Another student "Thought Crime"

PDA

TexasRifleman
October 17, 2007, 10:39 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,302557,00.html

OK the idiot wore a bullet proof vest to school, he's a moron.

He's also 18 and purchasing a shotgun and AK47 is perfectly legal, so is videotaping your dorky friends shooting it.

Looking past all the hype and BS, the kid had a can of pepper spray in his car. That's all?
Yeah yeah, it's a "grenade"......once again perfectly legal to own at age 18.

How do you get a charge of grand theft when the same article says he purchased all this stuff?

Sloppy reporting again, at it's best.

I don't know why I bother to read the news any longer.

Who knows what really happened here....
And I'm not saying the guy is a saint either, he may have really been planning something, but the way the press approaches these things is what really gets me.

An 18-year-old Florida student was arrested Monday after officials informed police he was wearing a bullet-proof vest on school property.

Shawn Keiffer Newberry, 18, of Lakeland, Fla., is facing charges of armed trespassing, grand theft and criminal mischief after police found the student had purchased body armor, a Taser, AK-47s, a shotgun, gas mask and ammunition among other items, officials said.

A search warrant executed on the student's home found a video showing Newberry and four others using the AK-47s for target practice.

Officials notified police Monday that Newberry was wearing a bullet-proof vest at the Life Skills Center in Lakeland. Newberry, officials said, was evasive when asked about the vest and a search of his vehicle turned up "Clear Out," a chemical agent used to temporarily incapacitate a person.

Article from a local new station in Florida:

A possible school tragedy may have been prevented in Polk County this week.

Shawn Newberry, 18, was arrested Monday in Lakeland after authorities said he was stockpiling weapons.

According to Lakeland police, Newberry came to school at the Life Skills Center wearing body armor.

Police said Newberry had purchased body armor, a TASER, three AK-47s, a shotgun, grenades, a tactical helmet, a gas mask, and approximately 2,000 rounds of ammunition since January.

Police also found a video in the home of the teen that allegedly showed Newberry using a newspaper box for target practice.

Lakeland police are also looking for two other teenagers seen in the video.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another student "Thought Crime"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LiquidTension
October 17, 2007, 10:47 AM
So...what exactly did the kid do wrong? I'm guessing that the "grenades" are a delusion of the reporter.

Autolycus
October 17, 2007, 10:51 AM
Probably deactivated grenades or some smoke grenades. The standards of good reporting have not been met in this article.

I would like to know what exactly he did and what he stole that he was charged with grand theft.

TexasRifleman
October 17, 2007, 10:52 AM
Well I got curious and I did find a vendor selling the pepper spray stuff and the maker does call it a "grenade" so I guess the press gets a pass for that one this time :) Sorta.....

Aerko International Clear Out 6oz Tear Gas Grenades are ideal for control and disbursement of crowds, or securing of a confined area. They are hand held units that are designed for throwing. The unique "Lock-On" style provides for a continuous discharge of the contents of the grenade. The unit will spin in a 360-degree circle if you throw it onto a hard surface, delivering maximum coverage.

frankcostanza
October 17, 2007, 10:52 AM
wow if they call 2 guns, a taser and a vest a "weapons cache" what does that make most of our collections? :neener:

Bacchus
October 17, 2007, 10:53 AM
I just read the report on fox news and was wondering the exact same thing...no mention of what he did, other than wearing a vest on school property.

El Tejon
October 17, 2007, 10:54 AM
What's the beef, chief?:confused:

What do they say he nicked?:confused:

BridgeWalker
October 17, 2007, 10:58 AM
The "grand theft" in quote #1 probably refers to the newspaper box in #2...

RoadkingLarry
October 17, 2007, 10:59 AM
Police also found a video in the home of the teen that allegedly showed Newberry using a newspaper box for target practice.

Probably charged with stealing the newspaper box.
As far as the bullet proof vest goes I think in light of past events not a bad idea for campus wear;).

Now, what I want to know- Did he have a weapon on campus? or is wearing the body armor considered being armed? Is his home a dorm? if not then from what I see there should be hell to pay for messing with this kid.
If he and friends did steal a paper box then yeah, nail 'em for that but I would not be surprised to find out the box was already at the "range".

jerkface11
October 17, 2007, 11:03 AM
So he's in jail for a dress code violation?

MASTEROFMALICE
October 17, 2007, 11:12 AM
What we need is a comprehensive list to give to reporters for their spin jobs. Examples would be:

1 revolver = a semi-automatic machine gun
3 guns = a weapons cache
5 guns = an arsenal
A brick of .22 = Thousands of rounds of ammunition for the above mentioned semi-automatic machine gun

And so on and so forth.

wow if they call 2 guns, a taser and a vest a "weapons cache" what does that make most of our collections?

plexreticle
October 17, 2007, 11:15 AM
I guess I should go turn myself in.

Seancass
October 17, 2007, 11:41 AM
this is the exact reason i watch the websites i visit online. I've never broken a law in my life, and yet any minute somebody could walk in saying i am conspiring to commit a crime just because i own a gun. actually, i apparently own a large weapons cache with access to an arsenal. i do have a lot of ammunition because like anybody i stock up when the price is right, then shoot it down over the course of several months.

