Remington 870 bayonet lugs

PDA

Slater
July 13, 2003, 11:35 AM
Many (if not most) military 870's that I've seen have the capability for mounting a bayonet. I think this through the use of a purpose-designed muzzle clamp. Can these be bought commercially? Admittedly this would be probably more for the "coolness" factor than anything else:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 870 bayonet lugs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NIGHTWATCH
July 17, 2003, 02:01 AM
I dont think its legal, but I hope Im wrong. :D Id like to know myself.

clubsoda22
July 17, 2003, 02:36 AM
Slater, out of shells, charges down range, impaling the paper shillouette. He Then drops the target stand with the quick swipe of his buttstock. holding his shotgun over his head he roars a mighty roar "I AM ALL THAT IS MAN!"

:D

Nightcrawler
July 17, 2003, 06:08 AM
Perfectly legal on a pump shotgun.

The military used to have a really cool looking barrel band/bayo lug assembly they used on their 870s, but I understand they're very hard to find.

9mmMike
July 17, 2003, 09:17 AM
These things pop up on ebay a few times a year. They go for silly prices considering that they are just glorified mag-extension barrel clamps.
If someone made an aftermarket one, I'd get one for the cool factor as well.
There is not much to them actually and yes they are perfectly legal on your pump gun in the US (can't vouch for PRNJ or Kali though).
Mike

dfariswheel
July 17, 2003, 12:45 PM
Originally, the Remington 870/1100 guns were part of a Remington military development project which included the ability to mount a bayonet.

When Remington designed the magazine extension, they designed in a bayonet mounting feature, and since they saw no need to do a redesign over the years, the extensions still have the bayonet mount ability.

The front of the extension has an extended nose cap that projects past the muzzle. This is the mount for the bayonet ring.

The body of the extension has a groove around it that provides an interlock for the mounting screw of the barrel clamp.
This positions the clamp on the extension, and locks it in position.

The original magazine extension kit had as an option, a bayonet mounting stud, or lock that could be attached to the bottom of the barrel clamp.

The clamp still has the mounting hole in the bottom of the clamp, which can also be used as a mount for a sling swivel.

To convert a Remington factory magazine extension to accept a bayonet, it's only necessary to find a bayonet mounting stud or lock from an M14 rifle. Cut the stud off and either attach it with a screw or simply weld it to the bottom of the Remington extension barrel clamp.

The groove in the extension correctly positions the clamp with the lock stud in the correct position to lock the bayonet in place, and the original nose cap of the extension accepts the bayonet ring.

I've been called on to do this conversion occasionally, and it usually requires nothing more than picking up an M14 flash hider with a bayonet lock stud to use as a "donor".

The military decided the Remington system wasn't strong enough, so they designed their own, more massive unit, that uses a heavy muzzle cover-like arrangement.

Fastlane
July 17, 2003, 12:46 PM
Bayonets on shotguns, shotguns that you can hunt large critters with at 60 to 75 yards. I am glad I joined this forum I have learned more here in several weeks than 40 years of hunting with a shotgun. :)

dfariswheel
July 17, 2003, 10:22 PM
Obviously, in 40 years you didn't do much REAL hunting, or you'd realize how useful a bayonet equipped shot guns is.

If you've ever had to face the charge of a crazed, aggressive, wounded chipmunk, you'd understand how effective it is in fending the little beggar off until you can finish him with one of the 75 yard super-accurate slugs.

Gewehr98
July 18, 2003, 11:15 PM
Uncle Sam, especially his Misguided Children, used them, they were called the Remington 870 Mark 1, which allowed the standard M16 bayonets to be mounted. Remington even sold a boxed conversion kit, that included the magazine tube extension, extended magazine spring, 2-piece barrel clamp/bayo lug/sling swivel, and the three bolts that held it all together. All exterior metal was parkerized. I bought two of the boxed kits at a gunshow in Sacramento about 8 years ago. One is installed, after slotting the barrel clamp for the front rifle sight, on my reworked WalMart 870 Express HD gun:

http://mauser98.com/870trenchsmall.jpg

The bayonet mount is fairly straightforward, the diameter of the magazine tube steps down and decreases just enough at the muzzle end to fit the bayonet's ring. The sling swivel boss on the lower magazine tube clamp has the stud for the bayonet's latch mechanism. When I get a chance, I'll take a close-up digicam picture to post here.

