Is this normal? Or am I out of control?

PDA

Bear2000
October 15, 2007, 10:00 PM
About five months ago I decided to learn how to shoot a handgun. I went to an indoor range nearby in Greensboro, NC, where the friendly owner taught me how to shoot a Ruger Mark II. When the woman in the lane next to me found out I was a first-timer, she invited me to shoot her Glock 17. Very cool. The last time I had shot a gun was in high school - about 18 years ago.

That was in early June. I wanted to shoot again, but didn't get the chance until late August, when I had to go to Arkansas on business. While there, I met up with a former student of mine (I used to teach there) for beers. The conversation turned to guns. It turns out he's a huge enthusiast. The next day we went out to his range and shot an M1 Garand and M1 carbine, .45 Auto, 9mm, and .40 S&W. I was hooked.

When I got back to NC, I had too much work to do to think about shooting again, but by mid-September I was itching to get back to the range. So, after some research and advice from my friend in Arkansas, I purchased a 10/22 (a Walmart SS special with a 21" barrel). I contacted a fellow THR member (RantingRedNeck), who various searched revealed was a member of a nearby gun club that I wanted to join. He hooked me up with the president and a few days later I was a member. We then met at the range, where he installed my scope for me. I was off. Unfortunately, he also let me shoot his Riger P89 and P6 carbine. A 10/22 wasn't going to cut it.

So, I borrowed another friend's Walther P38 to shoot while I waited for my handgun permits to be processed. I also invested in a Savage 12FV in .223, because another member of the club showed me how fun it is to put holes in paper at 100 yards. I then started spending too much time on THR researching handguns. The result: a new CZ75B with a red dot sight. But I still had fond memories of my first trip to the indoor range with the Ruger Mark II. My new Ruger Mark III Hunter should be here by Friday. Oh, and did I mention that I a Lee Classic Turret reloading kit arrived today? I expect to have my first rounds of .223 ready by Saturday.

All told, the guns, ammunition, permits, accessories, memberships, and my CCW course (why not, I thought?) have run me close to $2700 - in six weeks! I had no idea, really - I was just blissfully spending my money on a number of credit cards and in cash. Tonight I decided to add it all up and nearly fainted.

Please tell me this is normal for a newbie who's just thrown himself fully into this hobby! Like my other hobby, cycling, the set up expenses are just kind of high, right? It gets less expensive from here on in, right? That's a good justification, isn't it? And, if you have any advice on how I break this to my wife (we're not rich by any means!), please do share! Afterall, I attribute this in part to you awful people here who keep making me want more toys!

Okay, I've got to go. There's a shotgun on GunBroker that I've been eyeing and the auction is ending soon. What, you didn't think I was going to let those guys at the club have all the fun shooting skeet, did you? :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this normal? Or am I out of control?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
springmom
October 15, 2007, 10:07 PM
Well, you may have gone a bit overboard a bit quickly, yes.

It doesn't sound like you have taken the time to enjoy the things you have before you run out and buy more. For a person who is setting out to collect firearms for the sake of collecting, buying without shooting is standard, as new in box firearms are worth more years down the road than those that are worn. But you're apparently intending to shoot, so that's not the point.

If you can afford what you've spent, you're not spending money you don't have (do NOT go into debt to do this hobby; just don't), you can meet your obligations without shorting other people in your family who also need/want things, then ok. But you're missing the fun of the thing if all you're doing is looking to SPEND without spending time to DO.

Springmom

SoCalShooter
October 15, 2007, 10:09 PM
I have bought 19 guns this year spent well over 4000 bucks on just guns. Ammo into the untold thousands. :) Your almost normal!! Getting into any sport or hobby is initially expensive. not to mention accessories

Mossberg 500a
Ithaca 37a
Benelli Nova
-------------------------
Mosin Nagant
2-SKS
2-M1s
1 M1 Carbine
2 Ar 15 lowers
4 misc jap rifles
---------------------------
1 Glock 20
1. Sigma 40f
1 Walther p38
1 Colt National Match
1 Sistema Argentine Colt
1 S&W 442

ok so its more like 20 but I keep losing the damn count.
Plan on purchasing another mosin from a friend next month and a k31swiss and a mauser hopefully all by the end of the year.

Arsyx
October 15, 2007, 10:10 PM
Firearms are great fun to shoot, the unique ones are even more fun to shoot. However, like all toys the awe will eventually wear off. You will then find yourself turning to the certain batch of guns that gives you the best shooting results. I say limit yourself to one gun per purpose. Rather than having useless things like relic guns you'll fire maybe once and end up selling. I'd say get...

