So, do ya shoot the new John Wayne Ruger?

PDA

ShunZu
October 9, 2007, 09:00 AM
I have a few "safe queens" that don't get shot, but most of my pieces get used on ranges and in the hunting field. But I just got one of the first 1,000 John Wayne Commemorative .45 long colts and am wrestling with the question of whether to shoot it or not. I have other pistols... including a nickel finish Vaquero in .45LC -- but there's this little evil dude sitting on my shoulder whispering in my ear that I *MUST* shoot the new JW.

What would YOU do?:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "So, do ya shoot the new John Wayne Ruger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
40SW
October 9, 2007, 09:07 AM
I don't have any safequeens in my collection. Everything has a utilitarian purpose and gets shot, but I understand the point of collectibles. If I had a rare Kriegsmarine Nazi Luger or something similar, I would not shoot it and it would be more of a display and conversation piece. A "showoff" piece as it were. So since you obviously paid a premium for it and the finish is unique, etc,etc. I would not shoot it to preserve the finish and the value.

JoeHatley
October 9, 2007, 11:19 AM
That's one of guns on my "short list" to look for at this weekend's local gun show. If I find one, you can bet it will be shot.

For you... it kinda depends on why you bought it. If it's an "investment", you probably will never realize much profit in your lifetime. Your kids might. Maybe...

Joe

Hawk
October 9, 2007, 11:35 AM
Couple hundred rounds through mine thus far.

The Duke, I'm sure, would not have it any other way. One can almost imagine the withering comment he'd have regarding anything carrying his name being called a "queen", "safe" or not.

DC3-CVN-72
October 9, 2007, 08:43 PM
Hawk, that's for shure ! ! Shoot the rifeling smooth ! !

W.E.G.
October 9, 2007, 09:00 PM
My Luger is the only gun I don't shoot. And that's just because it has too many mis-fires to make it any fun to shoot. I'd like to solve that issue someday. So many projects - so little time.

I have no time for guns I cannot fully enjoy. A equal amount of money invested in silver or gold will appreciate at least as well as any "commemorative" firearm. Moreover, you won't have trouble finding a buyer when you need to sell the precious metals.

There is very little reliable money to be made in firearms speculation. If you want to make any worthwhile money in the guns business, its all in the volume of sales, particularly if you can execute volume sales of high-end stuff.

tbtrout
October 9, 2007, 09:59 PM
If I own it I shoot it. I only shoot my Luger twice a year on average, but it is fun to get out and shoot. I can not see a gun sitting if it works perfectly well.

yongxingfreesty
October 9, 2007, 10:05 PM
even my safe queens get used, just not as much.

jdomin
October 10, 2007, 07:22 AM
why not just shoot a regular vaquro and keep the JW mint

Hawk
October 10, 2007, 07:44 AM
why not just shoot a regular vaquro and keep the JW mint

1. I don't have a regular vaq.
2. They're making plenty. I don't shoot my mutual fund certificates and try not to use my firearms as investments. They generally suck in that capacity anyway.
3. It would cheese off the duke.
4. It looks better than the fake case color on the regular new vaq - cheaper to buy the one you like and shoot it.
5. After you shoot it, the resale isn't any worse than a regular vaq.
6. My dealer wasn't trying to charge ransom rates for it.
7. If you didn't shoot it, how in the name of all that is holy would you know it worked? Would not knowing for certain that it worked eventually grind on you? Would me.

And, something you'll never know until you do shoot it: It shoots pretty nice.

Lastly, I have a long list of stuff that looks stupid to me. Near the top is chastity belts (wire ties) on firearms. My dealer had applied one (I assume Ruger didn't) and it needed rescued. Wire ties belong behind computers, taming the fearsome cable beast.

ShunZu
October 10, 2007, 11:04 AM
Appreciate your input. I'll probably shoot it... since I'm 53 years old and won't live long enough to see it appreciate significantly in value. My son can cuss me after I'm pushing up daisies.:neener:

However, I would politely disagree with those saying firearms aren't good as investments... depending upon what you purchased. If you bought gold 20 years ago, you're way down -- I bought several M1 Garands and 03's... and have seen the Garands appreciate more than 400% in the last 15 years. One of my '03's is serial #47XX and I've had more than 25 opportunities to sell it at a very decent profit, thank you very much. :) It's one of the few safe queens that never gets shot. (yes, I'm aware of the soft receiver issue in the first 5,000 03's -- this one was hardened because it was well used and rebarreled in '42.) But when you have a nice Garand, why shoot the '03 anyway?

TexasRifleman
October 10, 2007, 11:19 AM
I'd shoot it. My dad gave me a 1966 Winchester Centennial rifle, unfired in the box. I looked up the values and it was worth a whopping 50 bucks more unfired.

Let's just say that it's worth 50 bucks less now :)

By the way, what are these Rugers going for in real money. I've seen a couple advertised but at stupid prices.

Onmilo
October 10, 2007, 11:25 AM
I may be missing something here but I don't remember a single movie that featured John Wayne packing a Ruger Blackhawk and he was dead long before the Vaquero revolvers were offered to the public.
Blaze away say I.

TexasRifleman
October 10, 2007, 11:28 AM
Blaze away say I.

I have noticed in the last 6-8 months a huge increase in John Wayne marked EVERYTHING. I assume some lawsuit was settled or the estate decided it needed more money.

Coasters, coffee mugs, christmas tree ornaments.....

Having a real connection to the Duke doesn't seem to matter.

Hawk
October 10, 2007, 12:11 PM
By the way, what are these Rugers going for in real money. I've seen a couple advertised but at stupid prices.
Middle nines locally.

I've seen some advertised for MSRP which I believe is around 1200. Haven't seen any with "bootleg" numbers but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.

It's what would have been the Duke's 100th birthday - commemoratives galore. The estate has been busy. The Texas lotto has put out a "Duke" scratch-off ticket fercryinoutloud.

Heck, even USFA is in on the act:
http://www.usfirearms.com/im/jwayne.jpg

http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/john_wayne.asp

I'm sure I'm missing others.

Checkman
October 10, 2007, 05:58 PM
Shoot it. Ten years ago I purchased a Winchester Model 1895 Hi-Grade (Silver, engraved, beautiful wood) in 30-06. They made 5,000 only. I finally decided that it wouldn't be any fun if I didn't shoot it. So about every other year I put five rounds through it. Factory ammo only. In my case Federal 150 grain soft points.

What's the point of owning it if I don't use it?

Ala Dan
October 10, 2007, 06:48 PM
Probably would be wise move, to not shoot it; but rather retire it to
SAFEQUEEN status~! ;):D

Hawk
October 10, 2007, 10:56 PM
Probably would be wise move, to not shoot it; but rather retire it to
SAFEQUEEN status~!

Dan, I'm crushed. You do this for a living - you're kidding, right?

I mean, the Ruger JW is machine cut engraving fer cryin out loud.

BTW, congrats on a nice even 9000 posts, as of the time this is written.
:D

Sometimes I'm sarcasm challenged so I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt.

If you enjoyed reading about "So, do ya shoot the new John Wayne Ruger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!