Besides Paper Targets what do you shoot?

PDA

BlindJustice
October 9, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'm asking about inanimate objects shooters blast away at
for fun, or given the coin,Ballistic Gel. I've been thinking
<yeah yeah. collective goroan from the THR masses>
about shooting Pumpkins since they're In Season this month.

since there's some organic material upon entry then the transit
through the seedy middle and the meaty part would be again
penetrated for the exit I wonder what JHPs will do in
terms of expansionn.

I'll put this on the schedule for the last weekend of the month
since I'll be out of town for 10 days prior

Hmmm, being Financially Responsible ( better than saying Cheap
Bastard right? ) maybe one condemned to the firing squad Pumpkins
oughta be filled with orange Jello... yeah that's the ticket see the
victim spill it's life blood in the throes of Death!!!

what?

If you enjoyed reading about "Besides Paper Targets what do you shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bthest86
October 9, 2007, 01:24 PM
Old computers, TV sets, an old microwave once.

I remember one time we found cases of really old unopened coke cans in an abandoned shack. Popping those were pretty fun.

KMBRTAC45
October 9, 2007, 01:25 PM
Fruits and cans of cheap soda are great reactive targets(and they are bio-degradable). I like Tannerite:what:(BIG BOOM) for rifles. And the usual steel targets, empty bottles and cans(Yes we clean up our mess), clay pigeons ect.....

possum
October 9, 2007, 01:29 PM
paper plates they are cheap and readily avaliable every where.
homemade metal swinger targets.
real estate signs

Dirtypacman
October 9, 2007, 01:35 PM
Clays
Bowling Pins
Playing Cards

security6
October 9, 2007, 01:35 PM
I always have a good time shooting golf balls. Used shotgun shells (are these called hulls?) standing upright work good too.

jamz
October 9, 2007, 01:36 PM
My favorites are cans of shaving cream- quite a satisfying bang and mess.

Pumpkins are best if you fill them with water.

Other than that, I like eggs, clays, apples, etc.

yesit'sloaded
October 9, 2007, 01:37 PM
paper plates
cans(sometimes I spring for a case of new ones, the new mountain Dew turns to orange foam when the can is hit)
I do bullet tests on a cardboard box filled with wet newspaper packed tightly
bowling pins
shotgun shell casings (yellow 20 gauge are hi viz and are fun to shoot at 50 yards with a .22 pistol)

Linda
October 9, 2007, 01:43 PM
Blindjustice, we are SO on the same wave length!!:eek: My desire is to drill a hole in a pumpkin, fill it with water and then replug it. And then blast it with a .44 magnum!!!!:D I've lined up the .44, just haven't gotten the pumpkins yet.

Next year, I'm growing my own targets......,pumpkins, zuchinis, goards, watermelons. Oh my....,I get giddy just thinking about it!

Muzzy_B
October 9, 2007, 01:43 PM
cinder blocks
rotten watermelons
clays
bottle caps
water balloons
helium balloons
yellow jackets with the .410
tweety birds off my grape vines
sunflowers

I'm pretty easy to please

Polishrifleman
October 9, 2007, 01:48 PM
Add Potatoes to the mix, really cheap for a 10# bag, spray paint them orange so you can see them.

SaMx
October 9, 2007, 01:48 PM
can's of soda and shaving cream cans are both great. Get to know someone who works at a grocery store and you might be able to rescue some cases of expired soda from the dumpster :D

JohnMcD348
October 9, 2007, 01:57 PM
I'm a Paper plate shooter myself. The range I use doesn't allow (organic) or reactive targets on their range. I sometimes use the preprinted "bad guy" targets, but for the most part I use 4" paper plates. I figure, if I can put the rounds inside a 4" group consistently, then I feel pretty confident that anywhere I aim for on a potential threat, I can get enough rounds into the vital area to make a difference.

When I was in the Navy, we used to covertly obtain the paper disposable trays from the galley on base and take them to the range. THey had 4 different spots in them and we would call it the Carrot, Potatoes, Meat, and dessert drill. While walking down range, our Gunny would call out what zone we were to shoot. Worked really well for practice of point shooting and eye hand coordination.

