In a combat zone with no zero

PDA

Aaryq
October 7, 2007, 04:43 AM
Howdy folks. Just after next weekend (it's the 7th of October) I go to Iraq. I'm in the Marines and I have no opportunity to zero my rifle. Any idea for the dope on an M16 for short range for a lefty?

If you enjoyed reading about "In a combat zone with no zero" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
striker3
October 7, 2007, 04:51 AM
If you haven't BZO'd before you get in country, you will BZO before you leave the wire. It is mandatory, and just about every base has a range. In fact, it is the prefered method to BZO your weapon in the climate and altitude that you will be fighting in, that stuff really makes a difference. If anyone tries to send you outside the wire without giving you the opportunity to BZO your weapon, refuse and Request Mast.

Nobody can tell you what dope to put on your weapon, every weapon is different. Once a weapon has been BZO'd, it will be accurate enough for most combat applications for most shooters that may pick it up, but you have to get that initial BZO first.

dm1333
October 7, 2007, 07:17 AM
Aaryq,

Don't take this as a criticism but did you talk to any of your NCO's before you posted here? My advice to any Marine, sailor, Coastie, etc. is that before you go talking to an officer, the Command Master Chief, etc. talk to your chain of command.

sanchezero
October 7, 2007, 10:43 AM
You make it outta Kuwait without zeroing unless you're an officer.

JamisJockey
October 7, 2007, 10:48 AM
Devil Dog, we ain't in your chain of command. Bitches go up.
As for ideas.....
Have you BZO'd this weapon before, or did you just draw them recently?
If they aren't NIB, then its probably not too far off....or at least the front post is probably adjusted.

IA_farmboy
October 7, 2007, 01:35 PM
I agree with the posts above, you will have the opportunity to zero your weapon before you even get close to combat. If for some reason you fall through the cracks take it up with your chain of command.

Even with my VERY short time in the Army I was taught how to zero my rifle on my own. In a worst case scenario I'd think you could find a bit of time in a safe place to construct an "informal firing range" and zero your weapon to the point you could hit man sized targets out to 200 yards.

I mean no disrespect but I have to ask, were you not taught how to zero your own weapon?

AndyC
October 7, 2007, 01:43 PM
If you haven't BZO'd before you get in country, you will BZO before you leave the wire. It is mandatory, and just about every base has a range.
Yep - you'll find that there's usually something like a 50-yard test-fire area just before exiting the base.

bogie
October 7, 2007, 01:53 PM
Quickie boresight...

Take the upper off, and the bolt out. Point it at something, and bed it down with sand bags. Look through it,until something interesting is in the middle of the bore. Look through the sights/optics. Are they pointed at the same thing? If not, adjust them. Yeah, you'll probably move the thing a little, so re-aim through the bore a few times. When they're both pointing at the same thing, you're good.

This'll get you "chest cavity" at 100 yards. Not "head."

Jinzoningen80
October 7, 2007, 05:21 PM
Last time I went to the sandbox, my unit spent 30 days in kuwait before heading north. There are dozens of ranges out in the desert and we zeroed and trained there. Every FOB in iraq, even the little outpost i visited, had a zero range.

Geno
October 7, 2007, 05:36 PM
JamisJockey said:

As for ideas.....
If they aren't NIB, then its probably not too far off....or at least the front post is probably adjusted.

My 13 year old daughter reads here at THR, usually over my shoulder. I would thank-you to use some other form to express yourself. We take The High Road pretty serious around here.

Doc2005

Robert Hairless
October 7, 2007, 05:59 PM
LTC. Chuck Santose knows what he's doing. (http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw) should be able to help you, and is the kind of person who will, I think. He frequents the 1911 Forum and uses the screen name "Chuck S" there. Look up his Profile there and send him an e-mail.

Jorg Nysgerrig
October 7, 2007, 07:29 PM
I can't imagine they are dropping you straight into Iraq. You need to talk someone there and see if you're stopping over at Camp Buehring/Udairi prior to going over the border. Every person I know that's been deployed to Iraq has spent time in Kuwait first.

