The Woods

PDA

dispatch
October 7, 2007, 08:28 PM
My wife and I are going to spend a few days in a secluded area in the Texas Hill Country shortly. Iím looking for recommendations on what guns to take with me. Iíll have my Ruger P95 (standard trip gun) and a GP100 for the cottage. She will have her Taurus 85.
Cosidering adding a rifle and a shotgun to the mix. Think that might be over doing it?

If you enjoyed reading about "The Woods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
22-rimfire
October 7, 2007, 09:34 PM
If you are hunting, you aren't over doing it. If you are just spending time as a guest, I think the handguns are about right.

Neophyte1
October 8, 2007, 06:38 AM
Remington 870 to your collection. It will take a rabbit for food; a bad guide will not enjoy the 'racking' racket, birds on the fly, have fun:)

slow944
October 8, 2007, 11:33 AM
If you'll be hunting "Dove" you can bring a shot gun, but if your just hiking I'd bring the GP100, since it is "Bow Season" I wouldn't carry the Shotty.

mainebear
October 8, 2007, 08:56 PM
What you and your spouse are planning to take are just about the same thing that my wife and I take with us. Has served us well. Especially if your a guest these are unobtrusive,(for the most part) and will cover about any contingency that you will encounter, other than hunting. Sounds good to us! have a great trip.

AtticusThraxx
October 8, 2007, 09:32 PM
Jeez dispatch, what do you guys have running around in the woods ya need all the hardware?

BigBlock
October 8, 2007, 10:01 PM
Geez, that sounds like way overkill. Unless maybe the area is infested with terrorists and gangbangers? I've spent a lot of time out in the woods full of bears and mountain lions with no guns at all, and in places far too remote to have a "cottage".

sixgunner455
October 8, 2007, 11:13 PM
Oh, good grief!! With that kind of an attitude, he may as well never carry a gun.

Sounds a good mix. I like a shotgun or a rifle with me, too. If I'm in someone else's home, I'll take one that breaks down into my luggage, and carry my concealed weapon w/o asking anybody else's opinion on the matter.

The whole reason for carrying all the time is that you never know when you'll need it, so you just always have it.

Geronimo45
October 8, 2007, 11:15 PM
What exactly is Texas Hill Country? Northeast area (which is more of a tree-and-'skeeter country) or the mountains (such as they are) of West Texas?

Have some snakeshot for the revolver if you're in the NE.

Probably no need for long guns in the NE. Might be in the West.

ReadyontheRight
October 9, 2007, 01:12 AM
It's hard to imagine a time or a place where a shotgun close by is not a good thing.

ArchAngelCD
October 9, 2007, 03:04 AM
Since I'm a revolver guy I would say you should carry the GP100 loaded with 180 gr JSP rounds. Have you wife carry her Taurus 85 and I would add a shotgun to the mix. I think the pistol and an additional rifle is a little too much. You might even want to load snake shot in your wife's revolver.

DMZ
October 9, 2007, 09:48 AM
Jeez dispatch, what do you guys have running around in the woods ya need all the hardware?

I was out camping late in the year in the Cascades of WA. The camp was still asleep when I decided to take a morning stroll with just a flannel shirt and down vest for warmth (sun was coming out). I walked a few miles along a game trail and the weather turned as light snow begin to fall. That quickly became heavy snow fall and I was starting to get wet as I turned back. Alas, the trail was quickly obscured and I was getting a bit disoriented as visibility dropped to < 100'. I was not sure where camp was at that time and a wave of panic swept over me.

Fortunately I had a strapped on my Ruger Blackhawk with 25 full ammo loops on the belt before I left camp. I fired all but three rounds until I heard my brother fire his rifle. I got a bearing on the sound and got into camp 30 minutes later, shivering wet.

mavracer
October 9, 2007, 09:58 AM
a trapper length lever in .357 is very handy JMHO I'm always torn between it and a shotty when trapsing through the woods.

TX1911fan
October 9, 2007, 11:44 AM
A lever gun would be my choice for rifle. One in .357 so it shares ammo with your GP100 would be perfect.

dispatch
October 9, 2007, 09:33 PM
C'mon Geronimo45- Texas Hill Country is around Austin, mostly Northwest but all compass points nearby. We will be in the Wimberly- Dripping Springs area. Farm roads, no city lights and lots of stars. There are critters that live there. Now my kin from West Virginia think it's funny that we call these hills but around here they are. I thought it would be interesting to get opinons on this. My main concern always is the human critters one may encounter traveling and when in an isolated place; therefore at least a rifle and a handgun required. We'll be driving, so why not through the shotgun in also?
I will get some .38 shotshells by the way-late season snakes?

dispatch
October 9, 2007, 09:39 PM
By the way- thanks guys for your responses. I'm going to pack all of the above. Maybe a .22 also. Why not?

Geronimo45
October 9, 2007, 09:59 PM
I will get some .38 shotshells by the way-late season snakes?
I believe so. Saw one slithering across the carport last Friday night, so they're still active.

A rifle's probably a good choice for that neck of the woods. I'm from the NE part of the state, so I don't know too much about Austin geography. Hope you have a great trip.

dispatch
October 9, 2007, 10:11 PM
Geronimo45- go there!! Frederickburg, Boerne, Bandera, Wimberely- you will love it.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Woods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!