I feel like i cant go to website like Glocktalk because glocks are evil, and i dont really care about them. But i shouldnt be worried that just because i looked at machine guns i cant possible buy that cops are going to come in and arrest me. I have no interest in harming anyone, i dont even hunt, but that doesnt save me from profiling if i go to the wrong website. it's just disgusting. was this guy crazy and waiting for his day in the news? maybe, but the story has the actual events massively over blown. he shot at a box and this is an important addition to the story?

here i am in the land of the free wondering if it's even ok to speak my mind!

ClickClickD'oh
October 17, 2007, 11:44 AM
Okay... so we can't wear our firearm on campus to defend ourselves... because the law abiding, background checked, trained firearms owners are too dangerous.. And we can't wear body armor to hopefully stay alive when the non law abiding, non background checked, non trained criminal thugs open fire? Okay, can we bring razors to slit our wrists and make our impending deaths that much faster?

rino451
October 17, 2007, 11:52 AM
here i am in the land of the free wondering if it's even ok to speak my mind!

Sure, as long as you're with the media...

Chris B
October 17, 2007, 11:57 AM
I go to college in Florida as well. Yesterday, during class discussion, my teacher asked me what I'm interested in. I was actually pondering the 12 Guage Rifle From Hell thread at that moment so without thinking I said "Guns". The ENTIRE class (mostly girls) turned to look at me after I said that and most of them were looking like I was the VT shooter.

There was another thread about a student who was detained by police because a fellow student had called police because she saw him on one of these forums discussing the process of purchasing a firearm in CA. When she called the police she said he was discussing the illegal purchase of machineguns or something else that was completely inaccurate. In the end the police searched him to make sure he wasn't armed and let him go.

Bottom line is that it's probobly best to keep your enthusiasm for firearms a secret on campus. I will be from now on.

K3
October 17, 2007, 12:03 PM
Bottom line is that it's probobly best to keep your enthusiasm for firearms a secret on campus. I will be from now on.

And then they win again.

One key to the RKBA fight is desensitization. The antifreedom folks want the exact reaction from the masses that you got when you said 'guns'. I'd answer 'guns' again if asked. The more the mass of uninformed media followers hear and see examples of guns as nothing more than the inanimate tools they are, the less likely they are to cower in sheer terror at the utterance of a three letter word.

PPGMD
October 17, 2007, 12:04 PM
Pointless, it doesn't sound like they had a serious threat, just the kid being goofy wearing his vest to school.

Basically this is another step in vilifying gun owners.

Doggy Daddy
October 17, 2007, 12:13 PM
There was just a quick bit on this kid on Fox News. They said he had 3 AK assault rifles, a shotgun, and 2000 rounds of ammo. They also mentioned that he engaged in weapons training.

Yeah. It'd be so much better if he DIDN'T train!

Plinking = weapons training now? :barf:

K3
October 17, 2007, 12:14 PM
Plinking = weapons training now?

Well, you never know when an aluminum can is going to go postal...

RLsnow
October 17, 2007, 12:17 PM
poor kid, im sure hes not having a pleasant time with all this

MilsurpShooter
October 17, 2007, 12:20 PM
Talk about convoluted facts, makes it sound like this kid got charged with "armed trespassing, grand theft and criminal mischief"

Just for having

"purchased body armor, a Taser, AK-47s, a shotgun, gas mask and ammunition among other items, officials said."

Be interesting to see once more facts and clarifications come about

crebralfix
October 17, 2007, 01:13 PM
So is it against the law in his state to wear body armor in public or in a school? Is it against the law for him to purchase various weapons?

PPGMD
October 17, 2007, 01:16 PM
I believe the law in Florida that body armor is only prohibiting during the commissioning of a felony. The gas grenade might be illegal, but I doubt it because for the most part only explosives are prohibited under Florida law.

Blackbeard
October 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
I think it's time to charge all the reporters with inciting violence for their reporting of school shootings. Obviously after the first one they are all copycats that would not have happened without the broadcast media putting the idea in their malformed little heads.

The first amemdment was never intended to allow people to incite violence. The framers never imagined electronic media that enables people to reach millions at once. The first amendment should only apply to hand-powered printing presses.

Prince Yamato
October 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
Wasn't 'giving all students bullet-proof vests' one of the suggestions by the antis after the VT shooting? Isn't the kid just following their advice?

Ghost Tracker
October 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
Again, you've got an individual being subjected to Trial in the Court of Public Opinion with a biased, uneducated media goofus providing all the "evidence".

If you can get arrested for what you're thinking, then at this point they better come put the cuffs on me 'cause I thinking we need to declare Open Season on...reporters!

wally
October 17, 2007, 01:43 PM
Bottom line is that it's probobly best to keep your enthusiasm for firearms a secret on campus. I will be from now on

And when they come for the jews, look the other way....

--wally.

ColinthePilot
October 17, 2007, 01:46 PM
I was under the impression that one needed a license of some sort to own body armor. I'm also pretty sure that pepper spray is considered a weapon in the context of a school in florida; not allowed on campus. And If he's stockpiling, I don't want to know what I'm getting ready to shoot up.