CountGlockula
October 9, 2007, 01:59 PM
At the indoor range I always bring extra cardboard paper and write "X" marks on them. Also I shoot out the leftover Winchester White ammo box.

Nautilus
October 9, 2007, 02:03 PM
I'm & Plumbing & HVAC contractor... so anything I take home from jobs... Lots of double wall steel pressure tanks, water heaters...etc.

shotout
October 9, 2007, 02:43 PM
Chucks of ice when in season

REPOMAN
October 9, 2007, 02:52 PM
Try hollowpoints and any kind of melons that are on sale @ Wallyworld...
Been there, done that, and bought that t-shirt :neener:

Headless
October 9, 2007, 02:52 PM
Tennis balls.

glockman19
October 9, 2007, 02:55 PM
Fruit, Golf Balls, Tennis Balls, Balloons.

romma
October 9, 2007, 02:57 PM
Personally, I am a canoe man! I have an old canoe in the yard that was there before me. Sometimes I will set a paper target on it with tape, other times I will shoot it, eyeing a particular spot that looks lonely and needs a hole put in it (although it's running out of real estate).

My canoe will not float these days I am sure. But if one were strong enough to lift it and shake it around, it might make a decent spaghetti strainer I suppose...

That's the pistol area, up top I shoot paper and cans at the rifle arena. Pumkins after Haloween! :)

DavidLee
October 9, 2007, 02:57 PM
Umm... whiskey, heroin, cocaine, crack, meth, #2 pencil lead... OH OH WHAT -TARGETS- do I shoot? Ah, nevermind that...

About the usual... logs... snakes.. TV's... clumps of grass?.. an old power wheels 4x4 once.. an old barbie doll play house (Really what can be more deserving than that?) Put simply if something is around that I can shoot at, legally.. it's probably gonna get shot at ;)

sm
October 9, 2007, 03:07 PM
Clay targets zipping along at 55 mph ...:p

Banana Moon Pies from a clay thrower is great!
NOT for shooting, instead for watching the dang dawgs get all excited and going after that "edible frisbee" .

DO NOT USE Chocolate! Dogs are Allergic To Chocolate.

Ping Pong balls with BB Guns with NO sights to teach Shotgunning

Golf Balls, Paper Plates (9" and 6"), Playing Cards, Match Books/Boxes, Drink Coasters, Tin Cans, Ritz Crackers, Necco Wafers, Animal Crackers, Jelly Beans, Grapes, ..
and they 'said' there was seeds from Apples, Peaches, and Grapes downrange ...I did not see them, still I take their word on it.:p

Chrome
October 9, 2007, 03:09 PM
Golf balls and plastic army men. Both are great for accuracy and racing.

Later,
Chrome...

Knotthead
October 9, 2007, 03:09 PM
Buckeyes. The ones growing on trees, not Ohio natives. Be sure of your background though.

BamBam-31
October 9, 2007, 03:11 PM
Tannerite. :evil:

Not cheap, though....

mainebear
October 9, 2007, 03:22 PM
Stuffed Animals! We get them by the bag from the salvation army thrift store. You can get the old ones that are usually too dirty to sell to kids. A great big bag for $3.00. Loads of fun.

My wife was shooting her 10/22 at this dog with huge ears. she'd hit him on one side of the head, and his ear on the other side would flap straight out. I know it's corny but try it, beats targets for reactive shooting. Kids just learning will laugh themselves silly.

Be careful who you tell though, drives the soccer mom types insane. Happy Shooting :evil:

JamisJockey
October 9, 2007, 04:20 PM
Fruit.
Ceramic figurines from a thrift store.
Golf balls.
Bowling pins.
Full soda cans (buy the cheap stuff in bulk), shake well, run back to the firing line, grab a .22 and let 'er rip.....
Crackers (no, not white boys....I mean like Ritz)
Clay pigeons make great stand up targets
Balloons, especially if you can fill 'em with helium.

bogie
October 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
This coming weekend?

Cars. Boats. Trucks. Buses. Appliances. Explosives.

Heh, heh, heh...