Gewehr98
July 19, 2003, 11:19 PM
First, from the right side, showing the factory 870 Mark 1 parkerized magazine extension tube, upper barrel clamp half, lower magazine tube clamp half, the three bolts that hold them together, the combination sling swivel/bayonet lock stud, and the bayonet ring mount stepped down at the end of the magazine tube:

http://mauser98.com/870mk1right.jpg

Gewehr98
July 19, 2003, 11:22 PM
The original 870 Mark 1 kit used a bead front sight, which I ended up milling out and slotting for the 870 deer barrel sight, with extra-full turkey choke, as seen here:

http://mauser98.com/870mk1left.jpg

Gewehr98
July 19, 2003, 11:25 PM
Not a good nightstand gun with the sharp thing mounted, BTW. :eek:

http://mauser98.com/870mk1leftblade.jpg

c_yeager
July 20, 2003, 03:59 AM
Let me be the first to say that that is one of the COOLEST shotguns i have ever seen.

Just an FYI, if you dont feel like going to aftermarket route mossberg makes a shotgun complete with the bayonet lug intact (the 590 model). If you shop around they can be had in the same price range as a regular 870 express.

Dave McCracken
July 20, 2003, 07:42 AM
Hmm, interesting, and a nice looking setup. All the work you put in on it is appreciated.

A coupla questions...

First, how's slug accuracy? IME, barrel clamps stiffen the barrel, make the vibrations consistent, and tighten groups.

Second, where did you find that choke tube?

Thanks...

jerryd
July 20, 2003, 09:49 AM
Have the moss 590a with bayo and m9 bayo, looks good but the norinco 97 with the bayonet looks even better!!! If they are that close i dont want to be there!!!!

Gewehr98
July 20, 2003, 11:57 AM
Problem was, it just wasn't a Remington 870. :D

The Norinco 97 trench replica has cool written all over it, doesn't it?

Dave, the funniest thing is, I've NEVER run slugs through this gun. The Extra Full turkey choke and smoothbore deer barrel was intended for the gun's standard HD load, 3" Magnum 000 Buck. The pattern out to 50 yards is still very tight, definitely Minute-of-Heavily-Clothed-Bad-Guy. They group right where the front sight and rear ramp say they should.

I've got the rifled choke and cylinder choke that came with the barrel, I should try some slugs. Sounds like another R. Lee Ermey justification to punish recalcitrant watermelons and paper targets.

That's a factory Remington Extra Full Turkey choke. As sold in the blister pack, hanging on the shotgun accessories rack at Sports Authority or Wal-Mart.

I have to remind folks, this is a HEAVY 870. Not exactly a wingshooter. It maneuvers pretty well with the 20" barrel, and the Monte-Carlo Speedfeed stock does a great job with rifle sight picture and absorbing recoil.

My hunting shotguns are a restored early Remington Model 11, and a later-vintage Browning Auto-5. This gun was assembled in Citrus Heights, CA after a couple home-invasion attempts in our neighborhood. These guys were brutal, having killed the occupants of houses for very little monetarily, and my wife wasn't too pleased with me flying away from home 200+ days out of the year. This 870, and some training with some sheriff deputy friends of mine, put her at ease. In the wee hours of one morning, she sent one angry door-pounder/kicker on his way via racking the 870 in sight of the aggressor. Sheriff's department said the guy was probably trying to do business with the duplex's previous occupants. Needless to say, we were so glad to move away from there in 1999 when I got orders...

Dave McCracken
July 21, 2003, 05:39 AM
Thanks for that, try a few different 5 packs of Forster and Brenekke types of slugs, bet you've a pleasant surprise in store.

By eyeball, that thing weighs nigh 9 lbs. Kick should be quite manageable, even
with 3" Mag buck.

Leapdog
August 31, 2011, 11:16 PM
Gewehr98-
Would you be so kind as to measure and PM dimensions of MK1 bayo lug clamp? Inside width of the clamp where the screws go through? the length from front to back of the top piece? Length front to back at the very most bottom of the bottom piece? Thickness of the material? perhaps a photo from the front view?

Thanks

Fred Fuller
September 1, 2011, 12:06 AM
Leapdog,

This thread's eight years old, and Gewehr98 hasn't visited THR since Christmas Day last year. I'm afraid your question might not get an answer, from this particular member anyway...

http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=106

lpl

Leapdog
September 1, 2011, 12:10 AM
I hope someone can give dimensions- I would like to see if I can make one.

Fred Fuller
September 1, 2011, 12:28 AM
It'll take a good hydraulic press and the appropriate dies to form the basic parts for the 870 Mk I clamshell, unless you're good with the hammers and very patient to boot. There might be alternatives, perhaps -

http://sjhardware.com/870Bayo.html

http://tacticalshotgunner.com/bayonet-lug-mount-for-the-remington-870-p-137.html

And occasionally the real thing turns up for sale on eBay, GunBroker etc.

hth,

lpl

Freightman
September 1, 2011, 02:41 PM
COOL! don't even have a shot gun but that is tempting, that would scare a burglar into a involuntary dump, and wet breaches.

Leapdog
September 2, 2011, 10:19 AM
I can build one, but I need the dimensions to make a print from. Most of the measurements I can get from the gun. But length front to back I's something I need.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 870 bayonet lugs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!