Originally posted by Chris BI go to college in Florida as well. Yesterday, during class discussion, my teacher asked me what I'm interested in. I was actually pondering the 12 Guage Rifle From Hell thread at that moment so without thinking I said "Guns". The ENTIRE class (mostly girls) turned to look at me after I said that and most of them were looking like I was the VT shooter.

There was another thread about a student who was detained by police because a fellow student had called police because she saw him on one of these forums discussing the process of purchasing a firearm in CA. When she called the police she said he was discussing the illegal purchase of machineguns or something else that was completely inaccurate. In the end the police searched him to make sure he wasn't armed and let him go.

Nahh, don't keep it quiet. Make friends with the hottest terrified girl in the class. I don't care how anti she is. Chances are she's simply inexperienced. Invite her out to the range. Guaranteed to get a second date, provided the first weapon you give her to shoot is something unintimidating. Don't hand her a .45 or your favorite $#**kicking moose rifle. Give her a .22, something she can handle. Invite her over the night before and pick a few weapons to familiarize her with, along with a good first-timer's safety lesson.
My buddy and I did this with a couple Irish girls who were spending their summer in Daytona Beach. The only time either one had ever seen a gun was on a cop's belt in Heathrow. We had them over and showed them our big bad scary assault rifles (SKS's) and a few others, went over the basics of shooting safety, I grilled up some steaks for dinner and we took them to the range the next day. Got to introduce two people to guns and the personal results were good too.

MASTEROFMALICE
October 17, 2007, 01:46 PM
Interestingly enough, I had made that same argument after the LA riots. No one mentioned that King was a lunatic and a criminal who was running from and fighting the police. The media showed the same five seconds of video over and over again and told one tenth the story.

The result? You saw it. The media wanted hype so they made their own and we all paid the price.

I think it's time to charge all the reporters with inciting violence for their reporting of school shootings. Obviously after the first one they are all copycats that would not have happened without the broadcast media putting the idea in their malformed little heads.

highfive
October 17, 2007, 01:58 PM
I'm still wondering.....what he got arrested for???? :eek: For purchasing guns and ammo, isn't the guy 18, legal I'm guessing. Well I'll be waiting to see what happens....

BReilley
October 17, 2007, 02:02 PM
You've got to admit it looks bad when you walk into *school* wearing body armor. Sure, he might've been trying to make a political statement - but that kind of symbolic action seems to be taken more by the anti-gun crowd.

As for shooting at a newspaper box, who knows? You find ALL KINDS of junk like that out in the desert here in Arizona. Just because it's there doesn't mean "I" put it there, and well... if I saw a rusty old newspaper box in the desert, I'd assume some junkie scored meth money out of it and left it... and then I'd probably shoot at it, too.

All in all I'd want to slap the guy for being an idiot wearing armor to school - I mean... come on. The kid is irresponsible and gives the rest of us a bad image as "gun people" - but criminal? Not in my eyes, not without something else to go on.

Fletchette
October 17, 2007, 02:02 PM
Mark my words: people, probably students first, will start being questioned for checking the "wrong" books out of the library. After that, those "wrong" books will be disposed of.

Universities do NOT promote free thought. They promote conformity under the guise of anarchy.

zxcvbob
October 17, 2007, 02:05 PM
It looks to me like they somehow used the armored vest to get a search warrant for his house, then went on a fishing expedition. Probably arrested him for armed tresspass, etc. from the contents of the video of him shooting up a newspaper box.

It would be interesting to see what the warrant was specifically for...

jefnvk
October 17, 2007, 02:10 PM
I think the question to be asking, is it illegal to have whatever gas grenade he had at school.

If so, it probably wasn't the best idea to draw attention to ones self with a kevlar vest.

Fletchette
October 17, 2007, 02:13 PM
Blackbeard said:

You might have a case here, if you could tie it to the classic "screaming 'fire' in a movie theatre" argument. If the reporters knowingly terrify people with false information then they can be charged.

You would have to prove damages, though. The case cited, where a student is arrested for having a bullet resistant vest, would be damages. He would not have worn the vest (not that this is illegal) and therefore never have been arrested, if it was not for reporters knowingly terrifying people with false information. A lawsuit (actually several, against the reporters and the police) is justified.

The first amemdment was never intended to allow people to incite violence. The framers never imagined electronic media that enables people to reach millions at once. The first amendment should only apply to hand-powered printing presses.

Sarcasm noted.;)

TexasRifleman
October 17, 2007, 02:54 PM
I was under the impression that one needed a license of some sort to own body armor.

Certainly not here in Texas. Body armor generally only becomes a crime if you are wearing it when you commit a violent offense, then it becomes one of those "piling on" things.

Ithaca37
October 17, 2007, 04:07 PM
Why couldn't he have been wearing the vest out of fear of another school shooting? There have been several in the past few weeks.

Did he threaten anyone? I am still unsure why he got in trouble?

6_gunner
October 17, 2007, 04:22 PM
On what basis was a search warrant issued for his house???

