Anyone Have or Use A CCW Badge ?

PDA

SevenMichael
October 7, 2007, 04:25 PM
There are several web sites which offer CCW Badges. I'm just curious if anyone out there has one of these badges ?

If so, what was your reason for getting it ? Have you ever "used" or "revealed" it ? Under what circumstances ?

Would it be of any benefit to have one to show an LEO ? In what circumstances ?

Here's a couple of links to a site that sell the badges, so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://www.maxarmory.com/index.php?p=product&id=639&parent=45

http://www.maxarmory.com/index.php?p=product&id=619&parent=41

Thanks for your input. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone Have or Use A CCW Badge ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
October 7, 2007, 04:32 PM
This question has been asked before, with an almost universally negative response. I personally believe there is no legitimate use for them and that arriving police are going to take a very dim view of someone flashing one of these badges.

Mannix
October 7, 2007, 04:41 PM
IMO, they're just worthless mall ninja crap.

I mean if you flash a badge at an officer, it's going to take a second for him to notice it's just a CCW badge, and then the officer will more than likely consider you to just be another LE wannabe. If you need to show an officer that you're armed, show him your carry permit.

Ohen Cepel
October 7, 2007, 04:49 PM
Don't have one, don't want one. I think it's foolish bordering on real stupid.

Phydeaux642
October 7, 2007, 04:55 PM
I carry my CCW permit, as required by law, so no badge for me. I'd feel like a 10 year old playing cops and robbers if I did.

"Phydeaux, bad dog....no biscuit!"

Crunker1337
October 7, 2007, 05:01 PM
I think they're utterly useless. Carry your license with you and show it to LE.

Fisherman_48768
October 7, 2007, 05:01 PM
Haven't heard of one of those badges stopping an assault yet< I'd much rather pull my weapon instead.

yesit'sloaded
October 7, 2007, 05:07 PM
The only possible reason I can see for having one is to keep it on your holster so that if some sheep sees it they won't freak out and call the cops for a man with a gun call. Other than that I hear they make nice shiny targets out at 100 yards.

Brian Williams
October 7, 2007, 05:09 PM
Not only no but NO !!!!!

SevenMichael
October 7, 2007, 05:10 PM
I have a real-life example where such a badge "MIGHT" be useful.

While driving one day, I apparently wasn't driving fast enough and didn't move over quick enough for a road-raged guy behind me. Not only did he flip me off and yell irrately; when we stopped at a light a couple of blocks ahead, he got out of his car and came to my window and continued ranting and cussing me. So hard in fact, he was spitting on my window.

I definitly felt I was in physical danger, and was glad I had my doors locked and windows up; even though he did not show any weapons. At the time I did not have my CCW; but I've often thought about that event and questioned myself as to whether or not I would have drawn or revealed it to him.

Any thoughts from any one on whether or not one of these CCW Badges would acheive anything in such a situation ?

As angry as this guy was, I'm not certain he would have know it wasn't an LEO badge or not .... and if he took the time to look at it closely, he would then know there was a chance I was carrying.

So, what are your thoughts ?? :confused:

Fisherman_48768
October 7, 2007, 05:19 PM
If your going to flash a badge and get laughed at for the effort, at least pull a badge that will cause them to laugh so hard they fall over. This is what I'd flash-disarms em everytime. http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a149/Fisherman_48768/Brothelinspector.jpg

Rexster
October 7, 2007, 05:19 PM
I don't always carry my police badge when off the clock and in plain clothes. Fake badges, and real badges carried by unauthorized persons, have become so prevalent that few give much credence to badges these days around here. As for flashing a badge to stop an assault, please be advised that flashing a badge just may get you killed instead of merely stomped. Back to the original questions: NO! NO! & NO!

Ala Dan
October 7, 2007, 05:22 PM
as I don't need no stinking badge~! :D

I had to wear (or carry) a real police badge for years as a sworn officer; but now that I'm
retired, its just a memory~!

2RCO
October 7, 2007, 05:36 PM
CCW Badges have one great use--Labeling yourself as an Uber-Dork and letting everyone else know you probably keep a spare tinfoil hat alongside your Nunchuck and throwing star collection. It will probably also help to explain the ductaped body armor you wear on your back.

The Bushmaster
October 7, 2007, 05:43 PM
A CCW Badge...Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...Quit. Yer killing me...Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....Go ahead and get one. It's yer money...But don't let a cop see it and I wouldn't flash it in public......:D :D :D :D

You might have more authority if you have Crossing Guard badge. No...On second thought. That insults crossing guards...:neener:

LeonCarr
October 7, 2007, 05:45 PM
Also a good way to get arrested for impersonating a police officer.

