Whose worse? Glock Homers or XD Homers

PDA

GunNut
October 10, 2007, 11:03 PM
Having spent a lot of time on THR and many other gun forums, i've come to realize there are only two answers to most questions.

1. Glock
2. XD

For example:

What DA/SA .45ACP should I buy? Steel frame preferred.

Half the answers will be either Glock or XD, funny since neither gun is DA/SA or has a steel frame.

Seems as of late, especially since the release of the XD45, the XD homer crowd is really taking over.

Sure there has always been Glock homers and I may even be one at time:neener:.

So which is worse and which are you?

*This is meant in good nature and in no means designed to incite a debate or argument.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whose worse? Glock Homers or XD Homers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Guncrazy45
October 10, 2007, 11:17 PM
The worst are those who confuse "whose" with "who's."

Yeah, I'm a grammar cop. I've got a diploma and an XD45. Don't make me use them both. :evil:

GunNut
October 10, 2007, 11:21 PM
The worst are those who confuse "whose" with "who's."

Wow, talk about a brain fart:banghead:, I too have a diploma:neener:.

03Shadowbob
October 10, 2007, 11:22 PM
Once the Glock and XD homers show up, it won't be long before the Taurus homers show up. It's the pack mentality :)

CountGlockula
October 10, 2007, 11:26 PM
"Homers"? More like "Lovers". I'm a Glock Lover.

I guess, I like to preach Glocks because I've never had any issues.

When training with other guys that own 1911 Kimbers/Springers, Hks and Sigs...they've all had jamming issues. While my Glock keeps going and going and going.

I'm just fully conviced that my Glock will guard my life. That's all.

Geronimo45
October 10, 2007, 11:49 PM
i've come to realize there are only two answers to most questions.

1. Glock
2. XD
You forgot: 3. 1911.
"I need a .22 rifle to shoot an armadillo in my yard."
"What you need is a Nighthawk Custom 1911 with match-grade barrel, adjustable sights, barrel bushing, 20lpi checkering." :p

cslinger
October 10, 2007, 11:58 PM
I'm an XD Homer myself.

Princi
October 10, 2007, 11:58 PM
Guess I'm a real moron, I don't know what a "homer" is.

I do have an XD and a Glock, and I must say that I shoot the XD better than I do the Glock. I think it has to do with the trigger, but not the weight of the trigger (my Glock trigger pull is half the weight of the XD's, but I like the feel of the XD's better).

The first time I shot an XD I was so impressed with it that I borrowed it to take my CHL test. I later bought one.

Do I think the XD is better than a Glock? No, I just shoot it better than I do the Glock.

Polymer of choice: H&K

james_bond
October 11, 2007, 12:08 AM
The few times I shot a glock it was not that great, I DO NOT blame the gun just the time, place, and situation and my understanding. I did not understand the half-coked trigger option. However, I do love my 5" XD in .45 ACP. the grip angle gives a better point for me. but I do wanna try a glock again someday.

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 11, 2007, 12:15 AM
I guessing homer means fanboy. And I think Glock fanboys are still the worst.

finnerandr
October 11, 2007, 12:35 AM
Im a CZ Homer myself, us CZ fans know that we have the best guns but will allow all you other homers to keep on believing that your guns are superior. Keeps the price down on our CZ's so that we can buy more of them!

GLOOB
October 11, 2007, 12:44 AM
Yeah, we're definitely the worst.

Simple, reliable, cheap, and enduring... like the Bic lighter. I've owned a lot of fancy lighters, butane and Zippos, but the Bic is the only one that has never let me down. And like the Bic, the Glock is ubiquitous (i.e. super-common). If my Glock ever does fail or it lost, I know I can replace it at the nearest gun shop and have confidence that it will be reliable and true, straight out of the box... so I can continue protecting those things which aren't so easily replaced.

The reliability of the Glock has been proven by hundreds of thousands of police and foreign military who have put millions... billions?... of rounds through variants of the Glock.... all of which are 90 percent the same, and all of which come from the same manufacturing plant, made from the same materials, and made to the same specifications and tolerances. That's reassuring.

GunNut
October 11, 2007, 01:07 AM
homer: An apologist, fanatic, and staunch defender with kamikaze-like loyalty.

It's slang.

glockman19
October 11, 2007, 01:19 AM
Glock "Homer", "lover", Fanboy here but in a .45 I'm a 1911 man all the way.
9mm Glock, .40 Sig or HK, .38/357 & .44 S&W or Ruger.

Diamondback6
October 11, 2007, 01:46 AM
Just a Disciple of St. John Moses checking in...

Glocks have "fanboys", 1911s have a RELIGION!:what::neener:

lol

Lonestar49
October 11, 2007, 01:57 AM

Tough choice for me.. I know, ~ Variety is the spice of life - Homer ~ here.

LS :neener:

Autolycus
October 11, 2007, 02:17 AM
HK is seriously the best polymer around.

Overall I would say 1911 people are the worst but XD's people are gaining ground on them.

sm
October 11, 2007, 02:31 AM
RG 38 owners.

These folks are the most secretive bunch there is!
Selfish, hoarders and collectors for sure!

Do you ever see them post on Internet, anywhere?
Of course not, they are not going to be drawn into such discussions.

*smirk*

Jim March
October 11, 2007, 02:43 AM
But...but...THEY'RE NOT REVOLVERS!!!

:neener:

apollosmith
October 11, 2007, 02:56 AM
Sorry to pick on your misspelling, but it reminded me of something that happened to me...

A local Burger King billboard stated, "There back... Chicken Whoppers". I stopped by and politely let them know that the spelling of "there" was incorrect. The manager got all snooty with me. The next day, I drive by and it reada, "Their back... Chicken Whoppers". I just couldn't bring myself to inform him that it should be "They're back..." I guess that's why there's always folks to work fast food.

