PDA

MicroBalrog
July 11, 2003, 03:33 PM
A Fourth Open Letter
to the Gunowners of the United Kingdom

by Sean Gabb

Published in London
on Wednesday the 16th October 1996

Well, here it is. The Government has now announced its intentions with regard to the Cullen Report - a ban on keeping handguns at home, and a virtual ban on keeping them anywhere else. I was wrong in believing that the Government would only tighten the existing laws, not go for any outright bans. But I was writing before Anne Pearston got on her hind legs at the Labour Party Conference last fortnight. That put an end to any compromise.

On all else, though, I was right. Moderation got you nowhere. Some of you refused to debate until after the Cullen Report had come out. That has meant no debate at all, as the Cullen Report is now waste paper; and the politicians are in no mood to debate anything with you. Some of you spent vast amounts of money on a lobbying company. I have no idea what benefits were bought with this. I hear that most MPs refused even to meet these lobbyists. I saw no full page advertisements in the newspapers, arguing against more gun control. I saw no evidence that any of this money was diverted to a front organisation, able to say things that you could not. Whatever the reason, you all failed to put the real case for guns - that their possession for defence is a moral right and duty. In consequence, you have been hammered. The gungrabbers often call you pathetic creeps who need a hadnful of gunmetal to to convince you of your manhood. There may be some truth in this - but certainly, bearing in mind your collective performance these past few months, it does not work.

However, there is no point in recriminations at the moment. Miracles aside, the correlation of forces in this debate is heavily against you. It looks as if everything Michael Howard promised this afternoon will go through without much delay, and with no softening whatever. If this happens, we are looking at the dissolution of the gun interest in the United Kingdom. Who will want a firearms certificate, and all the official harassment this brings, if the only handgun on offer is a virtual toy that has to be stored away from home? If many handgun owners just give up their certificates, that will mean the closing of most clubs up and down the country. Even without the loss of custom, most gun dealers will be driven out of business. I do not know what will happen to the gun magazines, but I expect most of the present shooting associations will at least shrink. Sitting here in front of my computer - and the BBC has just cancelled a showing of Terminator! - the news could hardly be worse.

Now, you need to think about where to go from here. For me, the answer is simple. The Howard proposals have no personal significance. As I never tire of pointing out, I do not have any guns for the Government to steal, nor have I ever had any. All I have is a burning ideological conviction about the evil of gun control in any form. I have been campaigning against gun control on an off since 1988, and I will continue my campaign in the future.

But how about you, the gunowners of this country? Supposing the Howard proposals do become law, how will you behave? Will you do your "civic duty" and give up your forbidden weapons in the manner prescribed by law? That is what you did after Hungerford. Or will you rather obey the Fundamental Laws of this Realm, which cannot be abolished by any mere enactment of Parliament? The cause of law is not always best served by obedience to any particular law.

I could fill whole books with relevant quotations, but let me give just one that might explain my meaning. It is from St Thomas Aquinas (c1225-74), the leading philosopher of the Roman Catholic Church and a figure of unimpeachable respectability:

Laws are [often] unjust.... [T]hey may be contrary to the good of mankind... either with regard to their end - as when a ruler imposes laws which are burdensome and are not designed for the common good, but proceed from his own rapacity or vanity; or with regard to their maker - if, for example, a ruler should go beyond his proper powers; or with regard to their form - if, though intended for the common good, their burdens should be inequitably distributed. Such laws come closer to violence than to true law.... They do not, therefore, oblige in conscience, except perhaps for the avoidance of scandal or disorder.

(Summa Theologiae, I-II, 96, 4, my translation)

Whether and how you understand this are things for you to decide.

Sean Gabb

http://www.seangabb.co.uk/pamphlet/gunlet04.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Another Sean Gabb Pearl" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
July 11, 2003, 09:20 PM
Moderation got you nowhere.

Always does.

agricola
July 12, 2003, 05:17 AM
i presume that Gabb was happy with the pre-Hungerford system given the start of his activism?

MicroBalrog
July 12, 2003, 05:22 AM
i presume that Gabb was happy with the pre-Hungerford system given the start of his activism?

Doesn't seem so. From the various articles on his site, I'd say the reverse is true. Actually, the question is: Were you?:)

Ryder
July 13, 2003, 05:40 AM
The cause of law is not always best served by obedience to any particular law.

Wow! They can still say that over there? Not for long I'd venture. Can they migrate here now due to political persecution or do they have to wait until the gov't actually begins mass burials?