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 7, 2007, 06:19 PM
There's no need to make disparaging comments towards the OP. He's only got 32 posts, so I doubt he's seen all of the other CCW badge threads. Give him a break.

As for the badges, like others have said, the only possible use I can see for one is if you wore it next to your weapon, and if it got exposed, there would be no "man with a gun" phone calls by paranoid soccer moms.

But I've learned that simply dressing and presenting yourself nicely alleviates all of that hassle as well. I don't really make an attempt to conceal that much, and even open carry when I feel like it. I just make a point to wear nice clothes, like khakis and polos, stay shaved and have a good haircut. So far no one has said a single thing about my weapon.

Now if one dresses like a slob, punk or gangbanger, than yeah, you would need a badge of some sort and hope that you got written off as a plainclothes or UC cop.

jaholder1971
October 7, 2007, 06:19 PM
Nuff' Said

Erik
October 7, 2007, 06:50 PM
LEOs carry guns and have badges. If that descibes you, "thank you for your service." If it does not, "leave the novelty badges at home."

bakert
October 7, 2007, 07:02 PM
Aw come on now. Someone here has to have one:D:D

BobMcG
October 7, 2007, 07:56 PM
Shows how up on things I am... never heard of such a thing. :barf:

I do like the Brothel Inspector badge though. How do I get one? :D

Wayne G.
October 7, 2007, 08:04 PM
Probably wanna-be cops and mall ninjas....

AND THIS GUY!
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=65354&stc=1&d=1192074041

6_gunner
October 7, 2007, 08:04 PM
Aw come on now. Someone here has to have one

I would get one just for a joke/conversation piece, but I've never even seen one before. I'll bet somebody around here has one that they bought just for the heck of it.

The Lone Haranguer
October 7, 2007, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by SevenMichael:
I have a real-life example where such a badge "MIGHT" be useful.

While driving one day, I apparently wasn't driving fast enough and didn't move over quick enough for a road-raged guy behind me. Not only did he flip me off and yell irrately; when we stopped at a light a couple of blocks ahead, he got out of his car and came to my window and continued ranting and cussing me. So hard in fact, he was spitting on my window. [...]

I don't think that would have helped, and might even have escalated the situation. Your ride has a "go pedal" for a reason. ;)

Fisherman_48768
October 7, 2007, 09:28 PM
BobMcG:I do like the Brothel Inspector badge though. How do i get one? Either by spending a lot of time around a brothel or get one like I did, Visited Tombstone, Az. 5 bucks or so.

Gord
October 7, 2007, 09:31 PM
Your ride has a "go pedal" for a reason.

Just what I was thinking.

Sistema1927
October 7, 2007, 10:29 PM
This topic, again?

IBTL

M2Pilot
October 7, 2007, 10:44 PM
I had to go through years of intensive training to get my Brothel Inspector Badge and wear it proudly,but I wouldn't wear or carry or display a CCW badge.

full-auto
October 7, 2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah, umm... no. Not a good idea.

BlindJustice
October 7, 2007, 11:33 PM
Badges? We dont need no steenkn badges!

RPCVYemen
October 8, 2007, 10:56 AM
Any thoughts from any one on whether or not one of these CCW Badges would achieve anything in such a situation ?

You might achieve a new level of eloquence explaining to a judge that you really weren't impersonating an officer during a road rage incident. :)

You might achieve a new level of understanding of LEO attitudes towards people who flash phony badges during road rage incidents. :)

As angry as this guy was, I'm not certain he would have know it wasn't an LEO badge or not .... and if he took the time to look at it closely, he would then know there was a chance I was carrying.

Nope, he would have dialed 911 and told them that a man who had tried to run him off the road flashed a badge at him, and claimed to be a police officer. Then a police officer stops you and finds a phony police badge. Good luck with that one!

Of course maybe you are counting on ranting, cussing, spitting man to be calm honest and truthful.

Mike

Big Az Al
October 8, 2007, 01:11 PM
All of the negatives above pretty well sum it up.

As to the road rage above,

Either drive away or mentally prepare yourself to shoot it out,

but never

NEVER

clown around with toy's in real life!!!!!!!!!!