Valkman
October 11, 2007, 02:57 AM
1911 AND XD45 Homer here! Take that! :D

sm
October 11, 2007, 02:59 AM
Jim,

Gee Willikers and all.
Your Revolver Check out thread not mentioning RG38s specifically ought to tell folks something.

They are that good! :neener:

M1 Shooter
October 11, 2007, 05:48 AM
I like pretty much every major brand handgun out there, there are far more good guns out there than bad in my experience. I have owned and/or fired just about every major brand's pistols, and a few minor brands. Sure I have my favorites, who doesn't, but I try not to get into the silly debates about which is better that always seem to degenerate into pissing contests. What works well for you may not work well for me, and vice versa. It's all very subjective and personal. Buy whatever you like. If it works for you, great.

I really have no problem with the "fanboys" or "homers" as you call them. They just really like their guns, and they want to share with others. Their choice of weapon may actually be the best gun they've ever owned. Many of them just can't or won't understand that their particular choice may not be right for everyone.

What I really get sick of seeing is all the "Which is better" or "Which one should I get" threads. If you don't want the "homers" to show up, then don't ask. Make up your own mind, why ask all of us?
I mean, like I said, there are really very few bad guns out there. If you stick to any of the major brands, and you like the gun, then buy it and then come and post pics and tell us all about it.

REPOMAN
October 11, 2007, 08:40 AM
I love my Glock, but I rreeaallllyy love my H&K....
The difference between Glock and H&K is like condoms:
The generic brand (Glock) protects you just as well as the name brand (H&K), but some people prefer the more expensive name brand.:evil:
I guess I'm a h-glock-k homer

CajunBass
October 11, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'm a Hi-Point homer myself. Oddly enough I think I've shot my C-9 more than any of my other guns. :what:

And I've got a Glock, XD, and a 1911. :neener:

mavracer
October 11, 2007, 09:38 AM
Homers = anyone who when the OP excludes their favorite (IE I don't like Glocks what 9mm's should I look at) still answer glock 17/19.

here a while back there was a 1911 vs Glock thread all the Glock HOMERS said just get a glock, 1911s are junk.whereas the JMB religious right told the OP to try both and make your own decision.

KelTecian
October 11, 2007, 10:07 AM
Dont forget the "Best Bang for your Buck" Kel Tec Homers!

michiganfan
October 11, 2007, 10:12 AM
If elected president there will be a Glock in every pot and a XD in every garage.

everallm
October 11, 2007, 10:42 AM
Just waiting for the traditional .45 v 9mm flame war to start......:evil:

possom813
October 11, 2007, 11:12 AM
I'm not really a homer per say, I like firearms. Whether pistol, rifle or shotgun. If I had to pick my favorite brand, it would probably be Ruger. I've never had any kind of problems with any of their weapons. Reliable and reasonably priced.

So I'm probably a "Ruger Homer", I guess...

-John

strat81
October 11, 2007, 11:32 AM
Half the answers will be either Glock or XD, funny since neither gun is DA/SA or has a steel frame.
The problem is not homers or fanboys. It's that people either a) can't read or b) choose not read. This seems to affect about 5-10% of internet posters.

I recently asked a question in the shotgun forum and specifically stated I had zero interest in 20ga. Sure enough, someone says buy a 20ga.

I like it when people ask about rifles for HD/SD. A dozen posters promptly inform them that a 12ga with 00 Buck is the only choice. A few more say that's crazy, only use birdshot. Then someone else long guns are crazy, he uses a .357Sig because he's worried about overpenetration and killing the orphans next door.

BTW, you guys need to catch up on The Simpsons:
From http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=homer
"1. American bonehead."
"2. Pull a Homer: to succeed despite idiocy."

MCgunner
October 11, 2007, 11:32 AM
Neither, 1911 homers are the worst of the worst, followed by Glock homers, then XD. BWAAAAAA, ha, ha, ha!

At least Glocks and XDs work. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm pretty much a Ruger homer, but I own other stuff, don't let it go to my head.

Dain Bramage
October 11, 2007, 12:39 PM
M&P Homers are the coming wave.

RNB65
October 11, 2007, 12:49 PM
I own XD's, Glock's, and 1911's. :p

:cool:

Smurfslayer
October 11, 2007, 01:03 PM
There's a difference between a fanatic and an apologist.

The former would be at the extreme end of "enthusiasts" whereas the latter chooses to ignore the factual data in their pursuits.

For example, while discussing the various brands of hanguns with a close friend, we got into a "Brand X / Brand Y" disagreement.

Him: Brand X is best, I'll never buy any other.
Smurfslayer: When we were in class, how many timed did your Brand-X malf? 3? over 700 rounds...

He copped to 2, I saw 3. Subject changed..
Not for nothing, but my brand Y has done 900 & 750 rounds without malf or maintenance respectively, and I have a Brand W that has done 850 (the letter is random, and means nothing to anyone but me - I'm trying to keep this mfgr. neutral)

The point is that some folks like kool aid, some don't. For some, the kool aid is fine and works great. Sometimes the kool aid is slightly spoiled. No matter what flavor.

Either way, no matter what brand the whole poly craze is a fad. tupperware firing poseur cartridges that pale in comparison to the 500 S&W

:neener::neener::neener:

2ndamd
October 11, 2007, 01:10 PM
I am a GP100 homer that happen to be checking the semi-auto forum :)

whited
October 11, 2007, 01:11 PM
I generally loathe homers of all varieties.

nitesite
October 11, 2007, 01:15 PM
Ohhh, the quandry I find myself in.

