CCW in Summer

PDA

Ohio Rifleman
October 13, 2007, 01:43 PM
Alright, I don't turn 21 till April, but there's something I've been pondering about concealed carry.

I live in Ohio, and the summers here can be pretty darn hot. When the weather's warm, I typically wear shorts and a t-shirt.

My question is this: How do you conceal a handgun in conditions like this without either printing or using a special vest or something that pretty much advertises the fact that you're carrying? I've talked with my dad about this (he does not yet have a CCW permit) he says, I guess that "you don't" when it's hot out. I don't think that's the case.

Keep in mind, in Ohio, open carry is -technically- legal, as in, there is no law against it.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW in Summer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lonestar49
October 13, 2007, 01:55 PM

As it's actually raining here in So. Calif.. lol

But, 2 things for sure IMHO. You're gonna need a good belt with them shorts and, lose, long, shirt or T-shirt that you let hang out. Use of course with "the right" holster.

Got to lose the belt-less, and tucked in shirt, look.. lol

LS

Car Knocker
October 13, 2007, 02:14 PM
Pocket carry is also an option.

Geronimo45
October 13, 2007, 02:30 PM
Funny that a thread named 'CCW in Summer' is started in the middle of October.:p

Pocket carry/thunderwear is, of course, an option. For myself, I shoulder carry and wear a hawaiian shirt over the gun; or I use a sportcoat.

As for options for your case - shorts and t-shirt: wear an undershirt - one of the v-neck models doesn't normally show. Put on your gun and belt, then put on your outer t-shirt over it all. The undershirt will add to the comfort involved, at least in reducing the annoyance of the weapon rubbing against you. Will make it warmer, though.

Haywood
October 13, 2007, 02:55 PM
I carryed all Summer. Pocket carry and IWB. My shirts are worn outside the pants or shorts. I won't buy a shirt if it is not cut to stay outside the pants. For the very rare time I can,t pocket or Iwb carry, I have used a Belly Band. The Belly Band can go from just under the armpits to below the waist however you like it.

Haywood
October 13, 2007, 02:56 PM
I carried all Summer. Pocket carry and IWB. My shirts are worn outside the pants or shorts. I won't buy a shirt if it is not cut to stay outside the pants. For the very rare time I can,t pocket or Iwb carry, I have used a Belly Band. The Belly Band can go from just under the armpits to below the waist however you like it.

orionengnr
October 13, 2007, 02:59 PM
I pocket carry all summer. And in Texas, summer is most of the year...

Brian D.
October 13, 2007, 03:42 PM
Hot weather has severely limited my ability to successfully conceal any handgun larger than a Glock Model 20 autoloader, or S&W 4" Model 29 revolver. ;)

You have to dress around the firearm to some extent. Concealment garment over a belt rig can be any untucked, square-bottomed shirt that fits a tad on the large size. Use shirts witha pattern or dark color, they hide the gun's outline better.

The Bushmaster
October 13, 2007, 03:49 PM
I live in the mid west(?). I carry a 9mm X 19 compact in a IWB at 4:00. I wear a T-shirt and wear a loose fitting shirt not tucked in and completely unbuttoned down the front...Works here. Now that it's almost winter I carry a 2 1/2" mod 19 S&W Combat Magnum in a IWB at 2:00...

Mainsail
October 13, 2007, 03:57 PM
Our laws here in WA are similar to OH. When it's hot, I carry openly.

Ohio Rifleman
October 13, 2007, 04:04 PM
Good replies, all. But what does IWB mean exactly?

Car Knocker
October 13, 2007, 04:20 PM
IWB is when the body of the holster is inside the waistband of your pants/shorts/kilt, etc. It's usually attached to either the pants or belt by clips, hooks or loops.

