would have waited patiently until they were at their zenith, then asked if they could be a bit more quiet so they didn't scare the game.

But I'm a big meanie like that :evil:

koja48
October 9, 2007, 11:26 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist . . . delete as is necessary . . . but, "horsey-style???" . . .

target1911
October 10, 2007, 12:29 AM
"horsey-style???"

or would it be "Bare Backed"?

supraneurotoxin
October 10, 2007, 10:36 AM
Quote:
"horsey-style???"

or would it be "Bare Backed"?

cowgirl?

TexasRifleman
October 10, 2007, 12:41 PM
One night in Woodson, TX (the big city) about 2am.

It was late October, early November and I was out in the jeep with a spotlight, just driving around hunting "movement" as we said back then (varmints only, don't panic).

Stopped to answer the "call of nature" up on a small rise. Very dark and very quiet. While doing my business I hear a woman scream for help, sounded like she was right next to me. I DID get my shoes wet I'll tell you that much.

Grabbed the spotlight and started looking....

Just off to my left, not 20 feet away was a solid black cat. BIG cat. I've heard them called "Mexican Panthers" but I'm not enough of an expert to know.

I mean standing RIGHT THERE looking at me. Got in the jeep and drove away, light on the cat the whole time. Never even blinked at me.....

TexasRifleman
October 10, 2007, 12:47 PM
Another night in Woodson, TX. This time I'm out on an oil lease in the middle of the night checking on some gas compressors after an electrical storm. It's midnight, maybe 1am.

It's winter again and I am out in THE middle of nowhere on 3000+ acres.

I stop to open a gate connecting 2 pastures and the lights on my pickup shine down the road and I see the most BEAUTIFUL perfect Whitetail buck I have ever seen, before or since. Magnificent.

Now I have to say the thought did cross my mind, my Mini14 was in the truck, but all I did was stand there and look.

I don't normally talk to myself out loud but I decided not to shoot it and just said out loud "That's the most beautiful deer I have ever seen".

A voice behind me says "You are sure right about that!".

Once again, nearly wetting myself, I turn around to see the local Game Warden standing 5 feet from me.

Once my heart started again I begged him to let me shoot it, not that it did any good :)

He said he's seen my lights and thought something was up so he snuck up behind me to see what was up. The deer finally wandered off and I went on about my business.

SURE glad I didn't head towards the rifle.....

TexasRifleman
October 10, 2007, 12:56 PM
OK one more. More comedy this time and showing the VERY poor judgement of a teenager with a gun :)

Woodson, TX again, I'm 19 and out with several friends ages 17-19.

We're not drinking, just hunting "movement" again (varmints only).

We stop under a tree to answer the call of nature. It's a BIG mesquite tree, unusually big actually. Maybe 11pm or midnight, November.

We're all being very loud and having a good time joking or whatever and we hear the rustling of limbs above us.

One of my less intelligent friends decides jokingly to fire his 20 gauge up into the tree. Now I am standing there watching this and he doesn't even aim the gun. He's looking at me and laughing when he pulls the trigger.

We all kinda freak out, thought he was just teasing, never thought he'd shoot.

Well we kinda stand there for a second and we hear some flopping around and there onto the ground drops, right at his feet, a WONDERFULLY bearded tom turkey. Dead as a doornail, 2 feet in front of him, just drops with a loud "WHAP".

OOPS.

By the way, I learned that night a very fast way to clean turkey, just breast it kinda like you would a dove. Breaded and fried, turkey fried steak........

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
October 10, 2007, 04:33 PM
I certainly couldn't get one of our family rifles, so I borrowed a .410 single shot from a friend. Mid day, four of us walking back to the truck. We hadn't seen a thing, then this Grouse flies up from the road. Roosted in a tree. My buddies hollar'd at me to take it.

Now mind you.. .410's with slugs were legal to hunt deer with here in Washington back when I was a teen.

I wheeled around and found this fat bird right out on a tree branch that seemed to be hanging from the gold bead on the end of my barrel.

