M91/30 ?

PDA

slchvac
October 7, 2007, 06:36 PM
So I was at the pawn shop yesterday and picked it up, but now what do I do? It came with a synthetic stock on it and the original wood stock. Upon reading on THR and the less than great accuracy of this gun I see no reason to scope it, and if I put it back to original condition what do I do with the other stock? Can the stock be used on any other gun?
When I bought it I will admit I was less than informed on the gun, and I thought it might be a good gun to make into a varmint rifle now I'm not so sure.
What do you guys think?

If you enjoyed reading about "M91/30 ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Slugless
October 7, 2007, 06:38 PM
I did something similar, shoulda bought a Finn but it was 2 1/2x the price.

The Mosin is now a ceiling hanger, looks pretty neat hanging in mid-air (suspended by thin fishing line)

Ash
October 7, 2007, 06:40 PM
Only Mosins will fit in that sporter stock. Me, I'd just sell it to recoup some of your costs. The 7.62x54r would do great damage on coyotes, but nothing smaller. Okay, strike that, it would make anything smaller into a small, greasy-patch on the ground, especially the 204 grain bullets.

Ash

Gord
October 7, 2007, 08:16 PM
You wanted to make a 7.62x54R into a varmint rifle? :scrutiny:

At least no one can accuse you of not being thorough... :D

It may take some experimenting with different ammo - and the cheap surplus stuff has about dried up for the moment - but Mosins are capable of fine accuracy. Simo Hayha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4) knocked off plenty of potato-drinkers with his...

I can tag empty shotgun shells at 100 yards with mine all day.

If you decide that you don't want one of the stocks, you should be able to sell it without much trouble - try the Classifieds section here on THR.

For $80 or so (what they usually go for - what'd yours set you back?) they really can't be beat - a good, accurate battle rifle dripping with history and capable of hunting anything in the US (er... though perhaps not leaving a whole lot of evidence that any varmint you shoot with it ever existed...)

Cosmoline
October 7, 2007, 08:18 PM
You can use the stock on most other Soviet Mosins, but probably not on Finns.

Please post info on the arsenal and date of manufacture.

slchvac
October 7, 2007, 08:27 PM
It is a Russian 1940 from Tula I believe, and all the numbers match. I was bored so I went to see if I could find a project gun. I won't say what I paid because it was to much. I won't do that again.

Cosmoline
October 7, 2007, 08:40 PM
A '40 Tula is a good find. Is it a rearsenal? You can tell if it has a box with slash through it stamped on it and/or a laminated stock. Any [SA] stamps on it?

Mosins aren't really varmint rifles, though I suppose you could shoot varmints with them. Soviet Mosins usually run about 3MOA which isn't nearly accurate enough. And the 54R cartridge is geared for bullets 140 to 200 grains, not smaller faster bullets like a varmint rifle. Still, they're good shooters and a lot of fun.

Mortech
October 7, 2007, 08:41 PM
Well enjoy it anyway , around here they make good midrange elk rifles . I don't know how much you gotten to shoot one yet but after 50 rounds or so my day of shooting is done and I'm not a small person . P.S> Greasy spot is right , I shot a raccoon once with mine at about 75 yards , there was not enough left to clean up :what:.

brockj
October 7, 2007, 08:42 PM
You can find out a lot about the gun by going here: http://7.62x54r.com/ He has tons of info on those guns...I think they are very fun!

Clipper
October 7, 2007, 08:49 PM
Leave the glass stock on it. It makes it much more pleasant to shoot.

Gord
October 7, 2007, 08:50 PM
I won't say what I paid because it was to much.

The synthetic stock runs around $60 + shipping, so don't forget to factor that in - and if the gun is all matching and in great condition it's in the $120 range.

slchvac
October 7, 2007, 08:51 PM
Where would I find the sa stamped on it?

Cosmoline
October 7, 2007, 08:53 PM
Check the receiver and barrel shank area.

Good sources for info are Ted's site:

www.7.62x54R.net

And

http://www.mosinnagant.net/

slchvac
October 7, 2007, 09:03 PM
I don't see any stamps on it. This might be a dumb question but how can I tell what kind of shape the inside of the barrel is in?

Cosmoline
October 7, 2007, 09:04 PM
Clean it out as usual and pull the bolt off. Then just hold it up to the light and take a look. Flip it around and look the other way as well, noting the condition of the crown in particular.

slchvac
October 7, 2007, 09:07 PM
Thank you for all the info. I'm sure I will have a good time with this.

Gord
October 7, 2007, 10:14 PM
They're a blast - if for nothing else than the blast, seriously. Surplus ammo puts out a great fireball, especially from the shorter M38 and M44 carbine versions - try shooting in the early evening as it's starting to get dark.

For the money (even if you pay 2x the going price) you can't beat 'em.

GarandOwner
October 8, 2007, 02:29 AM
the less than great accuracy of this gun

They must have deleted some of the old posts, I had a range report from my 91/30.... Heres one of the targets:

10 Shots from 100 yards, one stray due to blinking (bad shot on my part) - 2 outside the group were sighters

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v67/217/43/39702605/n39702605_30762381_8537.jpg

I'd say this speaks for itself. Key is ammo, This was done with quality ammo, not mil-surplus

If you enjoyed reading about "M91/30 ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!