As far as I can tell, he didn't do anything illegal.

How did they know he was wearing a bullet-proof vest? Aren't they normally worn under one's clothing? If he was wearing it outside his regular clothing, is it possible that is was supposed to be some sort of protest to the denial of the right to self defence on campus?

The whole thing sounds fishy to me. I don't think we're getting all the information.

Creature
October 17, 2007, 04:25 PM
*deleted*

The Annoyed Man
October 17, 2007, 04:30 PM
Don't Tase Me Bro'!!! :p

Stephen21B
October 17, 2007, 04:44 PM
This is why I joined the Army instead of going to college I can only imagine what the media would say if my house was searched...

macadore
October 17, 2007, 04:58 PM
When I was in college (a long long time ago) many of us kept shotguns in our dorm rooms so we could go hunting without having to drive many miles to our homes to get our guns. I guess that would make us criminals by today’s standards.

strat81
October 17, 2007, 04:58 PM
This is why I joined the Army instead of going to college I can only imagine what the media would say if my house was searched...
So? That just means that you'd be described as a former soldier and current mercenary instead of a college student due to your "scary cache of evil weapons and ammunition!!!" You are now extra lethal since you have military training. And, regardless of what you did in the service, you will become an estranged former Special Ops Black Beret Operator SEAL Ranger.

And in all seriousness, thank you for serving.

ishida
October 17, 2007, 05:50 PM
Hm. I seriously wonder what would happen if I were to wear a bullet-resistant vest to school, and was found out...

"Hey dude, let me try and stab you with my pencil!" probably. And many of us know that a bullet-resistant vest isn't all that much knife-resistant.

yesit'sloaded
October 17, 2007, 05:54 PM
Bullet Resistant Vest-$200
Surplus Gas Mask-$25
Semiauto AK Copy-$400
Video Camera-$200
Tear Gas Grenade-$15
Tazer-$350
Shotgun-$200
Getting arrested and charged with a felony for not being in line with the liberal norm-not exactly priceless, I bet it'll cost him dearly.

Ridgeway
October 17, 2007, 06:08 PM
i'd love to see the police report b/c i can't tell much from that report
what was the actual crime? i see the 'charges', but what was the crime?

ok stupid (and uncomfortable) to wear the vest- but honestly can one blame him? most schools prohibit ccdw leaving more defensive/safety options (i'd be interested to know why he was wearing it though- likely there is more to the true story)
i assume the vest was worn outside/on top of his reg. clothes thus was alot more conspicuous- unless he was just trying to make a statement, logic advise wearing it underneath...

I go to college in Florida as well. Yesterday, during class discussion, my teacher asked me what I'm interested in. I was actually pondering the 12 Guage Rifle From Hell thread at that moment so without thinking I said "Guns". The ENTIRE class (mostly girls) turned to look at me after I said that and most of them were looking like I was the VT shooter.

i know what you mean, i avoid going to forums like gt w/the big gun banners on top after reading the post you mentioned about some1 calling the police for a student looking @ a gun site
thehighroad is @ least low key & pretty safe i think

TexasRifleman
October 17, 2007, 06:15 PM
Tampa Florida reporter claims to have exchanged emails with this with the guy.

“All that can be stated is there is no criminal intent nor was there, things are being blown out of proportion.”

That's from Tampa Bay channel 10 website, but it won't link directly.

TexasRifleman
October 17, 2007, 06:18 PM
Here it is, the thought crime. A flat out admission that nothing was going on except fear mongering.

From the local police that arrested the kid:

"The concern here, I believe, is if he were to become of that mind set," Smith said. "He would have the skills, the opportunity and the resources to do something if he chose to."

So that tells us all we need to know I think.

As for the bulletproof vest, his mom says

"He was very paranoid and scared of going to school because of all the stuff that happens at school," Jessie Newberry said.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/10/17/295704.html

Joe the Redneck
October 17, 2007, 06:21 PM
OK, a few things to consider.

When you look at the website for the "Lifeskills Center" he was enrolled in, it is full of p.c. words like "at risk youth" and "face many challenges". Back in my day, those words meant "troubled kid."

So a troubled kid shows up at the "school for troubled kids" wearing body armor. I would figure the teachers thought he was going to shoot the place up and wanted to protect himself in case the police decided to return fire.
What his actual intentions were, we'll never know. But on the surface, it looked bad.

Now consider the fact the we just had a school shooting, I understand why people would panic.

I don't think the kid should have been arrested, but what else were the teachers supposed to do? They had to call the cops, the cops had to arrest him.

I hope that it works out for him and everything is OK, but if I had a kid in that school, I'd be greatful they didn't decide to "just hope for the best" when something looked suspicious.

Joe

ClickClickD'oh
October 17, 2007, 06:24 PM
...the cops had to arrest him.

For what crime?

yesit'sloaded
October 17, 2007, 07:41 PM
If I had to go to school with today's troubled youth I would wear a vest too.

"The concern here, I believe, is if he were to become of that mind set," Smith said. "He would have the skills, the opportunity and the resources to do something if he chose to."

