Which Autoloading Pistol Has the Least Expensive Magazines?

PDA

Talonap
October 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
Was looking over various sites and catalogs at magazines . :eek: Major sticker shock! Thought I'd ask everyone what the most cost effective auto-loader, (Pistol), would be as far as spare mags are concerned.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Autoloading Pistol Has the Least Expensive Magazines?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Silvanus
October 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
Glock magazines are very "cost effective". I can buy them for about 15€.

Silvanus
October 5, 2007, 01:36 PM
Glock magazines are very "cost effective". I can buy them for around 16€.

kymarkh
October 5, 2007, 01:37 PM
Glock and XD magazines are reasonable enough to have several onhand for each pistol. 1911 magazines are cheap enough if you stick to 7 round 'GI type' magazines. Some 1911 magazines retail for about 5 times as much as GI - are they 5 times as good? Doubt it.

bluetopper
October 5, 2007, 01:38 PM
Used to be Makarov magazines. Not so sure anymore.

Ala Dan
October 5, 2007, 01:46 PM
Say NO to Taurus MIL-PRO magazines, for they are $36.95 each~! :eek:

bryanZ06
October 5, 2007, 01:56 PM
If you think the Taurus mags are bad buy some for a SIG X-Five.

armoredman
October 5, 2007, 01:58 PM
CZ mags from MecGar, the best aftermarket maker in the world, for full size or compact, are under $20. I agree, 1911 mags are the cheapest for boxes of used, GI type, used to see them for $5 or less.

rcmodel
October 5, 2007, 01:58 PM
Got to be Glock & 1911 surplus.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

foghornl
October 5, 2007, 02:01 PM
USGI mags for 1911...usually under $7 for the 7-rounders.

hkusp
October 5, 2007, 02:12 PM
Novak/ACT 8rd 1911 mags at CDNN for $12.99
Glock 13rd G21 mags at NatchezSS for $13.99
Both great for the price!!!

Obiwan
October 5, 2007, 04:52 PM
"are they 5 times as good? Doubt it."

Yes they are actually......

Most of the problems I see with 1911's are related to crappy mags...and or....crappy ammo

GaryP
October 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
Are you planning to base your pistol purchase decision on the price of spare magazines? :what:

:evil:

Deer Hunter
October 5, 2007, 05:36 PM
FN FAL pistol-carbines.

5 bucks a mag!

trueblue1776
October 5, 2007, 05:43 PM
Browning HP, Beretta 92, and Glock 19

clang
October 5, 2007, 06:44 PM
Almost any gun that was sold to police departments in large numbers.

Usually plenty of used mags on the market.

wally
October 5, 2007, 08:34 PM
Are you planning to base your pistol purchase decision on the price of spare magazines?

I've more $$$ tied up in magazines for most of my range 22s than what the guns cost originally.

I like to stuff the mags in Air-Conditioned comfort before going the the range and spend my time shooting instead of standing there in 95+ heat shoot 10, stuff 10, repeat.....

For centerfire, I consider having enough mags to load 50 rounds a bare minimum unless its a safe queen. I do buy some guns I like with little intent on shooting them beyond a function check -- my P08 Luger is the poster child for this.

Similarly, all my regular range rotation guns have had far more $$$ sent down range in ammo than the original cost of the gun.

--wally.

SouthpawShootr
October 5, 2007, 08:54 PM
About the only thing I've seen cheaper than Glock mags are "contract" 1911 mags. Run about $7 per mag. Probably have to go through 20 of them to find 5 that work reliably.

XD mags run about $25-$27

Sigs...........roughly about $40

H&K...........$40 or so unless you're talking P7 series mags ($60 each right now when you can find them:what:)

S&W...........lists for $40, but depending on what you're looking for, LE turn-in are nearly new and about half or slightly less.

