Interleaving Rounds

PDA

DawgFvr
October 8, 2007, 02:30 PM
Can anyone declare reasons, pro or con, for the practice of interleaving different types of rounds in the five, six or seven round revolver cylinder? I remember one person who told me he fired .38 specials from his carry gun…he always arranged a .357 mag round to be his last round to signal “reload”. Now me, I am presently considering whether or not it is advisable to carry a staggered Corbon DPX/FBI load in my 642 as a defensive load. Reasoning: I want the expansion of the all copper DPX bullet, however, I am not totally confident that the short barreled snub can project the speed needed for that expansion. The FBI load (I’d use Buffalo Bore’s version) added just might make for a good combo load. Comments? Now...same thing but with bottom feeders: HP/FMJ interleaving. Pro/Con:

If you enjoyed reading about "Interleaving Rounds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kimber1911_06238
October 8, 2007, 02:31 PM
I personally don't see that as having much practical use...If you are shooting fast, the click will tell you it's time to reload about a half second later.

dust_101
October 8, 2007, 03:08 PM
Also keep in mind that in a SD shooting, if the opposing party survives and takes you to court they will bring up the fact that you intended to harm the said 'bad guy' by loading evil bad hollow and pointy rounds along with the other rounds.

I looked into it when setting up a HD shotgun, mixing slug, 00 buck, slug, 00 buck, etc just in case... to a jury it may look bad afterwards.

In this litigious society, you have to prepare for the worst, even after the worst has happened.

rcmodel
October 8, 2007, 03:23 PM
I think it's a really bad idea.

Different power levels, recoil, flash, etc. between rounds can slow you down and mess up your timing in fast DA shooting.

If you are not confident that DPX will do the job, but think the FBI load will, I would carry the FBI load.

Simple as that.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

mavracer
October 8, 2007, 03:52 PM
just carry the FBI load it expands/penatrates very well.

Walkalong
October 8, 2007, 03:55 PM
I think it's a really bad idea.

Me too.

orionengnr
October 8, 2007, 05:58 PM
I've always taken it as an indication that one cannot make up his mind...

RyanM
October 8, 2007, 06:07 PM
Interleaving? Vocabulary word of the day!

Anyway, alternating rounds would be a pretty bad idea. Having the last round signal a reload is interesting, though. I've read that some branches of the military say to load 3 tracers at the bottom of each M-16 magazine, so you know when to reload.

But, about the only mixing I'd do would be to carry with .357s in the gun, and have .38 SPLs as a reload, as the shorter cases are easier to stuff in the cylinder. It'd also be possible to load them up close to full .357 magnum power, with slightly reduced powder charges, as long as you have a chronograph. I expect they'd really stick, however, so it'd only be a good idea if you only carry a single reload. And don't reuse the brass from when you worked up the load.

apollosmith
October 8, 2007, 06:39 PM
I've read that some branches of the military say to load 3 tracers at the bottom of each M-16 magazine, so you know when to reload.

And also let the bad guys know when you're busy reloading?

lathedog
October 12, 2007, 04:13 PM
folks in rural areas sometimes do this as it is kinda fast to roll a cylinder around compared to dumping a cylinder & re-loading, especially if they don't want to carry extra ammo. I'm talking about guys that are out working and need to be armed in case of several possible scenarios, but don't expect to need more than a couple shots.

I have heard a lot about putting snakehot in the first two cylinders, for a fast response to a rattler, with 4 other solid rounds (your pick) in case they see a coyote, or need to put an animal down, zombies appear, etc. The theory being that they would have more time to index the cylinder for those situations.

I'm not trying to make this applicable to a different scenario, but it's worth having in your mind's "back pocket"

Majic
October 12, 2007, 05:04 PM
Also keep in mind that in a SD shooting, if the opposing party survives and takes you to court they will bring up the fact that you intended to harm the said 'bad guy' by loading evil bad hollow and pointy rounds along with the other rounds.
After 5 rounds have been fired at the "said bad guy" I think it's a clear fact that you intended to do him harm.

If you enjoyed reading about "Interleaving Rounds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!