Umm...Isn't that every single one of us as well? I don't shoot up a school every day and yet I have the skills, opportunity, and resources to do it. This is nothing more than further evidence of a growing police state and the death of innocent until proven guilty.

cwmcgu2
October 17, 2007, 07:54 PM

I believe the Second Amendment is meant to guarantee that!

RoadkingLarry
October 17, 2007, 08:02 PM
What a crock. I hope this kid can afford a good shyster. Heck if I was to "become of that mind set" I know ways to do a whole lot more damage than a shoot-em-up. The thought police are here quick hide!

Ohio Rifleman
October 17, 2007, 08:03 PM
As far as we know, the kid committed no crime and should not have been arrested. If the vest freaked people out, tough. I could say that people wearing red shirts scares me. Should red shirts be banned from campus then?

JWarren
October 17, 2007, 08:10 PM
OK... he wore a vest.

From what I can gather, a "Life Center" is as mentioned earlier a place for troubled youth-- or it is an Adult Education Center or whatever.

For all we know, it may well be a place you would want a layer of protection.

I know that there are traditional school systems where I may want something like that.

Next... where were these grenades or the taster? With him at school? Or were they at his home and found only after the search?

I am assuming that the firearms and ammunition were at his home-- or there would be no "alleged" in the story.

And finally... Where the HELL is the Grand Theft? I find it amazing how they just gloss over that and move on with NO explaination.

Frankly, I haven't seen ONE illegal thing that this person has done.

There are things that some may do differently, but nothing that comes CLOSE to the damage that they've done to this man already.

I'd be looking for damages.

-- John

Big Boomer
October 17, 2007, 08:12 PM
So, besides the taser, and bullet proof vest I have about everything he does. I think that just about everyone of us could get arrested!

What about the kids that are packing those new "bullet proof" backpacks? That is considered body armor. I guess they should be arrested to.

They should put out an APB on everyone that videos themselves shooting, a quick search of youtube can land multiple suspects!

I keep a gas mask (2) in the house but mainly if I had a fire. I have actually used one of these successfully when I had a fire in an apartment and woke up choking. I put on the gas mask so I could breath and put out the fire. This is why I have one for every family member in the house, they are kept close by in the bedroom.

Oh and a black helmet hrmm, mine aren't black but I've got a few kevlar, old military issue and a couple of steel pots to. Anyone own some of that "evil" tactical camo? I like them for all the pockets, and they are cheap.

I hope the kid learns his lesson about a stupid stunt to get attention but then I hope he sues their a$$ for wrongful arrest.

I had just as much stuff when I was 18 (minus the above listed) and other points have been noted that a bullet proof vest may not be a bad idea in todays public education facilities.

JohnMcD348
October 17, 2007, 08:16 PM
http://www.theledger.com/article/20071017/NEWS/710170537/1039

There's a link to the article in the local paper. I work just a block away from the school where tis man attended. It's one of those places that caters(via govt speical funding) for displaced students and basically is a GED mill. I haven't even been able to catch anything on the local news. The first report I heard was on FoxNews this morning while I was gettting ready for work.

spaceCADETzoom
October 17, 2007, 08:41 PM

BWAAAHAHAHAAAAA!

Yeah, instead you just opened yourself up to random "health & welfare" checks, where your first line is perfectly within legal rights to search your home, belongings, car, etc, forany reason given by the chain.. If you live on post, you now must register your guns with the provost marshal...get a signed permissory memo from your commander...required to store your weapons in your company arms room under a lock and key that you have no rights to. All about force protection..:)

I love the Army. BUt I'm squashing this bug right now. Soldiers do not know anything more about guns in general than anyone else does...they're trained on their individual weapons, and if you're talking about pogues...hoo boy...be afraid. The second we start thinking that "being in the Army" is some special criteria for knowing/owning guns...the second you start believing that antis' BS that you need governmetn madate to privately own. Ask Wesley Clark...or Himmler...

FieroCDSP
October 18, 2007, 01:14 AM
In some places, stealing a newspaper box is considered grand theft, for whatever reason. Kinda like stealing milk-crates. So basicly, they used the fact he was wearing a vest (by his mother's admission because he was concerned for his safety) to search his vehicle at school. They found a can of pepper spray (supposedly a grenade?), which is considered some heinous crime now. We wouldn't want women to have pepper spray in their car or in their purse because they could temporarily blind someone to effect their escape.... They got a warrant, searched his HOME, found the LEGALLY purchased guns and ammo, and a video of him and his friends shooting up a paperbox, generally plinking and having a good time.....

Did I miss anything? Because I'm not seeing any probable cause for alarm here. In fact, it sounds like this guy had an idea to protect himself, unlike ANYONE at the board of education, or whatever group runs the school who has done nothing (like every other school in the nation) to prevent the real killers.