The cop that raised me adds,

or admit show or tell an Irate A**hol& that you are armed, the courts have construed that as a threat of violence, even assualt to many times

highfive
October 8, 2007, 02:36 PM
No, No, and No for me that's nonsense

Kimber1911_06238
October 8, 2007, 02:43 PM
No, but I regularly wear my "Hot Body Inspector" badge

Erik
October 8, 2007, 03:25 PM
"Any thoughts from any one on whether or not one of these CCW Badges would acheive anything in such a situation?"

Yes, you'd be running the risk of being arrested for impersonating a peace offcier charge in most juris dictions. At least a misdemeanor and possibly a felony depending on your local. ***The #1 reason to avoid carrying such novelty items.***

BobMcG
October 8, 2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks Fisherman. The $5 isn't bad but the distance is. :)

At any rate... I'll be! I just read to end of the Nov issue of GUNS magazine last night and in the back is this ad. Thought I'd share it with others who also weren't up on these badges.

See? It's right there... they're for collectors! :D

TimboKhan
October 8, 2007, 05:10 PM
It might save my life, but I don't think it would protect me from all the laughter that I would have to live with. I can't even begin to imagine the raw amount of crap that I would take if I walked into my local gunshop waving that around. Mall Ninja all the way.

tegemu
October 8, 2007, 05:35 PM
The primary function of these badges is to scam money from Mall Ninja's and the unknowing neophyte.

springmom
October 8, 2007, 05:52 PM
Good Lord, no. I have my CHL and carry it with my DL, as required by Texas law. Carry badges are for cop wannabes and are nothing but useless.

Springmom

ABTOMAT
October 8, 2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks Fisherman. The $5 isn't bad but the distance is.

At any rate... I'll be! I just read to end of the Nov issue of GUNS magazine last night and in the back is this ad. Thought I'd share it with others who also weren't up on these badges.

See? It's right there... they're for collectors!

"Identify yourself"??? Doesn't that sort of go against the whole "concealed" aspect?

yesit'sloaded
October 8, 2007, 08:39 PM
So what exactly is it supposed to save your life from? Some nutjob shooting people that don't have a Concealed Carry badge?

mgregg85
October 8, 2007, 09:13 PM
If someone really wanted to couldn't they just hold up the damn CCW liscense and shout CCW holder like crazy. Perhaps the local PD would recognize the color and shape of the liscense instead of being confused by a strange looking badge thing in a fake leather holder.

Phydeaux642
October 8, 2007, 09:17 PM
I think it saves your life by not allowing the bullet to penetrate when you get shot in the pocket.:neener:

"Phydeaux, bad dog....no biscuit!"

Mad Magyar
October 9, 2007, 10:47 AM
I think it would serve a useful purpose if the wearer was mentally & physically deficient in a severe manner. Predatory BG's are looking for marks exiting Wally World during evening hours & might pause enough to pass on this individual...
It's kind a like having a fake burglar alarm sign staked next to your window.:p

TonyB
October 9, 2007, 02:07 PM
My Father used to ride motorcycles with a bunch of cops.....everytime they got pulled over(alot)they'd whip out the badges and be on their way.....my Father ended up getting a "Little Sherriff"badge and putting it in his wallet...he'd whip it out when he was with them at a traffic stop...usually got a chuckle from the cop....if he was alone however,he wouldn't use it.
As for the CCW badges......just one more thing to weigh my pants down.:uhoh:

raveneap
October 9, 2007, 02:58 PM
For all of the reasons already stated, a most emphatic NO!

oldie
October 9, 2007, 03:46 PM
OK . . . I'll add another one . . . NO!!!

Geronimo45
October 9, 2007, 04:06 PM
It has the potential to be handy in some situations. Your gun is flashed in the grocery store, Suzie Q the soccer mom sees the badge and doesn't start screaming 'Gun! Gun! Guy with a gun!' There are some confrontations where a badge might avoid trouble with BGs... but those are iffy.
If the State of Texas decides to issue me a badge for my CHL, then I'll carry one. Until that time, or until my Mall Ninja skills get me drafted into the Dallas SWAT team or CONTROL, I think I'll forego badges.

KevininPa
October 9, 2007, 04:11 PM
That's just the sillest, darn thing I've seen yet! If I were 6 years old again I might think it's neat. Keep in mind that cops-n-robbers wasn't played on TV back when I was little.

Kevin in Pa

ArchAngelCD
October 9, 2007, 07:00 PM
Are you supposed to wear this thing on your shirt or coat like a kid playing cops & robbers?

Why would anyone wear a CCW badge? Just open carry instead of playing like you're a cop. I thought the whole idea of carrying concealed was to keep your firearm concealed.

sm
October 9, 2007, 08:36 PM
CCW Badges have been discussed numerous times and I am on record as being against them.