Plinking Rifle
Plinking Handgun
An all purpose shotgun
Assault Rifle
HD/Carry handgun

Jorg Nysgerrig
October 15, 2007, 10:11 PM
If your new hobby is buying stuff, you seem pretty successful.

Bear2000
October 15, 2007, 10:15 PM
Well, I haven't gone into debt - we're DINKS (Dual Income, No Kids) so no one's getting shortchanged. But I do feel that I've gone overboard a bit.

That said, I am enjoying my new toys. I think I'm done for now, though. My goal:

1) Plinking Rifle (10/22)
2) Plinking Pistol (Ruger Hunter)
3) Target Rifle (Savage 12FV .223)
4) HD/Range (CZ75)

The gun club cost $100, my basic NRA handgun safety course/CCW $75, ammo and accessories $500 or so altogether. Hence the reloading setup. But you're right - I probably could have done without either the CZ or the Ruger Hunter. Oh well - guess I'm stuck.

Arsyx
October 15, 2007, 10:16 PM
I'll go further in depth to help you out a little. I myself tend to go WAY overboard with hobbies until I find myself burned out before I ever actually enjoy the hobby. When I was really young it was a good old table top game called Warhammer 40,000 you assembled the figurines and painted them, then played others, I bought so many of those damn things and got so overwhelmed with having a picture perfect army that I lost interest. When I got into paintball I was so into the sport I rapidly progressed all the way from playing in the woods with friends to tournament paintball, trying out for armature travel teams (after spending 750 dollars on just upgrades to my marker) I lost interest in that to because of it. Just slow down, you'll enjoy it MUCH more this way.

MachIVshooter
October 15, 2007, 10:17 PM
It gets less expensive from here on in, right?

Ummm, actually it usually goes the other way.......

Many of us here have spent more than your sum on a single gun or even a scope. Title II stuff can easily cost more than a new car.

But welcome to the addiction!

ZeSpectre
October 15, 2007, 10:18 PM
Weird double post deleted!

MachIVshooter
October 15, 2007, 10:18 PM
It gets less expensive from here on in, right?

Ummm, actually it usually goes the other way.......

Many of us here have spent more than your sum on a single gun or even a scope. Title II stuff can easily cost more than a new car.

But welcome to the addiction!;)

Bilt4Comfort
October 15, 2007, 10:21 PM
It's not only normal for newbies...well...you'll see.
My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my stuff for what she thinks I paid for it :eek:.

ZeSpectre
October 15, 2007, 10:21 PM
Sounds like you've jumped in with both feet. It's fine as long as you aren't causing any fiscal issues (I've walked close to that line myself a time or two).

Arsyx says...
Plinking Rifle
Plinking Handgun
An all purpose shotgun
Assault Rifle
HD/Carry handgun

I'd also say have a 2'nd HD/Carry gun because if (God Forbid!) you ever have to use one, it'll go away for a long time.

Arsyx
October 15, 2007, 10:23 PM
Very true, get a CHEAP BUG

October 15, 2007, 10:23 PM
Stay away from shotguns, it's a whole 'nother set of stuff to buy and they can get stupid expensive.

You're fine, just lay off buying guns for a while and learn to shoot what you have. Reloading can turn into a whole hobby in itself, it's addictive.

SoCalShooter
October 15, 2007, 10:24 PM
OH yeah I forgot about the reloading stuff...got plenty of that and I have not even bought a reloader yet. Don't forget to get plenty of lockable cabinets for your stuff as you can tell its expensive and not easy to replace all of it.

Bilt4Comfort
October 15, 2007, 10:26 PM
....and no, you can't do without the CZ.

Bear2000
October 15, 2007, 10:27 PM
Hey all,

Thanks for the advice and consolation. As I said above, I do think I'm done for now. I have an assortment of things to shoot and the equipment to get my ammunition costs down.

The funny thing is that my wife is a very avid road cyclist and rides very high end equipment. Her pedals cost twice what a Walmart bike costs. When I brought home a new $2700 Cannondale racing bike last year, she was thrilled that my equipment finally matched hers. We were off to the bike store to buy accessories. But her other hobby is knitting - not too expensive. My other hobby is now, well, not too cheap!

I see some flowers in her near future and I think that front door she wants painted will get done this weekend...

Crunker1337
October 15, 2007, 10:32 PM
When I turn 18, I won't really be able to indulge in shooting much at all (parents, laws, money).

