.22 ammo

PDA

nerfsrule2
October 7, 2007, 12:40 AM
What brand and type of .22 cal ammo do you use when you want to do a little more than plink?? (example target practice).

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
V-fib
October 7, 2007, 12:56 AM
Mostly the Federal 550 round bulk pak. I've never had a ftf with the federal. I also use CCI stingers, and Aguila sss rounds. :cool:

earplug
October 7, 2007, 12:57 AM
CCI standard velocity has given me good results.
Cost per brick is decent.

tnieto2004
October 7, 2007, 12:58 AM
Remington 550 pack

351 WINCHESTER
October 7, 2007, 01:10 AM
I've had good luck and good accuracy with federal bulk 38gr hp. Out of 3 or 4 thousand rounds I have only had 1 missfire. That beats remingtons famous golden bullet by a mile. I just bought a bulk pk wincheste xpert. Haven't had a chance to shoot it though although it was highly praised by a good friend of mine.

It's good try different ammo as a lot of .22's are ammo sensitive and .22 ammo, just like center fire varies from lot to lot.

Slugless
October 7, 2007, 02:01 AM
Federal mega pack is fine plinking ammo.

For the next level of accuracy I can't say enough about CCI mini-mag.

I've been testing different ammo lately 'cause .22s are generally finickier than a cat about what ammo they like.

The Eley & Remington Eley are the best I've tested yet. Federal Gold Medal Match are pretty close. Nobels were good.

Basically, the more expensive the ammo, the better it shot.

Except for the CCI. Shot almost as well as any of the fancy euro stuff at half the price.

I have a suspicion, however, that the fancy lead coated stuff gets knocked around some by the action / magazines of the rifle. An advantage of the CCI is the copper coat.

Owens
October 7, 2007, 02:06 AM
I have used both PMC and Rem bulk. My Buckmark seems to favor the Remington solid tip (non hp). PMC also has a peculiar stink that I don't care for. Just re-zeroed the Buckmark for Remington ammo. Rested group of 7/8" at 7yds.

nerfsrule2
October 7, 2007, 10:34 AM
Thank you very much for your help!!!

doc2rn
October 7, 2007, 10:35 AM
Federal Target grade Performance in the 325 round Pack. It is the only stuff I'd want coming out of my Ruger Target. Makes my Savage MKII look pretty good too.

Ala Dan
October 7, 2007, 05:31 PM
I shot 'bout 200 rounds from a brick of Remington "Golden Bullets" yesterday
morning (10-06-07) with my Browning 5-1/2" barrel Buckmark. Amazingly, I
only had one FTF; as the cartridge was a dud~! :scrutiny:;)

The Bushmaster
October 7, 2007, 05:52 PM
Winchester bulk .22 LR (also know as a "brick")

woad_yurt
October 7, 2007, 05:59 PM
For a little more than plinking? CCI Stingers or Velocitors. Out of my 6" barrel H&R revolver, Velocitors almost exited out of new, doubled up 2X4s. The bullet stopped halfway out of the second one. I think Aguila Super Maximums would do just as well (or better) but no one around me stocks them and I don't want to pay shipping until I can get an opinion from someone who's used them. As for target practice, I defer to others' judgments.

bluetopper
October 7, 2007, 06:09 PM
Federal Auto Match in the paper carton.

Superb ammo.

Mad Magyar
October 7, 2007, 06:10 PM
With my S&W Model 34 revolver, the cheapest I can find w/o worry of going Kaboom each & every time...:cool:
However, with autoloaders, I've found through experience that hypervelocity loads produce less jams....Stingers & Yellow Jacket for me...:)

mainebear
October 7, 2007, 06:11 PM
The Remington 550 packs at Walmart have worked good for me as a target round as well as for plinking. They don't have the wump of the stingers, CCI's or Aquila, but I've used them for coons and rabbits with pretty good success.

I think that the quality control on the bulk Remingtons just aren't as good as the higher priced stuff, but you can sure burn through a bunch of ammo punching paper, and the price can add up after awhile.
I've had miserable luck with the Winchester bulk packs. Can't get them to feed worth a darn with either a 10/22 or a Remington 522. Good Luck, Shoot Safe!

jaholder1971
October 7, 2007, 06:17 PM
Define "little more than plink"?

For volume shooting we use Federal and Winchester bulk ammo depending on the rifle. I assist in a local Civil Air Patrol marksmanship program where our cadets all shoot the NRA Light Rifle course and will go through tens of thousands of rounds a year through their Savage Mk 2's pre-accutrigger.

When it's me and my scoped Savage Mk 2FVT it's either Federal Gold Medal or Wolf Match rifle.

51Cards
October 7, 2007, 07:06 PM
Fed Premium Gold, for the cost/quality, I think.
Lapua Midas, if you can afford it and want rested single holes at 50 feet.
Eley Biathlon Match, still too expensive, but excellent.