JohnMcD348
October 18, 2007, 01:47 AM
Here's another link from the local news channel discussing the issue.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/10/17/295704.html?title=Stockpile+of+weapons+found+at+teenager's+home (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/10/17/295704.html?title=Sto
ckpile+of+weapons+found+at+teenager's+home)

No matter what others have said here, the man has issues. He came to school wearing a "bullet proof" vest. It was roughly 90* today in Lakeland. I doubt he was cold or just trying to be one of the cool kids. Yes, the neighborhood that this school is located is not in the best part of town but he's 18 years old. He should have enough sense to NOT come to school wearing body armor. He apparently has led something of a sheltered life and was home schooled until he was older and like I'd said in a previous post, this school was a last chance school for kids to get their GED/Diploma. It is not a regular school campus. It was actually a converted Drug store that the county had taken over and remodeled. The pepper spray he had in his vehicle was the large room clearing canisters, not the personal defense type sprays. I guess if carried on the vest with the door penetrator, it wold make an excellent directional non-lethal device.

TexasRifleman
October 18, 2007, 08:21 AM
No matter what others have said here, the man has issues.

And that's the whole problem. He was arrested for having "issues", nothing more.

It does not matter why he wore the vest, why he legally purchased rifles, why he was home schooled for so many years.

If he is that messed up he should be referred to psych counseling, not arrested and charged with whatever they could think of.

We have a guy here who was arrested for being, by his admission and others, just a little paranoid.

Be honest, how many of us on THR could they spin the same story about?

Someone at your work said they saw you participating in a "gun discussion" online.
We have evidence from your computer you wrote about zombie attacks, why?
We have evidence you participated in discussions of the Constitution, are you a homeland security risk?
We got a search warrant and searched your home.
We found 40 weapons and 20,000 rounds of ammo.
We found "explosives" (tannerite, black powder, primers, smokeless powder) and a video of you shooting a machinegun at something called "Knob Creek".
We found where you have done research into what types of ammo work best, tell us of this "Box O Truth"
You were planning a massacre of biblical proportions, we know it. We don't have to prove it, just show that
"you had the skills and resources necessary should you ever decide to act".

Clearly a threat to the planet, into the box you go.

Think about it.

AntiqueCollector
October 18, 2007, 09:10 AM
No matter what others have said here, the man has issues.

But it doesn't appear that he did anything illegal with the body armor or weapons, so it's none of the govt.'s business to be bothering him if he has hurt no one and broken no law. If in fact the newspaper box was stolen, yeah, that's a crime, but not a major one in most places. Certainly not necessitating this overblown fear campaign by the media. If it wasn't stolen or not stolen by him and was already there, then this whole thing is ridiculous.

whited
October 18, 2007, 10:05 AM
I believe the law in Florida that body armor is only prohibiting (sic) during the commissioning of a felony.

:scrutiny:

Moving on, I wasn't aware that it was illegal to wear a protective vest.
Better re-think things now. Next thing you know it will be illegal to wear
steel-toed boots or helmets. Am I missing something here? What exactly
has happened that is illegal? While the police and press are busy patting
themselves on the back, nothing has happened here. He had a hand-
thrown gas projectile? Who cares! If that's the extent of it, give him
a fine and confiscate the thing for Christ's sake.

whited
October 18, 2007, 10:13 AM
Yes, the neighborhood that this school is located is not in the best part of town but he's 18 years old. He should have enough sense to NOT come to school wearing body armor. He apparently has led something of a sheltered life and was home schooled until he was older

I take issue with this post for a variety of reasons. I don't believe
the ethos of the post regarding issues of rights and education are high road.

cpttango30
October 18, 2007, 10:18 AM
HOW and why would it be illegal to wear a bullet proof vest to a school? most of which are a gun free zone I would say the kids was just protecting himself.

I did not read the whole story but if he has no weapons on campus and the onlything he was doing was wearing a vest how is that wrong.

I think all gunowners that attend college should get together and wear a vest to school on the same day. too bad they are so expensive.

Mr White
October 18, 2007, 10:42 AM

I'm betting that he'll walk on all other charges since they're ullbayitshay, but that he'll do state time for this. We simply cannot have people shooting up newspaper boxes in this country. He MUST be made an example of to show other would-be newspaper box shooters that we mean business! This kind of sensless violence MUST STOP!!!

.cheese.
October 18, 2007, 11:47 AM
wow if they call 2 guns, a taser and a vest a "weapons cache" what does that make most of our collections?

a soon to be air strike target?

Dr. Peter Venkman
October 18, 2007, 12:13 PM
He can't bring a gun to school so I guess body armor is the next choice.

Sure, they'll be laughing at him until something happens (hopefully not by him, either).