I do plan on purchasing a 10/22 and a cool stock for it though. As I live in a pretty safe area, I shall stick with a long blade and pepperspray for home defense.

Maybe when I'm 19 or 20 I'll buy a center-fire rifle in order to get more familiarized with the sport, then when I'm 21 I'll buy a nice pistol and look into CCW training.

It's all about knowing what you can put into shooting, and what you want out of it.

RKBABob
October 15, 2007, 10:32 PM
the set up expenses are just kind of high, right? It gets less expensive from here on in, right?Yes... Once you have collected every type of firearm, and every in caliber, all thats left to spend money on is ammo, reloading supplies, range membership fees, tournament fees, scopes, lasers, and gunsmithing tools!:neener:

any advice on how I break this to my wife Break it to your wife? Or break up with your wife?:neener:

Seriously, the items you just purchased aren't perishable. They'll last you for decades. Explain that you might have gone overboard buying new things for your new hobby... but that they're once in a lifetime investments and that you won't need to purchase more firearms of that paricular type anytime soon.

Bring home a target to show how much your shooting is improving. Mention how much yoou enjoy the camaraderie of the fellas at the range. Maybe take her and the MarkIII t the range?

Arsyx
October 15, 2007, 10:35 PM
Crunker, not to be totally off topic, but as my father said you're only as good with your blade as your enemy. If weapons are expensive for you than buy a cheap Mossberg shotgun at Wal-Mart for 150 dollars. Load it with some good .00 Buckshot and keep it in the closet. It's not like you have to put 100 rounds through your weapon to own it.

glockman19
October 15, 2007, 10:36 PM
YES all to normal.
Once you have collected every type of firearm, and every in caliber, all thats left to spend money on is ammo, reloading supplies, range membership fees, tournament fees, scopes, lasers, and gunsmithing tools!
All to true

Bear2000
October 15, 2007, 10:36 PM
I did tell her that the guns have a relatively high resale value. I got my new CZ for $300 otd - I'd easily get that back! I also told her that if I did die, she should not just "get rid" of everything. She should log on to THR and get some advice!

Arsyx
October 15, 2007, 10:37 PM
300 dollars for a CZ, good deal man. With that kind of price she can't complain haha.

pinstripe
October 15, 2007, 10:38 PM
It is futile to resist. Once bitten, it is like a vampire's curse. You are hooked. Welcome to my Hell!!!
Have fun and shoot when you can.

The Annoyed Man
October 15, 2007, 10:44 PM
Phew!! I thought I had it bad. Ever since moving to Texas from California, I've been making up for lost time. I came here with a small collection, but I've spent more on guns or gun related products in the past 6 months than I have in the past 17 years.

Major items purchased this year:
Remington 700 VSF .308
Leupold 4.5-14x50 mm VX-III
Savage 10FP-HS Precision .308
Bushnell Elite 4200 6.5-24x40 mm
Sig 1911 GSR Revolution Carry Stainless (CPO)
HK USP Compact .40 S&W
Leica CRF 1200 Rangefinder

That's a lot of simoleons so far. Holy smokes. I never really added it up before. I can afford it at this point in my life, and I've pretty much purchased everything I'd been putting off for a very long time. Other than one more item, I'm done. That missing item will be some kind of AR15 clone. But I prolly won't pick that up until after Christmas. Then I'm done.

I promise. For now.

Oh, and I easily spent $200-300 spent on ammo...

The thing that's wrong about all this is that the value of my gun collection now exceeds the value of my guitar collection. There will be an imbalance in the Force unless I rectify it...

BCC
October 15, 2007, 10:45 PM
I am somewhat similarily afflicted n00b. I say, since you aren't spending the kids college fund or going into debt....enjoy! I am.

phaed
October 15, 2007, 10:46 PM
i've been through a similar phase. but, i can't attest to my own "normality". i bought 8 or 9 guns over a 2 month time period, ranging from 250 to 1300 each.

p.s. too bad they all sunk in that weird boating accident.

damyankee
October 15, 2007, 10:55 PM
I consider myself just above a "novice" at shooting (5 years now). I spent $2000+ in 15 days about 3 months ago just on firearms. Like the above comment, if you got the cash and want it, spend it, have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

ZeSpectre
October 15, 2007, 10:58 PM
On the other hand... I'm about to buy my yearly bulk ammo supply, or at least part of it.

Um, can you say YIKES!

Jorg Nysgerrig
October 15, 2007, 11:03 PM
If weapons are expensive for you than buy a cheap Mossberg shotgun at Wal-Mart for 150 dollars. Load it with some good .00 Buckshot and keep it in the closet. It's not like you have to put 100 rounds through your weapon to own it.