I can't seem to get the same results (with a Mk III) from anything other than the above ... but for bulk shooting, "Value Pack" is semi-OK.

shooter429
October 10, 2007, 10:52 PM
Remington bulk golden if its cheap enough.

Shooter429

tbtrout
October 10, 2007, 11:44 PM
CCI Mini Mag HP

03Shadowbob
October 10, 2007, 11:46 PM
CCI stingers in my Mark II Target

elkhuntingfool
October 11, 2007, 12:03 AM
Blazer and Remington. Can never have enough of either

Princi
October 11, 2007, 01:08 AM
What drives me crazy about 22's is the lack of consistency. I've used Wolf Match Extra and gotten good results with it... No, in my Remington 597 I got horrible results with it.

17 HMR seems to not have the wide variances that 22's have.

cavman
October 11, 2007, 01:23 AM
I shoot a M41 and it is pretty finicky. (Most .22 brands will have issues in it, except for Eley, Federal Target, and CCI Green Tag.)

The most inexpensive stuff that I have found that it shoots, (that I shoot almost exclusively because of $$), is Dick's Sporting Goods blue box Federal Target. ($16/brick of 500). I have had one fail to eject, only.

Two out of the last three matches in Bullseye I scored in the low 870's/900.

Pistol is tested, they say, in CCI Green Tag; but, on sand bags at 25yds, I can't tell the difference. (I can't shoot off sandbags well enough to tell, tho'). It is way more expensive at $7/100, so I don't bother.

cavman

glockman19
October 11, 2007, 02:40 AM
CCI mini-mag & Blazer 40 grain

AirForceShooter
October 11, 2007, 11:20 AM
The cheapest stuff I can find.
My Beretta NEO shoots anything I stuff in it and my Heritage Rough Rider being a wheel gun doesn't care at all.

AFS

nerfsrule2
October 13, 2007, 02:20 AM
Define "little more than plink"?.. Well Jaholder1971..I would say something like Target shooting, trying to work on your accuracy..

nerfsrule2
October 13, 2007, 02:22 AM
Thank you everyone for your posts...

starpuss
October 13, 2007, 02:27 AM
CCI Mini Mag HP

hksw
October 13, 2007, 09:03 AM
I've been heavily using Wolf Match Extra (through a few CZ 452s, Izmash rifles, irong sighted Kimber 82G), RWS R50 (scoped Kimber 82G, a few Anschützes), and Lapua Midas M and L (a few other Anschütez). Also, as practice ammo, Rem Sub Sonic for the iron sighted Kimber and some old Fed Lightning for the Izmash 7-4 Biathlon I've been regularly shooting for the past couple of weeks.

Average Joe
October 13, 2007, 07:09 PM
Federal 550 value pack, Remington Golden Bullets, or Winchester Dyna points.

CB900F
October 13, 2007, 07:14 PM
Nerfs;

I hunt with my .22's. I have several .22 rimfires I hunt with, & they show the typical 22 snotty attitude about ammo. This one loves that, but the next one shoots the same ammo like the stuff was produced from used cat litter. Go figure.

However, I've had very good performance from the old Winchester PowerPoints & oddly enough the bargain priced Federal American Eagle HP's. I haven't had a chance to try the new plant version of the PowerPoints yet. Bought two bricks of the stuff & found the recall notice before I tried any of it. By the time I got the replacement PowerPoints, the gopher season was over.

Gotta say that I'm not real happy with Winchester over: A. The two year hiatus in production of their .22 rimfire ammo. No excuse for it in this day & age. And B. The ten dollar a brick increase in price!!

What gives Winchester? Is your new plant more inefficient than the old one? Don't even try to play the "cost of materials have gone up" card. Comparable products have most certainly not shown comparable price increases. The Olin/Winchester people owe the shooting public an explanation.

900F

yesit'sloaded
October 13, 2007, 07:26 PM
It's something made in Germany. I can't remember the name other than it starts with R I believe. Box is red, black, and gold.

bass806
October 14, 2007, 03:42 AM
Federal American Eagle on the cheap. If you want to spend a little more for accuracy-go with the Wolf.

22-rimfire
October 14, 2007, 11:16 AM
Overall, the CCI regular mini-mags are one of the better ammunition types. For a while, there were lots of FTF's with Remington Golden Bullets. Now Remington seems to be paying more attention to their quality control. The Remington Thunderbolts just plain su*k due to FTF's and accuracy is so-so. I generally get 1/2" to 3/4" groups with them in my rifles at 50 yds. I just get tired of ejecting FTF's in semi-autos. The Federal Champions do pretty well for medium cheap 22 ammo and my Ruger pistols like them. My Ruger Mark II has always preferred Federal copper plated ammunition.