TheArchDuke
October 18, 2007, 12:47 PM
He was probably wearing the vest just in case someone ELSE wanted to shoot up the school. Smart kid.

brigadier
October 18, 2007, 01:03 PM
These are the charges:

Charge Number: 1
Statute: 810.09(2C) TRESPASSING-PROPERTY ARMED
Charge on arrest docket: ARMED TRESSPASS ON LAND
Bond Type: Bond Number:
Purge Number: Purge/Bond Amount: 0.00
Surety: 500,000.00 Cash: 500,000.00 Bond Exp.: PTR IF BONDS
How Released:
Upgrade/Reduction:

Charge Number: 2
Statute: 812.014(2C1) LARC-THEFT IS 300 OR MORE BUT LESS THAN 5000 DOLS
Charge on arrest docket: GRAND THEFT
Surety: 100,000.00 Cash: 100,000.00 Bond Exp.: IF BONDS PTR
How Released:
Upgrade/Reduction:

Charge Number: 3
Statute: 806.13(1B1) DAMAGE PROP-CRIM MISCH-200 DOLS AND UNDER
Charge on arrest docket: CRIMINAL MISCHIEF
Surety: 5,000.00 Cash: 5,000.00 Bond Exp.: IF BONDS PTR
How Released:
Upgrade/Reduction:

One interesting detail. According to police records, he had been arrested for possession of a weapon on school grounds on the 6th and scheduled release date was the following day (7th. The records you see above come from an arrest made on the 15th. There is definitely allot more to this then we are being told.
What it sounds like is that they realized they had no case, so they used the incident as an excuse to raid his home and try digging up dirt on him and are still trying to find a way to charge him with a crime for wearing body armor in school. I suspect that at least that charge won't hold. theft, I duno, criminal mischief, can't prove that in court unless there is more to the story (and there usually is.
I think one thing is pretty clear above all. He's a goof ball, but he's no real criminal, unless he really is guilty of theft.

ClickClickD'oh
October 18, 2007, 01:14 PM
Looks like they are trying to peg him with theft of the newspaper box and property damage (shooting the newspaper box).

I suspect that their evidence for this is entirely based on the video the seized from the search of his home.

I suspect the defense is going to focus on getting that search thrown out due to a complete and total lack of probable cause. Unless the PD can pull a significant reason for that search the defense probably has a pretty good shot at getting this whole thing tossed.

JohnMcD348
October 18, 2007, 01:24 PM
Here's the latest local paper story. I haven't had a chance to read it yet as I was running off to work and threw the paper on the front porch on the way out but the headline was plainly visible in the wrapper.

http://theledger.com/article/20071018/NEWS/71018002/1039

brigadier
October 18, 2007, 01:37 PM
LOL. The one thing they COULD have had any luck with him on, they didn't charge him with (narcotics. Well, lets see. The road is public property, so unless it was in the city limits, blowing stuff up out there won't hold. MAYBE a fine if it's in state restricted ground. Newspaper box. As already mentioned, no telling where he got it. Finally, all his dad has to do is walk in to court and say exactly what the newspaper report quotes him as saying and criminal mischief is out. Basically, they have no case. Since they found a small amount of Marijuana in his house, they MAY have had a chance at that, but they never charged him with it. One thing I loved was the mention of his knowledge around body armor "You have to shoot for the head or a vital organ." DUH!! Does it take a genius to figure that out? Idiots. No wonder police shoot-outs are so often followed by police funerals.

BTW.
If he's guilty of criminal mischief for wearing body armor in school, then so are thousands of children who now carry those level 2 body armor backpacks.

zxcvbob
October 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
Kid needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. He's getting railroaded here; police are trying to make an example out of him, even though it's not obvious that he did anything illegal.

IANAL, but when police start asking you a bunch of questions, just say "Can I leave now?" If they say no, then you are being detained and have a right to remain silent and a right to an attorney. If they say yes, thank them for their concern, and shut up and leave.

xjchief
October 18, 2007, 01:43 PM
Wow what would they say about me if I was arrested?

I have a bunch of guns including, but not limited to, the evil AK-47 and the black gun of death, the AR15. I have several thousand rounds of ammo for each and a bunch more for the others. I've even got body armor! (So it's a vintage Vietnam ear flak jacket but body armor sounds much more dangerous).

Does it matter that I get a great discount for purchasing ammo in bulk? Does it matter that I have the flak jacket as a part of a display for my M715 truck (I mean my deadly military assault vehicle) that I take to car shows?

Man with all that on my resume already I'm glad I sold my M35A1 this summer! They say I was in the planning phases of world domination.:neener:

yesit'sloaded
October 18, 2007, 01:44 PM
think all gunowners that attend college should get together and wear a vest to school on the same day. too bad they are so expensive.
Nope, but we are wearing empty holsters next week to protest. Check the link in my sig.

ilbob
October 18, 2007, 01:51 PM
I just can't see anything illegal that he did, other than maybe shooting at a newspaper box. But, the article is vague enough the its hard to tell just what that was about.

The really scary part is this:

'Newberry displayed a great knowledge of assault weapons, police body armor, and knowledge of defeating body armor for the purpose of killing human beings,' an officer said in a police report.

The officer wrote that he '...believes Newberry is training and arming himself for some future illegal event.'

So now anyone that can pull a trigger and actually hit the target and understands that the way to defeat body armor is to shoot where it ain't is a threat? And can be locked up with bail set at $600,000???

I sure hope there is more to this than the article reported.

yesit'sloaded
October 18, 2007, 01:52 PM
All I see out of this is a poor kid getting railroaded because he isn't a genius and doesn't have a good lawyer. This could easily have been one of us. He did nothing wrong ( I don't smoke but see nothing wrong with him smoking in the privacy of his own home) and was arrested on false charges. The sheeple are going to stand around and let the media tell them what he was planning. This kid needs a good NRA lawyer and fast. In the past a nation of riflemen would have seen no harm in what he did, but a nation of scared sheeple is going to send him to jail for being scared of his own life.