Not to own it, but it might be a good idea before relying on it. I can only assume I'm misunderstand your post as you seem to be advocating keeping a shotgun without having shot it. While 100 rounds of buckshot may be a bit expensive for some, there's no reason not to put some ammo through it to get the hang of the thing.

obxned
October 15, 2007, 11:08 PM
No, it is NOT normal. You, sir, are a semi-cheapskate! But look at the up side - it's cheaper and safer than fast women or fast cars!

Bear2000
October 15, 2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks, Obxned, that does make me feel better!

Regolith
October 15, 2007, 11:22 PM
I'd say you've barely got your toes in the water, considering this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=308622

Look at how many have spent more than $100K :what:

cpttango30
October 15, 2007, 11:30 PM
You went at it a little fast. But I grew up and had a nice collection before I graduated High School. Though the numbers have dwindled do to theift and money shortages while being young and stupid in the military.

I was given a lot over time by my father. a gun here and there a reloading kit and a trickle down afect of guns he bought and did not like that well. HEHE That is how I ended up with a sweet S&W M17 K22 w8 3/8" barrel and target trigger and hammer. I could hit squirrels on the run at 25 yards all day with that pistol. If I ever find one it will come home with me as that one was stolen GRRRRRRRR. If you have the money and do not skip bills to buy gun stuff your good. It will slow down and you will stay stable for a while untill another bug hits you.

Arsyx
October 15, 2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah, that's not what I meant. What I meant was familiarize yourself with the gun. Learn to maintain it. Put a few boxes through it, and store it. IF you're that short on cash. If an armed intruder was in my home whether or not I was an expert marksman with my shotgun would be my last worry. I just meant he didn't have to pump hundreds of rounds through it on a monthly basis to own it.

TargetTerror
October 15, 2007, 11:34 PM
Never enough!

XD Fan
October 16, 2007, 12:15 AM
Bear2000,

This is madness. You are going way too fast. What were you thinking? Now the only solution is to get rid of all but one until you are truly competent with that one, then buy another.

In the spirit of the family nature of a THR membership, I will volunteer to sacrifice my plan of slowly obtained proficiency and allow you to donate all those others superfluous weapons to me. PM me when you realize the truth of what I am suggesting.

Hey, just shoot'em all a lot! Your doing fine.

finnerandr
October 16, 2007, 12:20 AM
You are perfectly normal, its only halfway through the month and so far Ive bought 3 guns. A CZ75b, a Bulgarian Makarov, and a FN 1922 Waffen marked pistol. All told right around $900 so far with transfer fees and shipping for two of them(one was purchased locally).

SoCalShooter
October 16, 2007, 12:23 AM
I agree with XD fan I am more than willing to donate safe space to your cause I have a great safe and I just added two more gun cabinets.

milo z
October 16, 2007, 12:30 AM
Nothing obscene about your purchases - you've got different guns for different desires.

As long as you don't wind up envying something else ('this 10/22 is nice, but I wish I had that Thompson/Center R-55...'), your big purchases should be over with.

Grandpa Shooter
October 16, 2007, 12:32 AM
Just my two cents worth. So far I would have to say that the majority of these guys are pikers. Guns are like clothes hangers--there is just no place to store 4 guns where they don't look lonely or out of place. They don't fill the safe or closet. If you put them in back of the clothes they'll just wrinkle your wife's bike shorts and then she'll be pissed. The only reasonable solution is to go out and buy the biggest gun safe you can get (bad guys don't like big really heavy ones) and add a whole bunch of weight to it so it's even harder to move.

Let's say about 5,000 rounds of loaded ammo for each of the guns you just bought, electronic noise reduction ear muffs, all the cleaning supplies you can get, multi purpose slings, holsters, shooting rest, spotting scope, pads of targets, different stocks and grips for each, -------You get the picture yet?

That's just the first week. Now for week two------

Enjoy yourself. It is one of the most satisfying hobbies you'll ever have and probably the most healthy. Wait til you get the adrenalin rush of your first really tight group. Beats any other high on earth. Well except maybe doing the Australian down a cliff face. But nope, that's another topic.

orionengnr
October 16, 2007, 12:38 AM
The thing that's wrong about all this is that the value of my gun collection now exceeds the value of my guitar collection.

One year from now, adding to your guitar collection will not be illegal. I pretty much guarantee it.

Think about that for a while. Please.