Kahr............same boat as Sigs and H&K

Glock has spoled many of us, I think.

wally
October 5, 2007, 09:07 PM
Kahr............same boat as Sigs and H&K

I don't endorce ProMags, but the ProMags I got for my Kahr CW9 (6 8-rounders, 1 7-rounder) have all been 100%. Buy from a place like MidWay that has a good return policy. Gets you under $20 each.

"contract" 1911 mags. Run about $7 per mag. Probably have to go through 20 of them to find 5 that work reliably

Not in my experience. I've only trashed a couple over the years and usually for the follower not locking back no matter what I tried. A few more have needed minor adjustment of the feed lips, but its pretty trivial to see what needs to be done after comparing the good with the bad.

Most every brand double stack magazine has given me far more trouble than the cheap 1911 "contracts".

Usually plenty of used mags on the market.
But you are taking a gamble, if it needs a new spring you've seriously depleated the savings (not than many of the over-priced factory mags don't have crappy springs -- Para, EAA jump to mind!) and it may be "used surplus" because it doesn't work any more!

Major sticker shock!
You want sticker shock, get in your time machine and try to buy a Glock magazine in Oct 1994...

--wally.

lee n. field
October 5, 2007, 09:20 PM
Used to be Makarov magazines

Oh, those were the days.

XD mags run about $25-$27

XD magazines were an even $20 (http://www.pistolgear.com/products.php?id=8) street price, last time I bought.

Are you planning to base your pistol purchase decision on the price of spare magazines?

Solely? No, but it is a consideration. I like to have a good number of spares, factory made if possible.

SouthpawShootr
October 5, 2007, 09:28 PM
Wally, your comments kind of reinforce what I've seen over the years. Non-OEM or off-brand mags tend to be, in the words of Forrest Gump's mama, like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're going to get. I bought some pre-ban polymer Promags for my G19 during the ban. Price was attractive. I have 10 or so of these and they all work just as well as OEM. With that good experience, I bought a few for a Taurus PT92. Not one of them worked reliably in a gun that never experienced problems with factory. Same with Beretta. Haven't tried the Promags for the Kahr. May think about it. I have a K40 I'm itching to break in and carry.

SouthpawShootr
October 5, 2007, 09:34 PM
XD magazines were an even $20 street price, last time I bought.

You're right. Never tried the people at the link you posted. But, I don't buy alot of these and with the shipping cost, it puts them about $22.50 per mag. Still a good price and a bit cheaper than what I can get them for locally, but not enough savings to make me order vs. buying local.

greg700
October 5, 2007, 09:46 PM
Beretta 92 magazines are very reasonable, are high capacity, and are reasonably reliable.

Probably the best you will do with a modern pistol.

M1 Shooter
October 5, 2007, 09:46 PM
You can get excellent 1911 mags from Metalform and Checkmate for less than $20 each if you don't mind buying in bulk.

JohnKSa
October 5, 2007, 09:50 PM
If you're talking new factory mags, I think Glock's are cheapest.

Talonap
October 24, 2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replies! Sorry it's taken a while to get this out. I think the price of mags should be taken into consideration when purchasing, but should certainly not be the only factor. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for quality, but I don't enjoy being ripped off.:fire:

Thanks again to all!

Trempel
October 24, 2007, 11:15 AM
FN FAL pistol-carbines.

5 bucks a mag!
LOL!:D No, no, no! It has to be the HK-91 pistol carbines then. About $1.20/mag a while back.;)

My guess would be mag prices and availability going to 1911s in .45. Glock mags coming in second. Makarovs and various surplus guns could be in the running, but can those be considered, since they're no longer produced?

One thing - if you want cheap magazines for your pistol, don't by an HK.

Storm
October 24, 2007, 12:21 PM
If you're talking about retail factory mags, the Kel-Tec PF9 at $19.99.

cslinger
October 24, 2007, 12:26 PM
I would have to say Glock has about the cheapest new magazines of the highest quality.

As for P7s, I have 10 M8 magazines that I was paying more for then preban normal / high capacity Glock magazines during the 94 ban years. I have convinced myself they are made out of unobtanium from the meteorite that killed the dinosaurs and crafted by a man named Hans who lives in Tibet with the final step being a blessing from a holy man and rub over the naked bossums of ten virgins. I have to believe this or I will cry at the thought of having $600 in 8 round magazines.

