Aguilla 12 Gauge Min Shells and an 870

PDA

cslinger
January 9, 2003, 05:51 PM
Anybody ever try these. If so anybody try them in an 870.

Just curious really. I would like to try some just for the heck of it but only if there is no danger to the firearm.

I don't care about their hunting/tactical capability one wit I just wanted to try them out, sort of play with the shotgun a bit. So don't bother with SD advice regarding these as I have Federal 00 for that.

So what's the verdict?

Dave MCC has to have tried these things since he is one of the uber shotgun guru's always full of info.

Thanks
Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Aguilla 12 Gauge Min Shells and an 870" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lord Grey Boots
January 9, 2003, 05:56 PM
There is apparently one shotgun these work reliably in. The Rem 870 isn't it. IIRC one of the Winchester shotguns is compatible.

The short length of the round makes it hard to feed.

RussB
January 9, 2003, 06:10 PM
I tried them in my 870 express. They did not feed or eject reliably.

MrAcheson
January 9, 2003, 07:09 PM
No they do not work in 870s. Winchester shotguns work pretty well with the 1300s being reliable with them and evidentally some 1897s do ok too. Mossbergs need some simple work on the elevator and then they'll work, in a pinch you can just try to short stroke it right and it will usually work as well. 870 shooters should forget about it, according to Aguila ain't nothing you can do.

Dave McCracken
January 9, 2003, 07:42 PM
Haven't tried them yet, and probably won't. Lots of good ammo out there, and the word is these do not function at all in an 870.

An 870 is as reliable as anything human made. Why chance messing that up?

HS/LD
January 9, 2003, 08:01 PM
Hehehe

The will function in a:

WINCHESTER 1300 :neener:

HS/LD

Navy joe
January 9, 2003, 08:04 PM
They won't hurt the gun. I have a 3" 870 police and have played with several boxes. They chamber load fine. In the tube they feed under normal cycling as long as I load a std. shell last in the tube. If a mini-shell is last the mag spits it out and flips it over. So, I say they work ok. I'd like to play with their buckshot, The slugs are pretty small in a smoothbore IC (can drop an unfired one down the muzzle) They don't stabilize worth a darn. Accurate to 15 yds. Fun. YMMV

sm
January 9, 2003, 08:16 PM
They work most elegant in a fine old British SXS game gun with 2 1/2" chambers, my Dear Old Chap.

I say Old Boy - how do you expect to ever be invited to where the birds driven, with no proper gun and tweeds?
:neener:

blades67
January 9, 2003, 09:55 PM
The 870's elevator needs to be modified so that the Minishells will feed reliably, and the mod won't effect the way standard shell feed.

Even easier is to buy a better shotgun like the Winchester 1300 Defender.:neener:

As C.R. Sam might say, the 870 is good, but the 1300 is gooder!:D

cslinger
January 10, 2003, 10:39 AM
Appreciate all the responses. I am not going to jack around with a perfectly good gun just so I can play with a new toy shell.

I was just curious reallly. Just seemed like some neat range fodder or very low recoil round for slowly teaching somebody.

Thanks again.

Chris

Andrew Wyatt
January 10, 2003, 03:12 PM
I tried the minislugs in my mossberg 500.

every round dropped theough the hole in the elevator and ended up muzzle down.

they also would not eject, I had to knock each round out with a cleaning rod.

I don't think mexican ammo is the way to go for total shotgun reliability.

KMKeller
January 10, 2003, 03:22 PM
Minislugs in a coach gun... there's something to think about.

sm
January 10, 2003, 09:19 PM
Mini shotshells work great in coach guns.

Nice to have to shoot an old British game gun with the short chambers.
The thing is-- the only thing they are really good for is a 2 1/2" chambered gun.
Way too many choices in 2/3/4" 12 ga loads.

HS/LD: ribbing you a bit. Shot the British game gun with jeans and oxford shirt, didn't lose my Southern accent, nor did the Queen's guard come after me.

Kobun
January 10, 2003, 10:06 PM
Anyone try the mini shells in a Benelli M1?
Not that I expect the gun to cycle them, but would they feed?
And, if anyone know of a source for the Aguila ammo on this side of the Atlantic?

Destructo6
March 17, 2003, 07:38 PM
Anybody know where you can get an appropriately modified shell elevator, or get one modified, for a Mossberg 590A1?

I had the same feed problem that Andrew wyatt had, but experienced no ejection problems.

I'd like to use them for a home def application. Turning my 9-shot tube into a 13 shot tube is pretty appealing. Oh, and you can put 2 minishot shells in each sidesaddle slot.

CWL
March 17, 2003, 10:27 PM
They wont operate a semi's action. Besides, they have terrible terminal performance for SD rounds, why water-down an efficient weapon with weak ammo?

9mmMike
March 17, 2003, 10:52 PM
I bought a couple boxes of these when they first came out. I saw 'em at a show and thought "What the heck, I'm not finding anything else interesting." so I picked up a box of slugs and a box of birdshot.
They did not cycle reliably through any of my 870's. If I pumped like a lunatic I could get them to work but any slip back to a "normal" pump and the lifter was dropping before the shell had started into the chamber.
I did find a good use for them though....
I used them to teach the lovely Mrs. to shoot the SG. They are akin to a .22 with regards to recoil and it really let her concentrate on technique rather than anticipate a pounding from recoil.
We busted some clays with the birdshot but overall, I doubt if I'd buy them again.
They are a solution looking for a problem in my opinion. I thought that there was supposed to be a mini-SG designed around these things. Not sure if it ever came about though.
Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Aguilla 12 Gauge Min Shells and an 870" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!