Thernlund
October 16, 2007, 01:34 AM
I told a friend of mine that except for some isolated cases, guns really don't appreciate much. But they hold their value like nothing else. Also, consider that a gun will still be valuable even if cold hard currency isn't.

More on topic, I've easily dropped $15k in 2007 alone. Two months ago I burned $2k in a mere 30 seconds on ammo.

I'd say you're all good. But mind your debt load. Your comment about being shocked once you added it up is telling, and should be a warning. Gun collecting can put you in debt faster than taking up crack smoking. Make sure you have the coin to spend. I personally have a seperate checking account that I put cash in on paydays, bonus time, and any other time I have extra money. That is what is known in this house as "The Gun Money". Nobody questions the gun money. Period. ;)

-T.

MisterPX
October 16, 2007, 04:35 AM
I've blown that much in 5 minutes a couple times on M11's.;)

Waitt till you get hte NFA bug.:)

BlackBearME
October 16, 2007, 06:15 AM
Nah, perfectly normal.

Of course, the only thing that would classify you as "out of control" is if you bought them and never shot them.

Really, though, look at the "most dubious excuse" thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=303892

You're on the straight and narrow, believe me.

The Annoyed Man
October 16, 2007, 08:37 AM
One year from now, adding to your guitar collection will not be illegal. I pretty much guarantee it.

Think about that for a while. Please.I think about it all the time, and I vote and give so that my RKBA will be preserved for as long as possible. But unless you've been playing guitar for 44 years like I have, you might not fully appreciate the love affair a musician can have with his instruments.

...and the Force is intolerant of imbalance. :D

The Annoyed Man
October 16, 2007, 08:53 AM
I told a friend of mine that except for some isolated cases, guns really don't appreciate much. But they hold their value like nothing else. Also, consider that a gun will still be valuable even if cold hard currency isn't.There are, of course, exceptions. I was shocked to learn recently that two pistols I bought back in the '90s are now worth a good deal more than what I paid for them. One is a S&W Model 29 Classic which I bought new for $459.00 for back in 1996. I see used examples selling online for over $750.00. The other is a Colt Government .380 I bought used (in like new condition) in 1993 for $310.00. It is a 1986 vintage 150th Anniversary Edition model. I see them going for between $700.00-$800.00 online. Even if you factor in inflation over the past 10-15 years, that's not bad appreciation.

I have no intention of selling either, but I would not have considered either pistol to be an "investment" at the time I bought them. You're right that many will hold their value, but many will also appreciate considerably.

RoadkingLarry
October 16, 2007, 10:45 AM
Just barely scratching the surface!!!
Now look at Single action revolvers ala Colt and Ruger. then, to compliment that look at lever action rifles. Next think about large bore single shot rifles shooting blackpowder cartridges. Big bore scoped revolvers. single shot hand cannons - (T/C contender) muzzleloaders..... You got a long road ahead of you ....

Hardtarget
October 16, 2007, 10:50 AM
STOP! Step away from the gun case...thak a deep breath. Now, savor what you have for a short time.

Now call a buddy and arrange time for you, wife, buddy and his wife to GO SHOOT. Thats the fun part. Shooting with friends, comparing, ( your own targets to check for improvement), nurturing the comradship of the shooting sports. Have fun.

Mark.

Legionnaire
October 16, 2007, 11:44 AM
If you have the money (caution on carrying credit card debt), no problem. If you turned around and liquidated your inventory, you'd lose money, but you would be able to recoup a large portion of it. As a long time hobbyist now, I tend to look for good used guns, because they can be flipped pretty much for what I paid for them.

At some point, you'll likely reach saturation. There are some here who seem to operate as if "having" is the thing. Good for them, if they can afford it without putting other obligations in jeopardy. For me and a host of others, though, "shooting" is the thing. I've made a number of impulse buys of guns that I subsequently didn't shoot much. They got flipped for something I would shoot. At this point, I have more hardware than I need. So my rule of thumb is pretty much sell something to buy something.

So I'd say your experience is pretty normal for an upwardly mobile individual with funds to spend. So now take your time shooting and learn what you really like. Don't lose that 10/22, though. If you are at all like me, eventually you will return to shooting .22s (they are cheap and fun, keep you in form, and are great for practice). You'll find that the 10/22 is a tinkerer's dream. I think the only things original about my 10/22 are the receiver and the bolt. Just about everything else has been swapped out. But when you discover a gun in your collection that hasn't been shot for a couple of years, don't feel any hesitation about selling it fund something else, even if the "something else" is just more ammo for the guns you do shoot regularly.