Ithaca37
October 18, 2007, 04:20 PM
An LPD officer in the store when Newberry purchased the gun asked him why he was buying it. Newberry could not provide a good reason, Dunn said.

'Right about that time interest peaked in him,' Dunn said.

Last time I checked I didn't have to provide a reason for wanting to exercise my rights. Is this something new?

Is that grounds for a police investigation? If so, then the Gestapo really does run things.

The kid may be weird, but he hasn't actually done anything. On what grounds are they doing this to him? Being odd is not a legitimate reason for detaining and harassing someone.

Fedaykin
October 18, 2007, 05:57 PM
after this talk of people getting called in for forum postings maybe i should have been a little more creative w/ my login. oh well. if joe ******bag wants to call me in i'm not all that worried, i'll give them a tour.

TexasRifleman
October 18, 2007, 07:01 PM
after this talk of people getting called in for forum postings maybe i should have been a little more creative w/ my login. oh well. if joe ******bag wants to call me in i'm not all that worried, i'll give them a tour.

Oh don't fret, the Black Helicopter People know who you are anyway :evil:

.cheese.
October 18, 2007, 08:22 PM
Oh don't fret, the Black Helicopter People know who you are anyway

no they don't.... that's why I keep inflatable sex dolls in front of all the windows.

Stephen21B
October 19, 2007, 02:27 PM
Hold on there Spacecadet thats not what I was getting at at all I simply meant that considering the liberal mindset on college campuses going into the military seemed to be a much better choice, I can get all the "schooling" I want and get paid for it and there is always the G.I. bill should I ever choose to go to college in the future, and as for the "searching my home" crack well quite simply I'm a gun nerd like most everyone else on here I've also been practicing the martial arts since I was 7 so a search of my house would uncover Books and videos illustrating how to damage/destroy the human body dozens of martial arts weapons and 40 firearms (mostly hunting rifles and shotguns that I inherited from my grandparents) but also "assault" weapons and pistols and lots of ammo all of which will be staying at the family homestead when I leave for basic. also how do you put those quote boxes in your post?

mike101
October 19, 2007, 04:07 PM
There was a piece on the news a while back about bullet-proof back packs. Some anti-gun pansy parents were all for it. How is this any different?

These days, wearing a vest to school doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

:evil:

Caimlas
October 19, 2007, 08:36 PM
Here's the thing about the press: It's entirely likely that he was arrested under false premises or manufactured evidence. However, the media isn't going to report that, because guns are involved: they want the guy to be guilty of -something- because, after all, he bought a gun.

Oh yeah, and at some schools, it's 100% reasonable to wear a bullet proof vest. There are more than likely some schools in the country where it's more statistically likely for there to be a shooting, stabbing, or other violent attack at the school than it is for it to rain.

spaceCADETzoom
October 20, 2007, 12:07 AM
Hold on there Spacecadet thats not what I was getting at at all[...] A search of my house would uncover [...]martial arts weapons and 40 firearms ... "assault" weapons and pistols and lots of ammo all of which will be staying at the family homestead when I leave for basic. also how do you put those quote boxes in your post?
But that IS what I'M getting at. Just because we're soldiers doesn't mean there's this natural understanding on private gun ownership. THere isn't. Soldiers are just like any other Americans. We run the gamut from "guns should only be for professionals," to "the only gun control is using two hands." And no matter where individuals are on the scale, the nanny-state "force protection" will deny you owning any of those things you mention in the barracks you will most likely be living in after AIT as a jr enlisted man. Even your issued weapon is locked up...and when you're allowed to carry it...you will not have ammunition for it. Life as a private living on post is the ultimate picture of the government "protecting you" from yourself. It is the picture of what many politicians and "well-meaning" soccer moms want in the country.

I am not saying it's right or wrong or necessary. But it is what it is. There are more than plenty of people in uniform that do not want privately owned weapons for any AMerican. And the majority of soldiers do not know anything about guns beyond what they were trained on. Ask Wesley Clark. DOn't think the "culture" is any different than "liberal" college campuses (you don't mean actual liberal, BTW...you're using "liberal" like RUsh Limbaugh, wrongly). The military, by definition is not liberal--it is authoritarian. I am ok with that because we're in this organization by choice, we accept these limits by choice.

The little word balloon puts quote tags in. Or you can type the tags in yourself, border the quote with [ quote ] and [/ quote ] (leave out spaces).

Stephen21B
October 20, 2007, 10:21 AM
Alright I think I understand where your coming from now, thanks for clarifying your views for me and sorry everybody for hijacking this thread.

akattack
October 20, 2007, 10:36 AM
frankcostanza

"wow if they call 2 guns, a taser and a vest a "weapons cache" what does that make most of our collections? " Probably a finding that we are terrorists. I suppose we should expect to be hauled off to GITMO or some such place. The news media really is not worth watching anymore.:(

If you enjoyed reading about "Another student "Thought Crime"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!