.30-30 Hollow points or Soft points?

PDA

Case82
October 11, 2007, 02:54 AM
I have a Marlin 336, Glock 23 & Remington 870 for defense. The Glock is a .40 and is loaded with Federal TAP hollow points. The 870 is a 20g. and is loaded with #3 buckshot. My question is, what would you recommend for the .30-30, hollow points or soft points? This is strictly for defense as I don't hunt.

If you enjoyed reading about ".30-30 Hollow points or Soft points?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M1 Shooter
October 11, 2007, 05:55 AM
This should probably be posted in Rifle Country, since this is the handgun forum. However, if you insist on using your .30-30 carbine for home defense, load it with the lightest weight hollow point bullet you can find to minimize the chances of overpenetration.

I must ask you though, why use the .30-30 when you have your defense needs already pretty well covered with your pistol and shotgun?
Do you live out in the boonies? If not, then the .30-30 is probably not the best choice for a defensive carbine for a city dweller, but it would be fine out in rural areas.

hamourkiller
October 11, 2007, 07:04 AM
The 30-30 150gr deer hunting loads will work fine, hollow pt or soft pt. Will make no difference. The carbine is a fine home defense rifle.
Each gun has its place in your home defense plans, so learn how to use each with equal skill.
The main advantage of the rifle is its extreme leathality as compared to the shotgun and handgun and ease of hitting what you aim at.
The traditional 30-30 does not look "bad" but will work well for your purpose, plus if you ever decide to go deer hunting in the woods you are all set.

Soap
October 11, 2007, 07:44 AM
I would use the Winchester 150 gr. hollow point load.

GunNut
October 11, 2007, 01:27 PM
Either will work and both will overpenetrate.

Pick what you gun likes and make sure you know what is behind your target.

cookekdjr
October 11, 2007, 02:42 PM
Any common 30-30 round will be absolutely devastating on a person. I have seen the results first hand on the job. Doesn't matter what you use. Body parts will explode, blood goes everywhere, subject will drop and bleed out almost immediately even if nothing "vital" is hit. Had a girl shot in head; head exploded. Had a guy shot in butt as he was running/diving; bullet exploded through his torso and guy dropped DRT. Had other cases, too. Shot subject always died and died fast. Noting like any pistol shooting I've seen. Its a whole other league.
-David

The Bushmaster
October 11, 2007, 04:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Marlin 336 a tube magazine rifle? My Winchester 94 is...Make sure you are using bullets designed for a tubular magazine like Speer FNSP or a factory round that is just for rifles with tubular magazines like the mod 94 and 336...Unless you plan to manually chamber load each pointed bullet cartridge stay away from them...

351 WINCHESTER
October 11, 2007, 05:49 PM
I switched to winchester 150 hollow points years ago. They kill deer quicker than the remington core lock. I don't think it wise to touch off a .30-30 inside your house. It will make your ears ring for sure and if you hit your target it may overpenetrate. Don't think a .30-30 as much of a house gun. Better off left to hunting.

NCHornet
October 11, 2007, 08:57 PM
I have used 30/30 soft points to drop many whitetails but I too don't believe this is a smart HD weapon. You are talking about extreme over penetration and unless you live by yourself and out in the middle of nowhere I would reconsider this idea and use it for deer hunting, venison is some of the finest meat you will ever sink your teeth into!!

MCgunner
October 11, 2007, 09:52 PM
Way too penetrating and yeah, should be in Rifles forum. 130 flat point would reduce penetration as much as possible. I know of no hollow points for the .30-30 except that the Nosler BT I fire in my Contender (a handgun) in .30-30 is sort of a hollow point, works like a hollow point when it hits and the plastic tip vanishes. Maybe wrong on the hollow point thing, don't really know what's out there in commecial loads, only reload for hunting in my Contender with spitzer boattails.

But, yeah, you're going to have to use flat points in a tube magazine or Lever Revolution from Hornady.

zeke
October 12, 2007, 05:31 AM
Federal has a 30-30 125 gn hp factory load, and Sierra sells 125 gn jhps for hand loading the 30-30.

If you enjoyed reading about ".30-30 Hollow points or Soft points?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!