Ala Dan
October 13, 2007, 09:55 PM
Even tho I'm a big fan of the 1911 .45ACP's, I must admit they are kind'a
large (even the "compact" 3" models) to CCW in summertime dress. Lots
of times I carry openly, within the business; and when dressed in Carhartt
shorts and shirts, a 1911 .45ACP worn OWB looks kind'a funky~!:eek:

So, I opt to carry my KEL-TEC P3AT .380 auto in an Uncle Mikes #2 rear
pocket holster. Now, that cooler weather has sat in I will be returning to
my beloved 1911's for everyday carry~! ;):D

glk23
October 13, 2007, 10:55 PM
Pocket carry: KelTec P32
IWB: Kahr K9

Definately use a "wife beater" under your t-shirt as it is more comfortable.

FLA2760
October 13, 2007, 11:15 PM
I live in Florida and I CCW a Glock27 in an IWB holster. I wear a dark color tee shirt and it disappears. I use a Don Hume holster. Great quality and a reasonable price.

http://www.donhume.com/products/ProductsList.cfm?action=SearchByWeapon&WeaponID=55

zahc
October 13, 2007, 11:17 PM
I used to live in OH. I just carried a glock 26 IWB, shorts and Tshirt. If the gun prints or the shirt rides up, who cares, open carry is legal in Ohio. Worked for me.

obxned
October 14, 2007, 02:21 AM
P3AT with a belt clip!

ArchAngelCD
October 14, 2007, 02:40 AM
Same as Winter, a J frame in the front pocket. On very hot days with thin light clothes, a P-32 in the back pocket.

BikerRN
October 14, 2007, 03:43 AM
I live in the desert southwest and carry a 4" N-Frame Revolver all year 'round.

Yes, I wear shorts, flip flops and an untucked Polo Shirt. The trick is a good belt and holster. I prefer an Inside The Waistband Holster, but have used an Outside The Waistband Holster too. My Polo Shirt is one size too large, looks "loose and comfy" without being too big.

Select the gun and then spend the money on good concealment gear. I'm partial to Matt Del Fatti, Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen and Greg Kramer for my gear.

Biker

Mojo-jo-jo
October 14, 2007, 06:28 AM
I live in Georgia, it gets hotter and more humid than heck here. Before I gained 30+ pounds, I carried a Kahr PM9 in a Galco USA tuckable IWB holster and AFAIK was never made, even at work in a retail job. Interestingly enough, I worked in an 'old style' privately-owned hardware store with at least two other "gun people" who also carried at work. It would have been a big mistake to rob that place!

Now, I most frequently carry a KelTec P32 in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster (DeSantis is better, but the Mike's was more readily available). It's not much gun, but the IWB carry is uncomfortable with the weight gain (OTJ serious knee injury + disability + 1 year no job = get fat).

I found that nobody seems to notice a tuckable holster--neither sheeple customers in an ultra-liberal area of Atlanta where I worked, nor "gun people" that also carried (manager quasi-open carried, another guy carried in a fanny pack). Note that I did NOT discuss my carry with my co-workers, even the open-carry manager. It's a personal policy of mine. That is the real key to not being 'made.'

Occasionally, I used to carry a SIG P229 outside-waistband (Kydex Fobus paddle) with an overshirt, a button-up 'Hawaiian' or similar style shirt--but not while at work. It would sometimes flash, but nobody ever mentioned it. I really just don't like the heavy weight of the P229 or the flashing though. That said, a good quality belt would probably have done wonders for the weight.