I own an XD-45 and a Glock 29.

Xd ..... Glock.....

.45ACP..... 10mm...............

Ohhhhhh, my head hurts.

hnk45acp
October 11, 2007, 01:26 PM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2237/droolinghomerlg1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

sm
October 11, 2007, 01:29 PM
Hey, I am the old fart that says "Gun Fit" what do I know? :p

I don't personally own a TV, so I have to have folks enlightened me on who, what, when and where with people , places and things such as "Homer" and all these sayings and quotes.

I continue to have a variety of guns, revolver, and semi's available , let folks shoot, and using Hackathorn's method, find out what they shoot best and let it go at that.

Granted I /we get yelled at when a lady shoots a STI race gun, and she finds out this thing is available with her favorite color for the stock /grip.

Ever seen a 6'3" fellow with a 5'4" wife holding a STI : "Oh honey!"

Tip: It don't matter what gun I prefer, I am going to gain distance and then laugh at him.

Gaining distance is so applicable to many of life's situations...:p

HGUNHNTR
October 11, 2007, 01:37 PM
Sorry GUNCRAZY45 (grammar cop)

I have a diploma and an XD45. I don't believe "got" belongs in this sentence.
:)

CajunBass
October 11, 2007, 01:39 PM
Actually I think the word "homer" in this case has more to do with what we used to call a sports announcer who openly rooted for the "home" team no matter how poorly the team plays or how boneheaded the coaching staff is. He was a "Homer."

A "Glock Homer" (or any other gun, car, boat, etc) would be one who never admitted that there was anything wrong with the "home team."

skinnyguy
October 11, 2007, 01:47 PM
I'm with SM.

When I pick up a Glock, I feel like I have a toy in my hand, a top-heavy, icky trigger, rather unattractive toy with a bad POA for my hand. MOST LIKELY will never own one.

When I pick up an XD, it feels light but solid, not like a toy. It's not totally ugly, but it is somewhat unattractive. It will be my next pistol purchase.

When I pick up a Ruger P-series, it tells me; "I love you." I already own one.

Ask me what I like if you want, tell me what you like if you want, but don't let me buy your gun for you, and don't try to tell me what to buy.

And Glock fanboys are the worst.

mainmech48
October 11, 2007, 01:49 PM
I can't wait until I can own at least one of all-of 'em, several truckloads of ammo and spend my time being a "Homer on the Range".

It's not a big dream, but I like it.

Tackdriver
October 11, 2007, 01:53 PM
To answer the question I think Glock homers are probably worse.

I'm a gun homer plain and simple.

I may not want to own them all, but anything I've shot I've enjoyed. I'll never buy a Glock because I think they're hideous but hand one to me with a box of ammo and I'll shoot till it's gone and giggle like a school girl.:D

sm
October 11, 2007, 02:14 PM
Being serious for a moment, as I know some new to firearms folks read THR and other Forums.
I mean some folks may not pick up on some the ribbing and razzing we do as Internet is difficult to express tone, facial expressions and other parts of speech/communication.

Change. Folks physically change as they go through life.
A Shotgun custom fitted to a shooter, and with time, that shooter changes physically and that shotgun has to be fitted again. I am dead serious.

Handguns are the same way. Setting aside injury to hands, wrist, fingers, and arthritis setting in, we change.

I have seen, way too many times a Person with [Enter any newer gun design] just one day realize, the gun and them are not as one anymore. For years they were, and then being brutally honest with themselves, not caring about others, marketing, or anything but finding what fits them and being one with it, Investigate, and Verify.

Sometimes it is a older gun, they used to use, but they had to have a newer design for whatever reason.
Maybe a older gun back in the day that did not, they tried, but at that time, it did not so this is why they have the older gun(s) they do.

It may result in trying another newer design, and this one does fit them.

The more things change- the more they remain the same - anon

The reason some "old" or "antiquated" items are still bought and used is they "fit" the user for task.

Number 2 pencils, Coffee cups, Coffee mugs, Ink pens, Kitchen Knives with wood handles and Carbon Steel blades, Firearms.

Ever had a set of dishes and that coffee cup/mug was just "uncomfortable"?
Oh it gets used when company comes, but when it is just you and yours - the ones that "fit" each person that "favorite" is the one used. Yours may different from Spouse, and Kids.

How many have been a bit frantic, not seeing your coffee mug, and find it in the dishwasher still dirty and wash by hand to use that morning?

Firearms are this same way.

If one will notice, many of the best selling styles, are based on Old designs as far as grip size, angle, width, and other "specs".

Everything is still compared to older designs...

People change...and in more ways than one.

Phydeaux642
October 11, 2007, 03:03 PM
D'oh!!

XD homer, here.:D I think Glock homers are worse, though.:neener:

"Phydeaux, bad dog....no biscuit!"

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 11, 2007, 03:09 PM
I may not want to own them all, but anything I've shot I've enjoyed. I'll never buy a Glock because I think they're hideous but hand one to me with a box of ammo and I'll shoot till it's gone and giggle like a school girl.
Tackdriver is online now Report Post

Winner.

I only buy guns for me that look good and work. The Glock just works.

BryanP
October 11, 2007, 03:11 PM
I loves me my XD45, but it's not perfect. Neither is my SIG P220, Ruger GP100 or S&W 638.

Everything has flaws. I'm a sysadmin by trade, I know people who are Homers for MS products, Novell products and every *nix flavor around. They will defend their choice to all Homers of the other flavors, but among their own they can easily come up with lots of flaws to gripe about.

Here's my XD gripe: I hate that you can't change the recoil spring without buying an entire guide rod assembly. At least if you can I can't figure it out.

GTSteve03
October 11, 2007, 03:12 PM
Glock homers, definitely.

