Michigan: Pistol Purchase Permit question.

PDA

onewithgun
October 16, 2007, 06:23 PM
Hello.

I was just wondering if anybody in Michigan can answer a question.

Are the purchase permits issued to you on the spot or is there a wait?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Michigan: Pistol Purchase Permit question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TomN
October 16, 2007, 07:21 PM
In my county I just went to the Sheriff's office and asked for a purchase permit. They had me fill out a gun rule true/false test, then filled out the form and handed it to me on the spot. You have 10 days to use it and then 10 days after buying the pistol to present it to them for a safety "inspection".

BridgeWalker
October 16, 2007, 07:34 PM
It varies with jurisdiction. It is supposed to be an on-demand sort of thing, but at one time my husband was told *several* times to come back later, the right person wasn't in/was on vacation/had a backlog etc. It took several *weeks* Fortunately we finally discovered we were going to the wrong jurisdiction for our address (we had just moved and hadn't yet figured out the weird postal/jurisdictional variation in our neighborhood) and went to the county sheriff, which tool about ten minutes.

onewithgun
October 16, 2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the help.

I appreciate it!

Exmasonite
October 16, 2007, 10:59 PM
+1 on the above... depends where you live.

Meridian Township, for instance, makes you wait 24 hrs while they do a "background check" which is complete BS. What sort of check are they going to do that's more in depth than the NICS check when you actually go to purchase the gun?

oh, and don't even get me started on that "safety inspection" which is for all intensive purposes, gun registration.

TomN
October 17, 2007, 12:12 AM
And the above is the exact reason that I am so glad that I moved back to Indiana!

The Indiana carry permit is recognized in fewer states than the Michigan one is, but I hate the registration that Michigan imposes.

onewithgun
October 17, 2007, 12:40 AM
Which states are Michigan CCW's legal in?

I heard. Indiana and Kentucky. Plus the two states that you don't need a CCW permit in. Alaska and another one. I wanna say Vermont, but I'm probably wrong.

jefnvk
October 17, 2007, 11:02 AM
MI permits are good in pretty much any state that recognizes out of state permits (IIRC 34, and thats a generalization, I'm sure there is an exception or two). Here they are: http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164-17334_17362_22672-60639--,00.html

I've never had a problem walking out with one in Midland Co. A buddy got one in Houghton, from the city police, had to wait till the guy that did them came back from patrol (wasn't long, the guy just had to drive back to the station).

sithanas
October 17, 2007, 11:28 AM
Meridian Township, for instance, makes you wait 24 hrs while they do a "background check" which is complete BS. What sort of check are they going to do that's more in depth than the NICS check when you actually go to purchase the gun?

MI law requires a background check of all state databases in addition to the NICS check performed during the issue of the Handgun Purchase Permit. So it's quite a bit more in depth. Also, the idea is that everyone who has purchased a pistol will have undergone the background check, which is why the permit is for pistols only. Long guns need not apply.

Most likely the reason they do the 24hour wait is they drop it on a Lt's desk and say "here, do this." My local PD does the same, but you can get faster response time by asking them to rush it (if the Lt is around) or by asking the Lt in person to handle it.

YZR
October 17, 2007, 12:04 PM
Your best bet is to get a CCW (CPL) and then you don't need any permits to purchase. You still need to take it in for the "safety inspection".

Exmasonite
October 17, 2007, 12:06 PM
amen to that, YZR!

Landric
October 17, 2007, 12:08 PM
I have a dream that one day I will be a person responsible for issuing CCW/CHP and/or purchase permits in a state that is not shall issue. I want to be one of those guys that treats the law as "shall issue" and issues to all law abiding citizens. That way I can fly in the face of politics.

I live and work in a shall issue state now, but I hope one day to be police chief, and perhaps that will be in a may issue state where the police chief is responsible for issue of permits.

Trebor
October 17, 2007, 01:50 PM
onewithgun,

Check your PM's

Fisherman_48768
October 17, 2007, 06:25 PM
Contact your Mi. state representative and have them support HB4490. A bill to do away with safety inspections/registrations and destroy all records.

MichaelJ07
October 18, 2007, 08:47 AM
Your best bet is to get a CCW (CPL) and then you don't need any permits to purchase.

I thought it the other way around. Purchase the handgun then apply for the CCW. If what you say is correct, getting the CCW first would be much less complicated. Don't you need the handgun for the shooting range time that is required?

Thanks for the help.
Michael

Geno
October 18, 2007, 09:05 AM
Get your MCPL and you don't need the green card to purchase. Most ranges only care to see that you are 21+.

Doc2005

Exmasonite
October 18, 2007, 09:19 AM
I thought it the other way around. Purchase the handgun then apply for the CCW. If what you say is correct, getting the CCW first would be much less complicated. Don't you need the handgun for the shooting range time that is required?