Gord
October 9, 2007, 04:56 PM
One thing I enjoy doing with my .22s is setting up empty shotgun shells for knocking down at 100 yards. They're free, they're all over the place at the range and they're brightly colored - can't beat 'em.

When I'm feeling particularly Zaitsevish, I go for the stems on the yellow road daisies that grow all over the place up here. I'm getting pretty good at cutting them down with one shot, but I haven't been able to make a ten-flower bouquet for Mom on a single ten-round mag yet. Oh well, practice makes perfect. :)

Cheap Shasta/Sam's Club soda cans are usually around two bucks a 12-pack or less, and are great fun to shoot with anything from a BB gun on up to a 12-gauge (whereupon they will basically explode in such a way that there will be little evidence they were ever there). After you're done, take the aluminum in for recycling and get a bit of money back - win/win :p

Shoot-n-C stick'ems are about fifty cents a sheet for one large ~6" target and four small ~2" targets - good for helping confirm hits on small things that don't jump around, like tin cans weighted down with some sand.

I don't bring my junk to dump anywhere but the actual dump, but if it's already there and in decent shape I'll shoot it and leave it for the next guy. As Utah is by and large not irreversibly fawked up like most of southern California is, I've taken up the habit of carting out more than I bring in.

Any jackrabbit or chipmunk dumb enough to walk into my field of fire while I'm in the process of unloading is fair game, as far as I'm concerned - only had one jack back in SoCal do it, and he was promptly dispatched (a better word might be "disintegrated") by three redneck guys and a woman, all with Mosins. You can tell we're family. :D

I figured I was doing the rest of rabbitkind a favor. :neener:

Detritus
October 10, 2007, 04:17 AM
well on ranges that allow it i've fired upon the following at various times.

Ballons, which will a little bit of ingenuity can be used for all kinds of reative target setups, including build some drills that have legit real world uses.

charcoal Briquettes, chunks of kingsford make really great targets to get new shooters going on. that POOF! is rather satisfying to a newbie in a way that a series of neat little holes isn't likely to manage. and you don't even have to clean it up, the bits will in biodegrade (what parts aren't blown to dust)

of course cans, sometimes if i find a case or two cheap enough, with the soda still in it and shook up good. :evil:

golf balls, golf tees, cheap ripoffs of "barney" stuffed dinos....

if it's cheap/free and does not pose a hazard of fire, or other harm/contamination to the range or those using it, and wasn't a total PITA to clean up, I or one of my shooting buddies back in NC, likely tried it.

MSgt B
October 10, 2007, 04:34 AM
For competition, rig up a couple 1 X 4's suspended crosswise. Draw a black line down the middle of each for reference. Who can chop their board in half first?

For the kiddies, get a 1 foot square piece of scrap drywall and suspend it by the top corners. You can tape whatever target you want over it. Each hit makes a nice little puff of white smoke.

BigBlock
October 10, 2007, 04:47 AM
I like to shoot CDs. They're bright and shiny and explode nicely if you hit 'em right. I've got TONS of old AOL CDs and other stuff I've burned that I don't need anymore...

Mikhail Konovalov
October 10, 2007, 05:07 AM
Bottles, cans, snakes... Pizza boxes... Squirrels... Keyboards... You know what, I'll shoot just about anything that moves. And if it doesn't move, I'll shoot it and make it move.

American_Pit_Bull
October 10, 2007, 08:17 AM
Steel head plates on stands that I made.

learn2shoot
October 10, 2007, 08:50 AM
I like the little exploding targets, old hub caps, clay targets, steel plates, printer ribbons, old toilets, those "Believe" bumper stickers (with wad cutters), bowling pins, rusted out cars, glass, crows, rats, and rats with the little exploding targets taped to their backs (haven't gotten to this one yet).

Heard the idea of Necco Wafers from another guy on this board.

Neo-Luddite
October 10, 2007, 09:01 AM
large marshmellows are a good challenge, will float (for a bit), and bio-degrade quickly.

As said punkins--but filled with expired jello mix and water--allow to set overnight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Besides Paper Targets what do you shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!