I mean come on, the company even says their product is "perfection" when they've had how many "not-a-recalls"? :scrutiny:

I prefer Sigs myself. HKs are good too. Always found the XD to look like the illegitimate child of a drunk 1911 and a willing Glock. :p

CZ52GUY
October 11, 2007, 04:37 PM
...are the worst.

Steve is dead on, as usual.

Fit is everything with a firearm. I'd add eyesight to the list of changes. Also, as my skills have progressed, I've become less enamored with some of the accessories and customizations, etc. Some helped me along the road, and that was fine, but they are becoming less necessary.

Anybody that says just get a "fill-in-the-blank" based on their own biases ignores the fundamental truth that Steve communicates. I can't say just get a "fill-in-the-blank" shoe to anyone because I have no idea what unique attributes their feet may entail, if they have some medical issue which requires a unique orthodic, etc. The same is true for firearms.

I'm a Glock guy. I have other brands, and have owned or tried most that are out there. I've practiced hard. My best open carry draw is under .9, and I typically score pretty wall on the standards CoF (e.g. Gunsite, Federal Air Marshall, etc.). I've done splits as low as .14 in a shoot house and with a G-34 in a simple OWB nearly outscored my teacher running an open 1911 that he probably spent 4 digits having customized. I practice 50M Headshots off-hand against a timer (with my carry piece which is a G-26). More often than not, I can hit the 6x6 well in of an IPSC/IDPA target.

My skills are hard earned and perishable if I don't keep my skills sharp. It has nothing to do with the brand name of the mfg. I use Glocks, have tailored them for my needs. I know shooters who do very well (MUCH better than I) using other platforms. It's not the blaster, it's the shooter.

Safe Shooting,

CZ52'

Brian Williams
October 11, 2007, 06:22 PM
I Hate The Lock

Cannonball888
October 11, 2007, 06:32 PM
http://blog.ogcan.com/archives/Homer_Gun.gif

First Shirt
October 11, 2007, 06:52 PM
I've shot Glocks, my son owned one, and I tried it. I didn't like it.

My daughter and her husband have his-n-hers Ruger P-90s. Tried them, didn't like them.

Wife went through a couple 9mm's and now has a 4-inch GP-100. Don't really like it, much.

Been shooting 1911s since I was a sprout. (First one was a 1911, not an -A1). They fit my hand, and I can shoot them pretty doggone good. I REALLY like that.

All this is merely opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. Best to form your own.

JWB

crebralfix
October 11, 2007, 07:38 PM
[Glock|XD] Homer

Sheesh...it's just a gun.

Elm Creek Smith
October 11, 2007, 08:32 PM
I'm just waiting for this "smokeless" fad to end so we can all get back to shooting real gunpowder from our revolvers.:scrutiny:

ECS

jay43
October 11, 2007, 08:46 PM
Whose worse? Glock Homers or XD Homers

how bout adding 1911 homers to the list? sounds like an interesting poll

jay43
October 11, 2007, 08:48 PM
This is meant in good nature and in no means designed to incite a debate or argument

no this won't create a debate or argument!

f4t9r
October 11, 2007, 08:52 PM

Yes that would be Glock owners.

MCgunner
October 11, 2007, 10:05 PM
Actually I think the word "homer" in this case has more to do with what we used to call a sports announcer who openly rooted for the "home" team no matter how poorly the team plays or how boneheaded the coaching staff is. He was a "Homer."

Don't matter. Don't think sm ever had a radio either, so he wouldn't really know what a sports announcer is. :neener::D

bigcim
October 11, 2007, 11:14 PM
when I see Homers I start looking for Bart's and Lisa's
I thought I was going to read about the Simpsons

GLOOB
October 12, 2007, 02:00 AM
asdrf

GLOOB
October 12, 2007, 02:01 AM
Glock MIGHT have the worst fanbois, but is there ANY question that they have the worst HATERS???!?!?!! ]

I mean, who cares if it's reliable, accurate, low-maintenance, and has the most durable finish, when...

"Plastic is a fad."
I mean who cares if it doesn't corrode or get scratched, absorbs recoil, and is light as a feather. A gun is supposed to be all steel with full guide rails, so that it will require more frequent cleaning and oiling to function reliably.

"The gun is too top heavy." Sure, loaded with 17 round of ammo, it bulks up quickly, but what if I miss with that last shot because the handle was too light?

"The grip angle is too steep." If ever have to shoot a BG quickly, I'll miss a mile high at point blank range. But the much steeper grip angle on the Ruger .22 (and most other precision target pistols) is just perfect, cuz Olympic shooters who put 5 shots through the same hole at 10 meters find it easier to do so while feeling as awkward as possible.

"The safety in the trigger is stupid." Because if I ever dropped MY gun of choice, I'd deftly re-engage the manual safety before it hit the ground and caused an AD to kill the guy standing in the next shooting lane.

"The Glock kb's." Sure, my brand kb's, too.. but they don't claim "perfection," so it's ok.

"If the Glock is so perfect, why have they had parts recalls?" The original Glock was already more reliable than my weapon, so what gives? My 1911 underwent several "improvements," not recalls, earlier in it's life. Therefore, the manufacturer did not feel the need to upgrade previous customers for free. Over the last 50 years, the remaining deficiencies are considered fundamental design flaws.... therefore recalls are unnecessary. The remaining tuning required to make the gun reliable enough for defensive purposes are supposed to be custom work... So I can have a super reliable one-off gun that has a track record of zero.