I have a SHOTGUN in my hand. Um, not thinking that it wasn't loaded with #7 shot, I squeezed the trigger.

I must have hit dead center of her chest, because what happened next was a showering of feathers and bird body parts. That slug seemed to gut, skin, de-feather, carve and cook all at once. I'm not kiddin! We found a foot, and some other large chunks of meat. Feathers everywhere! I guess she was molting.

So much for fresh lunch.

I was on a small lake here in NW Washington several years back. I was trolling a fly on a fly rod at a slow paddle in my canoe. I caught a few small trout that way earlier in the day. But the bite was deffinately dead for the last couple of hours.

Then I heard the screach. This pretty little Osprey came down from the cliffs above to snatch a good 14 incher from the middle of the lake. I kept paddling and didn't catch a thing that afternoon. I was quite happy to be schooled by a better fisherman/bird that day.

-Steve

Battlespace
October 10, 2007, 05:25 PM
During my senior year in high school a bunch of us were out jack lighting rabbits one night. A local mink farm paid us two bits each and .22 longs were about fifty cents a box, so this was a money making deal. As we drove along a hay field we saw two red lights flick on and off and then on and off. We stopped and looked for a few minutes and then decided to get closer on foot. Sure enough, it was the Pontiac LeMans of one of the local jocks. We figured he had his girl in there so gathered around the car with flashlights at the ready. We turned them on at a quiet count of three. If she was meant to cover parts of her anatomy she would have had more than two hands. He wanted to jump out and find out who we were, but with pants around his ankles it was a little difficult.

That was about 40 years ago and as far as I know he never figured it out.

critter
October 10, 2007, 06:11 PM
Deer hunting. Found a tiny tree frog on a branch about 2' from me. Taking his picture when a wren landed-one foot on the limb and one on the frog. I have the picture!

Shot a bobwhite with a small, light 20 ga double. Went to pick him up from a small clump of grass when a SECOND one flushed about 18" from my face! Dead one had landed right by him. I 'panic shot' the second when it was still so close that I actually blew him from between his wings. Two wings only fluttered down.

Camped in a one man pup tent in the woods in a very dry fall. Heard coyotes, running steps in the leaves and then BOOM! A deer ran INTO my tent, kicked me in the head! Took me A WHILE to go back to sleep!

.41 magnum man
October 10, 2007, 10:17 PM
I once jumped a rabbit and as I was bringing up the shotgun he ran into a little patch of honey suckle and hit right smack into a grouse. The rabbit did a double take, and the grouse got caught up in the vines for a moment, then they both took off and I didn't get either one.

skidooman
October 11, 2007, 01:58 AM
A few years after I graduated highschool a buddy of mine went to college in chico, ca and was kinda bummed about not really knowing anyone up there, so a few other buddies and I met him at a small lake in northern CA. The 4 of us were sitting around the campfire bull-ishing when we heard a snap-thud, a little ways away. We all were instantly silent, looking at eachother to make sure someone hadnt snuck off to try a sneak attack, and all 4 were accounted for. I slowly grabbed my streamlight and hit the button. There was a small doe standing on a log not 15 feet away with the "oh ish" caught in the headlights look. My buddy said "watch this ima catch that thing" well as you all know deer are much faster than humans. That 15 feet we were away was the closest he ever got to that deer.

stan in sc
October 11, 2007, 11:50 PM
A friend of mine in Georgia was bow hunting for deer.He found a brush pile near a deer trail and settled himself right down in the middle of it.Just at sunset a doe came near him and he slowly rose and drew his bow....just as he heard and felt a snake vibrate on his leg.The arrow went wild and he urinated on himself jumping up and out of the brush pile to discover that the vibrating "snake" was his beeper in his cargo pocket which he has set on vibrate.I have never let him live that one down.

Stan

If you enjoyed reading about "Strange Happenings In The Woods/Scary Hunting Stories" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!