Why do they DO that?!

PDA

blades67
July 11, 2003, 11:28 PM
I had a few errands to run yesterday and as I usually do I went out armed. I carried my Kimber Custom II in an Uncle Mike's Injection Molded belt slide, open carry because I can. I stopped into QT and grabbed a 'dog and a soda, shot the breeze (if you can call 114 degree wind a breeze) with a guy and his son in their '67 Camaro while I choked down the food. Stop in at the Water & Ice store to refill a couple five-gallon bottles and then head over to Blockbuster to return Tears of the Sun and Die Another Day and pick up a couple of others, so far no problems.

I get into Blockbuster and start perusing the titles when this hispanic guy starts telling the woman with him that I have a gun. Still not a big deal, maybe he's just unacustomed to open carry. Then he asks me from half way down the aisle, "Why you carry a gun?" "Because I have the right to. Besides, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." I said and continued about my business. Not to be ignored, he asks loudly if it's a .22 Mag, so, of course, I said "Yup, something like that." At this point I left that aisle and moved to the other side of the store. He follows me, selling wolf tickets wholesale. I continued to ignore him, at this point not even acknowledging him which seems to both inflame and enbolden him. I selected my DVDs and went to the counter to check them out. The store manager offers to remove the man from the store, but I asked that he delay him at the counter while I leave. The manager went to talk to him and I headed to my car.

The whole time I was wondering what in the world his goal was. He seemed intimidated and trying to prove his manhood by picking a fight with a guy carrying a gun.:confused: :scrutiny: Not the brightest bulb in the 40 watt pack.

Has any one else had an encounter like this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do they DO that?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boing
July 11, 2003, 11:40 PM
I'm not being flippant when I say: some people are just stupid.

cool45auto
July 11, 2003, 11:48 PM
I have no idea.:confused: Hasn't happened to me, and hopefully won't.

Drjones
July 11, 2003, 11:57 PM
Man, I've read all sorts of stories of sheep hastily making space between their wool and the hide of someone carrying a gun, but I've never heard of a, uh, sheep(?) antagonizing someone who is openly carrying!

Somethin' sure ain't right with that guy... :scrutiny:

Who knows...maybe he just wanted to compare the size of his gun to yours! :neener:

M2 Carbine
July 11, 2003, 11:57 PM
Blades, that's one of the reasons I don't like open carry, it brings out the idiots.

Another is, say that guy was dead set on robbing that place you would have been the first one to be shot and he would have a nice Kimber.

You would not know he has a gun and he knows you do. Who has the advantage?

Of course in Texas we can't carry open anyhow.:)

Drjones
July 11, 2003, 11:59 PM
M2 nailed it.

I'd like to open carry on occasion, but wouldn't make a habit of it.

rick newland
July 12, 2003, 07:46 AM
A person should not know you are armed until the first bullit enters their chest.

Greg L
July 12, 2003, 08:13 AM
I am usually a big advocate for concealed carry but Blades hopefully was spreading some very good PR about gun owners. One of the reasons for open carry is to make the rest of the public that is out and about at the same time realize that people who carry a gun are just as normal as them. They are just trying to get their errands done and get back home to relax. In this case everyone else in the store could see that his solution to the problem of the mosquito buzzing around him wasn't to pull his pistol out and blow him away. He basically ignored him and went on his way. Hopefully the next time that a lunatic who shot up a workplace is grabbing all the headlines the people who were in the store will remember this event and realize that what is on the news is the exception rather than the rule about gun owners.

Greg

bpisler
July 12, 2003, 10:37 AM
I open carry here in phoenix,never had a problem like that.As for being the first one shot doing a hold up,i try to be more alert than that and see trouble before it see's me,besides who can tell if sweeping your concelment aside won't alert the badguys to your intentions? Nobody here knows what will happen during a armed encounter,all you can do is pick your equipment,train and do your best if the need to defend yourself if you need to.

Standing Wolf
July 12, 2003, 07:55 PM
More people need to see law-abiding American citizens openly keeping and bearing arms in a safe, responsible manner.

HBK
July 12, 2003, 08:25 PM
You should have shot him. Just kidding. Like someone else said, some people are just stupid.

telomerase
July 12, 2003, 08:26 PM
>More people need to see law-abiding American citizens openly keeping and bearing arms in a safe, responsible manner.