:0 :) :0 :)

mavracer
October 12, 2007, 07:55 AM
Glock MIGHT have the worst fanbois, but is there ANY question that they have the worst HATERS???!?!?!! ]

I mean, who cares if it's reliable, accurate, low-maintenance, and has the most durable finish, when...
HOMER the problem is there are other guns out there that are reliable,accurate and low maintenance and some of them have more durable finishes actually.I myself own many handguns all of which are reliable and accurate and none are Glocks.Get off your pedistool Homer Glocks are fine weapons but they are not one size fits all.

tinygnat219
October 12, 2007, 08:12 AM
CZ-Homer here, recovering Taurus Homer, XD Homer too, and Glock Homers are respected as they are nice guns, just not for me.

CZs, ah how I love these. Keep the secret secret and prices will be lower.

Glockensig
October 12, 2007, 08:44 AM
The worst homers have nothing to do with brand name. The WORST Homers are the 9mm caliber Homers!!!!! Thread after thread will start with the question:
40 S&W or 357 Sig or....
.45 ACP vs. .40 S&W or...
Should I get a 10mm or .45 ACP
Invariably, the 9'ers will jump in and totally derail the thread. It's almost like they have an inferiority complex!! If I started a thread about battleships, I guarantee before the 5th post, someone would say," My 9mm +P++P++P++ can do anything your battleship Iowa can do!!"

Walkalong
October 12, 2007, 10:19 AM
A Homer? I dunno.

I love 1911's, all flavors, Smith Revolvers, Ruger Revolvers, XD's, CZ/Witness Autos, and I have some other cool stuff too. :D

No Glocks.

MCgunner
October 12, 2007, 11:29 AM
The worst homers have nothing to do with brand name. The WORST Homers are the 9mm caliber Homers!!!!!

Worst that .45 homers? I don't think so. Hey, but it's gotta be big, small bullets might expand, but big bullets don't shrink? I think the .45 homers are mostly 1911 homers, though I have a .45 and it sure ain't no 1911, thank God.:D I've got two 9s, multiple .357s and .38s, bunches of .22s, a .380 and about to add another, a .45 Colt. I'm NOT a caliber homer, but I've bordered on .357 homership in the past. I realize the caliber does have some down side to it, so I don't really praise it like I used to. Still like it, though. :D

Different calibers for different jobs. I think caliber homers tend to be tacticool. I'm an outdoorsman and need calibers for CCW and calibers that will actually stop something like a hog or a deer. :D I think the reason I've always liked the .357 is that it can do both pretty well and chamber .38 special, too.

Dain Bramage
October 12, 2007, 11:40 AM
Brand with the least number of Homers:

Mannlicher

Fanboys can't say it with a straight face, or without Beavis and Butthead guffaws from friends.

mavracer
October 12, 2007, 11:49 AM
The worst homers have nothing to do with brand name. The WORST Homers are the 9mm caliber Homers!!!!! Thread after thread will start with the question:
thread started with
9mm ccw shoot-out poll
post #47
Taurus PT145 PRO (not listed) and .45acp (not 9mm) Would also carry my Witness Compact all steel 10mm in a pinch but would never leave home with just a 9mm unless it was a 9 x 63.
post #76
What about the H&K USPc in a .40cal??????
caliber homers come in all sizes

buzz_knox
October 12, 2007, 12:39 PM
.45 Homers are the worst of them all. Whatever the platform, the .45 Homer claims that that caliber is the end all, be all. Anything smaller is worthless and will practically make the target feel better. Anything bigger is a waste of energy.

Walkalong
October 12, 2007, 02:00 PM
.45 Homers are the worst of them all.
Oh shoot, I am a Homer. :D

buzz_knox
October 12, 2007, 02:04 PM
Oh shoot, I am a Homer.

I'm more of a lover than a Homer. And when it comes to calibers and weapons, I'm definitely not monogamous. ;)

GRIZ22
October 12, 2007, 05:32 PM
Buy what feels best to you. Either is a quality firearm.

ShooterMcGavin
October 12, 2007, 06:59 PM
IMO, Glock Homers seem to be a little more "intense"...
When it is pointed out that someone has issues with parts of the Glock's design (i.e. chamber support, plastic sights, etc.), many times the response is "whatever, you can just replace all those parts and then the gun is sweet!". Sorry guys, but I think it's true ;)

BTW- yes, I would trust my life to a Glock.

Hunter0924
October 12, 2007, 07:51 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/Hunter1911/glock-vs-1911.jpg

Charles Foxtrot
October 12, 2007, 08:07 PM
Hi, I'm Charlie, and I'm a Glockaholic.

Damm things keep appearing in my gun safe. Ever since I picked up my first one - around 1992. They fit me well, point automatically, perform accurately, and they have all been absolutely reliable (two, maybe three FTEs in all these years). The same basic design is available in a wide series of sizes and calibers. What's not to love? And yeah, I tend to spread the good word of Glock Perfection to all the heathens, I mean the uninformed, errr... I mean -- inexperienced...

That being said, I'm no fan of the Third Generation of Glocks. The dang finger serrations just don't fit my big hammys.

The next pistol is likely to be a M&P 45. I had the same Grok Glock experience when I pick up a M&P for the first time. 8^)' And just maybe a HK 45 USP... Oh well, I didn't need those paychecks anyway.

Edit: A 2nd Gen, unfired Glock 20 followed me home today -- Can I keep her, Honey? Honey???

mgregg85
October 12, 2007, 11:30 PM
lol I say the glock crowd is worse because they always mistakenly think Gaston Glock made the first polymer pistol and therefore every other polymer pistol is just a glock clone.

possum
October 13, 2007, 02:03 AM
i love how everything ever produced in the gun world is compared to the glock. they are fine weapons but come on they aren't the best answer for everyone.

it used to be the glock homers, and i am glad that there are more and more xd homers out there.

sm
October 13, 2007, 02:48 AM
Elm Creek Smith wrote:
I'm just waiting for this "smokeless" fad to end so we can all get back to shooting real gunpowder from our revolvers.