Hokkmike
October 16, 2007, 11:56 AM
I feel like sometimes I have spent too much on guns, especially when they warm the gun racks too often. But - it is a GREAT hobby!

Dravur
October 16, 2007, 11:57 AM
not out of control. That is just Tuesday....

JohnL2
October 16, 2007, 12:07 PM
I say keep going until you reach Yosemite Sam level of enthusiasm.

Landor
October 16, 2007, 12:18 PM
You seems to be pushing it pretty hard. I know my preferences in a gun when I first started shooting and carrying is completely different now. You need time to learn, research and experience what is right for you. You might want a gun with a external safety and you might not. You might not be as good with a 3" barrel compared to a 4". There are many variables you have not thought about yet..

tnieto2004
October 16, 2007, 12:52 PM
I am right there with you .. I have guns and ammo I will be paying for for the next year or two (0% interest of course!).. If it makes you happy then go for it!

Phil DeGraves
October 16, 2007, 01:03 PM
That's normal. When I got divorced and financially caught up, I bought 44 guns in a 52 week period. I keep thinking "I have too many guns. I should sell some." But what would I spend the money on? More guns! So now I just keep what I have and add another every once in awhile.

El Barto
October 16, 2007, 01:09 PM
Now all you have to do is get your C&R license. You would not believe how easy it is to place an order over the phone. Go ahead, try it....(offers a cup of grape Kool Aid) :evil:

crebralfix
October 16, 2007, 01:19 PM
The main thing is to become proficient with what you have. Don't be a turd with a $3000 rifle who has to bench it to get a 4" group at 50 yards.

Ratshooter
October 16, 2007, 02:21 PM
My wife use to complain about buying guns and finally gave yp. She came to the conclusion that i am going to do what i want. What helped a lot was when i have sold guns and made anywhere from a few dollars to a couple of hundred dollars on the sale. She realizes that the guns are like money in the bank.

Stay away from cheap junk. You always lose when you try to sale it. If you do want to sale something don't get in a hurry. One of my shooting buddies does this repeatedly. He will get in a bind and sell guns to a pawn shop. He loses on every gun he sells. He sold 4 guns in the paper recently and said he picked up $2100.00 in cash. Sounds good except that he had nearly $3000.00 worth of guns.

Kimber1911_06238
October 16, 2007, 02:26 PM
hahaha....it's not getting any less expensive. Compared to many on here you're a lightweight.

Welcome to the addiction.

dscottw88
October 16, 2007, 02:31 PM
Only being 20.. and low in cash has been somewhat of a good situation for me as it has limited me to get something new only every 3, 4 or 6 months. Although it makes me angry at times because I can't buy anything like a auto-ordnance thompson SBR or M1A. Ahhh... some day my friends... some day.

ScottsGT
October 16, 2007, 02:47 PM
Poor soul....You still have yet to catch Garanditis. It's all over then. Especially when the CMP offers such great deals on them along with .30-06 ammo for less than you can reload them for. I too have many hobbies. One on the sideline now is restoring my '66 Mustang GT fastback. Had a major bathroom remodel for the past 5 years :banghead: and now the wife has decided to go back to school, so we are going to be living off student loans for the next 3 years. (Oh, and my pitiful state income too) so the GT is still on the back burner for at least 3 more years. I also build plastic scale models. I'm takling about kits in the $75 to $150 range, then you add on all the aftermarket acessories, paint, bla, bla, bla.....I've got about a dozen of the high end kits, but about 100 kits total. Basically, model building is therapy for me and cheaper than counseling.
Then there is the gun collection. Yes collection, because I don't have time to go shooting with 4 kids and the wife working all the time. But latest count, I'm at 25 firearms. But 2 of those are Garands I put together from CMP woodless Danes that will go to my two sons on their 18th birthday. Currently have 3 Garands, Carbine, 1903A3, M1A, AR-15, several shotguns, Uberti 1866,Hunting rifle is a Marlin .30-30 half a dozen 1911 types including to original Colt WWII's, Python, Ruger SAA's, etc....
I've got a VERY addictive personality, so I steer clear of Golf and drugs!! :D

tinygnat219
October 16, 2007, 10:41 PM
Bear2000,

Yeah, that's a little strong a little quick. However, if you can afford it and have been responsible with your expenses, you should be fine.

I'd enjoy your new firearms and go from there. Just don't get a C&R license for yourself anytime soon. That's a REAL money sink when guns get delivered to your door.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this normal? Or am I out of control?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!