People over 40 from most of the US can "see" safe gun ownership by using their memories. When I was growing up in 1960s rural Ohio, farmers carried openly whenever they felt like it. Unfortunately, Orwell was right, and most people's "memories" consist mostly of last year's TV.

And I agree with Standing Wolf, open carry is a good thing (assuming good judgement, lack of ethanol, etc.)

Ian Sean
July 12, 2003, 08:27 PM
My opinion, I think you handled yourself and the situation well, and bravo to the store manager as well for recognizing something weird going on. He would have my business.

El Tejon
July 12, 2003, 08:39 PM
:what:

That boy just ain't right. What would possess a person to do that?

Must be the heat or something, right?:confused:

mattd
July 12, 2003, 09:02 PM
I would of been more nice to the guy when he asked what kind of gun it was.

blades67
July 12, 2003, 09:17 PM
My guess is that he is extremely insecure, with a low impulse control, and unable, or unwilling, to think through the consequences of his actions. I made a point of keeping him at greater than arms length, always to starboard (because I draw from the port side) and never fully turning my back to him so I could always see his hands when in the same aisle. I was so busy watching him out of the corner of my eye that I picked up two DVDs without a single gunfight.:what: I did score major points with the Boss Lady for that though.;)

mattd
July 12, 2003, 11:10 PM
Im guessing he felt insulted by you semi ignoring him and he was to much of a ??? to forget about it.

Jim March
July 13, 2003, 04:06 AM
You know, I *have* experienced something sorta like this.

Before 1/1/98, big folding knives in California had to be carried openly. (I remember the date well, because I had to threaten to draw on some lunatics in December of '97 and I remember thinking I was glad the law was changing. Yes, that was the four transvestites with hammers :rolleyes:.)

Anyways, back then I used to carry 5" to 6" class megafolders openly. And especially when I lived in San Francisco, the..."street thug types" would sometimes object to cutlery displayed openly. Sometimes very loudly.

Didn't happen often, and the results were no big deal, but yes there definately is a criminal element that EXPECTS to be protected by weapons laws, and hates seeing evidence that it's not working.

Barstards.

Ian Sean
July 13, 2003, 05:34 AM
Yes, that was the four transvestites with hammers .)

Jim, I am kind of new here, if it is not a bad subject to bring up could you elaborate for us newbies?

gunsmith
July 13, 2003, 05:49 AM
I carry to & from work as an Armed courier/security guard.
One idiot was real upset and could not believe that a citizen can get a job with a gun and NOT be a cop.
I ran into an ex roomie who moved out of the house I moved into
because she "hates" guns. She and her friends were amazed that I had a loaded gun on the bus,having grown tired of the stupid questions I just tell
people you have the right to carry loaded guns if your a life member of the NRA:evil:

The worst case was a bunch of teen "gangsta wannabees" they were real angry that they could not intimidate or anger me.
I think more people should carry open.
if we do not exercise our rights etc

SapperLeader
July 13, 2003, 08:36 AM
I actually had a similiar situation yesterday while on duty. What made mine worse was that I was in uniform and armed. I was standing overwatch duty on the search lane at Fort Myer, and this guy starts becoming belligerant and asking me if I felt like a tough guy or a badass with that gun. He then started saying that he could come over and take the rifle from me if he wanted too. He continued to make comments like that through the whole search until we removed from post. Personally, if I was on a military instalation, Im not going to get into a chest pounding match with the armed soldier, but maybe thats just me :)

Ryder
July 13, 2003, 08:56 AM
What would possess a person to do that?

The heat can agitate a person but in my experience only alcohol makes them that kind of stupid brave where they'd confront a stranger in such a way.

That's my guess. We all know guns and alcohol don't mix. It doesn't have to be one person doing both. Be careful out there.

M2 Carbine
July 13, 2003, 09:11 AM
SapperLeader quote
"He then started saying that he could come over and take the rifle from me if he wanted too."

SaperLeader, you should have told him,
"Please come and take it, I've always wanted to see what a butt stroke would do to someone's jaw". :evil:

Kentucky Rifle
July 13, 2003, 11:10 AM
I read about the first three replies and then stopped. Guys like you described (incredibly) are everywere. If you had put your hand on the butt of your Kimber, he'd have peed his pants.
(I can say "peed", can't I?) :)

KR

Zundfolge
July 13, 2003, 01:53 PM
Ian, Go read this thread over on TFL

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25140
(scroll down to the bottom of the first page)

Mute
July 14, 2003, 12:17 PM
"Why do you carry a gun?"