Still...This topic will come up again so this time I am going to reply from the BGs Perspective.
Since I read people, places and things.

Setting : Mall
Reason : Girl Dumped me, put out a Restraining Order on me.

I am going to shoot anyone that looks at me, and points.
Running and screaming folks, just make for such Power Control and builds my Self Esteem.

Mall Cops, are going to get popped, never did like them folks strutting around and hitting on others with eyes, or just downright doing so.
Real Cops working the Mall, darn right I am going to pop them , they are serious and trained.

Flash a CCW Badge and your butt is another <spit> one I am going to pop...Wannabe Fake <expletive>...

Photo vests, fanny packs, 5.11 Jeans, 5.11 Boots, Gun hats, T shirts...
I am going to shoot anyone and anything that has anything advertising anything to do with guns, gear, tactical, Military, LEO....

BG remember? What the heck do I care? I don't
I am on a Power Trip, and anything that "Advertises" Authority or a threat to me - I am going to shoot.

--

Setting: Diner
Reason : Reason : Girl Dumped me, put out a Restraining Order on me.

First folks I shoot entering the door, is the folks in the corner, watching the front.
I own that corner, they are boxed in, and I shoot them first.
Any cops of course, and anyone that again "Advertises" anything I perceive to mean a threat to me.
Photo vest, fanny pack, Black Clothing, Tactical this...

The person I fear, or should if a BG were to actually think.
Is the persons that do not look, or act, like anything other than just regular folks.

60 y/o guy with a Colt DS in britches pocket
62/y/o lady, with a IWB 1911 under that Linen Jacket that looks nice with dress casual pants.
Biker looking fellow, with colors...my mistake is thinking this dude with a Buck 110 is a low life jerk, so what does he care?
No, that fellow is husband, CCWs a Model 19 and knows how to use it.
Lady or Gent in Scrubs, works in a Hospital...

--

Badges mean "Authority" perhaps to a BG.
It does not matter if that is Badge, or Emblem on Clothing, or Employee Badge.
On Duty, Off Duty, Out of Town, Constable, County, City, State, Fed, Cop, Fire Dept, EMT, Elevator Inspector, Boiler Inspector, Armored Car Guard, Security Guard...or some $7 an hour petitie lady that works in housekeeping at the Motel 6 with a Employee badge.

BG sees a Badge, that is a target.

Owens
October 10, 2007, 08:45 AM
Can't think of a legitimate reason to have one, except to provide a BG with a good aim point.

SevenMichael
October 10, 2007, 06:54 PM
WOW ! Thought this was "The High Road" !!!! :confused:

Let me apologize for not finding the other threads where this question was presented.

Also, let me apologize for asking a simple but serious question. Geeezzzzzz, I had no idea it would piss off so many people just to ask a question. I thought that was what these forums are for. :eek:

Well, I've learned my lesson here...... Doubt I'll ever get more than 33 posts.

And, don't let me forget to thank you for all the "helpful" comments. I can take a joke and a ribbing as much as the next guy, but you guys make it personal ! :uhoh:

Big Boomer
October 10, 2007, 08:21 PM
Ya great job guys! You showed him! One less naive person asking about those CCW badges, it's not like they advertise the darn things in every friggin firearms magazine out there.

If you hate them so much tell the magazines to stop letting people advertise them or you won't resubscribe. Write a letter of condemnation, etc. don't just pounce on the poor guy for asking the question.

Now go huff and puff and club a baby seal. :rolleyes:

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 10, 2007, 09:03 PM
CCW badge discussion aside,

sm, I highly doubt that vast majority of bad guys have any idea about 5.11, photo vest and fanny pacs, and all of that other tacticool stuff.

elkhuntingfool
October 10, 2007, 09:24 PM
Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!

Justin
October 10, 2007, 09:59 PM
Are you a mouth-breathing dimwit with too much disposable income?

Why, then a CCW badge may be just the thing for you!

HammerBite
October 10, 2007, 10:11 PM
Order Toll Free $39
MSRP $69.00
You Save $20.00

SigfanUSAF
October 10, 2007, 10:32 PM
Nice thread. When did fanny backs become tacticool?

fanny pacs, and all of that other tacticool stuff

Erik
October 10, 2007, 10:32 PM
Someone asked why anyone would wear/carry one?