IMHO-- it's all trade offs:
Most comfortable in general: mousegun in pocket
Mid comfort: OWB full-size with overshirt
Least comfort (for fat guy like me anyway): IWB compact

YMMV

The Bushmaster
October 14, 2007, 10:54 AM
BikerRN...Kramer of Tacoma, WA...Good products...That's all I use...

possum
October 14, 2007, 11:13 AM
rifleman,
this is what i do, i have lived in kansas, and georgia since i have been ccw and i know all about the hot weather aspect of carrying.

he says, I guess that "you don't" when it's hot out.

the weather shouldn't dictate when you carry just what you carry and how, a gunfight isn't gonna happen on a perfect day and 75 degree temps all the time, a situation can develope at anytime at anyplace and under any conditions.

in the summer i carry my xd sc .40 IWB(inside the waistband) in a kydex holster.

or i carry my kahr k-40 in a don hume leather paddel open top. both of the above work perfectly fine with shorts and a t shirt.

jefnvk
October 14, 2007, 11:52 AM
I carried a PPK through the hottest part of the summer, with nothing more than a T-shirt/muscel shirt and cargo shorts. IWB hides well enough for a light shirt, and cargo pockets if you want to go shirtless.

magnolia
October 14, 2007, 11:58 AM
I carry a Bersa 380 in my shorts back pocket that has a flap and it works perfect

TexasRifleman
October 14, 2007, 12:31 PM
I go smaller in the summer, KeltecP3AT or Bersa 380.

I love winter and the heavy coats, out comes the 1911 :)

Rexster
October 14, 2007, 04:03 PM
Take a look at the Safepacker from Thewilderness.com. It meets the open carry law of at least one state, but also totally conceals the weapon, which keeps Texas law happy. I will carry a 4" sixgun in the hottest weather inside the Safepacker, and another smaller weapon concealed on my person. I usually use belt-carry mode with my Commander-sized Safepacker, and shoulder strap mode with the sixgun size.

Wilson 17&26
October 14, 2007, 04:35 PM
K&D Holsters makes some nice holsters for Kel-Tec pocket carry.

http://www.kdholsters.com/images/pd_new_black2.jpg http://www.kdholsters.com/images/convertible1.jpg http://www.kdholsters.com/images/pdp.jpg

TOADMAN
October 14, 2007, 07:53 PM
Relaxed fitting shorts, belt holster OWB, Glock 26/30 or J-frame. Button down square bottom short sleeve shirt ( specifically designed to wear un-tucked). Bottom button not buttoned. Flops for shoes... I find that light colored t-shirts print too much...

FLA2760
October 14, 2007, 08:02 PM
In response to Rexster's reference the "Wilderness Safepacker"; it is a very good quality rig. Currently I use it at night with the flap between the mattress & boxspring. It allows my G22 to be out of sight but quickly accessible.

Raspu10
October 14, 2007, 08:57 PM
look into IWB holsters and get a sub compact or something that size.

TexasRifleman
October 14, 2007, 09:15 PM
K&D Holsters makes some nice holsters for Kel-Tec pocket carry.

I tried the Nemesis. I like the looks of those you posted but the pocket holsters always seem to come out of my pocket still attached to the gun :)

You have that problem with these?

Prince Yamato
October 14, 2007, 09:23 PM
How you carry depends largely on your build. Here are some general rules though

1) You need a small gun. Nothing larger than a Smith & Wesson J-frame (or Taurus 605) or a Glock 26 or like semi-auto for iwb carry. If you're going to pocket carry, you need to look into a Kel-Tec or an NAA mini-revolver. No, a Glock 26 isn't a pocket carry unless you want your pockets to buldge like you're carrying a gun in there, or unless you wear clown pants.

2) You don't have to dress like a bubba to carry. Yes, dress around your gun, but there are some things to consider. First, get a good belt. That is an absolute must. Remember that summer doesn't always mean shorts. Linen is particularly useful in the summer. So you could get linen pants and still be relatively cool in the summer (I wear them in Texas, so I know what real heat is). Baggy t-shirts aren't really in style anymore. Wear a polo shirt or a Hawaiian shirt instead.

Also, do NOT buy pants that are 2 sizes too large as per some other's advice. I always see this on gun boards. You'll look like you just escaped from a mental ward if you're wearing pants that are hanging off your ass and bunching around your ankles. Your pants should be fit and break slightly at your shoe. If they don't do this, you're not wearing them correctly. If you really need more room, get pants in your normal size, but "relaxed fit".