Because I like the way it matches my knife and wristwatch.

bogie
July 14, 2003, 12:32 PM
I'm 6'2" and weigh about 280ish...

It is consistently amazing about how the smallest guy in a bar will decide to pick his fight of the night with me.

So I don't oblige 'em.

Sheslinger
July 14, 2003, 01:27 PM
My reply would be - "Why not?" Let him labor over reasons.

Sheslinger

2nd Amendment
July 14, 2003, 01:31 PM
First time I ever heard of something like this was in something Ayoob wrote maybe 20 years ago. I didn't understand the mentality then and I still don't. One of lifes little mysteries.

Mark Tyson
July 14, 2003, 07:08 PM
Who knows? Maybe talking to someone with a gun makes him feel important.

HBK
July 14, 2003, 07:34 PM
I think Sheslinger nailed it...why not?

New_comer
July 14, 2003, 08:29 PM
Maybe it's a call to action to your pro-gun advocates to spread the word a bit better on the local rules related to gun ownership...

So that sheeple could be informed and won't worry at the sight ;)

CGofMP
July 15, 2003, 12:38 AM
How about

"Well sir I carry a gun just to show people that *I* personally have the impulse control not to put a round or two into people with big mouth and no brains..... And YOU don't carry beacuse ?_______?"

Naw.. okay bad idea......

c_yeager
July 15, 2003, 01:50 AM
Maybe its just the area that i live in but im pretty impressed with the NON sheeple-like behavior of the Blockbuster's manager. Around here most of the retail types would get nuts if i open carried into their establishment.

Monte Harrison
July 15, 2003, 01:41 PM
He follows me, selling wolf tickets wholesale.Whut duz thayt mean?

Don Gwinn
July 15, 2003, 10:30 PM
I was planning to ask the same thing.

CGofMP
July 15, 2003, 10:34 PM
Looked it up for you....

http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/4/4-670.html#4

"At least 25 years ago, there was a verb "to woof" or "to wolf" (the
pronunciation would have been the same) among black kids in Chicago.
It meant to bluff or challenge. It could be transitive ("Stop woofin'
me, man") or intransitive ("She just woofin'").

ALSO ----

Wolf ticket: To speak aggressively to someone without intending to back it up with violence. "He's selling wolf tickets", meaning he's barking but not going to bite. Also used as street slang.

http://www.geocities.com/waytoofunny_2000/prisonslang.html

WARNING - you may want to turn the volume down if you are VERY easily offended by silly songs when loading the above URL.

Charles

fastbolt
July 15, 2003, 10:48 PM
Blades67,

I don't have the answer to your question ... but reading your post reminded me of something my daughter once said to me ...

She basically told me that whenever there's 2 or more people in a room, there's probably stupid people in there, too ...

I have no idea where she gets that from ...

matsaleh
July 15, 2003, 11:29 PM
blades67 -

You handled that well, as did the Blockbuster store manager.

My reply would be - "Why not?" Let him labor over reasons.

That would have been perfect! I have to remember that one.

I lived in Phoenix about 15 years ago, and it was my first experience with open carry. I was just out of college, and still suffering the aftershocks of all that good liberal indoctrination you get at U.T. Austin. (My "business ethics" prof was an avowed Marxist).

When I saw my first open carry, it was at a Denny's counter where my new bride and I were satisfying a late night case of the munchies (legally induced, no worries!) A plain-looking middle-aged man in a short-sleeved button down shirt and a leather shoulder rig with a .357mag sat down next to us. :what: He said something like, "hey there", and then ordered coffee.

Once I realized I was still alive, I said "hey" back. I mean, what do you say to a man with a gun? You gotta be polite, don't you? :p

After that it was plain sailing - open carry was pretty common, and I got used to it quickly. The best part is that it didn't take me long to actually feel *safer* around guys who legally carried guns than otherwise.

She basically told me that whenever there's 2 or more people in a room, there's probably stupid people in there, too ...

:D Now *that* is one to remember! ROFL!

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do they DO that?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!