I was reading this earlier... Smile for the Camera (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_798287.html?menu=news.scienceanddiscovery) . That's a recent science article about how their closed circuit cameras (soon to be a lot more than the lot they already have) and computer software are going to team up and work together to point out the guilty people displaying "abnormal behaviour". "Bosses" (whatever those are) say that suspicious behavior includes suicide attempts (at least it won't be with a gun!), overcrowding (huh, what? That's a crime?), suspect packages ("Attention London shoppers, we have a blue light special on baggage inspections today. Please step to your nearest scanner."), and trespassers (a trespasser on a public subway?). If they weren't so doomed it would be kind of funny.

agricola
July 13, 2003, 07:10 AM
ryder,

you see we have far more experience of "suspect packages" than you, thanks largely to those nice, honest "freedom fighters", who most certainly ARENT terrorists (despite the fact they blow up women and kids) from across the Irish Sea. The last time they tried to liberate the Emerald Isle, by planting a bomb along the Ealing Broadway, CCTV caught the "freedom fighter" as he was going to the scene, which enabled the dirty, evil Special Branch to cruelly nab and imprison the hero and all of his mates when they got caught building more liberation-devices on a Yorkshire farm.

You may also be aware that, because London is a city of seven millions, overcrowding can occur on tube platforms - indeed it happens at Kings Cross and Covent Garden with some regularity. This is dangerous, and the sooner the LU staff are aware of it the better. People also have a habit of jumping under trains and onto the live rail; still, whats their lives when it affects your privacy eh! After all, with you being from London its going to affect you so much!

Oh, and the tube shuts after 0100 most nights. If there is someone in there who isnt a workman or LU employee, they are most likely trespassers. Still, its not RIGHT that they should use CCTV to become aware of him, they should just shoot the guy, right?

:rolleyes:

besides, who wants to migrate to a country that doesnt even play cricket?

Art Eatman
July 13, 2003, 10:01 AM
Aw, now Ag, we got lots of crickets. Great fish bait, for when huntin' season ain't open...

Y'all need to work on a de-population scheme. Seven million in a city is, per your comments, obviously way too many. Heck, move a few million to someplace in Africa and enhance the productivity! I guess productivity would be a break-even in Australia, NZ or Canada...

:D, Art

agricola
July 13, 2003, 12:02 PM
art,

London isnt overcrowded, its just when people all try to go home at the same time, organized chaos can ensue.

MicroBalrog
July 13, 2003, 01:56 PM
you see we have far more experience of "suspect packages" than you,

And my country deals with these "freedom fighters" without any CCTV's.

agricola
July 13, 2003, 02:26 PM
microbalrog,

really? evidence is gathered against those guilty sufficient for trial? or are we talking bombing / bulldozing of houses / internment as "dealing with freedom fighters"?

MicroBalrog
July 13, 2003, 02:37 PM
yes, evidence is gathered, agricola, there's currently a big bunch of Palestinian terrorists in prison or awaiting trial for their crimes.
Besde, I don't claim my country to be civil rights heaven - like you do.

Also, check out:

http://www.relativesforjustice.com/

agricola
July 13, 2003, 02:53 PM
when did i claim that the UK was "civil rights heaven"? CCTV is a device that has proven time and time again its usefulness in criminal investigation especially serious crime. Besides, the freedom fighters we have dont usually blow themselves up along with their victims.

by the way, Channel 4 News in the UK is reporting that an Irish bombmaker has been arrested by the IDF in the West Bank.

MicroBalrog
July 13, 2003, 02:59 PM
by the way, Channel 4 News in the UK is reporting that an Irish bombmaker has been arrested by the IDF in the West Bank.

Saw it in the morning papers. The Irish bombmaker, the Chechen sniper... what next?

the freedom fighters we have dont usually blow themselves up
along with their victims.

The ones worrying me are the ones shooting at Gilo and Sderot with AK's and mortar fire, and, even more, the ones rigging the belts.

Ryder
July 13, 2003, 04:46 PM
Y'all need to work on a de-population scheme.

They are Art, it's called a gun ban. :D

Definately not a way we'd care to live ag. 9000 cameras in two stations?Though we have some small share of these cameras that's just plain overkill.

Here's an idea. Why not just have a policeman search everyone before they leave their home. They could be issued signs to wear around their necks which are permits to walk in public. Probably cheaper and it puts people to work (making signs).

Too bad about that Irish thing. Maybe you should look back at what started it all in order to resolve it. Just a suggestion :)

agricola
July 13, 2003, 05:06 PM
er........ its 9000 over the entire network

The IRA types lost any respect in my eyes when they started blowing up innocents, and besides, you dont romanticize the west bank / gaza strip issue, so dont romanticize this.

Ryder
July 13, 2003, 08:57 PM
Your absolutely right. Ireland is no more my concern than Israel is. But you brought it up. Just trying to be helpful.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another Sean Gabb Pearl" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!