3) If you have a semblance of a derrière, forget carrying behind the back; the gun tucked in the rear of a person with a rear... well it makes it look like you took a blocky crap in your boxers. So if you have a butt, plan on carrying somewhere between 3 and 9 o'clock.

Other cardinal rules:

*No fanny packs- they haven't been in style in 20-some years and are only worn by old men and tourists

*No "tactical vests" because the only people who wear those are fishermen and people who ccw

*You must be able to stand up, sit down, and go to the bathroom while carrying. If you can't do this, rethink your set-up.

Wilson 17&26
October 15, 2007, 01:08 AM
You have that problem with these?

This is the recommended draw technique for K&D pocket holsters.

http://www.kdholsters.com/images/draw.jpg

smee781
October 15, 2007, 06:05 PM
Pocket carry j frame's. S&W 940:D 9mm

Mad Magyar
October 15, 2007, 06:25 PM
I carried a PPK through the hottest part of the summer, with nothing more than a T-shirt/muscel shirt and cargo shorts

Same here, PPK & in the pocket of my Levi cut-offs...:)
Cooler weather means more variety.....

Ohio Rifleman
October 15, 2007, 06:41 PM
Seems like a lot depends on your body type and good holsters, belts and the like. I also find it interesting that dark-colored clothes don't "print" as badly as lighter colors.

While I haven't hit 21 yet, I'm already putting thought into this. I was thinking a 4" 357 revolver. Too big?

Dave in PA
October 15, 2007, 06:50 PM
I pocket carry or use a high ride pancake with my shirt untucked. I would try an IWB, but there's not enough room. ;-)

Myrdhyn
October 16, 2007, 12:36 AM
My solution:

-Comfortable cargo shorts
-Sturdy belt (I pretty much only buy the "dickies" construction grade belts...cheap, look good, and last a long time for the 10-15 you spend on them)
-Comfortable shirt that goes below your waistline (2-3inches below your belt-line ideally)
-Crossbreed IWB holster for your favorite flavor of protection.

ZombiesAhead
October 16, 2007, 06:27 AM
Living in OH in the summer, I just use an IWB holster (Uncle Mike's nylon or MTAC). I generally just wear a t-shirt on top and if it prints, well; open carry is legal in OH.

Neophyte1
October 16, 2007, 06:34 AM
wont work in a speedo:)

pinhead56
October 16, 2007, 10:42 PM
Check out the "Smart Carry".
http://www.smartcarry.com/
The web site shows how it works for the inventor with a full size 1911 and a pair of jeans. You could carry on the beach in a swimsuit with this thing... though stay out of the water! I have one for a ppk/s or mid-sized auto. The inventor lives in FL and knows all about ccw in hot weather.

wuchak
October 17, 2007, 10:01 PM
I tried the Nemesis. I like the looks of those you posted but the pocket holsters always seem to come out of my pocket still attached to the gun

I use a Nemesis with both my P-3AT and my SP101. The trick with the Nemesis is that the flap that extends below the grip is made to catch on the edge of your pocket as you draw. If you draw up until the grip clears the pocket and then back as though you were going to shoot from the hip, the holster should stay in the pocket.

The best thing I have found for summer is the P-3AT in a SmartCarry. You can conceal it and wear it comfortably all day in a pair of regular shorts and no shirt.

Second choice is the P-3AT in the Nemesis. This has the advantage of being able to put your hand on the grip to be ready to draw if needed.

Third choice is the SP101 in an IWB holster. If I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt or an oversize t-shirt the SP101 goes with me.

Fourth choice is the SP101 in the Nemesis. In the loose fitting shorts that I normally wear its heavy enough that its banging against my leg is annoying.

I'll be getting a SmartCarry sized for the SP101 before next summer rolls around.