And I thought I was a Curmudgeon :D

I admit, I never got into Black-Powder shooting.
Nor did I ever get into reloading Metallic.
Shotguns and reloading Shotgun shells...I "only" had 11 reloaders up and running at the same time.

Still I have shot BP, rifles shotguns and handguns.

BP Revolvers do have a Gun Fit, Soul, and Character about them that is unique to them for sure.

Boooom!
"Nice Shot - you hit it!" -friend
*cough* *ack* I did? *cough* This is great, you load this thing and I'll go set up the tin cans again" -me

I like this being the invited guest and having someone load and all I gotta do is shoot. I could get Spolit!

:D

Guitargod1985
October 13, 2007, 03:29 AM
When training with other guys that own 1911 Kimbers/Springers, Hks and Sigs...they've all had jamming issues. While my Glock keeps going and going and going.

Jamming issues with an HK, huh? That gun must have had over a hundred thousand rounds through it then. I've owned 4 HKs (although I only own one now) and put nearly 60,000 rounds through them combined. Before I sold the USP compact (40 S&W) I had almost 35,000 rounds through it and only needed to replace the guide rod and springs. I have NEVER had any failures of any kind with an HK. Then again, I've never owned a Glock so I can't speak of their reliability, although enough people vouch for them that I'm sure they are more than okay. I guess you would call me an HK "homer." :)

I also used to have an XD45 Tactical and I only had 2 failures with that gun. I only put 3,000 rounds or so through it, though. One of the failures was due to a bullet seated too deeply in the casing; not sure about the other one.

Zeke Menuar
October 13, 2007, 06:06 AM
I think the Glock homers are far more annoying than any of the other homers combined. They've been at it longer, and have perfected the fine art of whining.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/glockkbti5.jpg

Hope the Glock guys have a sense of humor today.

ZM

Geno
October 13, 2007, 06:57 AM
I shocked and astonished! :p We've had 82 posts here of the "Homers" and nobody has brought up the "Kimberites"?! Talk about blind devotion. Problem I see is that at least the Glocks only cost $479.00 and they actually run. But when you pay $1,200.00+, and have to spend $479.00 in "break-in" ammunition well that's a Homer. :neener:

MCgunner
October 13, 2007, 10:20 AM
I admit, I never got into Black-Powder shooting.
Nor did I ever get into reloading Metallic.
Shotguns and reloading Shotgun shells...I "only" had 11 reloaders up and running at the same time.

BP is great fun and reloading handgun ammo is far more economical than shotguns. Trying to save money on shotguns is folly. By reloading and casting my own bullets from range scrap, I cut the cost of a box of .45 Colt to under 2 dollars.

MCgunner
October 13, 2007, 10:22 AM
I shocked and astonished! We've had 82 posts here of the "Homers" and nobody has brought up the "Kimberites"?!

They're just a subset of the 1911ites and JMB worshippers.

scurtis_34471
October 13, 2007, 10:50 AM
I love my XD-40 and I'm a huge fan of the platform. I also really like the CZ platform. Did I mention that Bersa makes excellent affordable guns or that my wife's S&W M&P 9c is a great gun? I also think I could learn to love a Sig P220 or P239. Then there is the HK UPS and P2000 series.

I don't think I'm a homer at all. I just like good guns and there are lots of them out there.

Geno
October 13, 2007, 11:35 AM
MCgunner said:

They're just a subset of the 1911ites and JMB worshippers.

I would argue with you, but we would be on the same team. Makes little sense. Like anything, too much devotion, becomes blind devotion.

Not sure any "perfect" pistol exists. Even my 5 Colts, each and every single one of the has a slightly different fit. Perfect, at least in my mind, would at miniumum be consistent from one piece to the next.

Doc2005

XD-40 Shooter
October 13, 2007, 11:54 AM
XD40 fan here.:D The Glock's have never appealed to me, the grip angle, the finger serrations, the loose chamber = kaboom with reloads, and polygonal rifling = no lead bullets.:neener:

When I bought my XD in 2002, as soon as I picked it up, my thought was "wow, this fits me like a glove". It pointed naturally, my finger was in the perfect position on the trigger, the fit could not be better. 2000+ rounds later and not a single failure, I love my XD.

I agree with the comment about the Kimber's. A friend of mine recently bought the 3" 1911 compact, right out of the box, it would not feed WWB hollowpoints, this is a $1000 pistol! He's having a gunsmith throat the chamber for $50. Spending $50 on a $1000 gun to get it to feed hollowpoints?:scrutiny: Something's wrong with this picture. Needless to say, based on his experience, I won't be buying any Kimbers.:neener:

Kimber1911_06238
October 13, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a kimber lover. I don't blindly argue that they are the best pistol made....I just say that I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I hear lots of glock and xd lovers talking about how kimber's have tons of ftf's, etc. I've never had any problems in over 6,000 rounds....hollowpoints, fmj's, handloads, factory loads, etc. I've tried to limp wrist and get it to jam...but I couldn't. Maybe my wrists just aren't limp enough, who knows. Not sure where all theses stories come from.

Everyone seems to have a friend of a friend of a friend with a kimber that's a POS....but this hasn't been my experience.

Remember folks, everyone has their own opinions, just let them shoot what they like and what works for them :)

I always hear about 1911's not feeding hollowpoints reliably (even though all of mine do), but the glock's inability to shoot lead is brushed off...wonder why that is.

TL1234
October 13, 2007, 05:20 PM
I always hear about 1911's not feeding hollowpoints reliably (even though all of mine do), but the glock's inability to shoot lead is brushed off...wonder why that is.

