Rare Gun?

PDA

Flammable
October 7, 2007, 01:01 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here and I'm not so sure how much I will actually hang out here, I'm not old enough to buy guns yet, but who knows I might get the bug someday. Anyways I was going through my basement yesterday, and I found a paper that said what all my grandpa had brought back from WWII. It had a german rifle and other things. Next to this paper was a pistol. The pistol however was not listed on the paper. I asked my mom about it and she said that my grandpa had got it off of someone that was dead.

Anyways, This gun is in really good shape considering its age, and how old it is. It has been fired quite a bit, as it has some blueing on it. But I cannot see to find another pistol like it! It is very, very close to the Nagant Revolver, but not quite, as its only a six shot, also the grips and ejection rod assembly are different too. I'll post up some pics, and maybe you guys can help. I'd really like to learn about this gun! Thanks in advance! Oh, and as for markings. On the barrel is has a Crown over an R, which I understand to mean its a rifled barrel? There is also a M with a star over it. There are some numbers, but I couldn't find anything on them either. Also, most of the nagant markings were on the left side, all of these markings are on the right. As the the cylinder, there is a Ring shape with C over LG in the ring. Not sure if that helps at all.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/hotaction69stang/PICT0204.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/hotaction69stang/PICT0203.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/hotaction69stang/PICT0202.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/hotaction69stang/PICT0201.jpg

Thanks again!

If you enjoyed reading about "Rare Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
October 7, 2007, 02:11 PM
The Crown over an R is a Belgium Proof marks which indicates it is Belgium made. It is not a military arm or rather I can't find any reference to it as a military arm. I believe it is just one of the many firearms turned out by the Belgium industry prior to WWII. Yes it has Nagant features but the Russians wasn't the only country to use Nagant design pistols and not all of them had the sliding cylinder as the 1895 Russian Nagant does. Norway, Sweden and there was a South American country that used a Nagant designed revolver. I'm sure there were more. The designer of the Nagant revolver was Emil and Leon Nagant, Belgium gunmakers. Perhaps some one has more information to help you ID it. By the way, rare? no, scarce? perhaps. A Mauser made .380 luger is rare, only 4 made, only 2 located.

bluetopper
October 7, 2007, 05:12 PM
Go over to the forums on gunboards.com......there is a wealth of knowledge over there!!!

BobMcG
October 7, 2007, 05:18 PM
Please tell us that you were using the LED screen and not looking through the view finder on the camera to capture photo #2.... right???

Gord
October 7, 2007, 08:39 PM
Please tell us that you were using the LED screen and not looking through the view finder on the camera to capture photo #2.... right???

Are you one of those guys who doesn't do bore checks on principle? :neener:

If the weapon has been cleared, there is no harm in looking down the bore.

MikePGS
October 7, 2007, 08:43 PM
Huh it looks like the mosin like Ron was saying, but not quite. If you find out what it is, let us know, and also welcome to THR. If you stick around, i'm sure you'll learn more about guns than you ever thought you'd want to know :D

Flammable
October 7, 2007, 09:29 PM
Actually yes, I was looking through the LED screen. But I had already had the cylinder and everything out, so I knew nothing was in it...except some rust.

bannockburn
October 7, 2007, 10:10 PM
It looks like any number of revolvers made in Liege, Belgium in the late 1800's through the early 1900's. Many were copied after the Webley Bulldog; in fact, some of them were marked "British Bulldog" on the barrel. Calibers ranged from .32 to .45.

Flammable
October 7, 2007, 11:23 PM
So, since there are so many versions of this gun. It probably not worth a lot. But I'll hold on to it just so that it can be passed down through the family. It's gonna go right in with my grandpa's display case I want to build.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rare Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!