-Wuchak

.455_Hunter
October 19, 2007, 02:05 AM
My usual summer attire is a slim fit sk8ter t-shirt, AE cargo shorts and flip-flops. I use a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster ($10 @ Sportsman's Warehouse). Depending on the threat profile, I carry either my NAA .22 Mag Mini-Rev (1 5/8"), S&W Model 60 (.38 only), CZ-50 (.32 acp), Bulgarian Makarov (9x18) or SA Micro GI (.45 acp). The Mak and Micro GI are a little heavy, but still conceal well, especially with a bandana folded over the top of the gun (looks like a handkerchief). I hope to add a NAA Guardian .32 ACP to the group in the near future.
Here in Colorado, "lumbar packs" are not out of place, especially if you dress the part of an outdoors type person. I have a Mountainsmith model from REI that I can carry anything short of my 7.5" Vaquero effectively.

Mikeo
October 19, 2007, 06:36 AM
It is either pocket carry or IWB appendix carry, for me, with my Taurus 605. An undershirt is helpful to keep from chafing with the IWB carry, and a T-shirt conceals the handgun very well. Many shirts toady are made of a slick feeling material that will keep from riding up on the gun. I usually choose a relatively dark color, but as long as the material is opaque, there is not a problem.

sinistr
October 19, 2007, 10:57 AM
+1 on the smart carry, i live in fla, in the summer i prefer to wear jeans and a t shirt.with the smart carry there is really no printing.it is also really comfortable even when sitting in a vehicle.the belly band would be my second choice.with both you can also wear sweats,and are effective when biking or jogging. like with any holster,practice,practice,practice.

ATAShooter
October 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
I use 2 :

Summer - S&W 637 Airweight J frame

Winter - Colt 1911

Whirlwind06
October 19, 2007, 11:21 AM
If you have a semblance of a derrière, forget carrying behind the back; the gun tucked in the rear of a person with a rear... well it makes it look like you took a blocky crap in your boxers. So if you have a butt, plan on carrying somewhere between 3 and 9 o'clock.

Thanks!! I didn't need to drink that coffee anyways! :)

I pretty much carried my KT P11 this summer. Last summer (06) I carried a 1911 full size and a Ruger P89 (not at the same time). So you can carry anything if you are willing dress for it. Plus Ohio doesn't have a no-printing law. And you know what? People don't really look to closely. A bulge under your cover garment will be assumed to be a Cell phone.

Papaster
October 19, 2007, 01:45 PM
Down here south of the border, in the Republic of Texas, Things get pretty hot and sticky. To a degree you learn to wear more clothes and sweat a little. But I carry with a loose, un-tucked shirt (I avoid the more obvious hawaiian shirts and go for something I could wear to work) with an IWB holster about 5-5:30. Not nearly so comfortable as my cooler season holsters, like my pancake holster, but the concealment is great. Oh, and I always wear an undershirt between my body and the gun/holster. That thing rubbing on you all day will wear straight through to your bones.

standerson
October 22, 2007, 04:41 AM
I also live in Ohio. I am 6' and 190 pounds. I carry a 226 (.40/no rail) year around. It's very concealable.

In the summer time, I wear a wife beater underneath my T shirt, and a VMII. Winter time, I switch to a OWB, 3 slot holster.

I wear suits so when I got buy one, I always carry my handgun. That way they can fit the suit around it.

chrlefxtrt
October 22, 2007, 11:28 PM
Ever considered a derringer? I have a Cobra in .38spl, that I picked up at the gun show new for 80 bucks. I take that thing every where, even when I am carrying something else.

Pancho
October 23, 2007, 02:54 PM
I'm also an Ohio resident and in Ohio and probably a lot of other states. You can carry a firearm but there is a lot of places you can't carry it to like a tavern or any store that posts,'No Firearms'. It has always been legal in Ohio to carry open but the police can get you for insighting a riot if someone take offense at you showing your firearm and that's not too far fetched considering the soccer moms out there.
My answer is to carry a five shot 22 Mag stainless steel NAA revolver. Safe cheap and small enough to carry in the front pocket of any pants or shorts and no one needs to know that you're carrying if you are in a non-carrying place. Then if you do need it, the old adage applies, I'd sooner be judged by twelve than carried by six.