As you know, 22's are finicky in terms of what ammo they like best from a functionality and accuracy perspective. Generally speaking, the standard velocity ammunition will shoot better than the high velocity stuff. I picked up a bunch of old PMC ammo and have been getting pretty good results with that stuff. Wolf Match and Match Target is very good. As was mentioned, in general, the higher the price, the better the quality control and accuracy of a particular round excluding things like Stingers and Velociters.

For hunting, you really aren't getting much of an improvement in practical killing power when compare standard velocity vs high velocity ammo. But, I do like Velocitors. Generally the standard velocity stuff shoots more consistantly.

Buy some different brands and start shooting with your 22's and see what does best. Shoot at 50 yds with rifles. Much tougher to shoot well at that range vs. 25 yds.

TonyT
October 14, 2007, 11:29 AM
I have used the Aguilla SE standard velocity for most bullseye shooting. Fort plinking in revolvers I prefer the copper plated/washed Federal bulk pack ammo since it shows less fouling in the cylinders.

XD-40 Shooter
October 14, 2007, 01:53 PM
I've been using 40 grain PMC zapper's with great sucess. I bought a case of 2500 rounds for $60.:D

mekender
October 16, 2007, 03:02 PM
ive got an old sears and roebuck .22 semiauto rifle, because of its age, if i dont use high-velocity ammo, it will FTE all day long... i stopped using super x ammo because of that... never have had a problem with the federal brown ox though, well i say that but i still get one or two FTE's until the gun warms up a bit

cslinger
October 16, 2007, 03:06 PM
Most of the time I shoot CCI Mini Mags. As for super cheap bulk stuff either Federal 550 packs or Winchester Dynapoints. The Dynapoints are the better ammo IMO.

Chris

hksw
October 16, 2007, 09:27 PM
It's something made in Germany. I can't remember the name other than it starts with R I believe. Box is red, black, and gold.

That would be RWS.

Bartkowski
October 16, 2007, 09:36 PM
I use the remington thunderbolts mostly because of the price, but they shoot better than anying out of my gun, and out of thousands of rounds I have never had a dud, unlike federal bulk packs or remington golden bullet.

mike6161
October 16, 2007, 11:35 PM
I have a ruger single six convertible with a 6.5 inch barrel and a 10/22 I mostly shoot cci blazer from when they were still made by Blount Inc. I shot many but that’s what I like because they used true smokeless powder un like the new stuff ware its cheep smokeless that clogs the action. I shot about 50 Remington golden bullets and got 8 FTFs so I sold it to my brother:neener: I shot many American eagle but I could not get good groups I have used super x they were good but not like cci
When I shoot mages I go with cci or Winchester I get good groups with them for varmint I used cci shorts Until I had a skunk in my trap so I got my gun covered the trap with a tarp lifted it a little bit the skunk came up and I shot it in the head AND IT DID NOT DIE:what: I shot that thing in the head 3 times and on the last time I got the payload in the face:fire: so I filled up the garbage can with water and put him in:evil:. so DO NOT USE 22 SHORT FOR VARMINT
From now on I will be using something like a 44 magnum;)

Mike

Steve C
October 17, 2007, 07:20 PM
For target practice I use inexpensive bulk ammo like Remington Goldens for Wally Mart. For score I and my pistol like Winchester WXT target standard velocity, Wolf Match or Match extra, CCI Green tag, Winchester Dyna Points.

CajunBass
October 19, 2007, 05:55 AM
Mostly Federal bulk pack stuff, from either Wally-World, or the local gun store/range. It's more accurate than I can shoot. I can't shoot for hoot, but it's not the ammo's fault.

Okiecruffler
October 19, 2007, 06:25 AM
All my guns are different, but I can usually find a flavor of Aguila that will shoot right along side the expensive stuff. Their match pistol is a perfect match for my Dan Wesson.

Mikeo
October 19, 2007, 07:26 AM
CCI, for the most part, but I will shoot Federal bulk ammo in my Rough Rider. It's plenty accurate, and goes boom everytime. In my .22/45, the Federal will FTF, on occasion, so I use the CCI Minimag or std velocity in it.

Greek
October 19, 2007, 10:56 AM
Federal 550 pack for me too. Although i have purchased some .22 LR from the CMP in the past. The Federal is pretty clean.

deck52
October 21, 2007, 10:52 AM
CCI Green Tags.

351 WINCHESTER
October 21, 2007, 04:57 PM
Federal champion 40gr rn, bulk pack. $10.90 at Walmart. I bought some several years and haven't found anything in bulk that even comes close. The other night I got another brick and asked the clerk if he had any more. That was all he had left. I know all ammo varies from lot to lot, but it was cheap enough.

I don't even bother with remington's famous golden bullet. That's what I used to buy before stingers hit the market. I thought all those missfires and inconsistency was normal for a .22. Haven't bought any in years, but my neighbor did and the very first round was a dud. I've complained to remington numerous times about their crappy golden bullet. I guess as long as people buy it they will continue making it.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!