Thanks for the help.
Michael

michael-

couple options there:
1) pony up, deal w/ the BS of the permit and do it once to get the gun before CPL
2) borrow gun for CCW class
3) some places (like total firearms in mason) will let you use some of their range guns if you take their CCW course. I already had a gun but wish i hadn't brought it. He said that he'd get out several different guns to let you try and figure out why you liked, you just had to buy the ammo.

MichaelJ07
October 18, 2007, 09:26 AM
Exmasonite,

Thanks for the list of options. I think I'll either opt for a borrowed gun or drive on up to Mason (not far from Adrian) and use one of their guns.

Appreciate the help!
Michael

Exmasonite
October 18, 2007, 10:40 AM
michael-

to be on the safe side, i'd maybe ask that up front. they have numerous range guns for rent but are usually $15/hr. That's what they told me when i signed up... then the instructor was like "Hey, use one of our guns..."

there are numerous people involved in teaching that course. the way they do the range time is to have you come before or after the classroom time to do the range work. i would recommend waiting until AFTER the class to do the range work. that way, hopefully that instructor who offers up the free gun usage can be identified and then you can make sure you ask him to do the range time.

that being said, i'd already purchased my XD .40 and wanted every opportunity to use it so i didn't take advantage of the opportunity. i'm kicking myself now. chalk it up to a rookie mistake.

good luck. it was a great course and their legal guy is top notch. entertaining and smart.

Landor
October 18, 2007, 11:25 AM
Here in Oakland I use the Sheriff Sept. Most times the wait in the line to to the counter takes longer then it takes to get your permit.

When I lived in Madison Heights, the local PD did everything in their power to delay your permit.

MichaelJ07
October 18, 2007, 01:32 PM
Is there a cost for taking the NRA course? I see on the app that it's $105 to apply.

Thanks.
Michael

Landor
October 18, 2007, 01:43 PM
That depends on the instructor. I have seen classes as low as $80 and as high as $200. Then a $105 cost to apply for your CPL. Some PD will charge you for finger printing also. $10 I think.

onewithgun
October 18, 2007, 01:54 PM
Yeah I lived in Madison Heights for a while.

The cops there seemed "Gestapoish". I figured getting a purchase permit from them would be harder.

I'm in Sterling Heights now so I shouldn't have any trouble!

jefnvk
October 18, 2007, 02:51 PM
2) borrow gun for CCW class

Big no-no to borrow a pistol, unless you already have a CPL, or you get it transfered to yourself, or the owner is with you.

BridgeWalker
October 18, 2007, 02:54 PM
Well, just found out Lansing does permits only on Mon/Wed/Fri, and only at the polic headquarters downtown. :mad:

CPLs this winter for the whole family....

Exmasonite
October 18, 2007, 03:14 PM
jefnvk-

i guess i was meaning bring owner with you (a buddy who wants CPL also) but i admittedly wasn't clear. very good point.

and if you have the CPL, why take the course? i guess a good refresher...

Trebor
October 18, 2007, 04:11 PM
Most instructors will have pistols for rent or loan for their students.

For example, I charge a small fee for the use of my guns to offset the extra wear and tear and cleaning. That lets you try any of the guns I have though and I usually bring four or five different kinds of guns.

jefnvk
October 18, 2007, 04:51 PM
Oh, I wasn't being specific for the class. Just pointing out how you could legally borrow a pistol.

Thain
October 18, 2007, 07:48 PM
Well, just found out Lansing does permits only on Mon/Wed/Fri, and only at the polic headquarters downtown.

CPLs this winter for the whole family....

And this, ladies and gents, is why I love my wife. This is goign to be the best Christmas ever!

YZR
October 19, 2007, 02:48 PM
I got my CPL prior to purchasing my first hand gun. It was not a problem and came with the class. I don't remember the cost but it was well worth it.

MichaelJ07
October 19, 2007, 09:13 PM
Ok, my brain and I must be slowing down with age. Just realized that in order to hunt in Michigan with a handgun, one must get a CPL. If one (myself) attains a CPL to use a handgun hunting, it also gives me the right to carry a concealed weapon in Michigan. Problem is, I will now need TWO different handguns and TWO different holsters! (if I choose to CC.) Yikes! I just went broke! Wish I hadn't sold those handguns 10 years ago! :cuss:

Now, do I thank you folks for helping me go broke, or do I thank you folks for helping me get some new firearms?

onewithgun
October 19, 2007, 09:45 PM
Now, do I thank you folks for helping me go broke, or do I thank you folks for helping me get some new firearms?

I guess if the first part helped to achieve the second then you might say thanks!

Thanks everybody for your posts. Good information for Michigan residents.

If you enjoyed reading about "Michigan: Pistol Purchase Permit question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!