CoRoMo
October 23, 2007, 05:59 PM
For a waist/belt holster whether it is small of back, inside waist band, or whatever, you'll have to have loose pants/shorts that the holster can set inside, and the shirt can't be tucked in, it will have to cover the portion of the holster that protrudes out the top of the belt line.

That is the part of carry that I don't like :uhoh: because I work in blue jeans daily, and tuck my shirt in as well. That leaves me with pocket or ankle, and a small weapon for either.

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 23, 2007, 06:07 PM
Well I live in Michigan, and we have about the same weather as Ohio. In the summer, I just wear khaki shorts and some sort of shirt, with a undershirt. I carry a Taurus Millennium Pro in a Bianchi "The Professional" IWB holster at 3:30-4:00 o'clock. It's practically invisible.

chipperi
October 23, 2007, 10:32 PM
Tall and fat has its advantages...I wear an unbuttoned button down shirt untucked Hawaiian is good for the summertime :) and carry at about 4 o clock. You can go OWB or IWB this way.

Elm Creek Smith
October 25, 2007, 12:07 AM
Okay, I'm the photographer's vest guy. It's a khaki one from L.L. Bean and actually has one pocket designed to carry a telephoto lens along with lots of other pockets, including a huge open-topped one on each side behind a zippered pocket nearly as big. When I wear that over a pocket-t, I can carry my 3" M13 Smith and my Taurus 85SSUL with the KelTec P32 in my back pants pocket. The big pockets hold scads of speedloaders! My former next door neighbor, a DEA agent, said I looked like a FEEB (his pet name for FBI agents), because they favor them when not wearing their suits or tac gear.

Since my wife really gets tired of the vest, I usually end up wearing one of my plethora of Hawaiian shirts (yeah, she hates them, too) with the Taurus 85SSUL IWB. And, yes, the P32 is in the back pants pocket.

ECS

goon
October 25, 2007, 12:43 AM
A good belt and a good holster.
I also usually wear dark T-shirts. They are a little warmer but they seem to cover the occasional butt of a handgun grip pressed against them better than a thin white T shirt would.

Ohio Rifleman
October 25, 2007, 05:47 PM
Tall and fat has its advantages

That pretty much describes my overall build. I plan on carrying a revolver for CCW (6 for sure!!) when I'm of age. I know that wheelguns are a bit more challenging to conceal than semi-autos. I was thinking about a Ruger GP-100 as I handled a 6" one once and liked the heft and feel of it. I would, of course, carry a smaller version. Looks like IWB with a good holster and such would be the way to go.

gp911
October 26, 2007, 02:38 PM
This summer I carried my Glock 21SF in a Comp-Tac CTAC holster (IWB) with an undershirt to keep the Kydex off my skin. If you're going to carry IWB, consider a short barrel length as that barrel will be poking your leg when you sit. A shorter barrel is easier to work around. There are days when I spend up to 6+ hours behind the wheel, and having to shove and tug on my holster at random intervals gets annoying and makes me wish I'd bought a Glock 30 instead. As for wheelguns, GP100s are awesome guns, but even a 4" barrel model will be difficult to conceal in the summertime.

My experience for clothing that works well for CCW is that khaki shorts/pants, an undershirt, and a polo make for a look that fits in most places and doesn't scream "gun!" plus allows for comofrt and mobility.

+1 on getting a good heavy belt. I need to get one, as my el cheapo belts are already wearing out from having the .45 hanging on them and the clips drug over them as I take the holster on and off.

When you try on pants/shorts for CCW just make sure you can stuff your hand and wrist in there without really stretching them, as the clips on most Dockers and such can pop off under the stress...

GP911

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW in Summer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!