Because unless you are a reloader that doesn't really matter.

I really do think hardcore 1911 fans are generally the worst of the bunch. I love 1911s, but 1911 worship is so hardcore with some people that they are willing to accept poor performance, which is something I don't notice with other fanboys.

This GREAT article sums it up better than I could: http://munchkinwrangler.blogspot.com/2007/01/bad-good-and-pretty.html

Snarlingiron
October 13, 2007, 06:06 PM

Whew!... I thought this was about Homer-sexuals.

10-Ring
October 13, 2007, 06:51 PM
I guess I lean more towards the Glock side of this arguement & would throw HK when it's all said & done :D

oldredneck
October 13, 2007, 06:59 PM
People have different tastes. I understand there are people who love 1911s or Glocks or Rugers or Springfields or Colts or Smiths or KelTecs and on and on and on................ If everyone liked the same gun there would only be one gun manufacturer. Some of us just love guns! I own a Glock and a XD40and I love both of them along with all my other firearms; otherwise, I certainly wouldn't keep them.:D:D

KC&97TA
October 13, 2007, 07:05 PM
Go with a Springfield 1911, the "Loaded" is a great value, wouldn't by a Mil-Spec or a GI unless you want to pay money to upgrade it. Unless you can aford $1600 for an Ed Brown... that's were I'd go for a stell frame 1911. Kimber Aluminum Frames are well build. Both SA and Kimber are warrantied for life, as long as you don't grid or drill the frame or slide.

I say I'm a 1911 guy with 4 to my name 2 SA .45acp and 2 Kimbers; a .45acp and a 9mm, but I also have a XD-40, not a fan of the XD, it feels like a fat 1911 to me, the price was right. It's my $400 point and shoot, don't worry if the cops hold onto it for a while HD pistol.

FWIW: I don't like Glocks... they just aren't very ergonomic.

MCgunner
October 13, 2007, 07:09 PM
Quote:

Wow, I did not know that! Learn somethin' new every day. Yet another reason not to own a Glock. If I can't shoot my own cast bullets in it, I sell it. I had a kinda neat 1917 Smith and Wesson in .45 ACP. It would NOT shoot lead bullets, keyhole. Turns out, it was rifled really shallow and was only intended for ball. Lead strips the rifling in 'em. I sold it, no use for a gun that won't shoot cast bullets no matter how neat it is.

Kimber1911_06238
October 14, 2007, 10:14 AM
I guess I'm a traitor....I love most guns, 1911's, glocks, sigs, etc. I'm also kinda crazy about rifles, shotguns, and archery.

I AM SEKPTICAL OF ANYTHING THAT SOMEONE CLAIMS TO BE THE ABSOLUTE BEST IN ANY CATEGORY. That's my position on this subject ;)

SuperNaut
October 14, 2007, 12:59 PM
I recommend XD's all the time, however I am careful to add a few caveats based on my experience with them. Not to put too fine a point on it but; I rarely (if ever) see the same behavior from the all caps GLOCK! Tribe. This leads me to question the GLOCK! Tribe's objectivity... :) ;)

GunNut
October 14, 2007, 01:05 PM
I recommend XD's all the time, however I am careful to add a few caveats based on my experience with them. Not to put too fine a point on it but; I rarely (if ever) see the same behavior from the all caps GLOCK! Tribe. This leads me to question the GLOCK! Tribe's objectivity...

That is me too. I really enjoy my Glock handguns for their simplicity, but have owned XD's and really have nothing but good to say about them.

It's just there are more answers than Glock and XD to most posters questions.

browningguy
October 14, 2007, 01:48 PM
I'd rank them Glock, CZ, JMB/1911, then XD. The XD boys just haven't had time to catch up yet.

But like others I think the main problem is people can't read, and I think it's more like 50% than 10%. Personally I own three of the above groups, just never have been able to shoot a Glock well, and no I don't like the safe action design. I guess I'm more of a cocked and locked Homer, I do have a few decocker guns, but I don't let my friends know about them.

helpless
October 14, 2007, 03:13 PM
Recently traded in my xd 45 for a g19. I dont think of my self as a lover of either. the g19 fits my needs more.

rugerfreak
October 14, 2007, 04:44 PM
XD homers are the worse---cause Glock is simply a better gun.

That said--I don't even own a Glock anymore---and am down to 2 pistols---a Ruger 22/45 and a Sig 226.

Most of my shooting is with rifles and shotguns now----mainly own the pistols to keep up the pistol shooting skills.

biggiesmalls
October 14, 2007, 05:52 PM
sold my glock to buy an xd :)

Autolycus
October 14, 2007, 06:09 PM
I think it is 1911 homers. I realized that in another thread.

fltrucker73
October 17, 2007, 01:55 AM
XD all the way.......

evan price
October 17, 2007, 02:28 AM
I guess I am most tired of all the silly posts that are like, "Which should I get, a Glock 17, a Browning HP or a HK P7?"

'Cause you always get the guy who chirps in about his Zominboomer Custom Shop .45 1911.

1911 fanboys are the worst. They throw money down rat holes and then brag about all the money they wasted! Kind of like people who own boats.

The obvious answer is, if you have to ask on Teh Innernet what gun YOU should buy, you probably shouldn't have ANY.

TOADMAN
October 17, 2007, 01:11 PM
By head and shoulders, the 1911 fanboys are the worst..

Brian Dale
October 18, 2007, 03:15 AM
I like handguns. Some fit my hand better than others. I can hit with some better than others. I have favorites.

Your hands are probably different from mine. Your shooting style might be different, too.

