Need some advice on some 1964 era peep sights

PDA

anthony-white
October 7, 2007, 05:47 PM
Hey guys I ave a Marlin 336 chambered in 44 mag. It has a "Z" date code for 1964. The reciever is drilled on the left side with two small holes for a peepsight. My question is if I want to put something time-period correct on it what would be the best choice? Thanks ahead of time for any help, Anthony

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some advice on some 1964 era peep sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Slugless
October 7, 2007, 06:17 PM
I imagine the up and overs would be correct since that's what the rifle is D&T for. I found Lyman to be mechanically weak.

bhk
October 7, 2007, 06:19 PM
I think Lyman and Williams are your two choices in this style sights. The Lymans used to be all steel, although they haven't changed the appearance since going to partial aluminum. I think the Lymans look the best and I have had good luck with them.

Slugless
October 7, 2007, 06:36 PM
The Lyman I'm talking about is about 3 years old. The rifle was propped up & simply fell over, on decomposed granite soil, not concrete. The sight would no longer hold zero.

Perhaps a used Lyman on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LYMAN-TANG-SIGHT-FOR-MARLIN-336_W0QQitemZ140164437595QQihZ004QQcategoryZ71141QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

anthony-white
October 7, 2007, 09:49 PM
Well I know about the williams, I have a set on my 1894 .357. This one is drilled and tapped on the left side of the reciever. The top is too, like most 336's are for the typical mount, but I want to put the sights on the left to make the gun like it was. Thanks for the info, I think im gonna go for an old set of steel lymans.

351 WINCHESTER
October 7, 2007, 10:36 PM
I have several williams and have never had a problem with them. Never tried lyman. If you hunt with them they make a twilight aperature.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some advice on some 1964 era peep sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!