Dravur
October 24, 2007, 01:14 PM
any un-mauled Glock 19 Mag I see for less than $15. I just counted and I have 27 Glock 19 mags.

I only have 4 for my HK P2000 in .40. Wanna know why? They are $40 EACH

I do have 22 HK P7 mags...... but they came a few at a time... with the darned guns.

FN FAL mags? Boxes of em. Still in their wrapper.

Oddly enough, I have not found a good site for BHP 9mm mags. I need a bunch. If anyone sees a good sale, let me know.

Also, you can never have enough 10/22 mags. Got a drawer full. small drawer.

GLOOB
October 24, 2007, 04:16 PM
27 x 15.. hmm, that's 405 rounds. Don't forget to top off with one in the pipe. That'll give ya 406.

10X
October 24, 2007, 04:24 PM
Dravur, check guns4ever.com for Mec Gar 15 round mags. $25.25 each.
They are the best mags I have found.

Euclidean
October 24, 2007, 05:23 PM
An AR15 pistol chambered in 5.56x45 could use AR15/M16 magazines, for instance C Mags or Bravo Company mags, about $13 a pop typically.

possum
October 25, 2007, 05:29 AM
the main issue is getting "cheap" mags that are good mags, like the glock and xd factory mags which are pretty darn easy on the wallet. then you get into the "cheap" mags that are just horrible, i like factory and i have never had issues with using any factory mags, for 1911's chip mccormick mags and the like have done good for me.

brigadier
October 25, 2007, 10:26 AM
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/mausm24010fa.html

I buy those up just to make other stuff out of!

There was a time when I saw Makarov magazines in Gun List and Shotgun News by more then one vendor for $0.25 each (4 for a dollar. That supply dried up very quick.

SDDL-UP
October 25, 2007, 10:40 AM
For 9mm it's Glock hands down! You can buy factory Glock mags all day long for around seventeen bucks. 45ACP 1911 magazines can be inexpensive as well.

That's one place where my CZ's really stumble - getting factory magazines! You just can't get them for less than about thirty-five bucks. Fortunately Mec-Gar makes some that are really good (never given me ANY trouble) and they can be had for right around twenty bucks, sometimes a little less. You want to ONLY use CZ or Mec-Gar magazines in a CZ, others are junk.

SgtKnuckles
October 25, 2007, 11:03 AM
This is the site to shop for Mag's

You can get the Best 1911 for only $15 bucks...
45ACP 8 Round 1911 Shooting Star Stainless Match Grade...
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG277-1605-1856.html

Shooting Star Quality Magazine
Match Grade Shooting Star Magazines with 50% tighter tolerances and used by major manufactures as the issue magazine they select to ship with their guns, insure quality that never suffers from cracked feed lips.
Shooting Star Standard size, Stainless steel 8-Round

Also The Clip Depot
http://www.gunclips.net/co1945cal10a.html

AndyC
October 25, 2007, 02:37 PM
Why not? The US military did when they chose the Beretta over the SIG back in the Joint Services Small Arms Program ;)

JediJJJ
October 25, 2007, 09:31 PM
New Stainless Steel 10rd mags for my Beretta Neos ... $10

Surplus 8rd mags for my CZ-52, with a holster, cleaning rod, and lanyard ... $15

Replacement extra power springs for the CZ-52 mags ... $6

Having everyone in the range stop and stare at the big boom from the 52 after you just finished 100 rds with the Neos ... Priceless

:evil:

XD-40 Shooter
October 25, 2007, 11:06 PM
Last month, when midwayusa had their Springfield magazine sale, I loaded up on 6 (12) round magazines for my XD-40 for $17.99 each. That was a good deal.:D Now with my two factory 10 round mag's, plus a pro-mag that actually works great, I have 9 magazines for this gun. It didn't break the bank either.:D

JohnKSa
October 25, 2007, 11:25 PM
Good prices--especially if you want to buy multiples...

http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?contentID=categoryMain&brand=GL&category=18&mfggroup=0&subCategory=18&catLevel=1&searchItem=&startRow=26

ftierson
October 25, 2007, 11:33 PM
New factory Glock mags are, by far, the best deal out there...