Use what works for you. :)

Oh, I just saw this: .45 Homers are the worst of them all. Yeah, I like .45ACP very well. Problem is, I luuuves me some .45 Colt. :eek:

Hunter0924, that's a great cartoon.

Added to my "Gratitude List:"
We have so many great handguns available to us in the modern world that we can rave about them like football fans cheering for favorite teams. Life is Good.

mavracer
October 18, 2007, 10:22 AM
just posted in revolver section.
Actually the Glock 33 in 357 Sig would be my favorite choice for carry.
20 Ozs.
10+1 shots.
More acurate for me than a snubbie.
Get a .40 barrel for $100.00 for cheaper practice ammo.
I have thousands of rounds thru mine and it's still like new.
Oscar

boomstik45
October 18, 2007, 10:26 AM
Basically, this thread is an opportunity for name-calling. Brilliant. :banghead:

Lock_N_Load
October 18, 2007, 12:24 PM
Look, all you have to do is find an XD and a Glock to test. Go to the range and shoot both of them. Your choice will hands-down be an XD. The Glock is an excellent gun (probably more than excellent, it is absolutely brilliant). However the XD is every bit as good and their ergonomics are much better than Glocks. You also get a lot more gun for the money. I own an XD9-SC for carry and I absolutely love it. The one great claim that Glock can make that XD can't quite make yet is that they have the test of time to prove out their reliability. This really is not that much more of an advantage over the XD since it has been in service in Croatia for years and years. Time will tell but I am certain that it will prove that XD is much more gun than most polymers out there (including HK).

Now if you are purely looking for enjoyment at the range, competition, or serious plinking then Sig Sauer is your best choice. Sigs are things of beauty. Bottom line go to the range and I believe your experience will prove my opinions on this matter right. Good luck!

Radjxf
October 18, 2007, 03:06 PM
IMO the Glock fanboys are the worst. You could ask for a recommendation on which Freedom Arms 454 to buy, and they'll recommand a G19:scrutiny:
1911 fanboy comes next (used to be one), THEN maybe the XD "homers".

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 18, 2007, 09:38 PM
Dog owners.

Geno
October 18, 2007, 09:58 PM
Homer-of-the-Year goes to the people who don't actually read a thread before they post:

The question is: "Whose worse? Glock Homers or XD Homers"

Look, all you have to do is find an XD and a Glock to test. Go to the range and shoot both of them. Your choice will hands-down be an XD. The Glock is an excellent gun (probably more than excellent, it is absolutely brilliant). However the XD is every bit as good and their ergonomics are much better than Glocks. You also get a lot more gun for the money. I own an XD9-SC for carry and I absolutely love it. The one great claim that Glock can make that XD can't quite make yet is that they have the test of time to prove out their reliability. This really is not that much more of an advantage over the XD since it has been in service in Croatia for years and years. Time will tell but I am certain that it will prove that XD is much more gun than most polymers out there (including HK).

Now if you are purely looking for enjoyment at the range, competition, or serious plinking then Sig Sauer is your best choice. Sigs are things of beauty. Bottom line go to the range and I believe your experience will prove my opinions on this matter right. Good luck!

:banghead: What?!

Lock_N_Load
October 19, 2007, 03:27 AM
My bad. I had a senior moment. Homer of the year year goes to me. Who is worse? After living in ultra liberal states in the east coast for so long anyone who is passionate about their guns is OK with me. I live out west now and I am loving living among folk who appreciate their right to bear arms.

bigghoss
October 20, 2007, 07:46 AM
I'm pretty tired of anyone who says "only get this everything else is worthless" there are loads of great guns on the market right now and I have yet to find one that seems to stand out.

Dallas Jack
October 20, 2007, 02:24 PM
Don't own a Glock or a XD. My answer would have been EAA Witness.
Dallas Jack

ernunnos
October 24, 2007, 10:43 AM
I guess I'm a Glock and a 1911 homer.

Those two designs are different as could be, but when you look at what the pros choose to rely on, it's usually one of those two. And I don't think it's any coincidence that they were both designed by individuals with strong opinions about how a firearm should work. Guns are more than just a list of features. A proper fighting weapon is almost a philosophy in physical form. After a couple thousand rounds, the difference between a handgun that was designed by a committee and a handgun designed by a visionary becomes obvious.

CTPistol
October 24, 2007, 10:53 AM
yeah guess Im a real homer for owning them all too....Glock,XD,1911s...

usually the ones 100% loyal to a certain brand only own ONE and they will talk till' blue in the face telling you how great it is (a plastic cop pistol?)

hey homers, get better jobs and enjoy all guns!

:D

whited
October 24, 2007, 01:29 PM
Dog owners.

+1

The worst homers on earth come from this group of sanctimonious knuckleheads. Period.

Phil DeGraves
October 26, 2007, 03:59 PM
Are we a bigoted bunch or what?

WVMountainBoy
October 27, 2007, 01:57 AM
I own 3 XD's and 1 Glock, they're great guns in many respects.
As to the topic of the thread I'm going to say the Glock people are the worst. Some of them are like religious fanatics.

Brian Dale
October 27, 2007, 10:57 AM
Some of them are like religious fanatics.It's not new. Computer people used to call the Mac vs. PC arguments "religious wars."

This kind of thing has been going on since Og and Greb spent their evenings in the cave arguing about which kind of club was best for bears.

Phil, I think that the OP put forth a lighthearted, somewhat silly thread; it's mostly tongue in cheek. Laughing at myself keeps my blood pressure down. YMMV.

Mal H
October 27, 2007, 11:11 AM
What's worse than Glock Homers or XD Homers? That would be threads that go on and on about them with a very small signal to noise ratio.

Closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whose worse? Glock Homers or XD Homers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!