The answer is to give the impression that they are a LEO under certain circumstances. That's a bad idea for two reasons:

1. It is illegal.
2. Some bad guys target LEOs.

Geronimo45
October 10, 2007, 11:06 PM
1. It is illegal.
Impersonating an officer is illegal. Wearing a fanny pack and 5.11 wardrobe doesn't constitute impersonation... when you claim that you're an officer is when you're violating the law. I can drive a black car, wear a black fanny pack, be duded up to no end with police-type clothes. I could even get a police jacket - but when I start trying to do things by virtue of my non-existent cop status, I'm violatin' the law.
N.B. Fanny packs should be illegal. :D

Big Boomer
October 11, 2007, 01:56 AM
Geronimo 45 Spewed: N.B. Fanny packs should be illegal.

And just where else am I supposed to carry my pistol when I am biking? I don't think I could fit any of my carry guns in my little biker shorts :rolleyes:

I think the word tactical should be banned how bout that!

ArchAngelCD
October 11, 2007, 02:29 AM
I think the word tactical should be banned how bout that!
If you ban the word tactical how can you explain a tactical reload in PPC? :neener: :D

elkhuntingfool
October 11, 2007, 02:45 AM
A money back guarantee. What does it guarantee? That you won't get your head stomped in by the LEO or BG?

How does one get their money back? Video of the arse whoopin for displaying the badge when confronted by said BG?

Autolycus
October 11, 2007, 03:24 AM
Scroll down and read the following story I posted in this thread...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=229047&highlight=scumbag

Thernlund
October 11, 2007, 03:26 AM
WOW ! Thought this was "The High Road" !!!!

Relax. You're going to have to get a thicker skin and take things a bit less seriously if you want to hang around here... or, umm, anywhere. :D

Really. Just chill out. Everyone's just goofing on ya. ;)

-T.

sm
October 11, 2007, 03:54 AM
sm, I highly doubt that vast majority of bad guys have any idea about 5.11, photo vest and fanny pacs, and all of that other tacticool stuff.

I respectfully disagree.

I have conducted some social experiments.
Hanging out with some homeless folks on the streets, and having lunch as a homeless person at a shelter and these folks read people, places and things.
They can make a Cop, off duty, just in how that cop carries themselves.
They note the knife clipped onto pockets and "bet he/she has a gun concealed".

Gang types show up, depends on the gang, but eyes watch the girl, because she often has the "nine" and if a guy gets to making some moves, and indicates he is going for the purse, the "nine" is coming out.

BGs
Again, part of MY education , and social experiment, includes spending time with the /around the criminal types.
Courthouse for instance and trials going on.
<expletives> About Cops, Judges, and my Brother getting busted and "friends" of those on trial, sorta warm up. First thing I did in lighting my cigarette, was split the match into...that little jail trick was picked up on.

These folks thought I had been in jail and the game they decided to play was read the folks coming and going , and even those not entering Courthouse.
-"biatch got a Leek clipped to her pocket,"
-"<expletive> (lady) got a Spyderco, check out the clip bro.."
-"He ain't a cop, what the <expletive> he doing trying to act like on, <expletive> wannabe.
-"He a cop, he walks like a cop and has a ____pen in his pocket"

Homeless, Gang types, and they were reading people, places and things.
They do have magazines, some have Internet use, Like at Libraries.

I am serious, I have BTDT on some of this stuff and some around here can verify I have.

Michigunner
October 11, 2007, 09:10 AM
Here is a link for buying the brothel inspector badge.

http://www.oldwestreplicas.com/replicas/badges2.html

CajunBass
October 11, 2007, 10:13 AM
I'll bet they'd make a Jim Dandy paperweight, but a rock would be a lot cheaper. :D

carebear
October 11, 2007, 10:06 PM
The slightly harsh tones are because the topic has been asked more than once, and simply typing "CCW badge" or "CHL badge" into the "search" function would have brought up several existing threads.

I know all these questions are new to the new guys, but most have been covered more than once. Put in a little legwork on your own before posting is all we ask.

Erik
October 11, 2007, 11:01 PM
It's the "giving the impression part" which is illegal, which is the only reason I've ever heard anyone give for having on their person.

ShooterMcGavin
October 11, 2007, 11:06 PM
I would absolutely get one of those... and I would give it to friends of mine as a gag gift. I think the badges are hysterical. I would never want to even keep one in my house, they are so ridiculous :) I can see it now... "STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!! I'm a permit holder!!"

Ah, I wish they were cheaper and I would totally buy them for my friends :p After all, it's embarassing just owning one!

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone Have or Use A CCW Badge ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!