KC&97TA
October 8, 2007, 01:25 AM
Depending on unit, he may only spend 2 days in Kuwait, then 2 days on a FOB with an Air Strip. Center and Flush your rifle, as soon as you get to a FOB and unpack, that will be the time to BZO... make sure your chain of command knows you need to BZO that Rifle. I doubt you'll see this post...

The first time I went to Iraq, I made it all the way to Camp Fallujah March 8 2004 w/o a BZO... but I had one on March 9th, and it proved to be a good BZO in less than a week I'd already shot several times with success. The Battle of Fallujah, Vigilant Resolve, proved that the optics and irons were as good as they'd get, but we weren't snipers by any means. We BZO'd our Iron Sights and ACOGs, which the Corps is now calling RCO's, on each pay day, so 2x per month, reguardless.

There are units and Marines that will never fire thier weapons while in Iraq, they won't fire a single round... luckly I've only had to do 1 stinking long tour of not being a trigger puller, my second, working for a bunch of Women, since they couldn't kill us in actual combat, they wanted to kill us through slave driveing and stupid projects, (I'm being nice, if you ever meet me in person I'll tell you exactly how I feel about "them chicks", not that I have a distain for all females in the military, hell I'm married to one, there's just 2 female officers that were scraped from the bottom of the barrel and never should have held a command, they were fueled by a guy that should have just retired or died of natural causes, unfortunetly these 3 individuals are still holding commands, but I'll never be stationed in an area they command ever, ever again, I'll suck start my M4 before going back to that style of madness). I Never fired a shot on my second tour, only was issued a mag of 30 rounds, only carrying 27 of them, the other 3 sat in a foot locker...

I should probly delete that last pagraph... there are 5 Marines in SUPPORT Roles for every Infantry Man, not all Marines are Shooters, of those 5 Marines in Support roles, maybe 2 of the 5 are outside the wire routinely.

Steve in PA
October 8, 2007, 01:41 AM
Let me guess, your MOS is not infantry is it?

Grunts are assigned rifles and would have qualified with them before being allowed to go overseas. Its all part of the MEU being qualified to be deployed.

At least thats how it was when I was in the Corps.

possum
October 8, 2007, 01:46 AM
I can't imagine they are dropping you straight into Iraq. You need to talk someone there and see if you're stopping over at Camp Buehring/Udairi prior to going over the border. Every person I know that's been deployed to Iraq has spent time in Kuwait first.

that is exactly where i went prior to both of my deployments, we re confirmed zeros and test fired all our weapons and weapon sysytems in kuwait before going north. including m231's, bradleys 25mm, coax, saws, personal weapons, and everything that was extra in the arms room .

Flak_Jakett
October 8, 2007, 02:24 AM
25mm coax

YES!!! That's what I'm talking about!!!

Hehe I know what you meant, but a 25mm coax would be an awesome weapon yeah?

possum
October 8, 2007, 02:46 AM
that would be an awesome weapon i am sorry i left out the comma.

but i guess technically the m242 bushmaster 25mm chaingun is a coax to the m240c coax, because they are coaxial?:confused:

swingset
October 8, 2007, 05:16 AM
JamisJockey said:

As for ideas.....

My 13 year old daughter reads here at THR, usually over my shoulder. I would thank-you to use some other form to express yourself. We take The High Road pretty serious around here.

Doc2005
_________

Bitching (meaning to complain), as he used it, is not what I'd consider lewd or vulgar speech - certainly not anything that should scar a 13 year old....but whatever. Didn't mean to bit....err....complain about your sidetrack.

bogie
October 8, 2007, 05:36 AM
Listen, dumbbleep...

NOT EVERY NONCOMBATANT IS A NONCOMBATANT.

If it hadn't been for the "noncombat" troops of the Red Ball Express, it would be quite likely we'd all be speaking German today.

And as was impressed into my skull back around 1985... "Todays' battlefield knows no boundaries - There is no rear."

Yeah, well, there are technically REMFs... But they do their thing so that the guys at the pointy end of the stick do their thing. If your current gig, per Unca, is being a REMF, be the best damn REMF you can be... and keep your stuff squared away.

Sheesh.

As for bitching? I ain't begun.

If you enjoyed reading about "In a combat zone with no zero" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!