And good, used ones are even cheaper...

And anyone who isn't buying a bunch of the hicap ones while they're available for such low prices simply can't say "NAWB" (New Assault Weapon Ban).

Forrest

10-Ring
October 26, 2007, 01:39 AM
Compared to HK mags, everything else is cheap! For an inexpensive firearm for present & future expense, I would think Glock would be pretty high on that list

obxned
October 26, 2007, 12:24 PM
Since I would never own a pistol with just one or two mags, I always figure the actual cost of a new gun as the price of the gun plus the cost of the required additional magazines.

I think this is a good way to price compare between different pistols. Some inexpensive guns can get really quite expensive when properly equipped. Unless the gun is to be strictly a range shooter, cheap mags are not an option.

kd7nqb
October 26, 2007, 03:00 PM
M&P mags are pretty spendy $43 but factory mags at my local shop. But they keep doing these 2 free mag promotions so that helps (except I bought mine between the promotions) Also no mec-gar mags yet.

goon
October 26, 2007, 04:09 PM
I can understand your point of view but I'd caution you to not buy a handgun based only on which one has the cheapest magazines.
You should shoot some and figure out what you like. If not that, at least handle a few and just buy the one that you like best.
If you wind up with a gun you don't like you will probably end up either not shooting it or getting rid of it. If you sell it used you will almost certainly lose more money than you would have spent just buying what you really liked and investing in a couple good magazines for it.

trueblue1776
October 26, 2007, 04:51 PM
I can understand your point of view but I'd caution you to not buy a handgun based only on which one has the cheapest magazines.

Why?? It's like not buying an H2 if you can't afford gas. I won't buy a rifle if the reloading component prices outweigh the performance advantage.

It pays dividends to do your research and be a smart consumer.

goon
October 26, 2007, 11:18 PM
trueblue - IMO, buying a gun based only on price (initial price or accessories and ammo) is like a little 70 year old lady who has never shot a gun before in her life buying a M-44 Mosin Nagant just because it's cheap.
Nevermind the fact that it would probably weigh too much for her to hold it up and the recoil and blast would probably simultaneously knock her false teeth out and fry her hearing aid...

You're right that price is one thing to consider. But its not the ONLY thing to consider.

XD-40 Shooter
October 26, 2007, 11:48 PM
Head's up guys, midwayusa.com has glock magazines on sale, most models are going for $16.99. I don't own a glock, but I thought I'd let you guys know.:D;)

XD-40 Shooter
October 26, 2007, 11:49 PM
Head's up guys, midwayusa.com has glock magazines on sale, most models are going for $16.99. I don't own a glock, but I thought I'd let you guys know.:D;)

XD-40 Shooter
October 26, 2007, 11:51 PM
Head's up guys, www.midwayusa.com has glock magazines on sale, most models are going for $16.99, just thought I'd let you know.:D

Lobotomy Boy
October 27, 2007, 01:10 AM
Easy--any rifle-caliber pistol that takes common military magazines. I get mags for my Kel-Tec PLR-16 for free. You can't beat that price.

JohnKSa
October 27, 2007, 02:08 AM
www.midwayusa.com has glock magazines on sale, most models are going for $16.99natchez shooters supply has a better deal--especially if you want to buy in bulk. I listed the link above.

Here it is again.

http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?contentID=categoryMain&brand=GL&category=18&mfggroup=0&subCategory=18&catLevel=1&searchItem=&startRow=26

$15.99 for one, $14.99 apiece in quantity of 3, $13.99 apiece if you buy 10.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Autoloading Pistol Has the Least Expensive Magazines?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!